Wakeboarder Forum Index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   StatisticsStats   FavoritesFavorites   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages  Log inLog in 
BlogsBlogs   

Any Triathletes?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
E.J.
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

City: Mogadishu

PostPosted: Apr 24, 2009 5:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My trisuit came in the mail yesterday..... Cannot imagine looking like a bigger fool than I look in that thing....Rolling Eyes
ScottyB_RochNY
Addict
Addict

City: Rochester

PostPosted: Apr 24, 2009 6:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm doing my first sprint tri in July. My roommate and best friend do the half ironmans. I have really been enjoying my training so far.
E.J.
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

PostPosted: Apr 25, 2009 1:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That was KICK A$$.....

Wow what a good time.... Cannot wait to do it again..... Very Happy
E.J.
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

PostPosted: Apr 25, 2009 2:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rained for about 12 hours before the race and a lot of the track was a mess..... I am actually somewhat surprised they still ran it off road, that trail is going to need some work.....

Anyway, few photos.... My beautiful wife, who along with some friends did a team tri. She did the bike leg. The bikes, me coming into the finish...bla..bla..bla....

First Tri 4.jpg

Description:
 Filesize:  123.25 KB
 Viewed:  26351 Time(s)

First Tri 3.jpg

Description:
 Filesize:  133.22 KB

First Tri 2.jpg

Description:
 Filesize:  184.88 KB

First Tri 1.jpg

Description:
 Filesize:  194.3 KB

barelfly
Outlaw
Outlaw

City: alb

PostPosted: Apr 26, 2009 7:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

EJ,

congrats on completing! It's a rush to cross the finish line and know you just completed something only a small percentage of the world has done! I bet the mtb leg was pretty cool to do!

I did my second sprint tri two weeks ago. It was brutal - during the bike, it rained the entire time! I had a goal of a sub 1:30 sprint tri, but I was too slow on my transitions and missed my run goal by a minute. Overall - I finished 1:34, which was 8 minutes faster than the tri I did in December. I attached a pic of me coming in from the bike to swim transition.

But the highlight of the day - watching my 7yo daughter compete in her first tri! She finished second and smiled the entire time she ran and biked! And I think I smiled the entire time too!

There's an olympic distance tri in September that I'm thinking of doing. I'm just not sure about the swim!

any how - congrats again!

spring fling tri.jpg

Description:
 Filesize:  173.44 KB
 Viewed:  26329 Time(s)

itch
Wakeboarder.com Freak
Wakeboarder.com Freak

City: m m m itch igan

PostPosted: Apr 26, 2009 8:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.all3sports.com/index.php?=&jsenabled=1&osCsid=5d3f748f91591e332fd1d3ca1af826c0
E.J.
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

PostPosted: Apr 26, 2009 10:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SWEET Barefly! Yes, I am still so pumped with the whole thing...

The story of your daughter competing put a smile on my fact, that is great!

Itch, what is the link to? Just the All3Sports homepage or did it not go to something you were pointing out specifically?
E.J.
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

PostPosted: Jun 20, 2009 10:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just finished #2..... Very Happy

Shark Attack 3.jpg

Description:
 Filesize:  111.46 KB
 Viewed:  26206 Time(s)

Shark Attack 4.jpg

Description:
 Filesize:  133.18 KB
 Viewed:  26206 Time(s)

barelfly
Outlaw
Outlaw

PostPosted: Jun 21, 2009 7:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

good job EJ! on the road bike this time! I bet you hammered through this time!
E.J.
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

PostPosted: Jun 22, 2009 6:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

barelfly wrote:
good job EJ! on the road bike this time! I bet you hammered through this time!

Thanks….. It was a good time. I passed A LOT of people on the bike…..almost dumped it/went over the edge in a steep downhill S turn due to slick roads. Ran a bit better than my last, but was passed by far more people than I passed…..

In the end, I went from 1:39:39 to 1:20:17……not bad.

Next event, 52 mile bike Tour of Park City….
Wakebrad
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

City: Dallas

PostPosted: Jun 22, 2009 6:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did a triathlon sprint a few months back. My first time doing much over a 5k run. I enjoyed the swimming (being a swimmer in HS) and the running, 5k, but the 15 mile bike took me an hour on my mountain bike. I was so freaking bored I couldn't stand it. If I am going to exercise for more than an hour it needs to have something to keep my attention.

I play basketball for hours on end, Ultimate Frisbee for 4 hours every Saturday in the winter and don't even think about it. But an hour of just looking at the road, I can't do it.

dirtysparks
Wakeboarder.Commie
Wakeboarder.Commie

PostPosted: Jun 22, 2009 8:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lookin good EJ! I'm thinking about doing a tri, that looks fun as hell. Were you doing a sprint? What kind of bike did you use? I don't want to drop more than 1K on a tri bike. Preferably cheaper than that.
E.J.
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

PostPosted: Jun 22, 2009 8:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wakebrad, I really don't mind doing an hour on a bike....though I was only on the bike for about 40 minutes..... I consider going out on the bike for an hour or two to be fun.....actually look forward to it. Add into that being in an event and trying to pull people in, that makes it all the better.

Dirtysparks, Thanks. Do it....they are fun and addicting!

Yes, both the triathlons I have done have been sprint distance. In fact, little sprints as they were in pools, so the swim is MUCH shorter. I am going to move to open water ASAP, would have been July, but Michelle informed me that we have other plans that weekend.

I would also like to jump to an Olympic distance in the near future. I am not worried about the 40K on the bike or 10K on the run....but the swim at that distance would take MUCH more training.

I ride a Trek Madone 5.2 Just a road bike, not a TT bike.... In fact, no crrent plans to even get aerobars.
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

City: Wilmington, Delaware

PostPosted: Jun 23, 2009 7:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ohsix, A friend of mine just finished the Iron Man in Idaho last week.

He has been on the circuit for a few years now. If you want, I can connect you two. He is always interested in talking about them

Just let me know

barelfly
Outlaw
Outlaw

PostPosted: Jun 23, 2009 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

EJ - you'll dig the 50 mile ride. I did a 75 mile ride about 3 weeks ago. It was super cool! took 5 hours total with stops to eat/hydrate, but I could have pushed it more. Being the first one, I held back the first half. It was an out and back. Three of us worked smart on the way back, took about 3 minute pulls and rotated. This kept the average speed near 20mph and about 12 miles out, we started to split, as the other two couldn't sustain the pace any longer.

I like tris, but the bike events are cool! I'm gonna do a century later in the summer called the Enchanted Circle ride - major climbing, as we get to nearly 9000' in elevation.

good luck on your ride!
ScottyB_RochNY
Addict
Addict

PostPosted: Jul 17, 2009 4:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

First triathlon tomorrow, Sprint.

750 meters/17.1 miles/5k
Magic
Outlaw
Outlaw

City: Seattle

PostPosted: Jul 17, 2009 8:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just picked up an Aero helmet yesterday. It could not scream Tri Dork any louder. In fact I have some "Tri Dork" stickers being custom made for it, really.

30 days till my next Half Ironman (70.3) and about 130 days till Ironman Cozumel!

Addict
Addict

PostPosted: Jul 19, 2009 11:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am officially a triathlete. Finished the race in 1:54:xx, so I beat my 2 hour goal!

Swim 18:xx
Bike 56:xx
Run 31:xx (slow!)

I'm happy and will do another next month.
E.J.
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

PostPosted: Jul 19, 2009 5:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ScottyB_RochNY wrote:
I am officially a triathlete. Finished the race in 1:54:xx, so I beat my 2 hour goal!

Swim 18:xx
Bike 56:xx
Run 31:xx (slow!)

I'm happy and will do another next month.

NICE SCOTT! Congrats!
E.J.
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

PostPosted: Apr 24, 2010 11:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just finished the same MTB tri I did last year.... OUCH I didn't train hard enough for it.... I am not sure what my time was, but I really struggled for some of the bike(the climbing) and about the first half mile of the run....

Feel good about getting it out of the way, but I think I'll prepare a little better for my next....

jryoung
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

City: Man Jose

PostPosted: Jun 01, 2010 8:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Without getting a tri-suit what do most people swim in? Do you swim in your bike shorts to avoid changing in transition?
E.J.
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

PostPosted: Jun 01, 2010 8:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jryoung wrote:
Without getting a tri-suit what do most people swim in? Do you swim in your bike shorts to avoid changing in transition?

Get a trisuit.... The chamois in regular bike shorts would be like a sponge I suspect....it is MUCH, MUCH thicker than that of a trisuit. I don't think they would dry as quickly either....

I recommend getting a top and bottom. I didn't have this valuable information before getting my suit and now have to struggle out of the top half to take a leak....

Michelle is doing her first in a few weeks.... She is shopping for a suit now....

http://www.swimoutlet.com/Mens_Triathlon_Wear_s/469.htm
Nor*Cal
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

City: Sac

PostPosted: Jun 01, 2010 9:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jryoung wrote:

I've done plenty of tri swims in speedos.

jryoung
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

PostPosted: Jun 01, 2010 9:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nor*Cal wrote:
jryoung wrote:

I'm not sure it's appropriate (in my current physical state) for me to wear a speedo, even in Europe. Laughing

Quote:
The chamois in regular bike shorts would be like a sponge I suspect....it is MUCH, MUCH thicker than that of a trisuit.

Along the lines of the comment above, I'm not sure less padding is a good thing for me. I'll have to check them out though.

I've got a new job, and the bike ride is 16.5mi with only 4.5mi of that on roads (with bike lane), the rest is on paved trails. I want to start riding to work, and there is a pool on the way so I thought it'd be cool to throw in a 2-400m swim on the way.

Magic
Outlaw
Outlaw

PostPosted: Jun 01, 2010 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jryoung wrote:
Nor*Cal wrote:
jryoung wrote:

I'm not sure it's appropriate (in my current physical state) for me to wear a speedo, even in Europe. Laughing

Quote:
The chamois in regular bike shorts would be like a sponge I suspect....it is MUCH, MUCH thicker than that of a trisuit.

Along the lines of the comment above, I'm not sure less padding is a good thing for me. I'll have to check them out though.

I've got a new job, and the bike ride is 16.5mi with only 4.5mi of that on roads (with bike lane), the rest is on paved trails. I want to start riding to work, and there is a pool on the way so I thought it'd be cool to throw in a 2-400m swim on the way.

I'd suggest a decent pair of Tri shorts. There are lots of good brands to pick from (Zoot, DeSoto, TYR, 2XU, Oomph!...) I'm partial to Oomph! and TYR. I've got two pairs of Oomph! shorts that have done a couple of Ironmans each, Half Iron and many shorter races plus decent amount of training and still look nearly new. Tri shorts are set up with a chamios that does not hold water and is designed to not rub while running.

Regarding swimming 2-400m, that is pretty short. Most sprint Tri's are 800yards or more swims, most swim work outs that I've ever seen have 600 to 800 yard warm up before the core work out. You basically can not swim too much for Tri's, but the swim is only like 10% of the race so budget your time accordingly.

I'm looking to do a sprint this coming weekend, and my goal race is Lk Steven's 70.3 this year.

Bike is ready to go!

SSTriDorkDisc.JPG

Description:
HMS TriDork
 Filesize:  187.74 KB
 Viewed:  25354 Time(s)

Ladies Man
Ladies Man

PostPosted: Jun 01, 2010 8:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The reason my swim is short is because I'm still commuting to work so I don't have a ton of time, but wanted to throw something else in for a workout.
Nor*Cal
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

City: Sac

PostPosted: Jun 02, 2010 9:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Magic, what kind of bike it that? I've seen frames on e-bay that look just like that and have contemplated building a tt bike.
Magic
Outlaw
Outlaw

PostPosted: Jun 02, 2010 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nor*Cal wrote:
Magic, what kind of bike it that? I've seen frames on e-bay that look just like that and have contemplated building a tt bike.

PedalForce Aeroblade: http://pedalforce.com/online/product_info.php?products_id=3404

Same frame as Planet X Stealth: http://www.planet-x-usa.com/pPCTTFRMST/Planet-X-Stealth-Pro-Carbon-TTTriathlon-Frameset.aspx

Likely the same frame as others too. There is only so many companies that actually make bike frames and you'll see many of them selling direct, on ebay or via brands like Pedal Force and Planet X. I did the Pedal Force back in October when they were doing some deep discounts on Frame/Fork/Post combo. Built the bike up mostly from parts around the house too.

Ladies Man
Ladies Man

PostPosted: Jun 13, 2010 6:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Finished 2nd triathlon(Sprint) of the year yesterday. Michelle completed her first ever....very proud of her.

I was + 10 minutes from the same tri last year.... Some of that can be blamed on the conditions(standing water on a lot of the bike course) & having to take a leak, I am VERY disappointed in my race. After the race and this morning while waiting for results, I was confident that I improved.... WTF.... Confused
Magic
Outlaw
Outlaw

PostPosted: Jun 13, 2010 8:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

E.J. wrote:
Finished 2nd triathlon(Sprint) of the year yesterday. Michelle completed her first ever....very proud of her.

I was + 10 minutes from the same tri last year.... Some of that can be blamed on the conditions(standing water on a lot of the bike course) & having to take a leak, I am VERY disappointed in my race. After the race and this morning while waiting for results, I was confident that I improved.... WTF.... Confused

It is hard to look at past race results and do a 1:1 with this year's. So many variables. What I do is look at my standing, did I move up or down compared to last year. I think that this a better gauge.

Wakeboarder.Commie
Wakeboarder.Commie

PostPosted: Jun 14, 2010 7:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got my first one this Sunday hoping to get close to 1.5 hours. My local tri shop is sold out of tri shorts, so I'm just going to rock the compression shorts under my wetsuit and hope it doesn't peel off in the transition area!

I wasn't able to get a road bike before this race either so unless something crazy happens this week, I'll be riding my mountain bike. Kind of nervous, mostly excited.
E.J.
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

PostPosted: Jun 15, 2010 4:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dirtysparks wrote:
Got my first one this Sunday hoping to get close to 1.5 hours. My local tri shop is sold out of tri shorts, so I'm just going to rock the compression shorts under my wetsuit and hope it doesn't peel off in the transition area!

I wasn't able to get a road bike before this race either so unless something crazy happens this week, I'll be riding my mountain bike. Kind of nervous, mostly excited.

EXCELLENT! I look forward to your race report....

Magic wrote:
E.J. wrote:

It is hard to look at past race results and do a 1:1 with this year's. So many variables. What I do is look at my standing, did I move up or down compared to last year. I think that this a better gauge.

Good advice, thanks....
dirtysparks
Wakeboarder.Commie
Wakeboarder.Commie

PostPosted: Jun 21, 2010 8:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well that was fun, and interesting....and awesome when I was finished! They say you learn a lot about yourself on every tri you do, that is absolutely the case.

500 meter swim 11:49
Transition 1 4:13
20K Bike 49:40
Transition 2 1:48
5K run 30:21
Total Time 1:37:48

I finished in 50th place, but looking at the results if I could have knocked 9 minutes off my bike I would have finished 28th. I also need to knock time off of my first transition but I was winded as hell. I've never trained for an open water swim and it really caught me off guard. I worked on sighting in the pool and thought I had it down pretty well. Nope. Also it's really weird swimming shoulder to shoulder with other people, it really started to make me uncomfortable and I couldn't calm down until the turnaround buoy when the crowd thinned out. After that I was able to swim a little smoother, but when I exited the water I was gasping Laughing It's really tough to keep pace when you have to look up to make sure you're going straight.

There's another tri with open water swim that I think I'm going to do in 3 weeks. I need to get a road or tri bike by then though...I averaged 14.1 mph on the mountain bike but I think I could do a lot better on a road bike. Lady got a few pics before the camera died (doh!), I'll have to post some up from the home computer tonight.

I was really surprised at the high level athletes that came out for this though. I only saw a handful of mountain bikes amongst a slew of Italian tri bikes. A little disappointed that I sucked so much in the water, I thought I would do really well there...no biggie though, it's nice enough now to go train in open water and I have a little experience so I can adjust things for the next one.

Now I want to go out and buy up all sorts of tri gear, they've suckered me in.
E.J.
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

PostPosted: Jun 21, 2010 9:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dirtysparks wrote:
Well that was fun, and interesting....and awesome when I was finished!

Isn't it though!

CONGRATS!
dirtysparks
Wakeboarder.Commie
Wakeboarder.Commie

PostPosted: Jun 21, 2010 9:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks! Smile

Oh! AND they didn't let us wear headphones for the bike or run. I was ok without them for the bike, but dayum, I need some music for the run! It's hard to push it when all I listen to is my breathing!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wakeboarder Forum Index -> Non-Wakeboarding All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Add To Favorites

Jump to: