Wakeboarder Forum Index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   StatisticsStats   FavoritesFavorites   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages  Log inLog in 
BlogsBlogs   

Any Triathletes?
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ohsix
PityDaFool Who Posts This Much

PostPosted: Sep 23, 2008 6:18 pm    Post subject: Any Triathletes? Reply with quote

I believe I'm starting to train for my first triathlon. It's been a goal of mine for several years now to participate in one. I have access to a lap pool now, I've always been a decent bike rider, although not a cyclist, and used to be an avid runner. I haven't done much of the 3 since graduating college a little over a year ago, but I'm starting to get back in to running and now is a good time to start training for a goal. So triathletes, what are the first things I need to know and do? I bought a couple of books and will start reading those tonight, but I would like your best advice for a beginner.
lcap
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

City: Homeless

PostPosted: Sep 23, 2008 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had the most difficult time with the open water swimming. Being from Texas, I hate dark water and the fear would always catch up to me part way through the swim. I'd start thinking about all the things in the water. Wondering how many people drowned under me. Wonder if they got all the bodies or..... Then I'd freak out about Jason, Jaws and all the water horror movies. It took awhile to calm down.

Along with the swim is a pool doesn't prepare you for the open water for the reasons above and for people kicking you and for a kick stroke eliminating your water pocket you're used to in the pool. You swallow a lot of water and when you get away from everyone your mind starts to wonder.

That's just me but I had to concentrate more on the open water swimming than either the bike or the run. I was great in the pool staring at the tiles on the bottom and dreaming of girls but in a lake or an ocean its an entirely different ballgame.

Great sport to pick up, very fun and rewarding!

jjaszkow
Wakeboarder.Commie
Wakeboarder.Commie

City: Some Airport

PostPosted: Sep 23, 2008 7:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Organize your transitions, and practice them before hand. In a lot of the races, the transitions are a bit of a mess, so the more organized you are, the faster in and out you'll be.

Congratulations on the new goal.
wiley_coyote
Criminal
Criminal

City: Vernal

PostPosted: Sep 23, 2008 7:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree about practicing the transitions. That is where I lost a lot of time. Have all of your gear organized and ready to go for each stage.

What distance are you planning on starting at? Sprints are a good way to break into the sport and they are a blast. I like Tri's where the bike ride is in the dirt personally.

If you are unsure about open water swimming a wetsuit may help a little. It offers a little buoyancy and they are permitted in the rules. Have fun.
jt09
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

City: Austin

PostPosted: Sep 23, 2008 7:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

not me, but a kid who played for me my very first year coaching. just finished the wisconsin ironman. pretty damn inspiring.

Bodie wrote:
I did it…I am an IronMan…on Sept. 7th 2008, I finished IronMan Wisconsin. It was an amazing experience from the moment I got into Madison till the moment I flew back to Austin. I don’t really want to bore anyone with all the details of the events leading up to the race…so I will just report on race day…

3:00am…wake up from a night of restless sleep and eat my race day breakfast (coffee, banana, and oatmeal)…check the weather (it was going to be a perfect day)…start getting my wetsuit, goggles, cap, special needs bags, and nutrition for the day together and head out of the hotel by 4:30

5:00am…get to the race site stand in line for body marking…drop off bike special needs bag and run special needs bag…wait in line for transition to open so that I can get my bike ready for the race (which I had to check in the day prior)…pump tires, load bike with bottles, reset computer…head into where I checked my transition bags (big hall rooms in Monona Terrace) make sure swim to bike bag has everything I need as well as my bike to run bag…tried to stay as calm as possible even though the energy you felt from everyone that day was just amazing…visited with my family (mom and brother came to watch)

6:25am…start getting into wetsuit after a good solid lathering of body glide (a stick lubricant to prevent chaffing)…head down Monona Terrace helix (imagine a spiral drive way for a parking garage)…wait in line for everyone to cross over the timing mat (this took a while as there were 2,207 athletes that started that day)…

6:45am…finally in the water…swim out to the start buoy (since it is a floating mass start)…watch the Pros take off at 6:50…the energy at this point is unreal…they sing the national anthem…I was asking people around me what time they were expecting to swim and found a group of about 8 that were swimming the same time as me so we decided to start off together…just trying to stay as calm as possible as the day was getting ready to start and the sun was rising on Lake Monona…

7:00am…the cannon goes off and all chaos breaks out…swimming with 2,207 other people at the same time is an experience like no other…the closets thing I could possibly relate it to is when you see a nature documentary about a pack of wildebeests crossing a river that is filled with crocodiles…bodies were going everywhere…you got kicked, punched, elbowed, swam over (meaning you had someone swim over the top of you pushing you under water)…this was just unreal and it lasted like this through the first lap of the two lap swim…the first corner had a back-up that started about 25 meters out and it was wrestle mania in the water…I had a split second to look over my shoulder of the madness that I had thrown myself into and that is a sight I will never forget…water, bodies, arms, legs everywhere and you are just in survival mode…the first lap stayed that way and by the second lap it thinned out some…not to where you were swimming by yourself but enough to where you could actually get into a rhythm and swim…by the last turn buoy I was more than ready to get out of the water…total swim time 01:15:10 for the 2.4 mile distance…

T1…the transition from the swim to bike was nice you got out of the water to screaming crowds and had to run up the Helix into the Hall Room with the transition bags and grab your from a nice volunteer as you went into the changing room…dropped off my wetsuit goggles and swim cap…put on my shades, helmet, socks and shoes…grabbed a power bar I put in my bag and threw that in my pocket…run out of transition to the suntan lotion appliers (local UW co-eds) who lather you up before you head out onto the bike…stopped to take a leak…run down the isles of bikes and by the time you get to your rack a volunteer is standing there holding your bike…grab the bike and head to the other end of transition to the mount line…T1 total time 00:08:39

Bike…one word: relentless…this course had over 8,000 feet of climbing on the course…the way the course was set up, it was a 14 mile stretch heading out of transition to the “loop”, the “loop” was a 42 mile loop you had to do twice, and then the same 14 mile stretch back to transition…it was a perfect day and I was feeling great to be on my bike (which is my strongest leg)…the course does not stop with the rolling hills though…to those familiar with Austin roads, think 112 miles of Fitzhugh (the road to Johnson City)…the fan support was phenomenal…as you ride through the country and into a couple of small towns along the way there were fans everywhere cheering everyone on...this course kept you honest and did a fine job of breaking up any potential packs that would be drafting off of each other…at one point in the loop on a road called Old Saulk the fans would line 6 or 7 deep on either side creating a path to ride up the middle as you had guys running next to you cheering you on (imagine Tour de France style)…got to see my family twice as I rolled through a town called Verona, which was nice to see a familiar face in the crowd…finally got to make the turn to head back to transition and I was more than ready to be off the bike…total bike time 05:54:17 for the 112 mile distance…

T2…transition from the bike to run was just the same as the other transition…run into another Hall room grab your bag from a volunteer and head into changing room…dropped off helmet, cycling shoes, and socks…put on fresh socks and my running shoes…quick stop at the suntan co-eds…stopped for another leak…T2 total time 00:05:32

Run…bring on the pain…I found a new level of pain that I did not know existed let alone that I could tolerate…the course was just as challenging as the bike…a two loop course that sent you around the capital, through campus, onto their football field for a lap in Camp Randall stadium, onto a section like Town Lake (a manicured trail by the water), back into campus, down State street (which is like 6th and South Congress, a bunch of bars, restaurants, and shops)…and head back to the finish the same way you came…each lap was a half marathon…the first lap went really well…maintained a 10 min/mile pace with me walking at aide stations for fluids…the second lap was a world of hurt…this is when I experienced my lowest of lows that day (miles 14-17 to be exact)…regrouped and finished the remainder of the marathon out strong (which is relative at that point in time)…came across the finish line to hear Mike Riley , the voice of IronMan, say, “YOU ARE AN IRONMAN!”…total run time 05:09:39 for the 26.2 mile distance…

Total finishing time 12:33:16

There was so much that I have left out that I am still taking in, but it was a phenomenal experience…I am now a member of a pretty elite club…that day I experienced the full range of emotions and had an amazing time throughout…I apologize for this being as long as it was…but thank you to everyone for their support and for taking the time to read this…

jog on…
jt09
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

City: Austin

PostPosted: Sep 23, 2008 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

after everyone congratulated him, praised him as a total badass, and asked a couple of questions...

Bodie wrote:
Thanks for all the support...it was an amazing experience...and one that i am still soaking in...

right now, no Kona slot for me...that is a race that you have to qualify for...maybe next time...right now i am done racing for the season, and next year i am going to be focusing on Half IronMans and working on my speed...the commitment to train for a year straight leading up to IronMan was just a little much for me to do two years in a row...

j Lo only did an Olympic distance tri (1500meter swim/40k bike/10k run)...and yes my PR in an Olympic would have crushed j Lo's time...

all IronMans have cut-off times...the official race cut off is 17 hours...but you also have cut-offs along the way...at Wisconsin, the race started at 7am...you had to be out of the water by 9:20am...had to be off your bike by 5:30pm...and finish the run by midnight...

you could say im in alright shape...

nutrition in IronMan is known as your 4th discipline (with swim/bike/run as the other three)...this one is tricky as you really have to dial this in for race day...so it took alot of trial and error during my training...i was able to find out that my body can handle around 350-400 cal/hour without any GI distress...during the bike is when you take in the majority of your calories, as well as eat some solid foods (mostly because you do not want to be eating much on the run...but for me my food intake consisted of Gatorade Endurance (increased sodium), power bars, Hammer Gel, and salt tabs...i also ate a couple of bananas as i passed through some aide stations on the bike to get in some more potassium...and in my bike special needs bag i put in a peanut butter and jelly sandwich (it was nice to have something different)...on the run it was liquid calories, gatorade, water, soda (for some sugar and caffeine), and then chicken broth (the sodium in that really helps out with muscle cramps)...

my training for this was a year long journey...first you had to lay out your base mileage...i ran the austin marathon in feb...did an early season half ironman in galveston...a handful of shorter races (sprints, olympics, and xterras)...my last tri before the race was the Buffalo Springs Half IronMan out in Lubbock in late June...typically i would put in 20 hours per week with my training...and my peak weeks were easily in the 25+ hours per week...the training is the part that can easily make or break your race...and depending on your race goals (to compete or just complete) this is very important as all of your workouts serve a purpose and prepare you for the big race...

i will do another IronMan...not next year (mostly due to the commitment that IronMan entails)...but the distance provides so many challenges throughout the day that i will certainly be coming back for more...not sure if it will be in Madison again or not, since there are so many great courses across the globe...

this journey has taught me so much about myself...and it is that knowledge that i am starting to appreciate even more about my experience...i certainly wouldn't trade it for anything in the world...

thanks again for all the support...and for the few that know me...if you see me around i will gladly tell you all about it over some nice cold beers (since im done racing for the season)...

jog on...

my input:

jt wrote:
just so you guys have an idea, bodie was roughly 6'4" 225lbs+ as a senior in high school, and not exactly my best athlete (had a bum knee, for one) or hardest worker. this isn't a small dude who was always in shape and just went the extra mile to pull this off. this is a COMPLETE lifestyle 180, on many different levels.

bodie - check your pm.

his response:

Bodie wrote:
i'm still 6'4", but now i have worked myself down to a slim and trim 200lbs...back in high school i think i was more concerned about having a good time, and that easily carried over to my college life, i still played lacrosse all through school and worked myself up to be a fairly decent player on the field making All-Star First String Defenseman my senior year at Texas State...after school i still wanted to be active, it started with a marathon and then moved towards triathlon...

i did the race on my tri bike ('07 QRoo Kilo) set up with a 12-27 in the back to accomodate the hills...i had the luxury of chatting with Nicole DeBoom, the '04 IronMan Wisconsin Champion, months prior to the race and she had recommended that i put an easier cassette on the back to save my legs for the run...i can say that tidbit of advice really helped as some of the later climbs were just a whole lot easier to spin up instead of grinding it out...

as far as the field of athletes were concerned...about 70-75% were on tri bikes, with the others on road bikes with clip-on aerobars...

jog on...
barelfly
Outlaw
Outlaw

City: alb

PostPosted: Sep 23, 2008 9:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am also doing my first tri in December. I got a book by Gail Bernhardt that provides training schedules if that is something you need. I'm doing a sprint, so we'll see how it goes. I've been riding pretty hard the last 5 months and have that down. Running, I do off and on when I'm at the gym lifting. But the swimming thing is what I'm trying to concentrate on right now - I've never really swam a distance of that length!

Anyways, the link to the book I bought is below. Good luck!

http://search.barnesandnoble.com/Training-Plans-for-Multisport-Athletes/Gale-Bernhardt/e/9781931382922/?itm=1
ohsix

PostPosted: Sep 24, 2008 6:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the advice everyone and thanks to jt09 for posting that.

I've swam across lakes before just for the heck of it and open water doesn't really bother me. What I was concerned about, and now affirmed by Bodie, was having to fight a bunch of other people to stay above water. My first tri will be a sprint and many of those are swam in lap pools. I haven't picked a specific triathlon yet, so I'm not sure what I'll be swimming in, so I'm not dwelling on it right now.

Right now, my goal is to complete a sprint. Maybe after that I'll work my way up to longer tris, but I can't imagine an IronMan right now. 12+ hours of pushing yourself that hard is unreal. It's probably one of the greatest feelings in the world to finish one though.
ohsix

PostPosted: Sep 24, 2008 6:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

barelfly, I bought a couple of books. The one I'm reading right now is "Your First Triathlon" by Joe Friel.
Liquid Lifestyle
Outlaw
Outlaw

City: Fox River Grove

PostPosted: Sep 25, 2008 1:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wiley_coyote wrote:
If you are unsure about open water swimming a wetsuit may help a little. It offers a little buoyancy and they are permitted in the rules. Have fun.

I have done the Chicago Olympic distance a couple of times. wiley is right, the bouyancy built into a tri suit makes a world of difference. It keeps your feet on top of the water. Increases your speed and endurance at the same time. Many triathlons have a water temperature limit to wearing them. If the water is over a certain temp you aren't allowed. It almost feels like cheating when you are wearing one.

A good way to train for these are shorter distance duathlons (run-bike-run). It really helps to bring your transition times down. Normally they are pretty easy to find because you don't need the water.

Another big thing it to stay calm. People come flying into the transitions crashing and other rediculous stuff. Or come out like a charging bull from the transition thinking "I am going to own on the bike, or kick ass on the run". Only to crash in half the distance they trained for which sets them up for failiure on the next event.

Use a heart rate monitor. keep breathing regularly and be methodical. Power through each part equally.

You are going to love it, I certainly did, until I realized all that training was seriously cutting into my drinking time.

lcap
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

City: Homeless

PostPosted: Sep 25, 2008 1:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ohsix,

For the first couple I would only concern myself with finishing. I would avoid the fray in the swim part; be first, last or on the wings. Relax and enjoy working toward the goal and that goal for most is to compete with themselves, not others.

ohsix

PostPosted: Sep 25, 2008 6:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lcap, thanks. Right now the goal is to finish one and be happy.
howabouttheiris
Addict
Addict

City: Austin, TX

PostPosted: Sep 26, 2008 4:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I only did 5-6 sprint tri's. The trick was getting out and doing one. The next time, you will be much more comfortable and you will learn a lot of lessons for yourself. Here are the only things I would recommend.

1. Swim at a comfortable pace, no more. Normally it is <20% of the total time. Go at it hard and you save 1 minute max, but you kill your back and legs. Biking and a full strong finish run will net you more time gain.

2. Assuming you are "new" and have not picked your exact pace.... I suggest going harder earlier on the bike, then a bit easier on the last few miles or so to get your legs back for the run. I was way too conservative on my 1st tri and when I hit the last few miles on the bike, I went hard. Just turned my legs to jello for the run.

3. To really save time, plan your transitions. Have your towel, shirt, socks, shoes, helmet, glasses, etc in the correct order on your mat.

4. Watch for transition lines. You need to be not on your bike until your cross it on the way out and then off your bike by the lines on the way back in. No excuses.
howabouttheiris
Addict
Addict

PostPosted: Sep 26, 2008 4:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh and for poor swimmers.... a snorkel is not banned in most events. It really helps if you are the guy who will probably take a mouth full (or 9) due to the waves on an open water swim.
Scooby
Outlaw
Outlaw

City: Hoffman Estates

PostPosted: Sep 26, 2008 10:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Best advise was from

Lcap

"For the first couple I would only concern myself with finishing"

Otherwise in training be sure to get some Bricks in. a Swim and bike right after. A Bike and run right away.

Coming out of the swim if your not used to it, and especially open water, you will feel a little dissoriented unless you train this. And then understaind that even though your legs may feel like moosh after a bike it just take a little time to get your cadence in the run.

For the first race don't worry about the time, that will come later. Also it will be addicting. Almost immediately, you will start critiqueing yourself on your transitions and pace.

Good luck and have fun.
pet575
Wakeboarder.com Freak
Wakeboarder.com Freak

City: Kansas City, MO

PostPosted: Sep 26, 2008 12:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for all the info. I'm going to put it to good use, as I'm looking into a sprint triathlon in May 2009 here locally. I've got a 13-week program I'm going to follow. I'll let you guys know how it goes.

Thanks again!

barelfly
Outlaw
Outlaw

PostPosted: Sep 26, 2008 9:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

have any of you done a run/bike/swim event? the one I'm in is in Dec., which is the reason for the backwards event.

iris gave good info for a normal, but I would imagine going hard at first on the bike then normal last few miles before the swim? And like others suggest, main goal is to finish but tips are great!
howabouttheiris
Addict
Addict

PostPosted: Sep 29, 2008 2:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

run/bike/swim is retarded.

If you fail, you sink and die.

Hope they have a good insurance policy (or are doing the swim in the kids end of a pool). The event is planned in the swim/bike/run order to get you on land and then closer to it as you get tired.

my 2c.
barelfly
Outlaw
Outlaw

PostPosted: Sep 29, 2008 5:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

wow... great advice. thanks.

btw, the swim is indoors, not sure many people want to swim then go out into 35 degree weather in December... which could be the reason for the swim leg being last.
pet575
Wakeboarder.com Freak
Wakeboarder.com Freak

City: Kansas City, MO

PostPosted: Sep 29, 2008 10:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

+1 to howabouttheiris. That doesn't seem all that safe. Of course, doing it in an indoor pool IS a bit different.
Zach M
Wakeboarder.Commie
Wakeboarder.Commie

City: Seattle

PostPosted: Sep 29, 2008 10:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My uncle has competed in the Ironman competitions for years. The last one in Kona he competed in (2004 I think), he placed third in his age class. He will be competing in the M55-59 division this year.
Magic
Outlaw
Outlaw

City: Seattle

PostPosted: Sep 30, 2008 9:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Done a bunch of Tri's including Ironman Canada a few times and IM Arizona. Currently signed up for Ironman Cozumel next Nov. Between now and then I'll do a few Marathons, couple of Half Iron distance races and likely some local Sprint Tri's for fun. Even now I bike 120 to over 200 miles a week, and do 3+ days of running. Did a 2:45 hr long uphill trail run Saturday for my weekly long run and today was an easy 7 miles recovery run. Tomorrow I'll bike 55 or so miles into work and then 31 home (so 80+ miles for the day, and then 120 miles between Thursday and Friday).

http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/ Great site for beginners, I still go there every week as the community is very supportive and freindly. It's one place where there are truely no dumb questions.

Couple words of advise, train consistently and go for runs after you bike (called bricks). Even if you only run for 10 or 15 mins after a bike work out it's really good for your legs to get used to running right off of the bike.

You need to learn how to plan your work outs with rest days and easy weeks for recovery. Very important to not over train, any decent Tri book or online workout sheduled for beginners do this. http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/ has some.

Train for how you want to race and don't race anything you've not trained with. That includes nutrition. For a Sprint or Oly distance, nutrition is not a big deal, if you are looking to do Half or Full Ironmans, you'll need to really dail in your nutrition plan.

Ladies Man
Ladies Man

City: Mogadishu

PostPosted: Apr 20, 2009 7:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So ohsix, did you sign up and complete a tri?

I do my first this weekend.....(Sprint).....
Nor*Cal
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

City: Sac

PostPosted: Apr 21, 2009 12:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have no desire to do an ironman at this point in my life. Mainly focusing on the Olympic distance. A few guys I played water polo with/against in college are tearing up our age group and I want to make a good showing with them. For most people open water swimming is an issue. I tend to get out front and then it's a matter of spotting and swimming straight. I don't understand people who say the swim kills your legs. No need to have more than a 4 beat kick, basically just keeping you balanced and rolling with your strokes. Swimming is all about technique. I hate how wetsuits restrict me. Might get a farmer john and see how that feels. Some claim they make you faster but I just rock the speedo and eliminate dropping the wetsuit during that transition. Plus chicks dig speedos...

There is a book called Total Immersion. Get that and learn. It's one of the better swim books out there.

Last year I spent most of my time training on my bike but a massive crash on the Death Ride pretty much ended my season.

ky1e
Wakeboarder.com Freak
Wakeboarder.com Freak

PostPosted: Apr 21, 2009 4:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Magic wrote:
Done a bunch of Tri's including Ironman Canada a few times and IM Arizona. Currently signed up for Ironman Cozumel next Nov. Between now and then I'll do a few Marathons, couple of Half Iron distance races and likely some local Sprint Tri's for fun. Even now I bike 120 to over 200 miles a week, and do 3+ days of running. Did a 2:45 hr long uphill trail run Saturday for my weekly long run and today was an easy 7 miles recovery run. Tomorrow I'll bike 55 or so miles into work and then 31 home (so 80+ miles for the day, and then 120 miles between Thursday and Friday).

http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/ Great site for beginners, I still go there every week as the community is very supportive and freindly. It's one place where there are truely no dumb questions.

Couple words of advise, train consistently and go for runs after you bike (called bricks). Even if you only run for 10 or 15 mins after a bike work out it's really good for your legs to get used to running right off of the bike.

You need to learn how to plan your work outs with rest days and easy weeks for recovery. Very important to not over train, any decent Tri book or online workout sheduled for beginners do this. http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/ has some.

Train for how you want to race and don't race anything you've not trained with. That includes nutrition. For a Sprint or Oly distance, nutrition is not a big deal, if you are looking to do Half or Full Ironmans, you'll need to really dail in your nutrition plan.

you win Shocked

Bowen
Wakeboarder.com Freak
Wakeboarder.com Freak

City: Dallas...I miss SoCal

PostPosted: Apr 21, 2009 4:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really want to, but the bikes are $$$$$$$$$ Shocked

Although I check craigslist daily looking for a good deal on a good bike. You'd be surprised how many people drop tons of money on bikes to find out they hate riding!
itch
Wakeboarder.com Freak
Wakeboarder.com Freak

City: m m m itch igan

PostPosted: Apr 21, 2009 4:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Daniel what are you looking to spend I have a good friend who owns a bike shop if its in your price range he could drop ship it to your door.
ITCH

ohsix

PostPosted: Apr 21, 2009 10:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

E.J. wrote:
So ohsix, did you sign up and complete a tri?

I do my first this weekend.....(Sprint).....

No, I haven't. It's still a goal of mine and I plan on doing it this year. However, I'm going to have to find an off-road triathlon since I absolutely hate riding a road bike. I bought a road bike a few months before you posted your new Trek on here. I made myself ride it a few times a week for a while and still hated it. I finally sold it about a month ago. How are you liking the road bike? Good luck with your sprint. I'm interested in your thoughts after your first tri.
ohsix

PostPosted: Apr 21, 2009 10:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bowen wrote:
You'd be surprised how many people drop tons of money on bikes to find out they hate riding!

Actually I wouldn't ^^^. I spent a little over $4K on my road bike and sold it with 330 miles on it for $2600. I love mountain biking (xc), but riding a road bike just felt like a leg burn workout, kind of like a stair step machine at the gym. It's completely flat where I live, so the lack of hills probably contributed to my dislike for road biking.
E.J.
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

PostPosted: Apr 21, 2009 11:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Funny you say that, my first tri is off road(mountain bike). Went and rode the area Sunday and it was brutal....though I stayed on as much single track as possible and it is hard for me to believe that they will be using much single track during this race?

I think it was also more difficult because I did a 26 mile bike ride and a run the day before..... Who knows....

Anyway, I am pretty excited about getting this first one behind me.

I love the road bike.....it is nice to pound out miles, the speed, the ability to just get on and start riding ect. I can get in a lot of miles when trails would not be open. Commuting is faster, though as it warms up....I will still take an hour to commute, just adjusting my route to take up time, picking up some good climbs ect.

But that said, if I had to choose one, I'd be a full time mountain biker. I LOVE mountain biking. Maybe as I learn more about the road, I will learn to embrace that culture......but as of now, I find roadies a bit pompous. That is a VERY generalized statement....and not true for everyone, I know that.....
howabouttheiris
Addict
Addict

PostPosted: Apr 21, 2009 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought a new $220. road bike from ebay...

You can pay $5000, but all you are doing is getting a bike that will result in you getting less exercise. (ain't that the point?)
actiondcpd
Wakeboarder.Commie
Wakeboarder.Commie

City: San Diego

PostPosted: Apr 21, 2009 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Depends if you are in the sport for exercise or to compete... Training is the most important part because and expensive bike isn't going to ride itself but it will certainly help if you are ready for the race. Fit and comfort on a tri bike is very important as well... especially if you are doing longer races.
ohsix

PostPosted: Apr 21, 2009 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

howabouttheiris wrote:

You can pay $5000, but all you are doing is getting a bike that will result in you getting less exercise. (ain't that the point?)

I ride a bike for leg exercise and enjoyment. Most $200 bikes give me right hand exercise trying to get a cheap rear derailleur to select the gear I want and frustration.

When I bought my first (and only) road bike, I went long on cost and quality because I regret holding back on the last mountain bike I bought. Excellent shifting components are worth their weight in gold IMO.
E.J.
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

PostPosted: Apr 21, 2009 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ohsix wrote:
howabouttheiris wrote:

I ride a bike for leg exercise and enjoyment. Most $200 bikes give me right hand exercise trying to get a cheap rear derailleur to select the gear I want and frustration.

When I bought my first (and only) road bike, I went long on cost and quality because I regret holding back on the last mountain bike I bought. Excellent shifting components are worth their weight in gold IMO.

I also think that if you put the miles in, better components will last longer. I am not sure if that is reality, but I am sticking with it.....

That said, I am not sure I get any less exercise on my bike than one than one that would cost half as much....or twice as much....?
howabouttheiris
Addict
Addict

PostPosted: Apr 22, 2009 2:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree that the expensive bikes will last longer, are lighter, come with fancy tuning maintenance packages, etc... if you can afford one go ahead.

The whole topic gets my shorts in a knot.

I was living in Austin Texas. I wanted a road bike to do a tri. I went to 5 shops and could not find a single bike under $850. (Bucks Bikes, Cycle World? on HW183, etc)

Maybe it was Lance getting in everyone's head, but it is VERY much an elitist sport. Cash to play or go home.

Just use what you can get / borrow / rent and get out there.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wakeboarder Forum Index -> Non-Wakeboarding All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Add To Favorites

Jump to: