Wakeboarder Forum Index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   StatisticsStats   FavoritesFavorites   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages  Log inLog in 
BlogsBlogs   

Just Tried with a 98 Malibu Sportster...Need Advice

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wakeboarder Forum Index -> Wakesurfing and Surfing
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dirt Girl

PostPosted: Jun 24, 2008 9:05 am    Post subject: Just Tried with a 98 Malibu Sportster...Need Advice Reply with quote

Last weekend we brought out a surfboard I use for decoration and had a blast trying to surf behind my Malibu Sportster. We couldn't toss the rope though, so I need some advice on the weighting, board position etc...

Here are the relevent details I can think of:

Riders - 180-230lbs

Board - 5'11, 3 fixed fins, fiberglass surfboard

Boat - 98 Malibu Sportster 310 HP Closed bow

Ballast used:
Rear: Wedge, 2 passengers (460lbs) on rear seat
Mid: 110 lbs under spotter seat, 2 passengers/driver (500lbs)

Speed: 8.5 - 10 with Perfect Pass

After reading through the posts, I think we had the boat weighted too even and needed to put more on the surf side. Does anyone use the same boat that can recommend some fat sacs or similar weighting options?

I really don't want to weight the bow because we already take on waves occasionally... Shocked

Any advice would be appreciated.

Last edited by Dirt Girl on Jun 27, 2008 9:50 am; edited 1 time in total
Trucker T
Soul Rider
Soul Rider

City: Washington, DC And I'm a Lady damnit!

PostPosted: Jun 26, 2008 9:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You probably need another 500-700 lbs along the rear of the boat. The extra weight makes a huge difference in the curl. I have an older Master Craft pro star and I fill a 1000 lbs fat sac in the back about 3/4 full depending on how many people we have in the boat. It does the trick. Also, don't focus on tossing the rope so much until you feel the sweet spot. Practice holding the rope but give it a lot of slack, so you are not actually using it but holding onto it in case you fall back. I find a lot of people eager to throw the rope, but the act itself can throw you off balance. Feel it first, then throw. And of course have all your passengers conglomerate on the rear and to the side of the boat where you are surfing. Good luck.
Dirt Girl

PostPosted: Jun 27, 2008 5:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So should I be using the wedge? Because that adds 1200lbs to the rear...

Maybe I should try the wedge and a sac? Problem is I don't have one and don't want to shell out too much cash to get one...
Trucker T
Soul Rider
Soul Rider

PostPosted: Jun 27, 2008 8:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dirt Girl wrote:
So should I be using the wedge? Because that adds 1200lbs to the rear...

Maybe I should try the wedge and a sac? Problem is I don't have one and don't want to shell out too much cash to get one...

Definitely try the wedge if you haven't already. We did put the wedge up on my friend's Malibu wakesetter though once wakesurfing because the form of the surf wake was better. He had more weight in the boat though. Funny, I have a surfboard (more for decoration) that I have been meaning to bring out on the boat and try. I would be curious as to the difference in surfing on that vs. my wakesurfer. I'm imagining it would be more difficult to find the spot with such a big board, but I have no idea. If you are near DC I'll loan you my extra 350 lbs sac and wakesurfer to compare Very Happy I'd watch ebay and check the classifieds for sacs if you really want to get in to wakesurfing though. It's all about weight weight weight from my experience. Keep me posted.
Dirt Girl

PostPosted: Jun 27, 2008 9:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks very much, but I am in the Detroit, MI area.

Yeah, we tried it with the wedge down, but I am thinking that we should also try without. We don't really have anyone coming out this weekend, so it will be hard to get the boat weighted. Gonna give it a try though if the weather cooperates...just got to get creative.

Try your surfboard for sure!

I think I also need to play with position on the board. I have read elsewhere to put more weight towards the toeside edge (when facing the wake) and that can help.

I can't wait to get out there again! You have a much longer season in DC then we do up here. I only got in 3 rides so far this year! Disgracefull Mad
Dirt Girl

PostPosted: Jul 02, 2008 5:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We are gettting closer.... Still couldn't let go of the rope, but I am determined! Gonna try to find a deal on a fat sac asap.
Trucker T
Soul Rider
Soul Rider

PostPosted: Jul 02, 2008 1:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Had a little down time Smile If you are any good at the ebay game:

http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-MASTERLINE-WAKEBOARD-FAT-SAC-BLADDER-SACK-WAKE_W0QQitemZ230265754384QQihZ013QQcategoryZ15272QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

http://cgi.ebay.com/FAT-SAC-1100-GPH-WAKEBOARD-BLADDER-BOAT-PUMP-NEW_W0QQitemZ330247588704QQihZ014QQcategoryZ15272QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

http://cgi.ebay.com/FAT-SAC-1100-GPH-WAKEBOARD-BLADDER-BOAT-PUMP-NEW_W0QQitemZ330247588704QQihZ014QQcategoryZ15272QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
Trucker T
Soul Rider
Soul Rider

PostPosted: Jul 02, 2008 1:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, just saw your photo. That looks pretty good lady. You may just need a few more trys at it Wink
hartnett_r

City: Friendswood

PostPosted: Aug 05, 2008 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dirt girl..weight it down and don't worry if water comes up over your gas cap..it will be fine trust me...it never hurt ours one bit
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wakeboarder Forum Index -> Wakesurfing and Surfing All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Add To Favorites

Jump to: