Wakeboarder Forum Index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   StatisticsStats   FavoritesFavorites   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages  Log inLog in 
BlogsBlogs   

What are you trading now?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wakeboarder Forum Index -> Business and Finance
View previous topic :: View next topic  
joedirt00
Wakeboarder.com Freak
Wakeboarder.com Freak

City: Baker City

PostPosted: Sep 19, 2007 9:08 pm    Post subject: What are you trading now? Reply with quote

Just wondering what stocks you guys are trading at the moment?

-If you grab a girls hair, and it comes off in your hand, don't laugh, that could have been the best sex ever.
jhilly8982
Addict
Addict

City: Northville

PostPosted: Sep 19, 2007 10:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

are you a trader? or just an investor? what market?
smokedog2
Outlaw
Outlaw

City: Cincinnati

PostPosted: Sep 20, 2007 2:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

All cash. I may be wrong but no one knows what to do right now.
bsaaron
Outlaw
Outlaw

City: Calgary

PostPosted: Oct 09, 2007 7:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Roca Mines (ROK.V) - Molybdenum, British Columbia, will be commencing production any day now. Bought @ $1.40, Target $6.00

Moly Mines (MOL.TO) - Molybedenum, Austrailia, Huge deposit, Feas. Study recently completed, production 2009. Bought $1.25, Target ???

Other small holdings, MLY.WT

Watching: CCE.V, APV.V, TIM.TO, BD.TO, RBI.TO, WMK.V

Let downs: FO.V (First Trade I ever made, also my first loss!), CGW.V (Learned from FO that it is wise to cut your losses short and that stock tips are garbage!)
jjaszkow
Wakeboarder.Commie
Wakeboarder.Commie

City: Some Airport

PostPosted: Oct 09, 2007 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bsaaron, I actually had to look that up. Probably won't trade in it, since I don't understand anything about the metals business, but what led you to look to Molybdenum?
bsaaron
Outlaw
Outlaw

PostPosted: Oct 15, 2007 11:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why moly? Demand, China cutting moly exports, high prices! Check out this article, its relatively recent....Demand seems like it will remain strong for a few years yet. I was lucky enough to catch some of the companies before they took off, moly is much more known now, which is a good thing for sure, but 80% of the moly companies out there doubled or tripled once the market became more aware...it was a fun ride and should continue for a few years.

http://www.stockinterview.com/News/06142007/Molybdenum-Supply-Pressure.html

When I first started trading, the only companies that I figured would bring the largest returns were oil and gas companies....But then heard alot about the metals industry and got more involved...since then, its the only thing I trade and I think many people underestimate the huge potential it brings to the table. I would encourage you to take some time and research this area. However, like anything new, its hard to pick a winner, I have been sucked in a few companies where I lost only because I invested on hype rather than fundementals...For example, (Consol Gold Win Ventures: CGW.V)...if you read the property description the gold numbers are very large, it looks like they are on the sweet spot....well drill results were delayed 6 months, when they finally arrived at the end of July they were not anything near I was expecting and there was a large selloff of about 60%...I cut my loss at 13%...the stock has gone on a few runs since then but always back to a lower base level...

I recently got into the solar power sector, I see a "bright" future in this industry!! As manufacturing costs drop and efficiency levels rise, solar power is becoming a very attractive investment. Some companies out there are making leaps and bounds as they present new advancments and ideas. Timminco (TIM) has gone from 0.40 to 18 dollars in 8 months...unbelievable...poly silcon producer in which there is a huge bottle neck in supply which is the reason for the recent success....First Solar Inc (FSLR.NASDAQ) is a solar panel producer which has done very well too....I'm currently trading Arise Technologies (APV.V), Canadian based, currently constructing a plant in Germany scheduled for production of panels in the 2nd quarter of 2008....they are moving quite quickly as well....this stock should do very well considering the price earning ratios these companies trade at! At this point their market cap is 50 MM, once they can bring in some cashflow the stock will be at a whole new valuation, hopefully a much higher level!
Luke
Criminal
Criminal

City: BAY AREA!!!

PostPosted: Oct 29, 2007 9:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting prospect on the Solar. I have been following them and there seems to be a slow rise going on.
2 Image Dynamics Comp Drivers and 6.5" Drivers facing back
6 Pioneer 6x9's, 4 back/down 2 forward/down
2 Solo 10" Subs
chavez
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

City: Roseville

PostPosted: Oct 30, 2007 8:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Baseball cards, Pogs, Second Life dollars, and comic books.

There is a huge secondary market for this. Y'all should check it out.

RIP MHL 04/25/1958 - 01/11/2006
Luke
Criminal
Criminal

PostPosted: Nov 08, 2007 9:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Holy Crap! I was debating on buying FSLR last night cause it was $160 a share. I decided not to, then today it jumps $57 a share. Crazy market!
2 Solo 10" Subs
bsaaron
Outlaw
Outlaw

PostPosted: Nov 09, 2007 10:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyone invested in Potash? I think this is a great sector to be in with the increasing demand, especially from our friends China and India. Potash Corp, one of the worlds largest producers has a few mines within Canada with the majority of Potash coming from Saskatchewan. I recently have been following another up and coming Potash company out of Sask. called Anglo Minerals (ALM). They have a 1.5 million acer spread. They are currently focussing in one region where they are completing a seismic study to date. From here they plan a feasibility study for the construction of a mine. They have a joint Venture with BHP Billiton (currently bidding on largest Aluminum producer Rio Tinto). 25% Anglo, 75% BHP

Resource estimate: 460 MM tonnes @ 24.11% K20 (Inferred) which is about 110 MM tonnes potash. Typical price for potash is $150/tonne, so value in ground is about 16 billion bucks. Cant base a valuation off this number but it provides an idea of what is in the ground. Also inferred resources is not the number banks will give money on, so they will have to update their numbers to an indicated value (accuracy).

So far I do not own shares, but have watched the company make great gains in the past few months. It is currently trading at $4.50 on the venture exchange.

Has anyone else come across these guys or any others similar to it. ISX is one other I have found, but have done little research on it.
jhilly8982
Addict
Addict

City: Northville

PostPosted: Nov 09, 2007 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All i know is that no one knows what the hell is going on anywhere at least at the CBOT, wish i bought crude futures a month ago but did buy google a month ago @ $600
bsaaron
Outlaw
Outlaw

PostPosted: Nov 12, 2007 2:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unfortunatly the markets still have the aftermath of the credit crunch still hanging around.....there will be many stocks that will be discounted 20% this week, creates great buying opportunities, but really starts to wear thin when we just recovered from the last crash! There is going to be more downturn tomorrow, and I wouldnt recommend buying until there is clear uptrend, at this point I only see more red! Good luck, big guys like Google are taking hits as well, but will have enough strength to recover!
bsaaron
Outlaw
Outlaw

PostPosted: Dec 05, 2007 2:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How is everyone surviving the sloppy markets? 2008 should hopefully bring a new uptrend in the markets!
chavez
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

PostPosted: Dec 05, 2007 3:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

New uptrend?

As opposed to uptrend we have experienced this year?
bsaaron
Outlaw
Outlaw

PostPosted: Dec 06, 2007 11:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not talking about the overall year, im talking about the market conditions throughout all of November and so far December...The big boys are recovering nicely, but the junior resource stocks are still taking some licks!
chavez
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

PostPosted: Dec 06, 2007 11:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bsaaron, well, enjoy your gambling.

bsaaron
Outlaw
Outlaw

PostPosted: Dec 06, 2007 11:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Haha! I agree its not a safe bet, but you can come out on top if you do some homework! There are some amazing juniors making their way into becoming revenue producing companies!

For example:

Roca Mines (ROK.V): began production of moly 2 months ago...I got in early and now holding long to which will be a very profitable company...

Moly Mines (MOL.TO): Got in on the IPO of 1.00...stormed to 7 bucks in 6 months...sold my position and awaiting a re-entry when they receive financing for their monster moly mine in Austrailia (although it has a very large CAPEX and may be much harder now to attract the cash).

There are a few more, Red Back Mining (RBI)- Gold (becoming much bigger), KXL- Gold, ALM & KCL which are potash.....etc...all of which have provided great returns as long as you can get past the volitility and have confidence in what your buying....Anyways, hardly a gamble and love every minute of it!
chavez
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

PostPosted: Dec 06, 2007 12:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

chavez wrote:
bsaaron, well, enjoy your gambling.

^^^

Been there, done that. Used to work exclusively with companies just like those in an investment banking/corporate finance role. I stick by my original statement.

Best of luck.

Luke
Criminal
Criminal

PostPosted: Dec 06, 2007 4:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Still trading the solar stocks. Had good luck with SOLF, got in at 12 and 14 then it went to 20 where I got out. Just got back around a computer and saw it went to 30 then back down. Darn, wish I could a waited but I knew it would settle out and didn't want it dropping while I wasn't able to trade.
2 Solo 10" Subs
bsaaron
Outlaw
Outlaw

PostPosted: Dec 06, 2007 10:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm long solar! You made a good trade with SOLF regardless, cant complain on a gain thats for sure! Another solar company FSLR is steam rolling through 2007 with some massive gains! They are nothing short of a great company though. New 100 MW plant in Malaysia being constructed as we speak and 2 more adjacent plants planned to be online 2009, one 120 MW and the other is 150 MW. Seems like alot of work to be done but they are receiving long term contracts worth 700 MW within the next 4 years!! These guys are some fierce competition. I currently own Arise Tech (APV) which will have a 80 MW supply line by the end of 2008, plant is set to begin production April 2008..I hope they can achieve similar success as First Solar (which only started with 3 MW production line in 2003...they have come a long way, big contracts equal big expansion). Anyways, solar im my opinion will receive alot more attention in the coming years!
Alter Ego
Wakeboarder.Commie
Wakeboarder.Commie

City: Toronto / Bala

PostPosted: Dec 21, 2007 5:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Helloooooooooooo RIMM
chavez
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

PostPosted: Dec 21, 2007 10:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alter Ego, Job?

RIMM +11.62% in intraday. Not too shabby for a bunch of Canucks. Laughing

Alter Ego
Wakeboarder.Commie
Wakeboarder.Commie

City: Toronto / Bala

PostPosted: Dec 22, 2007 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

job? my job at RIM? business manager for Verizon Relationship....

anyways - its just going up and up and up. long term its microsoft, nokia, potential

arof
Wakeboarder.com Freak
Wakeboarder.com Freak

City: Toronto

PostPosted: Dec 30, 2007 8:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My issue with RIM is diversification.

They still only have one product, with no real competitors. What happens when someone specifically focuses on the corporate blackberry market with a more innovative product?

bsaaron
Outlaw
Outlaw

PostPosted: Jan 02, 2008 7:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If RIM shows weakness to new competition, take your profits and leave but no sense waiting for that to happen and then say "I told you so", that time period may be enough for someone to make some serious cash, it still shows strength and that is the time to buy!
bsaaron
Outlaw
Outlaw

PostPosted: Jan 08, 2008 10:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here we go again!! Dow is just 60 points away from testing the low in August!! Good time to move to cash and protect those profits...the rest of the week should be interesting! Junior potash companies took a major run in the past couple weeks and finally today they corrected in a major way!!
chavez
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

PostPosted: Jan 09, 2008 9:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Dow is just 60 points away from testing the low in August!! Good time to move to cash and protect those profits...

By all means do exactly the incorrect thing right now.

bsaaron
Outlaw
Outlaw

PostPosted: Jan 09, 2008 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just working the plan, so far in my favor....why not turn a paper gain into cash when market sentiment low...I see no problem here....
chavez
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

PostPosted: Jan 09, 2008 2:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bsaaron, because it is exactly what you shouldn't be doing!

When market sentiment is low, you would want to be looking for bargains and selling only to reinvest in those bargains or to lock in tax losses.

When market sentiment is high, you would want to be locking in profits and looking for bargains.

Every john dick and harry thinks the way you just posted. They follow the trends instead of following the money. Emotion should not rule the day.

The general rule of thumb is buy the rumor sell the news. In this case, the "rumor" is when things appear to suck ass, and the news is when times appear to be great.

Now, if you are just speculating on certain issues, by all means do what you will. If you are a real investor and not a speculator, you should be looking for long term results (buy and hold) not flashes in the pan.

J-Ro
PityDaFool Who Posts This Much
PityDaFool Who Posts This Much

City: Rocklin

PostPosted: Jan 09, 2008 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

chavez, Old timer took the words out of my mouth.

Read My Blog

RIP Leggester
chavez
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

PostPosted: Jan 09, 2008 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

J-Ro, nah man, just follow the crowd at chow time. You will find the mess hall. Laughing

bsaaron
Outlaw
Outlaw

PostPosted: Jan 09, 2008 8:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the tips..haha! Both PORTIONS of the positions I have sold in the past week have both achieved new highs and started to pull away from their resistance. They were sitting both at 12 & 13% profit, each day closed lower than the previous. From both I sold 30% of my position and held the rest. Within a few days including today they were down 7 & 9% giving me a margin of safety if they continue to dip to the nearest support level. Now, you can’t sit there and say the overall market hasn’t become more volatile since August, we have seen 3 temporary downturns, all of which bounced back, thankfully. I think it is safe to say that being cautious when momentum starts to swing is okay when you are sitting on "free" cash! I do not intend to sell blindly because Mr. Embry says "sell sell sell" but I have learned from past experiences that when sentiment is not in your favor, it’s okay to take a little off the table and sit on some cash when buying opportunities like now, are coming your way. If this puts me in the category of being part of the sheep....then baaaaa! This strategy has kept me afloat in previous momentum swings and I will continue to do so! Heres to a prosperous 2008!
chavez
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

PostPosted: Jan 10, 2008 10:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bsaaron, I'd classify you more as a "trader" than investor. Nothing wrong with that, but that is more on the speculation side than on the investing side.

Information you will see from me will be about investing. However, the fundamentals I mentioned are valid across the board.

The market is significantly more volatile at present - there is no disputing that. More the reason to stay the course and not jump ship, if you are properly allocated.

If you are trader, disregard what I just said, and follow your own technical analysis and make your own judgments. Just don't forget the fundamentals.

bsaaron
Outlaw
Outlaw

PostPosted: Jan 10, 2008 12:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I see what you are saying Chavez...Although 75% of my holdings are in long term investments of which I havent sold a single share, only to add more in situations like these where company and commodity fundementals have not changed! I do in fact trade smaller juniors more often when things turn sour, but only to keep the ones that qualify as an investment rather than a short term trade. But I do understand the risk level of my investments is greater than others, but thus far have generated very high returns. In the 75% of my holdings, gold, solar and molybdenum are fundementally my favorites! All in my oppinion of course!
Mariognarly
Addict
Addict

PostPosted: Jan 28, 2008 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bsaaron wrote:
Anyone invested in Potash? I think this is a great sector to be in with the increasing demand, especially from our friends China and India. Potash Corp, one of the worlds largest producers has a few mines within Canada with the majority of Potash coming from Saskatchewan. I recently have been following another up and coming Potash company out of Sask. called Anglo Minerals (ALM). They have a 1.5 million acer spread. They are currently focussing in one region where they are completing a seismic study to date. From here they plan a feasibility study for the construction of a mine. They have a joint Venture with BHP Billiton (currently bidding on largest Aluminum producer Rio Tinto). 25% Anglo, 75% BHP

Resource estimate: 460 MM tonnes @ 24.11% K20 (Inferred) which is about 110 MM tonnes potash. Typical price for potash is $150/tonne, so value in ground is about 16 billion bucks. Cant base a valuation off this number but it provides an idea of what is in the ground. Also inferred resources is not the number banks will give money on, so they will have to update their numbers to an indicated value (accuracy).

So far I do not own shares, but have watched the company make great gains in the past few months. It is currently trading at $4.50 on the venture exchange.

Has anyone else come across these guys or any others similar to it. ISX is one other I have found, but have done little research on it.

bsaaron,

I do the IT work for Anglo Minerals. My dad and I are pretty heavily involved in the company, him quite a bit moreso than myself. IMO potash is a great investment right now. It's just increased from 175$ a ton to 305$ a ton. BHP is throwing some major money at the minerals on our properties, and we are likely looking at a takeover situation this summer, pending their results. They have been showing a lot of interest in getting into the potash market, and we're a prime entry point for them.

Stock has been doing really well lately, we just released a Shareholders Rights Plan as well. We are trying to increase our international footprint. There is lots of potash interest from the Brazil/Argentina areas....getting BHP onboard with a project was a big step, but we're trying to get as many bidders as possible Cool.

Stay tuned, even if I wasn't directly involved....I'd be throwing money into Anglo. PM if you are interested in learning more about the company.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wakeboarder Forum Index -> Business and Finance All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Add To Favorites

Jump to: