Wakeboarder Forum Index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   StatisticsStats   FavoritesFavorites   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages  Log inLog in 
BlogsBlogs   

For those who know X-Stars...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wakeboarder Forum Index -> Wakeboard Boat General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
holdsworth
PityDaFool Who Posts This Much

City: Knoxville

PostPosted: Jun 09, 2010 10:45 am    Post subject: For those who know X-Stars... Reply with quote

My dad sold our boat pending us finding another one, which will be an X-Star. In order to suit the needs of both me and my dad, it needs to be able to throw a massive wake and go fast enough to barefoot wake. Necessity (1) is definitely do-able. Necessity (2) is my question. With what engine, if any of them, will the X-star need to pull my 220lb dad barefooting at an absolute minimum of 42-43MPH? It will probably be off the boom every time instead of longline.

BTW, worked it out that once I graduate, I'll buy the boat from him... not bad to know my first boat will be an X-Star that will have everything I'll already want Very Happy Definitely excited.
hco
Wakeboarder.Commie
Wakeboarder.Commie

City: Danbury

PostPosted: Jun 09, 2010 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

An unweighted xstar with the LY6 ypgrade should be able to get your dad barefooting. The LY6 is the biggest engine that you can get. However, I would wait to buy an X-star for a few months, or when you do really lowball the hell out of the seller because a new xstar (with all new hull) is coming out for the 2011's, so the current hull, and even the hull before that (I think in 04 they changed hulls?) will be 'obsolete.'
b33nine
Soul Rider
Soul Rider

City: Salem-ish

PostPosted: Jun 09, 2010 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You might check with Mastercraft, the local dealership has been super helpful with all my questions/issues. I'm guessing that you'll need a specific prop to be able to go fast enough.
holdsworth

PostPosted: Jun 09, 2010 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Forgot to mention that it will probably be an 04/05/06 X-Star... nothing new... I found one with the 8.1L...would that do the trick?
Ralph
Wakeboarder.Commie
Wakeboarder.Commie

City: Auckland, New Zealand

PostPosted: Jun 09, 2010 6:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No definitely not. If you want a wakeboat that foots you need a Geeko. I'll email your dad now...... Very Happy
leviwynnyk
Soul Rider
Soul Rider

City: Sylvan Lake

PostPosted: Jun 10, 2010 12:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ya, I think the prop will make a big difference. A prop setup for 3k or 4k of weight will not get up to 45mph. But there would definitley be something that would.
Chattwake
Wakeboarder.com Freak
Wakeboarder.com Freak

City: Chattanooga

PostPosted: Jun 10, 2010 4:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You do not want the 8.1. Those motors were prone to failure. I think Rusty's '08 XStar ultimately went through 3 8.1's by the time it was turned in and resold.

You can reprop to pull at 42-43, but you're going to lose low end torque. On an xstar, that's bad. It takes an absolute ton of additional weight to increase the size of the wake behind an xstar. I'm not sure why that's the case, but it is what it is. If you're propped for wakeboarding, the extra weight is not that big of a deal. However, if you prop for speed, you're going to have a much harder time planing out with any motor option.
holdsworth

PostPosted: Jun 10, 2010 5:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chattwake, ah, that's probably why the one I found has 0 hours on the motor Laughing .

That's pretty disappointing to hear though... My dad is going to call up to the dealer and see what he says. Maybe I can talk him into using his friends boat (he has access to it already) to barefoot, and in Tennessee there's a guy with a Nautique that gets up to barefoot in the mornings.... I'll see what I can come up with Wink Thanks for the input!
Chattwake
Wakeboarder.com Freak
Wakeboarder.com Freak

PostPosted: Jun 10, 2010 6:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sure, no problem. I was on my 230 last night and a rain storm came up. the boat was empty except for 5 people and the zr409 was just about tapped out full throttle and the boat only got up to like 43-44. These big wakeboats are not made for speed that's for sure!

What are you guys looking to spend by the way? I could make a few calls to see what's available locally. Have you considered an Axis A22 or a used/demo Super Air 210? If you're dead set on an xstar, I've got a friend with a huge MC dealership in Knoxville that I can call to see what used stuff he can get.
Chattwake
Wakeboarder.com Freak
Wakeboarder.com Freak

PostPosted: Jun 10, 2010 6:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, I see you're in florida. My friend Adam is a manager at miamiskinautiques, and he could probably get you a smokin deal on a used boat down there.
holdsworth

PostPosted: Jun 10, 2010 10:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chattwake, I only go to school in Florida, but live in Ohio. We're going to Tennessee in a month (Norris) for a week and a half and are hoping to find one by then.

Also, our X-30 is capable of going fast enough to barefoot with the MCX motor and it's a bigger boat than the X-Star. Would it go fast enough with just me and him? And the weight I would put in it would be stock, 2-440lb in the rear compartments, and a 540 up in the bow walkway. I've ridden a stock X-star and can ride that no problem, adding another 1400lbs would be good enough for now. Trust me on that... I learned a pete/back mobe/crow mobe and more behind an X-7 with 2 fat sacs and my dad, and the X-30 wake was nothing compared to with this extra weight Laughing
Chattwake
Wakeboarder.com Freak
Wakeboarder.com Freak

PostPosted: Jun 10, 2010 10:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd check on the tmcowners forum and see if there's be a discussion about barefooting behind an xstar. I'm just not sure how effective they are for barefooting.
holdsworth

PostPosted: Jun 10, 2010 1:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My dad talked with the local dealer and unless we can find an 07+ X-Star with what we want (color, graphics, options, and the 6.0L motor) then it's not going to happen Sad Time to do some searching!
Chattwake
Wakeboarder.com Freak
Wakeboarder.com Freak

PostPosted: Jun 11, 2010 3:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Look at the Xstar on www.americanboatcenter.com 's website.
holdsworth

PostPosted: Jun 11, 2010 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looking for an 07/08 Around 55K or less...
tommyg

City: Walnut Creek

PostPosted: Jun 11, 2010 9:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hco wrote:
An unweighted xstar with the LY6 ypgrade should be able to get your dad barefooting. The LY6 is the biggest engine that you can get. However, I would wait to buy an X-star for a few months, or when you do really lowball the hell out of the seller because a new xstar (with all new hull) is coming out for the 2011's, so the current hull, and even the hull before that (I think in 04 they changed hulls?) will be 'obsolete.'

lol...I've got an '02 Super Air Nautique. CC changed the hull of our boat, but I've never heard anyone tell me that our boat is "obsolete". All depends on what the next MC turns out to be. If, as with our CC, a lot of folks still prefer the older boat's wake, it will never be obsolete.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wakeboarder Forum Index -> Wakeboard Boat General Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Add To Favorites

Jump to: