Wakeboarder Forum Index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   StatisticsStats   FavoritesFavorites   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages  Log inLog in 
BlogsBlogs   

costs involved in running a shop

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wakeboarder Forum Index -> Business and Finance
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kartman
Wakeboarder.Commie
Wakeboarder.Commie

City: meridian, Idaho

PostPosted: May 17, 2011 7:17 am    Post subject: costs involved in running a shop Reply with quote

for the last year, i have been doing mobile boat and auto repair. but this year i cant keep up with the demand. it sucks when i have to tell people that i cant do there job because it is to big, or time consuming.

i have found a few shops around here for about 600 a month, but im wanting to know what other fees are involved in running a repair shop. with me being mobile, there are alot of things that i can get away with. like taking all my used oil to a parts store to get rid of, dont have electricity to pay unless i do a job at my house, some jobs are paid under the table, etc.

i have a couple leads to work at boat dealers, but i would think working for myself would be alot better. i know that the pay might not be much better after i pay my dues. ie taxes, fees, rent, insurance, and help. but i would get time off when i want, come in when i want, stay as late as i want within reason and if i have a job to do i need to get it done and not sleep in.

so if you have experience running a boat shop, or a car repair shop please let me know about your experience. and whether or not you would move forward with getting a shop or not.
brew
Wakeboarder.com Freak
Wakeboarder.com Freak

City: Jackson

PostPosted: May 17, 2011 11:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The major overhead type costs you are going to be looking at that you don't have now are rent, utilities, insurance, waste disposal and business taxes. I assume you would start this with only you working at it, so that eliminates all payroll related costs which are generally a big chunk. I'm also making the assumption that you have the tools, etc. you need.

Do you hold particular certifications in the field? I would assume that is going to affect your insurance rates greatly and potentially even whether you can get particular insurance types. I wouldn't expect it to be cheap either.

Also make sure that whatever location you are looking at has adequate secure storage if you are going to be keeping boats for any extended period.

I would think you would be better off starting out with a dealership unless you have a large network of people and a good reputation. I see plenty of small shops that barely make it by, because most people with decent boats/cars are going to go to a bigger shop and pay the additional cost just for peace of mind.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wakeboarder Forum Index -> Business and Finance All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Add To Favorites

Jump to: