Wakeboarder Forum Index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   StatisticsStats   FavoritesFavorites   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages  Log inLog in 
BlogsBlogs   

When can a job replace an MBA?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
McGoose
Outlaw
Outlaw

City: R.I.

PostPosted: Mar 07, 2008 10:03 am    Post subject: When can a job replace an MBA? Reply with quote

Are there any situations that you can think of where elements of a job (number of direct reports, management experience in a big publicly traded corporation with 100% college educated staff...) We're talking about a staff of direct reports of 16.

Is this sort of experience a good proxy for an MBA? In your opinions.

I ask because I have been calling my current job my MBA job. How far off am I?
jryoung
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

City: Man Jose

PostPosted: Mar 07, 2008 10:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think that the right experience can fully offset an MBA. While it is a nice card to pull, experience is the best teacher.

My brother has no degree, no college, nothing. He is currently a VP at a start-up that is servicing several fortune-500s and have a major contract with the US Government. His colleagues have the degrees, but in working with them they recognized his talent.

Wakebrad
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

City: Dallas

PostPosted: Mar 07, 2008 12:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That would be hard to quantify since there are so many disciplines in an MBA. For instance my wife is finishing up hers in finance. I'm sure you could get the finance experience (for the most part) and the management classes.

That's what an executive MBA is though. You use your experience for part of your hours. You take less hours but pay more money and need more experience.

I think a big part of it is networking though. You get to meet a lot of great people in your classes and in industry. That can obviously be achieved in the work place but it's hard to get that kind of variety.

Bambamski
Wakeboarder.com Freak
Wakeboarder.com Freak

City: Calgary

PostPosted: Mar 31, 2014 6:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Honestly in a lot of ways i think people that have MBA's that I've dealt with or worked for me are freaken retards compared to most. I almost think they're useless, they can't get ahead so they think a piece of paper is going to put them ahead of someone else. I'm of the opinion you don't have to be super intelligent to get an MBA. The seem to be worth the same amount as my Costco toilet paper that I wipe my ass with ... End of MBA rant....
Broccoli B
Wakeboarder.com Freak
Wakeboarder.com Freak

City: Grand Rapids

PostPosted: Mar 31, 2014 7:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have an MBA from a top 100 school and completely agree with Bambamski, Half of my colleagues are getting MBA's from stuff online schools and i swear most managers that don't know anything put the same value in a MBA from the university of phoenix as they do from Kellogg or Ross. That has really cheapened the traditional MBA.

3 years later and my MBA has been a waste of money. BUT i haven't switched jobs yet and they say you will never get the value of a new degree from your current employer, you have to switch.

lcap wrote:
you assume that i assume that my assuming is wrong and assume your assumption therefore must be correct.
nmballa
Wakeboarder.com Freak
Wakeboarder.com Freak

City: Milwaukee

PostPosted: Mar 31, 2014 11:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My previous job required a 4-year degree but I skirted in via an acquisition. When this company was in turn acquired by a fortune 500 a bit of a stink was made about my qualifications but at that time I was also the top global sales person. They let that slide but I left very shortly after that and started my own company.

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=509037985&ref=profile
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
ohsix
PityDaFool Who Posts This Much

PostPosted: Mar 31, 2014 1:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This thread got revived by a spammer.

That said, I don't think continued education is usually worth what you put into it. As a business owner, my pay isn't going to change based on my education, but I do occasionally take short courses in an effort to improve business skills. I've been mostly disappointed in the last few short courses I've taken. I've talked to a couple of CFOs of multi-billion dollar oil companies about getting an MBA and although they had MBAs from Harvard and Wharton, neither recommended I take the time to get one if I plan to always work for myself. They thought the amount of effort I would focus on an MBA would pay a better dividend if focused on my business.
chavez
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

City: Roseville

PostPosted: Apr 01, 2014 6:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
neither recommended I take the time to get one if I plan to always work for myself. They thought the amount of effort I would focus on an MBA would pay a better dividend if focused on my business.

Well, yeah. I mean, are you going to fire yourself for not having a MBA? Laughing

Seriously though, even though this was "necromanced" by a spammer, it's still interesting to see where people are on the subject years later. Seems not much has changed in this area.

I know having an MBA would do almost nothing for me. Hell, I never finished my BA and things are going just fine here. Experience and skill set are much more important in the real world, even if a lot of companies require it to get in their door. Sure it slims the applicant list, but at what cost? Of course, there are many disciplines where the education is necessary, but so many where it is just unnecessary and not a very good indicator of that person's abilities. I've met some pretty damn stupid JD, MBA, and PhD holders.

RIP MHL 04/25/1958 - 01/11/2006
eeven73

City: Halfway

PostPosted: Apr 01, 2014 6:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
. They thought the amount of effort I would focus on an MBA would pay a better dividend if focused on my business.

In my case, I also believe this is also true of my undergraduate degree.

flixmaster
Site Owner
Site Owner

PostPosted: May 26, 2014 9:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think some work experience before going back for an MBA is best. I have known a number of young guns just blow straight thru to an MBA. Just feel like they would get more out of the MBA after having some actual OJT.

I do know a number of people that have stayed at the same job after getting an MBA...no change in pay, no update in title. They did get a cake and a party to celebrate. Smile I also think if you are going to get an MBA be ready to leave your current job to make more money.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Blog Visit poster's website
Nor*Cal
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

City: Sac

PostPosted: May 27, 2014 9:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Higher Educations is an arms race these days and beginning to wash itself out of relevance. In my professional world masters degrees and JDs are like resume jewelry and a large swath of the new generation of potential hires have MA/MS/JDs with no work experience. I think for some industries like mine there is a diminishing return on making that educational "investment" as opposed to the hours actually doing the work.

I've made a conscious decision not to pursue higher education because of opportunity cost. There's no real difference in salary. There might be more opportunity in terms of in-house corporate jobs but on the contract side it's all ability, which degrees simply do not convey.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zfeVetnode8

ontrider
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

City: Russia

PostPosted: May 27, 2014 12:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you can get a job without the paper, you're going to get more valuable, real world experience anyway. And get paid for doing it vs. going into debt. Obviously it's not feasible in some professions, but in business you can definitely set your own path.
jason_ssr
Wakeboarder.com Freak
Wakeboarder.com Freak

City: Dallas, Tx

PostPosted: May 28, 2014 10:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Higher education doesn't mean what it once did. Its also getting to where it isn't all that financially beneficial. The cost of the education is greater than the additional earnings received from having it. Simply put, the education cost is ridiculous, and employers aren't paying a significant amount more for someone who has one, vs someone who does not.

It seems that in the modern job landscape, people are looking at what you CAN do rather than looking at what a piece of paper says you can potentially do.

I would put far more effort into actual jobs and networking. Honestly, its my experience that real career type jobs are gained by referral, not blind application.

My avatar is NOT a pic of me! HAHA!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wakeboarder Forum Index -> Non-Wakeboarding All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Add To Favorites

Jump to: