Wakeboarder Forum Index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   StatisticsStats   FavoritesFavorites   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages  Log inLog in 
BlogsBlogs   

Malibu Boats A step above & Beyond, read and you decide

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wakeboarder Forum Index -> Wakeboard Boat General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
malibutansnc

City: wilmington

PostPosted: Feb 07, 2008 10:01 am    Post subject: Malibu Boats A step above & Beyond, read and you decide Reply with quote

Malibu Boats slogan I believe is a step above and beyond. I'd like to share my story and then you decide just how true that is. I will try to make this as short as possible, but I do promise it is worth reading.

I purchased a 2002 Malibu LSV in 2006. I am the 3rd owner of this boat, so keep in mind I have no warranty. I saw the boat sitting on the side of the road, fair price for the condition, I knew I was going to have to put SOME money into. Unfortunately for me, the seller was probably the most dishonest person I have had the displeasure of meeting. I bought it and took it straight to a Malibu Dealer, told them to go through it and make it right. I ending up spending 3k that trip, replacing motor mounts was one things that was done.

A month later I broke my first of 6 shafts. yes I was busting shafts. Every time a shaft was busted a repair was done, we replaced the transmission, the vdrive and even had the bottom of the boat completely reglassed. Short version, 6 shafts and 2 Malibu dealers later, I call Malibu Manufacturer in complete frustration. The first answer from Malibu was of course, we cannot help you your boat is not under warranty. That is until Doug Childress & Kerri Johns at the Malibu Plant in Tennessee heard my story.

A step above, they sent a driver to my home in Wilmington NC and took my boat to the plant in Tennessee to get to the bottom of why I was busting shafts, this just never happens in boats. They then found the problem & fixed it,apparently I had the wrong size motor mounts put on, can ya believe that? So they fixed that and they also replaced the blower, installed perfect pass,replaced my entire muffler system & exhaust tips, adjusted steering, new battery, new upgraded prop, shaft & strut. I am sure I am leaving things out here, sorry!

A step beyond, they bring my boat back to my home shrink wrapped, upon opening my boat I find that it has been completely buffed, decals replaced, the entire back lockers have been replaced, new upholstery, new floor, new ski locker in floor, new stereo and all new shocks and locks. I almost called them thinking they had sent me a new boat on mistake, my jaw dropped in total disbelief.

My boat looks entirely brand new. I did not ask Malibu to do this. I cannot believe that they did this, I know plenty of people with wakeboard boats that have a hard time getting warranty work done. And here I am a 3rd owner no warranty being treated as if I just purchased a brand new boat from them. I have never heard of the manufacturer standing up to this degree, I mean my boat was not at the dealer it was at the plant where the boats where made! They did not have to do ANY of it, but they did.

I cannot say Thank you enough to Malibu! I can say I am extremely proud to be a part of the Malibu Boat family and will never trade my Malibu for any other boat!

Malibu IS A Step Above and Beyond!!
sandm
Outlaw
Outlaw

PostPosted: Feb 07, 2008 10:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nice story.
I love my supra, but have not had any luck getting them to send me a dozen snaps for the tonneu covers. even offered to buy them...

I bet that they just made a customer for life...
malibutansnc

PostPosted: Feb 07, 2008 10:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Malibu is always quick to get back to me on parts & accessories, even though my boat is alittle older I have not had any problems. Smile

I am for sure a customer for life!
Hollywood
PityDaFool Who Posts This Much

City: Door Knob

PostPosted: Feb 07, 2008 11:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's great, but what does the dealer that was bending you over fixing parts that may or may not have been broken due to them installing the wrong mounts have to say for themselves?
Brit Rider
Wakeboarder.com Freak
Wakeboarder.com Freak

City: Cheshire, England

PostPosted: Feb 07, 2008 11:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great story - any pics? Very Happy
malibutansnc

PostPosted: Feb 07, 2008 12:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hollywood wrote:
That's great, but what does the dealer that was bending you over fixing parts that may or may not have been broken due to them installing the wrong mounts have to say for themselves?

whoops. double post sorry.

Last edited by malibutansnc on Feb 07, 2008 12:12 pm; edited 1 time in total
malibutansnc

PostPosted: Feb 07, 2008 12:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hollywood wrote:

Sadly, not much. I don't want this to turn into a bashing that particular dealer, because believe me when I tell you that I have gone around and around with them, and Malibu knows that. I even filed a complaint on BBB against that dealer. Yes that dealer I DO have problems with and will NEVER use them again.
BUT this thread is about how Malibu themselves stood up and went above and beyond.
Thankfully Malibu as a company stood up and took over doing what the dealer should have and then some!! Smile
malibutansnc

PostPosted: Feb 07, 2008 12:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brit Rider wrote:
Great story - any pics? Very Happy

Kinda. We took the shrink wrap off in a way we could put it back on... if that makes sense at all, so the pics really aren't good, you can only see the new decals. But when the season starts (in just a few short weeks FINALLY!) I will come back and post before & afters Smile[/img]
Hollywood

City: Door Knob

PostPosted: Feb 07, 2008 12:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is a cool story about Malibu, I was just interested in the dealer part of it that's all. Good for you, and for Malibu to not let one crappy dealer relationship turn you off to their product.
malibutansnc

PostPosted: Feb 07, 2008 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank Hollywood. I just tend to get really bent about that dealer. Thank god Malibu is a stand up kinda place to make up for that though.
oshensurfer

PostPosted: Feb 07, 2008 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

malibutansnc, cool story. Glad for ya!
Ralph
Wakeboarder.Commie
Wakeboarder.Commie

City: Auckland, New Zealand

PostPosted: Feb 07, 2008 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its heartening to see a big player in the industry not be arrogant & go the extra mile for service. Props to them.
HeadRush
Soul Rider
Soul Rider

City: Somewhere over there.......

PostPosted: Feb 08, 2008 7:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I call BS.
krbaugh
Addict
Addict

City: Edwardsville

PostPosted: Feb 09, 2008 9:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lets say I am more than a little skeptical

"I ending up spending 3k that trip" Shocked
"we replaced the transmission, the vdrive and even had the bottom of the boat completely reglassed" Shocked

Why on earth would you replace a v drvie and tranny for a obvious alignment problem? Much less glass the bottom of the boat Shocked

"So they fixed that and they also replaced the blower, installed perfect pass,replaced my entire muffler system & exhaust tips, adjusted steering, new battery, new upgraded prop, shaft & strut"

Shocked Why would Malibu replace muffler system & exhaust tips, adjusted steering, new battery, new upgraded prop, shaft & strut if the problem was the motor mount on a 3 owner boat years out of warranty
DRAGON88
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

City: Portland, OR

PostPosted: Feb 09, 2008 11:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seems legit to me, as well as others on the maibu forums.

http://www.themalibucrew.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=12891&st=0&start=0

krbaugh
Addict
Addict

PostPosted: Feb 09, 2008 11:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am not saying that Malibu does not have great service but that
story is either missing some key facts or it is fiction
malibutansnc

PostPosted: Feb 09, 2008 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Im not for sure why you'd think I would make it up, thats kinda lame.

I think they did it because I had so many issues. This has been spread out over a 2 year time period of trying to figure out what the problem was. The 3k I spent was when I first purchased the boat, I had several things done, but the main thing I wanted to point out was that the dealer at that time put mooba mounts on my boat and didn't tell me, they where off a inch I believe.

When I took it back to that dealer they then said it had to be my transmission throwing the alignment off, here's a clue I am NOT a mechanic, so if they are telling me thats what it is I can't really disagree. After 2 more shafts I called the malibu plant and spoke with Mike Sanchez who believed at that point and all the work I had done the hull must be twisting, which made sense after we found out the previous owner had run it a ground, we found this out because with the help of Malibu we got all the paperwork from boat dealers who had worked on our boat. So we got it reglassed. when it busted another shaft that is when Doug & Kerri from the Tennessee plant got involved. Feeling at that point they had to do something they did, and I suppose they went as far as they did to make up for all my problems, they actually want Malibu owners to beproud and happy, GOOD FOR MALIBU.

I suppose if you still think my story is not true call anyone who rides in the Cape Fear River in Wilmington NC ask about Kristi & Eric's boat, they can confirm my story. Or call Malibu themselves ask to talk to Kerri, Mike or Doug. Hey what the hell call Grandpas Marine in Greensboro NC where my boat was taken. But I guess you'd think they where all lying to huh? Dude your lame, what's wrong with just saying, wow Im so shocked Malibu did such a awesome thing?? Rolling Eyes
K-dub
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

PostPosted: Feb 09, 2008 4:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

krbaugh, technically that boat was not "years" out of warranty....unlike Centurion, Malibu does have a 3 year warranty on the motor/DRIVETRAIN that is TRANSFERRABLE to MULTIPLE owners with NO added fee for as long as the warranty is still in effect. Not to mention the "Lifetime" warranty on the Hull....the original poster being the 3rd owner means nothing here.

Now, considering that the boat was "just" out of warranty, and by the sounds of it, Malibu knew that this boat was a problem child to begin with.....I have no doubt in my mind that they took care of this poster as stated.

Sounds like they went the extra mile to take care of a future repeat buyer of a Malibu to me.
When I have to deal with Malibu on warranty issues......1st owner or not, they are always ready to try to make it right. And off of the top of my head, I can think of several times they have gone the "extra" mile or ten, just to make it even more right.

malibutansnc, congrats on the "new" used boat. I'm sure you'll get alot of good fun out of it this coming summer.
malibutansnc

PostPosted: Feb 09, 2008 5:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks k-dub.
malibutansnc

PostPosted: Feb 09, 2008 5:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I want to clarify one thing. I shared my story because I believe Malibu did WHATEVER it took to make me happy. ANd I wanted to share this because this boats are expensive and if someone is looking at spending this kind of money, they should consider what the boat company will do, meaning will they stand behind their product. MALIBU WILL. So please anyone looking at buying a new boat, RESEARCH. find stories and owners and think about the big picture when dropping 40k OR MORE on a new boat Smile
Blindside_137
Wakeboarder.com Freak
Wakeboarder.com Freak

City: Raleigh

PostPosted: Feb 09, 2008 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

malibutansnc, I sent you a PM.
krbaugh
Addict
Addict

PostPosted: Feb 09, 2008 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is true that Malibus engine warranty is one year longer than Centurion what that has to do with the price of tea in China I have no idea! Wasn't it a 2002 so the warranty was out in 2005 and this is 2008 Question

Well what ever if Malibu did all of the above Huge kudos to Malibu and congrats to malibutansnc!
malibutansnc

PostPosted: Feb 09, 2008 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like I said I Dont see why you doubt my story, what would I get from making this all up.

SO seeing as how they did in fact do what I said they did I will just say Thanks krbaugh
krbaugh
Addict
Addict

PostPosted: Feb 09, 2008 8:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The reasons i doubted it was My moma always said if it sounds to good to be true it probably is. Plus this is the internet Wink Good luck with the boat!
DRAGON88
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

PostPosted: Feb 09, 2008 9:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

krbaugh, Malibu didn't do all of those things at once. This is spread out over a few year period.

Malibutansnc wrote:

Wow!! Never did I think when I made this post on a 3 sites would it go so far!!
First my name is Kristi I own the boat and I made that post. I live in Wilmington NC and ride on the Cape Fear River. Anyone who rides there knows me & my boat and can tell you it is all true. BUT like I said in the post I wanted to make it short so I left alot out of the story. Rather the responding to every post made to this, I will just tell ya the whole story. Grab a beer or drink of your choice because as shot as I TRY to make this, it won't be that short! Smile.gif

I purchased the boat knowing it had been in salt water ( and was told that nothing was wrong with it) But I knew RUST was gonna be a issue, so I took it straight to a malibu dealer and asked them to do what needed to be done. At that time one thing was done to the boat that has importance and that would be the mounts where rusted, so they where replaced. What I DID NOT know was that they where replaced with moomba mounts that are about a inch off. When the first shaft broke we just put another one on and replaced the prop thinking that we had hit something?? Then it broke again, we took it back and they said it was a alignment issue, and replaced it. and then again and this time they said that the transmission & Vdrive needed to be replaced. Of course I'm NOT a mechanic and these guys are so who am I to argue right? So ok do it. And it broke again, at this point I call Malibu themselves and I am mad. So they say take it to another dealer, we did. They assured me at that point it was 100 % aligned correctly, and guess what? yep broke again. I call Malibu again even more mad. Malibu hinks this cannot be possible, shafts don't just break clean in half like mine are, the only thing it could be was the hull for some eason is twisting so They help me find all the paperwork on the boat, I also go to local shops here found more paperwork on my boat and find out the previous owner had run it aground, so maybe the hull is twisting, so we refiberglass it and it breaks again and I FLIP. So Malibu at that point says we are coming to get your boat. And they did and THEY found the wrong mounts on my boat and fix it. And I suppose because of all my problems they did all the extra work to my boat. They basicilly treated it like a warranty boat and did what they would do to any boat.

A few thing to clarify. If you own a Malibu they have seat skins there, so no I did not get the upholstery you'd find in a new Malibu, I got what originally came in my boat. Also they did not do ALL my seats just the back where rips where.

So thats the story. It's true. I don't get why anyone would think it was a "made up" story, why would I waste my time doing that...come on now it's 70 here I don't have that kinda time, I wanna be on my boat Smile

krbaugh
Addict
Addict

PostPosted: Feb 09, 2008 9:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok now that makes a lot more since like I said "story is either missing some key facts" I knew there had to be more to the story thanks for clearing that up
DRAGON88
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

PostPosted: Feb 09, 2008 10:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

krbaugh, honestly I was pretty skeptical at first too, but after a few people in the know claimed it to be legit and her post on TMC, I sided on the side of legitimacy.

Fully agreed that the original post lacked a lot of the meaty details.

malibutansnc

PostPosted: Feb 10, 2008 6:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep I did leave stuff out, but only because I tried to make the post short. Like I said I did it because I wanted people to know that Malibu would stand up for thier product when they need to. It's not like they did it when my first, second or even third shaft broke, they did it when it had been to 2 dealers and the dealers where kinda scratching thier heads. I suppose after all the posting I have done now, it would have been much easier to just make one long post, but come on who's gonna read a post that long haha.
Commodore
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

PostPosted: Feb 10, 2008 8:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

malibutansnc, congratgs on getting it worked out.
Mike O
Soul Rider
Soul Rider

City: KINGSPORT

PostPosted: Feb 10, 2008 4:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I fully believe that! I was a Malibu owner for many years and know Kerri Johns personally as I visited the plant many times and If I ever had an issue with my boat, she was right on top of fixing it. Malibu does care about there boat owners when the boat has been reasonably taken care of. Some folks abuse a boat and want the company to be responsible for fixing it. good for you malibutansnc! Very Happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wakeboarder Forum Index -> Wakeboard Boat General Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Add To Favorites

Jump to: