Wakeboarder Forum Index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   StatisticsStats   FavoritesFavorites   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages  Log inLog in 
BlogsBlogs   

2008 College Football
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 45, 46, 47  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
jt09
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

City: Austin

PostPosted: Feb 18, 2008 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think you'll have a problem. McGee is undoubtably the leader of that team and there's a legit QB in there somewhere - certainly more than Johnson (who I also kind of like asa a player).
Wakebrad
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

City: Dallas

PostPosted: Feb 18, 2008 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I understand where you are coming from, but it's no way to run a team.

I agree. We really have no idea how good of a leader Johnson could be. I'm sure those qualities will be in the evaluation. I hope McGee can pull it out but after 3 years of coaching I think you develop instincts that can't be undone so quickly. Even if your mind tells you to stay in the pocket, in that moment your instincts take over and I have a feeling he is going to tuck the ball far too often.

Dpierce37
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

PostPosted: Apr 15, 2008 8:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wakebrad, I heard there was some trouble on the aggie field...teams fallin' apart!!!! Mr. Green
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

PostPosted: Apr 15, 2008 8:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dpierce37, spill it
Dpierce37
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

PostPosted: Apr 15, 2008 8:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Brawl prompts strong reaction from Sherman

Apparently, new Texas A&M coach Mike Sherman wants to keep all the hitting between the lines and whistles only.

Sherman became enraged during Friday's practice when punches were exchanged between defensive end Michael Bennett and offensive linemen Michael Shumard and Travis Schneider, which prompted a brief brawl between the offense and defense.

Sherman quickly put an end to it, calling a team huddle where he could be heard screaming at his players about the way they conducted themselves. Sherman could be heard offering unconditional releases to those who didn't want to do things his way. His tirade was followed by a lot of running in the final 20 minutes of practice.

"To me it's a lack of discipline to be honest," Sherman said. "The fight was the teammates, the offense versus the defense.

"Everybody is your teammate so you don't hit on your teammates. That's just the way it is. That's discipline in my mind. Sometimes tempers flare up a little bit but it will it's all broken up pretty quickly, it shouldn't carry on like it just did."

Some of the players, however, described it as a big misunderstanding. Under former coach Dennis Franchione, those type of altercations where almost encouraged. Some of the players apparently tried to explain that to Sherman before exiting the practice field.

"I think they understand where I'm coming from on that issue. You don't hit your teammate," Sherman said. "They have to learn that a defensive player is as much your teammates as that offensive player and vice-versa.

"It's important that we are a team and not two teams. We were two teams out there today."

Other than the fight, Sherman said he was pleased with the final installation practice of the spring.

"They were moving around and doing some good things and then we ended it like that, which is frustrating," he said. "We had planned a few more periods but it wasn't any use to doing it, we were just wasting some time."

Other sights and sounds from Friday's practice

Freshman receiver Jeff Fuller, who graduated from high school early and enrolled in school this semester, made a couple nice catches and showed glimpses of why at 6-foot-4 and 209 pounds he could be a real threat in the offense at some point this season...The starting linebacker trio at this point looks to be Matt Featherston in the middle with Von Miller and Garrick Williams as the outside linebackers. Williams, a redshirt freshman, spent last season as wide receiver under the old staff. Anthony Lewis is backing up Featherston and Billy Chavis and Williams will likely compete for playing time as Chavis becomes more comfortable in the defense...Jordan Peterson has shifted over from cornerback to free safety and Devin Gregg is now at strong safety. Sherman said incumbent Stephen McGee and sophomore Jerrod Johnson are very close in the quarterback competition. McGee was expected to miss the contact portion of practice after off-season surgery on his shoulder, but he recovered quickly and has been cleared for full contact practices...All indications are Jorvorskie Lane is handling the shift from running back to fullback well. He didn't practice Friday because of a head and neck injury...Former cornerback turned wide receiver Jamie McCoy is now getting a look at tight end. The 6-foot-4, 224 pound Midland product is still a little slight for the position but he shows a great deal of promise catching the ball.
jt09
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

PostPosted: Apr 15, 2008 10:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

meh. nothing wrong w/ a good brawl at practice.

fuller's a beast - dude should be the best wr at aggy in forever.

i do find it hilarious that jorvorskie lane got moved to fullback. wonder how long that tearfest lasted.
Wakebrad
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

PostPosted: Apr 15, 2008 11:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dpierce37, yeah it was nothing. The story was about how Sherman handled it. From hearing reports it sounded like Fran didn't discourage fights, that he had a philosophy that it meant that guys were intense during practice and it helped fuel competition.

Sherman coming down hard on the guys for a fight shows he will not accept an offense vs defense mindset in practice. That they are a team and there is no reason to throw punches.

jt09, haha I know. I do not understand Lane. How can you go through 2 a days weighing 280+ and not drop weight like crazy. If he could have gotten down to 250 he might have been able to play at RB. Dude just didn't have the self control. There are numerous reports from CS of Lane coming in and eating how you'd expect him to eat.

I like the move though. With Goodson (who I hear is looking damn good in practice), Bradley Stephens, and Cyrus Gray coming in next year we have plenty of guys at the position. Lane at FB still allows us to utilize him in the running game but also puts another 300#er (almost) in front of defenders.

It sounds like you were right about McGee. Dude is just a monster, had shoulder surgery a few months ago and is already a full participant in practice. He was supposed to miss the entire spring. Apparently he looks like a totally different QB out there. I hear Johnson is looking good too but McGee is the man to beat.

Overall I really like what I am hearing from the new coaching staff. When Fran would make a move I was left scratching my head, at least the new staff is doing things that make sense to me. Actually putting some speed on the defense, converting Safeties to LBs, LBs to DEs, Corners to Safety.

We're screwed if we have any injuries though. It sounds like our starting line-up is looking pretty solid but if we lose just a few guys it gets sparse real quick. Especially on O-line.

Fuller is apparently making some great plays with his height. I'm really glad Sherman was about to steal him back from OU.

Dpierce37
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

PostPosted: Apr 15, 2008 11:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Has anyone seen the latest pic of the Tennesse guy with his leg bent the wrong way...about made me lose my lunch.
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

PostPosted: Apr 15, 2008 11:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

it was an easy steal - he was aggy all the way. can't remember what the story was as to why he went to ou in the first place.

i don't know about lane moving to fb. seems like he'll pout and not give 100% if he's not "the man." it is a shame he can't keep his weight down, because i've always said he could be just an absolute monster at 240-245. your stable of RBs is pretty nice now. still not 100% sold on stephens just because of his competition in hs down in the valley, but he certainly looks good on film. gray's a stud too.
Wakebrad
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

PostPosted: Apr 15, 2008 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jt09, yeah, Fuller's dad went to A&M I believe. He committed to OU because they couldn't stomach playing in Fran's offense as a WR (I didn't blame them).

You bring up a good point about Lane not giving 100%. It's something that anyone would be concerned with. I just hope he realizes what's best for him and his kids and gets on board. Pouting instead of working to play on Sundays would be quite a shame.

Dpierce37
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

PostPosted: Apr 15, 2008 1:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Our stadium is coming along well...the webcame is back up!!!
http://www.texassports.com/webcam.html

Ladies Man
Ladies Man

PostPosted: Apr 15, 2008 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah D$ - it's going to be SWEET!!!! i went to the spring game and it already looked good. they've got 5 or 6 sections ot the top completed now, iirc. i'll hotlink some better pics later.
senorbueno
Addict
Addict

PostPosted: Apr 15, 2008 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Goodson is definitely a stud... he can straight play. I never understood how Fran tried to implement J-Train against OU... on 3rd and 4th and short he would draw up some type of passing play and not use the human bowling ball. If I was an A&M fan, I'd definitely want the ball in Goodson's hands a lot though. I'm with JT too, I think McGee is a solid QB, just the system was terrible.

Dpierce37, I drove through Austin last weekend... met up w/ some UT friends. Definitely noticed the progress on the stadium.... I really wish we would bowl out ours up here in Norman. Maybe someday. Looking pretty sweet, I've actually never seen a game there though
chavez
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

City: Roseville

PostPosted: May 02, 2008 7:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Perrilloux is OUT.

http://msn.foxsports.com/cfb/story/8097860/Troubled-LSU-QB-Perrilloux-tossed-off-team

What a dipsh*t.

RIP MHL 04/25/1958 - 01/11/2006
jt09
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

PostPosted: May 02, 2008 8:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

how's he going to get his 3rd heisman if he isn't on the team?

food stamps holla!
chavez
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

City: Roseville

PostPosted: May 02, 2008 8:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jt09, judging by his past, he can just steal one from a Heisman winner's house.

You don't need food stamps when you can just counterfeit your own money. Idea

RIP MHL 04/25/1958 - 01/11/2006
jryoung
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

City: Man Jose

PostPosted: Jun 12, 2008 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pretty incredible story about Juan Garcia the center for the Huskies. Talk about a chitty role of the dice for a guy who has done amazing things with some crappy circumstances.

Garcia cautiously optimistic about gridiron return
http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=3439019

SEATTLE -- He'd sold some pot. He'd broken into a few cars. Beaten up a few rival gang members, too. Juan Garcia had had some good times being bad. But it slowly dawned on him that two paths lay ahead. One ended in jail or worse. The other, according to vague whispers, twisted off toward a foggy place called opportunity.

Garcia isn't sure what changed inside him and persuaded him to reject the gang lifestyle before his junior year of high school, then provided the necessary drive for him to become Washington's All-Pac-10 center. He calls it more of a process than an event, much like the rehabilitation he's undergoing in the hopes of returning to the field in 2008 after a severe foot injury put his career in jeopardy.

Juan Garcia has started 25 straight games for Washington.

Nothing in Garcia's life has ever come easy. His comeback will be difficult, but not nearly as arduous as, say, announcing to a roomful of hard cases that he wants out of his hometown Yakima, Wash., gang.

"One day I went over to [a gang member's house] and I said, 'I'm done. I don't want to gangbang. It's not for me no more,'" Garcia said. "They were like, 'You're a little bitch. Yeah, whatever.' And I go, 'Naaah … I'm serious, even if I have to get jumped out, I don't want none of this anymore.' And then an older guy goes, 'Get the [expletive] out of my house.'"

"Jumped out," by the way, is earning a gang discharge by accepting a pummeling.

It's fair to say the distance between that moment and his enrollment at Washington's leafy campus as well as the academic and athletic honors Garcia has collected is considerable.

"It's an incredible story, really," Washington offensive line coach Mike Denbrock said. "If you had a poster boy you'd want to put up about the way a guy can change his life regardless of the circumstance he's been dealt, Juan would be that guy. Coming from the situation he comes from, and that he still deals with, quite frankly."

Garcia's parents are from Mexico. His father has been out of the picture since he was 4. His mother, Maricela Alcala, made ends meet by following the seasons and picking fruit. He was raised speaking Spanish. It's still the first language at home, which Garcia said changed 27 times by the time he turned 18.

Garcia spent most of his teenage years getting into trouble. He briefly dropped out of high school as a sophomore.

"In those neighborhoods, you become your own jail -- it's a vicious cycle," he said. "I look back and I don't know how I ended up getting here. I never dreamt of going to college. All my best friends were gangbangers."

Football, however, offered him a chance to get out, which led to his change of heart with his gang membership. That meant months of harassment. That meant months of laying low and avoiding former hangouts. That meant getting the windows of his car smashed. That meant moving to another area.

It all seemed worth it when Washington offered a scholarship. But remember, nothing comes easy for Garcia.

He was admitted as a partial academic qualifier. Then the NCAA clearinghouse took issue with high school classes he took in Spanish. When he finally was allowed to enroll, he nearly blew his opportunity by getting arrested in Yakima. Caught drinking a beer in a friend's car, he tried to run away from the police -- and flipped to the ground an officer who tried to tackle him.

Garcia wondered whether his dream was blowing up in his face.

"Every time something good would happen, something bad would happen," he said. "And there's always that temptation to go back to [gang life]. That, 'This is who you are.'"

Former Huskies coach Keith Gilbertson announced a zero-tolerance policy and what Garcia termed "dorm arrest."

Garcia started to find his footing socially and academically, but a new form of adversity arrived: injuries. In the spring of 2004, he tore apart his ankle so badly there were questions whether he would play again. He tried to come back the following season, but his ankle wasn't fully healed, and for good measure, he blew out his shoulder.

Still, Garcia didn't buckle. He added 40 pounds to his 6-foot-3 frame and won the starting job in 2006. Word was the nasty streak that a teammate once described as "for-real street scary" now came out only on the field, where Garcia was a powerful 315-pounder who finished his blocks.

Oh, and he won the team's Academic Excellence Award.

Garcia is focused on helping the Huskies in 2008.

When the 2007 season ended, the Huskies' captain had started 25 consecutive games, earned second-team All-Pac-10 honors and made himself into an NFL prospect. His dream of purchasing his mother a permanent house was within reach.

Nonetheless, after the NCAA granted him a sixth year of eligibility -- and administrators decided not to fire coach Tyrone Willingham -- he opted to return. He wants to play in his first bowl game. He also wants to help Willingham retain his job.

"We know that if we don't win, he's probably out," Garcia said. "We have to win because we're sick and tired of losing. That, and we stress it with the younger guys that they don't want to go through a coaching change. That's misery."

Speaking of misery, during a scrimmage this spring, Garcia felt a strange snap in his lower leg that turned out to be a Lisfranc injury in his foot. Surgery would end his chances to play in 2008. He decided to bet against the odds and hope the foot would heal on its own, which would allow him to return by midseason.

Early returns are cautiously optimistic, but a fuller picture won't be available until the end of the month.

"It's still a little iffy, but it's a little better than they thought it would be at this point," he said.

It's just another challenge for a guy who's seen more than his share. Garcia's transformation is about more than football, though. Back in Yakima, his old running buddies don't know much about the Huskies, but they acknowledge who Garcia has become. Guys who previously threatened him now shake his hand with respect.

"Some are dead. Some are in jail. Some are heavy drug users," Garcia said. "And some are regular working guys who stopped gangbanging, but they are like, 'Man, I should have gone to school. That could have been me.'"

jryoung
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

PostPosted: Jul 26, 2008 3:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good lord, will the fricken season start already. Anybody else as ancy as I am? Opening at Oregon is not going to be fun though.
DRAGON88
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

City: Portland, OR

PostPosted: Jul 26, 2008 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wink I lived about a block away from Autzen, it is unreasonably loud. Laughing
jt09
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

PostPosted: Jul 26, 2008 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i've been seeing a lot about that garcia kid. haven't seen him play yet, but i'm looking forward to seeing him this fall.
jryoung
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

PostPosted: Jul 26, 2008 6:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jt09 wrote:
i've been seeing a lot about that garcia kid. haven't seen him play yet, but i'm looking forward to seeing him this fall.

Did you read the article? He is most likely out for the season (possible late return). But, assuming he heals fine (long run) he'll be playing on Sundays, pretty amazing life story.

We're five weeks away though and I'm stoked. Once again we have one of the toughest schedules in the nation. We aren't doing ourselves any favors to try and make it to a bowl game. I'm torn, I want to see these guys succeed, I just don't think Willingham is the guy for us long term, so I'd like to see him go.

jt09
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

PostPosted: Jul 26, 2008 10:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jryoung, uw fans on national boards are more optimistic about his return. like maybe the last 5 or 6 games. still looking forward to seeing him, whenever that is. i like angry ols. dudes like kasey studdard that are just mean and nasty. neanderthals.
Craig-R

PostPosted: Jul 27, 2008 10:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

UUUUUUUUUUUUU dats dat soulja boy
buckthis
Wakeboarder.Commie
Wakeboarder.Commie

City: Orlando

PostPosted: Jul 27, 2008 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

so, who is going to play the buckeyes in the national championship game?
Tbonez
Wakeboarder.com Freak
Wakeboarder.com Freak

City: ATL

PostPosted: Jul 28, 2008 3:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

buckthis wrote:
so, who is going to play the buckeyes in the national championship game?

Someone from the SEC that will beat them again...

Sorry it was low hanging fruit...

Laughing

E.J.
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

City: Mogadishu

PostPosted: Jul 30, 2008 9:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting comments by Pat White.....

http://blogs.usatoday.com/gameon/2008/07/heisman-trophy.html

Heisman Trophy candidate Pat White cites racial element for not playing baseball

During the Big East media day West Virginia quarterback, and Heisman Trophy candidate, Pat White dropped a small bombshell that is still causing ripples.

White, who went in the fourth round of the Major League draft out of high school by the Angels, had not played baseball for the Mountaineers. He thought about playing this season but decided against it because of the lack of African Americans on the team coached by Greg Van Zant.

“In my knowledge of West Virginia baseball, there’s not been many players of my race on his team. (Van Zant's) not too high on it,” White said. “Every player I’ve talked to doesn’t like him. He’s not a well-liked coach, but I guess he has tenure so they never got rid of him. They’re not successful at all.”

Adam Zagoria of Zags Blog was one of the reporters White spoke to and he followed up with a statement from athletic director Ed Pastilong.

“The university is committed to diversity as evidenced by the development of the OneWVU program. Our coaches and staff also are committed to an atmosphere of community for our student-athletes. I look forward to speaking with Pat more about his thoughts.”

This story by the Charleston Gazette says a check of the WVU baseball roster showed no African-Americans on the 2008 team.

Van Zant has won 413 games in 15 seasons and led West Virginia to the NCAA tournament in 1996. The team was 35-21 last year.

Van Zant did not return calls to Zagoria or the Charleston paper.

Football coach Bill Stewart, who took over for Rich Rodriguez, has been granting his players permission to play other sports.

Last year, White threw for 1,724 yards and ran for 1,335 more. The Mountaineers were picked to win the Big East by a media poll.
Wakebrad
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

PostPosted: Jul 30, 2008 9:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That story doesn't make sense to me. Why did he go to WVU when he was already drafted for baseball, but wouldn't want to play at WVU...
E.J.
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

PostPosted: Jul 30, 2008 10:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

He is not playing baseball for WVU.....

He is a Heisman Trophy hopeful as a quarterback for their football team.
Rocko
Old School Freak
Old School Freak

City: Omaha

PostPosted: Jul 30, 2008 10:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Plus he totally fits into their offensive scheme or atleast he did. I guess we'll have to to see if the O changes with the depature of RichRod.
jt09
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

PostPosted: Jul 30, 2008 10:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hopeful is as close as he'll get to the heisman.

ignorant bullshlt by white. there's a HUGE drop in aa participation in baseball at ALL levels. little league, high school, college and the pros. so much of a drop that hbcus are recruiting white ballplayers just to field a team. there have been MANY pieces on espn about it and a large chunk of costas now this month is dedicated to it. for white to call out a coach as racist when it's a MUCH larger issue, and one that isn't put on the shoulders of whites. this one is much more a black issue, culturally.
Wakebrad
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

PostPosted: Jul 30, 2008 10:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
He is not playing baseball for WVU.....

He is a Heisman Trophy hopeful as a quarterback for their football team.

I know. If he wanted to play baseball, why did he go to WVU? If he didn't want to play baseball why did he enter the draft?

jt09
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

PostPosted: Jul 30, 2008 10:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

you enter the draft to get paid. a 4tf round pick isn't getting paid. so he went to college to play football.
E.J.
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

PostPosted: Jul 30, 2008 11:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am not sure players enter the draft in baseball.....? Not sure how it works, but always thought they were just drafted, then if they went to school for 2+ years, were able to be drafted again or something of that nature.....

I assume he went to WVU to play football.....baseball....or playing baseball, was not a major concern.

How can you say White is being ignorant Jt? I will assume that he knows FAR more about the situation than we do.... I will AGAIN assume that he feels strongly enough about it to say something publically... No big deal either way, but to just discount what he says because there has been a dropoff in numbers is a bit shortsighted IMO.
Wakebrad
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

PostPosted: Jul 30, 2008 11:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jt09, I didn't know 4th rounders didn't get paid in baseball. I don't really follow it.
jt09
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

PostPosted: Jul 30, 2008 11:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

E.J. wrote:
I am not sure players enter the draft in baseball.....?

high school players have to put their name into the draft to be considered.

E.J. wrote:
How can you say White is being ignorant Jt?

you clearly don't know anything about the situation at all either then. shortsighted? it's been happening since the early 80's when basketball became the popular sport for young black men to play. you can assume what you want, and take white at his word if you'd like. but the facts are that the black athlete in baseball, and much more so in college baseball, is an anomoly these days. for him to call the coach racist because there aren't any blacks o the team is crazy - there's not a lot of blacks playing in college AT ALL, not just at wvu.

how about we get off this tangent and back to cfb.

pat white sucks and wvu is going to suck this year.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wakeboarder Forum Index -> Non-Wakeboarding All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 45, 46, 47  Next
Page 3 of 47

Add To Favorites

Jump to: