Wakeboarder Forum Index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   StatisticsStats   FavoritesFavorites   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages  Log inLog in 
BlogsBlogs   

2008 College Football
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 45, 46, 47  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sofa King
Soul Rider
Soul Rider

City: Littleton COLORADO!

PostPosted: Feb 07, 2008 8:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

See, you should have stayed at least a week, then you would have been ready for it, and we could have watched Crush step on your head during Earthquake.

You and Earle need to come out, I got the room and the beer.

"You might wanna make your move, coz mine's gonna be ugly" -Brock Samson
Wakebrad
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

City: Dallas

PostPosted: Feb 07, 2008 9:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rocko, that's awesome. So I guess they didn't allow you to practice on any of the gladiator type stuff? Was it all physical tests? I'm not sure I would make it compared to the contestants in pure pull ups and sit ups but I think I'd do pretty well in the Eliminator. I've always like obstacle courses.
Sofa King
Soul Rider
Soul Rider

PostPosted: Feb 07, 2008 9:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am not sure I like the new eliminator, remember when there used to be Gladiators in the eliminator? I feel kind of ripped off now.

Rocko
Old School Freak
Old School Freak

City: Omaha

PostPosted: Feb 07, 2008 9:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wakebrad, I wanted to do some of the obsitcles too. That would have really showcased my skillz. Very Happy All the tested you on was your strength, speep, and agility. I did well above average, but I wasn't too happy with my pull ups. I was only able to do 12. There were some guys doing like 28 pull ups in 30 seconds, WTF?

After all the tests, I then had an interview with a casting director. I had about 3 minutes to "sell myself". I did ok in the interview, she was digging me. They all do, Wink .

All in all, I was just happy with myself for going to try out. I've been telling chicks I made it on the show in attempt to bagging them, j/k. Lol.
jt09
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

City: Austin

PostPosted: Feb 07, 2008 9:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rocko, just to nit-pick..... You were doing chin ups, not pull ups.

chin ups work lats - palms facing away

pull ups work biceps - palms facing you

Basically, if you can see what color your fingernail polish is, you are doing pull ups. Mr. Green

edit because Wakebrad is smarter than I am.

Last edited by jt09 on Feb 07, 2008 11:18 am; edited 1 time in total
Rocko
Old School Freak
Old School Freak

City: Omaha

PostPosted: Feb 07, 2008 10:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jt09, ya know maybe I should have painted my nails. I would've stood out more.
Wakebrad
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

PostPosted: Feb 07, 2008 10:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've never been good at chin-ups. I have always been able to do at least 20 pull ups.

jt09, I think you have the fingernail polish thing backwards. Pull ups would put your nails facing you, not the other way around.

Sofa King
Soul Rider
Soul Rider

PostPosted: Feb 08, 2008 5:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your answers should have all been " Not now Chief, I'm in the fuggin zone".

jt09
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

PostPosted: Feb 08, 2008 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ouch aggy! that's not good.

Quote:
Pro football: Cowboys hire Herring as new LB coach

Web Posted: 02/08/2008 10:07 PM CST

Brent Zwerneman
San Antonio Express-News

COLLEGE STATION — The Reggie Herring era at Texas A&M apparently will be a forgetful one, indeed.

Herring, A&M’s defensive coordinator for about a month, has accepted an offer to become the Dallas Cowboys’ new linebackers coach, according to a source with the Cowboys.

A source with A&M said Herring interviewed with the Cowboys on Friday. Another A&M official said he could not comment on the matter late Friday night.

Herring served as Arkansas’ defensive coordinator the past three seasons, and was the Razorbacks’ interim head coach in their Cotton Bowl loss to Missouri.

Herring gave no indication of the move on Thursday night, when he spoke passionately to a group of Aggies in Houston about the priority of restoring the “Wrecking Crew” defense to A&M.

Apparently that restoration will take place under someone else’s watch.

They had just decided to go back to the 3-4 too. Good news for my Cowboys I hope. I'll be REAL happy if he turns out to be REAL good - better to help the Cowboys D than anm.
ohsix
PityDaFool Who Posts This Much
PityDaFool Who Posts This Much

PostPosted: Feb 08, 2008 8:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And we were just trying to steal the 'boys LB coach when we got _arnell. Funny how things change.
jt09
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

PostPosted: Feb 10, 2008 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ahhh....Today was a good day!

Texas had it's first Junior Day today and locked up 6 of the top 31 prospects in the state, including the #1 ranked prospect at QB, RB, WR and DB. Not a bad first weekend.

Garrett Gilbert, QB, 6' 3" 185, Lake Travis nat #2 QB prospect, #12 overall, TX #1/#2

Chris Whaley, RB, 6' 3" 220, Madisonville nat #8 RB prospect, #65 oa, TX #1/#8

Greg Timmons, WR, 6'3 195, Aldine nat #14 WR prospect, #69 oa, TX #1/#10

Marcus Davis, DB, 6' 1" 185, League City, TX #1/#15

Garrett Porter, OL, 6' 6" 308, Odessa, TX # 5/#30

Paden Kelley, OL, 6'6" 285, Lake Travis, TX #6/31

There's a good chance Texas gets commitments from several more top players next Sunday at the second Junior Day (maybe in two weeks - I can't remember).

Russell Shepard, ATH/QB, 6' 2" 183, nat #1 ATH prospect, #4 oa, TX #1/#3

Jamarcus McFarland, DT, 6' 3" 280, nat #1 DT prospect, #2 oa, TX #1/#1

Alex Okafor, DE, 6' 4" 216, Pflugerville, TX #1/#17
Sofa King
Soul Rider
Soul Rider

PostPosted: Feb 11, 2008 6:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A reality check!
Just because your team has the ponies, doesn't promise success.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/chi-04-nebraskafeb04,0,3348068.story

Wakebrad
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

PostPosted: Feb 11, 2008 7:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jt09, yeah, it sucks, although I was never that happy with the Herring hire in the first place. Herring has been a 4-3 guy for a long time. I'm not sure what made them plan for the 3-4 when we definitely don't have the personnel to run it, at least any time soon.

Texas is deep this year in prospects. I'm not worried about getting ours. texas did get some great guys this past weekend.

jt09
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

PostPosted: Feb 11, 2008 7:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sofa King, that's a great way to slant facts to fit your story (the writer, not you). The reason that Neb was ranked so highly that year isn't because of their big name talent, but because they signed 30 players. In terms of average stars, they ranked 13th w/ 3.33 (Rivals). As a comparison, Texas only signed 15 players that year, but had an average of 3.60. They also had quite a few big name guys transfer, like Harrison Beck.

People act like recruiting the big names doesn't matter, but the correlation between teams that finish in the top 10 in recruiting every year and the teams that finish top 10 on the field every year is undeniable - talent wins games.
jt09
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

PostPosted: Feb 11, 2008 7:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wakebrad, Don't know a whole heck of a lot at all about Herring, but I sure hope he knows enough about the 3-4 to make it work in Dallas. Any word on who you guys might have in mind to replace him?

I know we'll have a big battle for Jamacus McFarland, the #1 DT in the nation out of Lufkin. Lufkin is as aggy as it gets, but it's tough to sell the #1 DT in the nation on eating double teams so the LBs can rack up all the numbers, especially in the 2nd year of the system. Maybe if it was back in the late 80s, early 90s when the Wrecking crew was dominating, but now? If we land Shepard, I think we land McFarland and this class is the next coming of the 02 UT class where all the big names wanted to jump on board. Damn I hope so!
Wakebrad
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

PostPosted: Feb 11, 2008 7:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jt09, I don't know a ton about him either. Just that he ran the 4-3 at Ark. I'm wondering if JJ gave him some under the table promise at the DC when he makes the switch to Garrett. I can't see him taking less money to be a position coach unless he just hated recruiting that much.

With a lot of NFL teams running the 3-4 you'd think they would look favorably at a DT with 3-4 experience. But if it's all about numbers to scouts then playing DT in a 3-4 wouldn't look too favorably.

It sounds like we're going after Shepard and McFarland pretty hard. I finally bit the bullet and subscribed to Liucci's service for the month surrounding signing day. Not sure if I'll keep it or not.

The only names I hear for DC are Johnny Holland, Greg Mattison, or Bob Davie. Either way it can't be any worse than what we've put on the field for the last 4 years.

jt09
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

PostPosted: Feb 11, 2008 8:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No way in hell you get Shepard. If Pryor signs w/ Michigan, that kid is as good as ours. If not, he's a Wolverine.

Bob Davie is a HELL of a DC. I know people think he sucks because of ND, but I really like that guy. Johnny Holland would be a big hit due to the whole alumni thing too.
Wakebrad
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

PostPosted: Feb 11, 2008 8:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jt09, he's coming in next weekend for his first visit. The new staff is late to the game obviously but we haven't taken our shot yet.
jt09
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

PostPosted: Feb 11, 2008 9:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wakebrad, we'll see! Kid's been a Longhorn fan for a long time.

His quote from this weekend:

Shepard gets offer, won’t commit yet
By Alan Trubow | Sunday, February 10, 2008, 07:41 PM

Cypress Ridge quarterback Russell Shepard, the No. 3 recruit in the state for 2009 and a five-star athlete, said he did get an offer from the Longhorns on Sunday. But the 6-foot-2 athlete who runs a legitimate 4.4 second 40-yard dash didn’t commit.

The Longhorns already have a quarterback commit in five-star signal caller Garrett Gilbert, who led Lake Travis to the Class 4A Division I state championship. Gilbert’s commit changed things for Shepard

“Coach (Mack) Brown said Russell, ‘We really love you and we want to go to school here, but it’s a weird situation with all the quarterbacks,’” Shepard said. “He let me know it’s kind of weird bringing in two highly rated quarterbacks.”

Shepard told Brown that all he wanted was a chance compete for the job. Nothing more.

“I said that really all I wanted was a shot,” he said. “Honestly, if I get a shot at quarterback and I don’t win the job, I’ll move to another position. I have no problem being an All-American wide receiver or an All-American defensive back. I just want a chance to play quarterback.”

Shepard said the situation at Texas opens up his recruitment for other suitors.

“I would say Texas is still up there, but Michigan is really at the top of my list, especially if they don’t get (2008 top recruit) Terrelle Pryor,” he said. “I feel like I could go there and play right away. I’m also looking at Florida and LSU. Both of those schools have pretty good depth-chart situations for me.”

Shepard added that the Longhorns weren’t out of the race and he might be returning to Austin for the Feb. 23 Junior Days. Shepard added that he was in the same situation as John Chiles, and the Longhorns are allowing Chiles to play quarterback.

“Actually, I’m different than John because I’m willing to play another position,” he said. “All I want is a shot, a real shot.”
jt09
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

PostPosted: Feb 11, 2008 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Texas picking up another verbal tonight. Big one - this kid was apparently 50/50 TX/OU. Always good when you get a good one that was going to your big rival.

Thomas Ashcraft, OL, 6' 5" 280, Cedar Hill nat #4 OL prospect, #59 oa, TX #2/#13
Wakebrad
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

PostPosted: Feb 13, 2008 12:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like Joe Kines will be the new DC. At least he's shown he can stop the tech offense.

http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/stories/MYSA021308.AggiesCoordinator.en.bb3a4923.html

jt09
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

PostPosted: Feb 13, 2008 12:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wakebrad, good hire for y'all.
Wakebrad
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

PostPosted: Feb 13, 2008 12:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jt09, you think so? I was a little disappointed at first but it sounds like 'bama fans think a lot of Kines and that's always a good sign.

It can't get any worse than it has been the last 4 years though!

jt09
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

PostPosted: Feb 13, 2008 12:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I like the guy a lot. His defenses at Bama weren't very talented, but they played HARD. He's put some pretty good players into the NFL - DeMeco Ryans to start w/.

The only drawback I see is that your coaching staff seems to be pretty old across the board.
Wakebrad
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

PostPosted: Feb 13, 2008 12:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jt09, you're right. We have some youth in the position coaches but still a lot of seniors.

At this point I just hope we can put a good product on the field and rejuvenate the talent. Then when it comes to replacing some of these old guys we will have an appealing situation and a place where coaches can succeed immediately.

I just checked out some numbers from Texags and it looks like Kines put up some damn good defenses with some poor talent (bama's talant level must have been piss poor after sanctions and Fran bailing).

I was real high on Muschamp but it looks like he's put up similar numbers to Kines when they played in the SEC for the same years (2004 bama & LSU and 2006 bama & Aub). That excludes Kines best year: 2005.

2006:

Muschamp with SOS (59):

Rush Defense 124.15 ypg (45th nationally)
Pass Defense 168.15 ypg (14)
Pass Eff. Def. 115.52 (33)
Total Defense 292.31 (19)
Scoring Defense 13.92 (7)
Turnover Margin .38 per game (34)
Sacks 2.23 per game (50)
TFL's 6.31 per game (40)

Kines with SOS (34):

Rush Defense 124.62 ypg (46)
Pass Defense 173.08 ypg (19)
Pass Eff. Def. 117.99 (3Cool
Total Defense 297.69 (23)
Scoring Defense 19.23 (31)
Turnover Margin .54 per game (25)
Sacks 1.00 per game (115)
TFL's 4.23 (108)

2004:

Muschamp with SOS (65):

Rush Defense 99.75 ypg (7)
Pass Defense 157.17 (5)
Pass Eff. Def. 103.02 (10)
Total Defense 256.92 (3)
Scoring Defense 17.08 (14)
Turnover Margin -.17 per game (73)

Kines with SOS (71):

Rush Defense 132.42 (37)
Pass Defense 113.08 (1)
Pass Eff. Def. 92.86 (2)
Total Defense 245.50 (2)
Scoring Defense 15.75 (7)
Turnover Margin .5 per game (25)

Wakebrad
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

PostPosted: Feb 18, 2008 11:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

From the rivals premium board (no I don't have a subscription) on Russell Shepard after his visit this weekend.

Quote:
"Out of all the schools that are recruiting me, their resumes speak for themselves," said Shepard of Aggie head coach Mike Sherman and quarterback coach Tom Rossley. "Coach Rossley has coached Brett Favre, Matt Hasselback, Aaron Brooks and he even coached Warren Moon.

"Me and him, we were just talking and he was breaking down coverages and all that. He knew what he was talking about. Then coach Sherman, he's just a real, real humble dude."

While Shepard was impressed with the pedigree of the Aggie coaches, the fact that they are recruiting him as a quarterback meant even more to the five-star prospect.

"They told me right off the bat, 'Russell, we want you to play quarterback,'" he said. "They said, 'You can come in here and compete for the starting job as a true freshman.' Coach Rossley said, 'You have the fastest and quickest release in the state that I've seen this year. You know what to do and we want you to play quarterback.'

"The things that they had to say and the things that they presented to me were so impressive. These are pro coaches. They know what it takes to get to the next level and they have more experience than any other staff that is recruiting me."

This is 3rd hand information but supposedly A&M is his new #1.

jt09
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

PostPosted: Feb 18, 2008 11:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, he's definitely liking what Sherman is selling. I think (hope) he figures out where he has the best chance at making the NFL and signs w/ UT as an athlete. Kid throws less than 10 passes a game and only completes 45%. If that's where you guys are going to put all of your faith at QB the next couple of years, I'm cool w/ that. Incredible runner though - just amazing in the open field.
Wakebrad
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

PostPosted: Feb 18, 2008 12:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whether going to texas as an athlete is the best chance for him to make it in the NFL is debatable.

We're not promising him the starting job but if he can beat out Dorman and or Johnson then more power to him. I think we're just giving him more of a shot than the other guys. We'll see if LSU tries to sell him the same thing next weekend.

Obviously Sherman and Rossley see something they like. With their history and integrity I doubt they're doing a bate and switch job. I don't have enough knowledge of his highschool situation to get a full impression. You never know what highschool coaches will do to win. He obviously runs more often than he throws but I trust our coaches QB evaluation a lot better than mine or yours (or even Mack). If there's anything our staff should know it's QB and O-line.

jt09
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

PostPosted: Feb 18, 2008 12:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wakebrad, he's not going into the NFL as a QB, that's for damn sure. He's also got a hell of a lot better chance to go into the NFL as WR or DB at TX than at aTm, given recent history. I don't think there's any debating the 2nd one.

I don't think Sherman's necessarily pulling a bait and switch, just telling him what he wants to hear.

I'll bet $100 Miles offers him as a QB. No question about it.
Wakebrad
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

PostPosted: Feb 18, 2008 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jt09, recent history is not necessarily a good indicator since we had Fran mucking things up. Running an NFL system should completely change the way our talent is received in the NFL. This is a whole new era for us, Hopefully it fairs better than the previous one.

It sounds like Mack is doing the right thing in telling him directly that he'll be an athlete. But you guys are already loaded at QB so you have no reason to think he could compete for the position. We are still a little up in the air. If McGee keeps the starting position for us next year, in '09 we are wide open.

jt09
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

PostPosted: Feb 18, 2008 1:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't see anyone taking McGee's place. That kid's a good QB, Fran's just f*ed his world up the last couple of years.

My gauge on Sherman will be McGee this year. He certainly doesn't have a ton of help at the skill positions, but you should be able to see his talent come through if the coaching staff is as good as advertised.

Agree that Mack is doing the right thing by being 100% honest, I just hope it doesn't bite him in the ass.
Wakebrad
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

PostPosted: Feb 18, 2008 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just wonder if the 3 previous years can't be undone in a few months (especially since he's having shoulder surgery and will miss most of spring practice).

The 2 things I am looking at Sherman next year is QB and O-line, and how the improve through the year. We will be starting a lot of youth and their ability to get better is key. I don't expect them to start out as world beaters at the beginning of the year with their lack of experience. They should be comparable to OU and texas by the time we play them next year.

JV
Wakeboarder.com Freak
Wakeboarder.com Freak

City: San Diego

PostPosted: Feb 18, 2008 2:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hope McGee starts even if there is someone clearly more skilled available. With the amount of blood, sweat, and tears he's put into A&M football--with little to show for it--and the criticism he continually receives, it would be a shame to watch him spend the last year he'll ever wear shoulder pads on the bench.
jt09
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

PostPosted: Feb 18, 2008 2:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JV wrote:
I hope McGee starts even if there is someone clearly more skilled available. With the amount of blood, sweat, and tears he's put into A&M football--with little to show for it--and the criticism he continually receives, it would be a shame to watch him spend the last year he'll ever wear shoulder pads on the bench.

That's a horrible way to win games. Just take a look at the UT defense last year. Mack took the EXACT same path and played his SR LBs instead of letting the better, younger guys play.

I understand where you are coming from, but it's no way to run a team.
JV
Wakeboarder.com Freak
Wakeboarder.com Freak

City: San Diego

PostPosted: Feb 18, 2008 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jt09, yeah, I know. The reason why USC is always good is the best player plays, no exceptions. But the QB is a completely different animal. Playing Johnson might produce better stats, but I don't know if benching the unquestioned team leader would be beneficial. From a football standpoint, I could understand sitting him, but on a selfish level I hope he goes out as near the top as A&M can get this year (so not far).

Tellus is gone, Lane is a crying, undisciplined bitch, I can't name a single WR other than Franks, Tupe and Dodge are gone...I need someone to root for.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wakeboarder Forum Index -> Non-Wakeboarding All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 45, 46, 47  Next
Page 2 of 47

Add To Favorites

Jump to: