Wakeboarder Forum Index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   StatisticsStats   FavoritesFavorites   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages  Log inLog in 
BlogsBlogs   

pilots?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
TYLER**
Outlaw
Outlaw

City: Baton Rouge LA

PostPosted: Oct 28, 2008 7:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks

holdsworth, c-130s have props Very Happy
holdsworth
PityDaFool Who Posts This Much

City: Knoxville

PostPosted: Oct 29, 2008 6:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TYLER**, but they aren't maneuverable enough. Laughing
senorbueno
Addict
Addict

PostPosted: Oct 29, 2008 7:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

holdsworth wrote:
TYLER**, but they aren't maneuverable enough. Laughing

You want maneuverability?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GW2Hvu_mUdU&feature=related

Congrats TYLER about your score
holdsworth

PostPosted: Oct 29, 2008 7:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

senorbueno, ok, you got me there. I like the small planes, like Extra 300, Zivko Edge 540, MXS, Pitts, Christian Eagle, Vans RV's...stuff like that.
TYLER**
Outlaw
Outlaw

PostPosted: Oct 29, 2008 10:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

holdsworth, i would kill for an mxs or extra300sr.

i have seriously considered building a Starduster Too as well. my dad had one and i would love to have one to play around in. open cockpit biplane with one or two seats, what more could u ask for.
holdsworth

PostPosted: Oct 29, 2008 6:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TYLER**, the Extra 300 doesn't appeal to me as much anymore. I still love the plane but comparing to the MXS or Edge, it doesn't compete too well anymore.

I'm trying to convince my dad to let me keep my 150 for a while (til I get my private) and sell it and use that money for an RV-3. Smile Probably won't happen, but it would be cool to have a single-seat aerobatic plane to play around with here in FL!
ontrider
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

City: Russia

PostPosted: Oct 29, 2008 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What is that show I saw on TSN last night where the planes weave in and out of the gates over water and then through the middle? Craaaazy. Shocked
jt09
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

City: Austin

PostPosted: Oct 29, 2008 7:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ontrider, are you being cereal? red bull air races? first time you've seen that? SUPER COOL EVENT!

http://www.redbullairrace.com/
ontrider
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

City: Russia

PostPosted: Oct 29, 2008 7:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Am I being "cereal"?

Yeah, that's what I'm talking about... it was on at the bar the other night and I've never seen it before. I guess they don't play it here much? I don't watch a ton of TV, but I'd never seen it.
holdsworth

PostPosted: Oct 29, 2008 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They play RBAR now and then on FSN. If it's anywhere near you or within distance of flying there, even, I definitely recommend watching those races in person. Very cool to watch.
ohsix

PostPosted: Oct 29, 2008 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The RBAR are cool to see once (on TV anyway) if you're not a pilot, but after that it's not very exciting. Now, if the planes actually raced each other instead of the clock, that would be exciting to watch.
holdsworth

PostPosted: Oct 29, 2008 7:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ohsix, then the Reno Air Races are good for what you're looking for. Wink
TYLER**
Outlaw
Outlaw

PostPosted: Oct 30, 2008 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

holdsworth, my dad raced T-6s in Reno, ive got some frickin awesome pics somewhere around here.

and my choice on the extra is the new sr, supposedly some of the RBAR guys sent some back because they were TOO responsive. that being said my priorities would without a doubt be MXS, Edge, Extra
holdsworth

PostPosted: Oct 30, 2008 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TYLER**, I haven't researched much on the 300SR, I didn't realize they sent them back due to that reason. What did they change on it to make it that responsive?

When it comes to the MXS, that thing is just awesome. I talked to the guy who designed it a couple years ago at Sun 'N' Fun and he was a very cool guy. I looked through the portfolio and talked to him about the process and it was very interesting to listen to him. +/- 14 G's?!?!? Ridiculous.
ridininmd
Wakeboarder.Commie
Wakeboarder.Commie

PostPosted: Oct 30, 2008 9:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

knocked out my long IFR x/c today, should be taking my written Monday and checkride by the end of next week...hopefully, I'm not banking on it though, my private dragged out for months at the end.

The long x/c was pretty easy, I used auto pilot for most of it. Only rough part was the girl that was giving me my clearance after the first leg. She sounded like she had rocks in her mouth, I couldn't understand a word she said. I must have made her read my clearance 4 times before I got it all. I looked at my instructor half way through her first shot at it, (I'd stopped even trying to copy by then) and he just shook his head and said I have no idea what she's saying either.
TYLER**
Outlaw
Outlaw

PostPosted: Oct 31, 2008 4:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

holdsworth, first time i saw a video of the mxs i was hooked.

Im not sure what exactly the did the the SR, on the Rotterdam RBAR they talked about it and that's what they said. I think it had something to do with a new high lift wing or something?
holdsworth

PostPosted: Nov 03, 2008 5:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My dad sent me this video of EAA AirVenture AKA Oshkosh. Hope you enjoy.

http://link.brightcove.com/services/link/bcpid1412255721/bctid1381694270
BR_WB
Wakeboarder.com Freak
Wakeboarder.com Freak

PostPosted: Nov 03, 2008 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dad sold the plane today Crying or Very sad

At least we made a $1000 on it for having it for 5 years. Me and Ryan got all of our ratings in it. I'm going to miss flying it around and not having a worry. Got to fly it the other day which was nice considering it was the last time.
TYLER**
Outlaw
Outlaw

PostPosted: Nov 03, 2008 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

holdsworth, awesome, i plan on going next year

another movie i just found out about that i will without a doubt buy is speed and angels

check out www.speedandangels.com
holdsworth

PostPosted: Nov 03, 2008 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TYLER**, we go to Norris Lake every summer for vacation for a week and a half everytime, and that is from the beginning-mid July. After that, we don't have time for another vacation to Wisconsin, so I've never been to Oshkosh. I am wanting to go there sometime in the near future, and if I can get my license and enough hours with cross-country, I might actually fly up myself and park the 150 there and camp out. I was watching that video planning my entire trip for next year already. Laughing

We do go to Sun 'N' Fun every few years and with me living in Florida now, I'm sure to go down every year and my dad will fly his 182 down, for sure. His friends that live on the airport that I base my 150 out of go to Lakeland every year, so I get to meet up with them also.

Brad R, sorry to hear of your loss. Sad Are you looking to buy into another plane with a partner or two?
ridininmd
Wakeboarder.Commie
Wakeboarder.Commie

PostPosted: Nov 28, 2008 9:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I passed my instrument check ride last Thursday and then drove straight to Daytona. I'm starting in on my comm multi down here next week.
I'll be flying a twin star down here
holdsworth

PostPosted: Nov 28, 2008 10:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ridininmd, you're not flying a Riddle DA-42, are you?

OH! News on RBAR...four new rookie pilots have entered the field, including Asia and Japans first. The big news, however, is the young rookie from Canada, Pete McLeod. He is only 24!!!!! Should be an interesting season. He seems capable, but I'm sure people are skeptical about it because of his lack of hours compared to the other guys. Should be an interesting season, for sure.

And on a good note, I got to fly my 150 again yesterday twice and once today with my instructor. Definitely quite nice to finally go flying!!! I had to fly right seat yesterday with my dad since my solo endorsement ran out earlier this month. I actually landed the plane by myself from the right seat and it was one of my best. Even the old man said "not bad." Very Happy
TYLER**
Outlaw
Outlaw

PostPosted: Nov 28, 2008 10:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

holdsworth, i got thrown into a right seat flight one time too. some guys wanted to take pictures of tiger stadium so i told them id take them up, just the way cameras work its a lot easier to look to your left than your right when sitting down in a tight space. just after preflight i start to get in and they were like uhh can we sit there? i had already promised to take them up and did a little right seat flying while flying pipeline with another guy so i agreed. we went and flew and it just takes a bit to get used to. anyway coming back i set up for a long final and now im gettin pushed from the centerline to the edge of the runway. awesome. big xwind component. anyway i set up far enough out to where i could find that cross controlled sweet spot and put it down well enough that when i said damn that was a fun one the guy in the left seat said theyre not all like that? like he couldnt tell how hard i was working and sweating the whole way down haha.
holdsworth

PostPosted: Nov 28, 2008 11:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TYLER**, I had to work with crosswinds today at a different airport than normal. My dad's 182 has a bad cylinder and the grass field I'm based out of is getting soft, so we moved the 150 to his hangar at the other airport. The crosswinds there are notorious for changing the whole way on final approach, so it made it interesting for me. I've worked with crosswinds with no problem, but that was pretty tough. Laughing Especially not flying for three months.
ridininmd
Wakeboarder.Commie
Wakeboarder.Commie

PostPosted: Nov 28, 2008 1:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

holdsworth, Nah I'm right across the airport at PEA. Hopefully I'll start flying Monday or Tuesday, I haven't been up since my checkride last week.
TYLER**
Outlaw
Outlaw

PostPosted: Nov 28, 2008 4:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

holdsworth, yeah my home airport has one runway with trees on both sides kindda close. and on both ends there's a canal that runs perpendicular maybe a thousand feet off the end. winds always pick up in that canal and they have no where to go but directly perpendicular to the runway. that makes for some interesting approaches sometimes as well as when there's a stiff wind out of the west over the trees, you come in feeling the wind but then get below the tree line and it cuts off the wind significantly and you find yourself wwaayyy over correcting
holdsworth

PostPosted: Nov 28, 2008 10:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ridininmd, nice! We should meet up sometime, maybe go ride at Odub before I leave for Christmas break.

TYLER**, that doesn't sound very fun at all. Ours just has trees that block the wind and screw with you when you get lower. The runway direction isn't that great either and when there is wind, it's often variable. 32/14 and the winds are rarely direct down the runway.
ridininmd
Wakeboarder.Commie
Wakeboarder.Commie

PostPosted: Nov 29, 2008 7:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

holdsworth, for sure, I busted my knee up a few weeks ago on a r2r to faceplant but I'm probably about ready to start riding again. Oh and forget OWC, I've got a 210 we can use right outside of Orlando Laughing
holdsworth

PostPosted: Nov 29, 2008 10:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ridininmd, perferct! I haven't ridden boat since August and that would be sick! Just need to get a new board first Laughing . Mine's broke at the moment.
ridininmd
Wakeboarder.Commie
Wakeboarder.Commie

PostPosted: Nov 30, 2008 2:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We should be going out the weekend of the 12th. I've got a my b-side and a old state that's just laying around if you want to ride one of them. I'll let you know once I know for sure when we're going out next.
holdsworth

PostPosted: Dec 01, 2008 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ridininmd, that would be awesome! Definitely let me know.

I'm proud to say that I finally got to fly this weekend. I went up a total of 6 times in 3 days, would've been more but the weather wasn't great up north on Sunday. The first day I went twice with my dad (late morning and then again before dawn) and the second time up I stole the controls from him on takeoff and never gave them back. I can very proudly say that I landed the 'lil 150 100% myself from the right seat and even the old man said "not bad" Very Happy . The other times were with my instructor and also one solo for about 45 minutes just to play around for a bit. Will work on cross countries and whatever else over Christmas break, so I'm looking forward to that. Might even get my written out of the way over break as well.
TYLER**
Outlaw
Outlaw

PostPosted: Dec 01, 2008 7:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i started my training last year on Dec 5. so this friday on the 5th im starting my instrument for real. i have a few flights already but theyve been too few and far between to expect much out of them. ideally ill work hard enough to finish my instrument quicker than i did my private (very wishful thinking haha). but anyway if any of you live near houston ill be taking a plane there sunday for my first solo skydive. if any of you can and want to try to make it out to skydive spaceland.
ridininmd
Wakeboarder.Commie
Wakeboarder.Commie

PostPosted: Dec 01, 2008 10:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

holdsworth, yeah I'll let you know, we're trying to get the mud truck finished up right now. But once we're done with that we should be getting back to riding.

TYLER**, good luck on the instrument rating, be prepared to be bored out of your mind.
holdsworth

PostPosted: Dec 02, 2008 11:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm needing the help of some of you...for my aviation history class we have to write a paper on something dealing with US aviation that we haven't talked about. We've talked about a ton, but I can't name them all. Could you guys just toss up some topics (preferrably toward the not-well-known end of the chain) that I could write about? I'm having trouble coming up with stuff I'm interested in when it comes to aviation...
BR_WB
Wakeboarder.com Freak
Wakeboarder.com Freak

PostPosted: Dec 02, 2008 11:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

holdsworth,

I was just browsing some aviation forums and stumbled upon this article. I don't know how I missed it in AOPA. I'm not sure if this is along the lines you are looking for, but it is very inspiring.

http://www.aopa.org/feature/loganflood/index.html

Also my Dad's best friend, Jim Tucker, was one of the pilots that was involved in the FedEx hijacking in '94. There's a book about the incident called "Hijacked."
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wakeboarder Forum Index -> Non-Wakeboarding All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 7 of 10

Add To Favorites

Jump to: