Wakeboarder Forum Index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   StatisticsStats   FavoritesFavorites   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages  Log inLog in 
BlogsBlogs   

Steamboat or Vail

View previous topic :: View next topic  
pet575
Wakeboarder.com Freak
Wakeboarder.com Freak

City: Kansas City, MO

PostPosted: Dec 18, 2007 9:45 am    Post subject: Steamboat or Vail Reply with quote

First snowboard trip for me. I've skied Vail several times and it is my favorite. Due to time constraints, I'd prefer to go to Vail because it is closer to Denver-where I'd be flying in to and then driving from.

Is Steamboat worth the extra distance in the car? Which one would you go to?

Wazzy
Addict
Addict

City: Illinois

PostPosted: Dec 18, 2007 10:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

YES!! Espically if you are going to ride Christmas tree bowl & Mavricks (1/2 pipe).......

Vail is SSOOOO over priced...plus why not try some place new....
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
pet575
Wakeboarder.com Freak
Wakeboarder.com Freak

PostPosted: Dec 18, 2007 12:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good points. From my research, the price is about the same-nearly identical for a lift ticket and rental. It would be my first time boarding, I've skied for several years, so I don't know how quickly I will advance. Part of my leaning toward Vail as well-I'll know which runs I can handle before I choose to go down them.
stompin7s
Soul Rider
Soul Rider

City: venice/ tallahassee

PostPosted: Dec 18, 2007 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vail.

way more terrain

Jim M
Wakeboarder.com Freak
Wakeboarder.com Freak

PostPosted: Dec 18, 2007 8:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How many riding days and how big of a group? If its a longer trip or a group of 6+, I would go with one of the larger mountains closer to Summit Co, like Vail or Beaver Creek.

If its a short trip or small group, I would say check into Steamboat and just see how much more difficult the logistics would be. Definitely less lifts/terrain than Vail, but a lot less mountain traffic too. There is a big section of blue groomers that are perfect for dialing in your snowboard edges. The christmas tree bowls are pretty nuts if you aren't used to powder on a snowboard. Vail has a lot more wide open bowls but again you better be conditioned to carve through powder. Another benefit of Steamboat are some killer hot springs a short distance away- it makes for a fun evening.

I learned to snowboard at Vail about 8 years ago and got absolutely worked, so I can't speak from much riding experience there. The bars were fun though! Steamboat hardly had a nightlife, Vail's was kicking.

What about Park City/Canyons? If you are taking a group of snowboarders, novice or expert, I don't think anywhere can top The Canyons. Very accessible to the SLC airport, less $$ than Colorado, and just a kickass mountain. They have a bunch of natural terrain pipes that are a snowboarders wet dream. It's the one place I wouldn't mind going year after year.

Well there are my random thoughts on the subject. Any more details/preferences?
pet575
Wakeboarder.com Freak
Wakeboarder.com Freak

PostPosted: Dec 19, 2007 6:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Jim. The group we have is 4-9 guys (4 for sure, still waiting for the other guys to make up their minds) who are all experienced skiers. We have a couple people who feel pretty strongly about going to Vail based on our affection for it from skiing it so many times, and another who wants to try Steamboat. Nobody is objecting to Steamboat because we've all heard the snow is better and it is less crowded. It is just the extra hour and a half drive and unfamiliarity with the area/mountain that is holding us back.

We'll be skiing only 4 days. Most of us are married and/or attached, so we don't care all that much about the nightlife or activities off of the mountain. It is pretty much a guy's trip- hanging out, drinking, smoking stogies and playing poker, etc. when we're not on the mountain.

Many of us are seasoned skiers who want to snowboard for the first time. 2 of us have boarded before, but it was long ago. Not sure terrain and halfpipes, etc. will be something everyone is looking to take on by the 3rd or 4th day. I'll be taking them on, but I can't speak for the rest of the guys. That being said, I'd be fine with a place full of nice, long, blues that get a lot of attention from the groomers (like Vail).

marcg
Addict
Addict

City: Salt Lake City

PostPosted: Dec 19, 2007 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I normally do Utah or Tahoe...but we decided to do Colorado/Summit county last year.
I don't know, something about Vail put me off....maybe the no option $19 parking garage just got things off on the wrong foot Smile
We only went up there 1 day...the famous "back bowls" were pretty chopped up to tell you the truth...granted I am sure a powder day on the back is incredible....frontside was ok I guess...I was suprized at the number of traverses/flat area though to get across the mountain, nothing seemed to flow into the next lift transition without long traverses....probably we just picked crappy lines all day though since we didn't know the mountain.

We are heading to Steamboat this year.
Spending 1 day out in the Snowcats operation there and probably 4 or 5 at the resort.

http://www.steamboatpowdercats.com/
pet575
Wakeboarder.com Freak
Wakeboarder.com Freak

PostPosted: Dec 20, 2007 6:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is how I spent my first day at Vail as well-I didn't think it was all that great. Then I learned where to go. I'm trying to avoid just that at Steamboat. Snowcats sounds like it would be REALLY sweet.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wakeboarder Forum Index -> Snowboarding All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Add To Favorites

Jump to: