Wakeboarder Forum Index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   StatisticsStats   FavoritesFavorites   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages  Log inLog in 
BlogsBlogs   

'86 Supra Comp "Limited Edition"
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
critterCQB
Criminal
Criminal

City: Neptune Beach

PostPosted: Dec 11, 2007 3:58 pm    Post subject: '86 Supra Comp "Limited Edition" Reply with quote

1986 Supra Comp ts6m "Limited Edition". From what I was told, it's a Lt. Ed. cuz it has a 350 LT1, the color scheme, and a fancy tape deck! Laughing

bigkitch
Outlaw
Outlaw

City: Oakville

PostPosted: Dec 12, 2007 6:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

maybe....

im pretty sure they all came with 351 windsor's..but i could be wrong!
nice lookin comp man. any plans?
critterCQB
Criminal
Criminal

PostPosted: Dec 12, 2007 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bigkitch wrote:
maybe....

im pretty sure they all came with 351 windsor's..but i could be wrong!
nice lookin comp man. any plans?

no no, it most definately has a 350 small block in it. It's the only comp I've EVER seen with a chevy in it, but that's what the dealer said was part of the "Limited Edition". We bored out the carb, threw on a double pumper, and a 4 bladed OJ. I worked at a marina, parts were cheap. Wink I'll have more pictures this spring when I haul it down here.

Really right now, all I want is a skylon. I have some friends at work that I'm gonna be taking out. We'll need the back seat. Plus the benefits of a skylon. I'm really looking at the "bigairpylons", they look like the best bang for the buck. Can't be drilling into the old man's boat for a tower.

Any input for this newb would be greatly appreciated!

Outlaw
Outlaw

PostPosted: Dec 17, 2007 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yah man...thing looks awesome!!

what car did you throw on? im on my way to putting on a demon marine...let me know which one you threw on....i hate vaccum secondaries..useless performance wise...a friend has a full mechanical edelrock 650 cfm, on a 85 jsut like mine and the oat hallls out of the hole...almost rips my arms out of the sockets on slalom
critterCQB
Criminal
Criminal

PostPosted: Dec 18, 2007 6:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We just bored out the 4 Barrel Holley that was on it. It would out run the fuel pump, so then we had to put on the double pumper. Then we put on the 4 bladed OJ, and now it's got one of the most agressive hole shots I've ever felt. Top speed is only like 42 mph now, but out of the water is crazy. It's ripped me out of my ski once or twice.
Outlaw
Outlaw

PostPosted: Dec 19, 2007 12:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

awesome dude

i am in the midst of figuring out why the hole shot on mine is garage...

timing on the ford motors is around 10-12* and to get ours to run right i have the thing set at like 16*... i know that the timing gears on the marine applications had a cheap teeth..made of a plastic composite or somethin and they can break off and casue timing chain to slip...so im thinkin new timing set might be in order...

are you still running mechanical fuel system? the dummywho had ours earlier switched it to electric pump rated 6-10 psi....dummy lol
critterCQB
Criminal
Criminal

PostPosted: Dec 20, 2007 12:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep still a mechanical set up. I remember we put on a Mallory dual point ignition system. We couldn't keep the points clean. Put the stocker back on real fast!
PityDaFool Who Posts This Much

City: Door Knob

PostPosted: Dec 20, 2007 1:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well it definitely is no LT1. Can you post a few pics of the engine? I believe Supra was getting their powerplants from PCM at that time, who were using primarily Ford small blocks and Chevy big blocks.
critterCQB
Criminal
Criminal

PostPosted: Dec 21, 2007 6:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No pics right now, here In the spring I'll have plenty after we bring it down here to Jacksonville. You're right, it is a PCM, 5.7L Small block. It's an iron block of course. Didn't that make them LT1's? The Iron block? And the aluminum blocks were LS1's? I could be very wrong...

PostPosted: Dec 26, 2007 9:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

critterCQB wrote:
it is a PCM, 5.7L Small block. It's an iron block of course. Didn't that make them LT1's? The Iron block? And the aluminum blocks were LS1's? I could be very wrong...

If you do have the PCM 5.7L Chevy engine that is awesome. It is a rare engine and rated at 280 hp vs. the more popular Ford 5.8L 351 @ 240 hp.

Iron block 350s have been around since 1967, there have been 2 generations of LTs.
LT-1 70-72
LT1 92-96

Just because LT1s were iron blocks, doesn't mean all iron blocks are LT1s. Same goes with LS1.

What makes an LT1 special is reverse-flow cooling (heads -> block) and an optispark (crank position sensor) distributor. They also have sequential fuel injection, which wasn't around in '86.

Commodore
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

PostPosted: Jan 03, 2008 7:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

critterCQB, I seriously doubt you have an LT1. The Chevy's were not too uncommon to find in them. About one out of 10 built had a Chevy 350 in them.
Ford was just leaning hard on PCM back then.

Hollywood listed it out on the differences.

The limited Edition refers to your paint scheme, and a few options not normally found on a TS6m.

But that's a sharp looking boat. Looks to be in good condition!

If you can't find a pylon you like, if you pay shipping, you can HAVE mine. It's a Skylon pylon I used on my Comp. I have a different boat now, and a tower. So I will most likely never sell it. So I might as well help a fellow Supra owner out.
PM me if you want it.

P.S: You know you have to hackaw off the T's on the ski pylon right? Don't worry it only takes 5 minutes.
Hollywood

PostPosted: Jan 03, 2008 8:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ahhh please don't take a hacksaw to any part of your boat. Drop in a pylon that will work for your needs (they are out there) and sell that to someone who wants an original look to their boat.

Looks like the same pylon from the earlier American Skiers too.

JTRebel
Outlaw
Outlaw

City: Graham

PostPosted: Jan 03, 2008 8:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The T on the pylon will drive out. You don't have to cut it off. I took my pylon out of the boat and just hammered it right out.
critterCQB
Criminal
Criminal

PostPosted: Jan 03, 2008 8:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Awesome! Thanks Haugy, i'm gonna PM you. The boat's in great shape. I love it to death. We're taking a trip up to baltimore in the spring to de-winterize it, and bring it down here to Jax. I had a feeling I could tap the "t" out, I'd seen ppl do it before at the marina. I'll just use a dead blow mallet from work.
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

PostPosted: Jan 03, 2008 10:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JTRebel, hammered eh? I couldn't get mine to break free to save my life. Thus the hacksaw. And Hwood, I then smoothed it with a die grinder, then painted it. It looked like it had never been a T-bar, and didn't have a gaping hole in it either. Mr. Green

Hollywood, I want you to find me a pylon that is designed for the T-bar on a Supra. I only looked for over a year. The only option is to remove it, put in a new bolt in lower section and removeable upper section.
Hollywood

PostPosted: Jan 03, 2008 11:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I meant put a generic "low" pylon in the boat, then you can use any of the aftermarket "extended" pylons
Commodore
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

PostPosted: Jan 03, 2008 12:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hollywood, granted but that's extra $$$$. The way I did mine was it looked like that at the end result. While granted it's not "original" I doubted if anyone noticed. Not too mention whenever I was out, the pylon was slid over it anyways.

Just gotta make things difficult don't ya??? Mr. Green
Hollywood

PostPosted: Jan 09, 2008 9:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

haugy, no I'm just not a huge fan of irreversible "upgrades". Mr. Green

Now if we were talking 1986 Bayliner Capri, I'd say bust out the Sawzall and hammer drill and go to town!

critterCQB
Criminal
Criminal

PostPosted: Jan 11, 2008 5:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I saw a guy wrap a rag around one side of the "t" and then clamp it with some vice grips. Then he tapped the other side with a dead blow mallet, and would twist the vice grips every now and then. From what I understand, you could just tap it back in when you needed to.
Outlaw
Outlaw

City: Graham

PostPosted: Jan 15, 2008 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thats a good idea Haugy, I never did like that gaping hole when the pylon wasn't on
critterCQB
Criminal
Criminal

PostPosted: Mar 29, 2008 11:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We got the hitch on the Jeep! The comp will make the Jacksonville debut on April 6th!
Outlaw
Outlaw

City: Paragould

PostPosted: Apr 04, 2008 11:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had an 87 Comp TS6M and it had the 351 Cleveland. It would come out of the hole pretty hard. They are nice boats. The only complaint I had with mine was not enough room with the closed bow and all. I miss it though.

Quote from Myself,
Can't nobody love me like I can love me
bigkitch
Outlaw
Outlaw

PostPosted: Apr 07, 2008 5:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

critter,

you had the comp out yet? im itchin to get mine out casue we had to switch it back from electric fuel setup to mechanical..couldnt get it to run properly, and whoever put the parts on used shitty ones too. but let mek now hows shes runnin, wouldnt mind a little....drag race? haha ford vs chev booyah.

oh and i jsut swapped rub rails on mine, so keep an eye out on yours unless its been done/caulked. my deck and hull broke apart, liek a lot of the rivets jsut let go. boat almost sank last year lol.
trucky39
Outlaw
Outlaw

City: Paragould

PostPosted: Apr 07, 2008 8:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bigkitch, that sounds like it might have puckered the door knob a lil. They say the comps are bad about that kind of stuff (around the rub rails) and also about vapor locking. I didn't have any problem with mine but I didn't have it real long either.

Quote from Myself,
Can't nobody love me like I can love me
critterCQB
Criminal
Criminal

PostPosted: Apr 07, 2008 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep, we've had a few vapor lock issues in the past. But the rub rails have been caulked. But anyways, the damn thing has been sitting in a garage for almost 7 years. My dad and I pulled her out this past weekend, and hooked up the garden hose. 1st crank "womp, womp, womp". Second crank "womp, womp, womp" discouraging. 3rd crank "womp, VROOOOOOOAAAAAAMMMMM". We held her at about 1500 rpm for like 25 minutes, till the idle settled down, and she got up to temp (and all the marvel mystery oil cleared). I gave her a hasty scrubbing, hooked her up, and we headed back to florida. The floor panel that covers the prop shaft has dry rotted. I'll have to swap that out this weekend, along with some shining. Pics to come!

Bigkitch...you're on! Cool

Outlaw
Outlaw

PostPosted: Apr 08, 2008 8:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

7 years...snap. Suprised the thing even cranked over lol. glad to hear shes gonna be ready to roll soon, man!

trucky39, yeah the Comps got cheated out on the rubrail/sealing job. 5 of my friends have comps and we have done the rail of all but 1, and that 1 was mine until this year haha. Quite amazing how much water can come through such a small gap.............picture this. Center gunnel is somewhat deep. Oil pan, almost submerged.....you do the math lol
critterCQB
Criminal
Criminal

PostPosted: Apr 10, 2008 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok all, here it is. The 350 Chevy in an '86 comp. There's is still MUCH cleaning to be done, and I pulled that floor board out to be replaced already.

Criminal
Criminal

PostPosted: Apr 16, 2008 7:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So I went to see what I could do about installing my new skylon. Thanks Haugy! I knew that I'd need to pull the pin out of my pylon, but that sucker wouldn't come out. Vice grips and a dead-blow mallet, and I still got no love. My neighbor's gonna bring home a "screw tap" from his shop tomorrow. He's confident that we can get it out.

But after I gave up hope on the pin, I started cleaning out all the useless sh*t my dad was hording in the boat. After 7 years of storage, some type of rodent had set up shop under and behind the spotter seat. Much vacuuming and shampooing are in order. I wish she looked as good as she ran.

Criminal
Criminal

PostPosted: Apr 26, 2008 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, so you all have to hear this. We organized a wakeboarding day today, and we had 8 people ready to go. So the girlfriend and I put the boat in the water and fired her up. All is well for about 5-8 minutes when I look down at the temp gauge. 260 degrees! CRAP!

I instantly shut it down and lift the motor box. I immediately smell burnt rubber, and look back at my intake pipe. After I changed the oil this past week, my dumb ass forgot to hook the water pipe back up. I was so mad, especially since it was my own fault. I looked at my girlfriend and said "Get the Jeep, no wakeboarding today."

Then I remembered that my dad had put a spare impeller under the spotter seat. Over 7 years ago! People passing me on the dock saw the box lifted and started asking me questions. Next thing I know, I'm being handed crescent wrenches and sockets by complete strangers. I got it swapped out in under 30 minutes. The day was saved. Not that it's really that hard of a fix, but the amount of help I received from these random people absolutely blew my mind.

I've been out of the boating scene for a couple years because of the military and moving to florida and all. But it was so good to see that it's still the same, people helping each other out. Awesome f*ckin' day. Pics to come.

Outlaw
Outlaw

PostPosted: Apr 28, 2008 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think we can all vouch for one of those days budday.

I was launching my Comp down at the harbour here, and had it runnin then all of a sudden, float bowls stuck open. So here I am, nice lookin wake/ski baot that doesnt run with ppl lined up to get their stuff in the water lol. Little do I know look up and guys with their tools. I say, Ill need to confiscate your toosl for 20 mins while I get this carb workin again. So take the carb off, take off the float bowl covers, and then remember, stuff. I dont have any gaskets. OUT OF THE BLUE, a guy is down by the marina and he comes up and says, whaats the problem? I say, I ruined the felt gaskets on my float covers. He says, hey no worries, Ive got gasket maker in my truck. Brings his tool chest down by the water, little do I find gasket maker, and a few other goodies!!!

Any rate, the day was salvaged and I was in so pumped!!! Thank you Jim!!!
Commodore
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

PostPosted: May 01, 2008 6:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

critterCQB, we've all been there man. Ya get all excited about getting the boat out, and forget little things. Glad to see you got it all worked out.....

Where are the pics of the boat with the pylon?? That pylon went from one TS6m Comp to another. It's a Supra heirloom. Mr. Green
critterCQB
Criminal
Criminal

PostPosted: May 02, 2008 6:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Me changing the impeller

The Boat!

The Boat 2!

The Boat 3!

Awesome Time!

PostPosted: Apr 20, 2010 8:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

critterCQB, critterCQB,

Hey there I'm a newbie to this site so I don't know if you will get this or not? At any rate I have the exact same boat and am wanting to do some work on it. Any chance I can get a hold of you to ask you some questions?
kartman
Wakeboarder.Commie
Wakeboarder.Commie

City: meridian, Idaho

PostPosted: Apr 20, 2010 10:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nooga678
Wakeboarder.Commie
Wakeboarder.Commie

City: Chattanooga

PostPosted: Apr 20, 2010 10:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pull Hard, You may also try to PM some of the people that started these threads. While they may not visit the site anymore, they may have left the setting that emails them when they get a PM on this site.

Good luck and post pics of your restore.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wakeboarder Forum Index -> Share Your Boat All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Add To Favorites

Jump to: