Wakeboarder Forum Index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   StatisticsStats   FavoritesFavorites   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages  Log inLog in 
BlogsBlogs   

The Truth Behind Comp Vests (Non USCGA vests)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wakeboarder Forum Index -> General Wakeboarding Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Hollywood
PityDaFool Who Posts This Much

City: Door Knob

PostPosted: Oct 15, 2007 10:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Puck3tt wrote:
As of now, the only way of me knowing how risky these vests are (before purchasing) is to either email them (which has proved difficult to get accurate information) or to do my own research on the vest - second-hand information.

You can do your own research and get FIRST hand information by placing the item in your hand and reading it.

Puck3tt wrote:
It seems like the best info should come from the manufacturer itself, but that isn't happening.

Yes it is, it's printed directly on the item.

How do you propose to handle second-hand buyers? What if I buy an A-10 off eBay?

chavez
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

City: Roseville

PostPosted: Oct 15, 2007 11:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hollywood, sue eBay! They have DEEEEEEEEEEP pockets. Neutral

RIP MHL 04/25/1958 - 01/11/2006
Porterwake
Wakeboarder.Commie
Wakeboarder.Commie

City: Wisconsin

PostPosted: Oct 15, 2007 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Extremely sad story here.

I do have a question for all, does this story make those who do use non-USCGA vests switch to an approved one?

Another downside about non-USCGA vests, if the DNR decides to do a random life jacket check on your boat, it doesn't qualify. Hefty fine for not enough floatation devices.
TYLER**
Outlaw
Outlaw

City: Baton Rouge LA

PostPosted: Oct 15, 2007 7:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Puck3tt, the stretch towards the diversion or towards Big Johns??
Tyler~Moore
Wakeboarder.Commie
Wakeboarder.Commie

City: Knoxville

PostPosted: Oct 16, 2007 9:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Porterwake, Not for me. I've known all along I could die wearing a non cga vest...But at the same time I know not wear a seatbelt I could die. I'd like a live a comfortably a possible. I figure I'm gonna die when my time is up...whether I'm wakeboarding, driving or in my sleep. Death isnt oemthingto fear, just have fun when your alive
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Blog Visit poster's website AIM Address
Porterwake
Wakeboarder.Commie
Wakeboarder.Commie

City: Wisconsin

PostPosted: Oct 16, 2007 9:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well then are you saying USGCA approved lifevests are fun-killers?
jt09
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

City: Austin

PostPosted: Oct 16, 2007 9:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Porterwake wrote:
Well then are you saying USGCA approved lifevests are fun-killers?

That's what I am saying.
Puck3tt

PostPosted: Oct 21, 2007 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hollywood wrote:
Puck3tt wrote:
As of now, the only way of me knowing how risky these vests are (before purchasing) is to either email them (which has proved difficult to get accurate information) or to do my own research on the vest - second-hand information.

You can do your own research and get FIRST hand information by placing the item in your hand and reading it.

Puck3tt wrote:
It seems like the best info should come from the manufacturer itself, but that isn't happening.

Yes it is, it's printed directly on the item.

How do you propose to handle second-hand buyers? What if I buy an A-10 off eBay?

Yes, but why should I have to purchase the item to learn how risky the vest is? That doesn't seem right at all. There isn't anywhere in my town that sells these vests, so I can't go look at the vest.

And just to say it again, I'm talking about the point of purchase - i.e. online stores. Therefore the info on the vest is not what I'm talking about. I already said that the warning on the vest seems to be pretty good. I'm just asking why can't something along those lines be in the item description. It doesn't make sense to me at all.

Tyler, they launched at Big John's and were down the stretch past Fred's.

Again, I want to thank everybody for their responses and feedback. It's been a few weeks, and I'm still having a rough time getting over this. It warms my heart that people care and that some people are finding out some things they didn't know.
LakeIolaLuke
Wakeboarder.com Freak
Wakeboarder.com Freak

City: Lake Iola/Orlando

PostPosted: Oct 21, 2007 9:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Puck3tt, if you can't find out on your own weather or not a particular vest is CGA, you'd have to suck very bad at the interwebs. it's also pretty easy to tell by looking, all cga vests must have two buckles with a zipper or three without a zipper. (type 3 pfds that is) there are a few imposters, like the oneill outlaw or hyperlite 5 to 10 vests, but for the most parts, non -cga vests aren't going to have the extra buckle
Lop
Wakeboarder.com Freak
Wakeboarder.com Freak

City: St Louis MO

PostPosted: Oct 22, 2007 1:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i rode with my a10 on this weekend and all i could think about was this story.. i just love the way it fits and feels.

After you do that, help me find me leprechaun..... Rolling Eyes
andrewt
Outlaw
Outlaw

City: lewisville

PostPosted: Oct 22, 2007 2:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the A-10 so now I don't feel guilty about riding without a vest now
Puck3tt

PostPosted: Oct 24, 2007 7:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LakeIolaLuke wrote:
Puck3tt, if you can't find out on your own weather or not a particular vest is CGA, you'd have to suck very bad at the interwebs. it's also pretty easy to tell by looking, all cga vests must have two buckles with a zipper or three without a zipper. (type 3 pfds that is) there are a few imposters, like the oneill outlaw or hyperlite 5 to 10 vests, but for the most parts, non -cga vests aren't going to have the extra buckle

It's not hard to tell if a vest is CGA or not, and what CGA means as well. But non-CGA vests aren't all the same and aren't approved by the CGA for different reasons. Not all non-CGA vests provide little to no floatation.

Yes "Non-CGA" vest is listed on the website, but it isn't getting the message across very well. A lot of people don't know how risky the vest is.
david-d

PostPosted: Oct 25, 2007 12:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
It's not hard to tell if a vest is CGA or not, and what CGA means as well. But non-CGA vests aren't all the same and aren't approved by the CGA for different reasons. Not all non-CGA vests provide little to no floatation.

Yes "Non-CGA" vest is listed on the website, but it isn't getting the message across very well. A lot of people don't know how risky the vest is.

arent you contradicting yourself
mneal
Outlaw
Outlaw

City: St. Petersburg

PostPosted: Oct 25, 2007 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am sorry for your loss,
I personally rode a friend none approved vest once and I did like how light, nonrestrictive it was. But I also know there have been a couple times I have ate it and hurt myself pretty good and just held my breath and waited for my vest to bring to me the surface. I honestly dunno how you could do that once and feel good riding in anything other then a approved vest. Maybe I am fat/old and crash alot but I will always wear one, this thread just adds to that feeling.

I hope you can take at least a small bit of joy in the fact that maybe just maybe this thread will educate an otherwise un aware person, the stupid people, you cannot worry about. Life is choices, and I support they decision to wear what they want, on my boat every wears a USCG vest.

Once again, sorry for your loss.
lavonboarder

PostPosted: Oct 30, 2007 12:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only time I wear my comp vest (JP A-10) is when my buddies and I are winching, doing a rail jam, or if we are wakesurfing.

As a recent purchaser of the vest i can understand the appeal that there is for them but the claims for appeal are what confuse me. Claims are made that there is more flexibilty for inverted tricks and others like them, but the shoulder strap area is very wide and can be quite uncomfortable when doing inverts. There are JP CGA vest that have narrower shoulder straps. Also, if they are claimed to have more protection for falling why wouldn't they load them up with material, for padding? what is the logic behind this.

I wear mine when I because I know I am in shallow water, or in the cause of surfing, not in any real danger. I got mine for cheap and it is kinda like a trash vest. I am about 5'11 and 170 pounds and mine floats me decently.
RootAxis

PostPosted: Jun 16, 2008 9:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As a wakeboarder. I have never really given much though to this issue until now.

I recently heard of another person. Actually, just tubing in a slight storm in the same lake I go to, and the tube had flipped and had knocked the air out of him, and he wore one of these non-approved vests, and even though fully-conscience, had been swept under by the impact with no air in his lungs, and the shock and such had caused him to black out, or at least people believe, and so he had drowned. I wish I could find an article on it, but it was back in the year 2000, so I doubt that there is anything that I can resurface on it that would have more of an impact than just words.

Being that I am a wakeboarder myself, I was following one of the newbie topics discussing this, and was pointed to this topic, where it finally sunk in that I needed to actually check whether or not my jacket was approved. Mine, without even my knowledge, wasn't approved. I had simply bought it with amount of foam in mind, but I had chose amount of foam versus looks, and so I had downsized on the foam to make up for looks. These Non-USCGA writings on there, and this non-flotation device crap is literally nothing. I've seen it almost on EVERYTHING, so I don't give it much thought. Now that I know that it really isn't a flotation device, you can bet that I am purchasing a new life jacket. I just wish that I knew beforehand before purchasing the impact of it, instead of a few understated words.
Cartwheel

City: Windsor

PostPosted: Jun 17, 2008 10:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have just spent the afternoon reading this whole thread and I am glad that someone dug it up. I am considering purchasing a new vest and like most people, thought that the NonUSCGA ones looked way cooler. I nearly bought one last week but wanted to hear what people had to say about them before I decided on one.

Most of the opinions lean towards: "The Coast Guard didn't approve the vest, but I'm sure you'll still float with them." I am new to the sport and haven't experienced the restrictions that you guys refer to from CGA approved vests, but I'm sure at this point I won't know the difference. I'm definitely going to stay away from non-approved vests now and will promote CGA vests to everyone that I come in contact with in the sport.
tonality
Soul Rider
Soul Rider

City: DFW

PostPosted: Jun 17, 2008 1:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting that BBB would have this on today:

http://www.boardersbestbuy.com/

More interesting is that NOWHERE does it mention anything about the fact that it wouldn't float you, except for the reference to it being a "comp" vest...Knowing what I know, i would know what i was getting, but how many people are buying that because it's such a steal, not knowing they're not getting something that will float them?

Cory Kerber
Criminal
Criminal

City: FRESNO

PostPosted: Jun 17, 2008 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RootAxis wrote:

I recently heard of another person. Actually, just tubing in a slight storm in the same lake I go to, and the tube had flipped and had knocked the air out of him, and he wore one of these non-approved vests, and even though fully-conscience, had been swept under by the impact with no air in his lungs, and the shock and such had caused him to black out, or at least people believe, and so he had drowned.

Similar thing happened to me last year, but fortunately i had an approved vest and survived.

Chad H

City: Atlanta

PostPosted: Jun 17, 2008 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I remember when i first read this thread. It's the reason i'm riding in an approved vest right now.
gene3x
Addict
Addict

City: Dallas

PostPosted: Jun 18, 2008 11:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will backup the original point that there should be more of a warning on the comp vests. I ordered one on ebay a few years back not knowing the difference. I took a bad fall that knocked the wind out of me and began to sink. I scared the crap out of me and only then did I research what a comp vest really was.... call me a dumby wumby but I I had no clue they were that much different. I now and always wear a CGA vest and have for years. To do otherwise is recklessly playing with your life. Wink
JUST-IN-TIME
Soul Rider
Soul Rider

City: ON YOUR BOAT

PostPosted: Jun 18, 2008 12:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i rode with one last week, a non approved vest
i tried to wake surf in it and was getting drowned almost

it works great for PWC's and wakeboarding

it barely floats

Bluedevil202

PostPosted: Jun 18, 2008 6:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the non coast guard approved vests wont float you if you get the wind knocked out of you, thats why i always were a cga vest
H20orSnowLetsGo
Soul Rider
Soul Rider

City: Coeur d'Alene

PostPosted: Jun 20, 2008 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I went riding last weekend without any vest on, doing inverts, knowing damn good and well if I was knocked out, etc., I'd be screwed. - actually - I took the vest off because it was physically uncomfortably with a drysuit on (the water was 51º!). The CGA vest was like cutting me up under the armpits from the extra bulk of the drysuit. Talki about comfortable wearing none, but even something I would highly advise against knowing the risks involved.

I remember this thread and posting way back when. Don't remember what I wrote, nor do I care. The fit and feel of the non-CGA I like, but if the boat owner/driver prefers I wear the CGA one, on it goes.

As for the rules if CG or authorities check things out- my understanding is there need to be enough CGA devices for all occupants of the vessel. Even if the rider is in a non-CGA or none, as long as one is on board the boat, then it's safe from fines. I could be wrong on that so don't quote me.
Chad H

City: Atlanta

PostPosted: Jun 21, 2008 7:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

H20orSnowLetsGo,
I believe that last line varies from state to state

Here is a quote from the alabama book on boating laws:

No person shall operate or give permission to operate any vessel on the waters of this state towing a person or persons on water skis, surfboard, spinners, or other similar devices unless such person or persons being towed are wearing a Type I, II, III, or Type V U. S. Coast Guard approved personal flotation device (PFD).

Personally, I feel for the OP, and his loss, but the mere fact that it's not approved by the coast guard is enough warning. I mean, I personally don't think people should need another warning. Personally, I don't ride them because the few i have felt like i was going to sink, and i'm not doing tricks that are that technical to matter with one.
Dragonlady8
Black Widow
Black Widow

PostPosted: Jun 22, 2008 10:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

H20orSnowLetsGo, was the vest under the drysuit or over it?
elderpuck3tt

PostPosted: Jul 21, 2008 9:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hello all. i am the older brother of the original poster on this thread and wanted to clarify a few things...
first of all i wanted to give all of you a little background. my brother was an incredible athlete. on a scale of 1 to 10 with 1 being non-athletic and 10 being a proffesional athlete, my brother was about an 8.5. he played semi-pro soccer, ran marathons/triathalons and was extremely competitive in a variety of sports including water sports. as a family we started kneeboarding back in the 80's and my brother was about 5 years old when he first got behind the boat. he had about 22 years experience being towed behind the boat kneeboarding, skiing, wakeboarding, wakeskate, barefoot, you name it he did it. our dad always required us to wear USCG approved vests while riding so it was ingrained in our head that it was not even an option. when my brother bought the jetpilot A-10 he new it would not keep him completely afloat but thought that it would keep him up long enough for the boat to circle and pick him up should he be knocked out. as we all know...this didnt happen.

Here are the facts...
1)while wearing an A-10 Comp vest my brother fell face first knocking him out and causing his wakeboard to release and he sank like a rock to the bottom of the amite river.
2)the boat circled around immediately and when seeing no sign of him started to dive in the murky water to find him with no luck
3)it took the wildlife and fisheries along with divers over 6hrs to find him on the bottom with his A-10 Comp vest still on him.

So what does this mean for everyone reading this? i want you to consider this...
alot of you think you are exceptional riders/badasses or whatever and that this will never happen to you. i am here to tell you that my brother was in fact an exceptional rider and an accomplished athlete and it happened to him.

I just want to spread awareness and let you guys know that these vests more than likely will not hold you up if you fall and are knocked out unless you are like 50% body fat. and since most wakeboarders are in fairly good shape i would think the 50% rule wouldnt apply to most of you. and if you think the boat can make it back to you in time before you sink...think again. even with no other boat traffic, the chances of them getting back to you before you go below the surface are slim to none.

Spread the word guys and get those USCG approved vests on please. you dont want to go through or put your family through what i have been through.

keep the dialogue going and thanks for all the posts.
Jensen
Wakeboarder.com Freak
Wakeboarder.com Freak

City: Chico

PostPosted: Jul 21, 2008 10:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

elderpuck3tt, thanks for spreading your story, its the reason why i haven't bought a non CG vest and will never wear one.
noobie

PostPosted: Jul 21, 2008 11:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think that anyone that wears a non-cga vest is gambling with his life. Kinda like a rock climber using an old worn out rope or mountain biking without a helmet. THe equipment is there to potentially save your life. To not wear one because your buddies will think you are a puss is plain stupid. Your buddies might not think your cool, but no one looks good in a pine box.

If your not wearing CGA.......get one and wear it you moron. Or dont then your wife and kids or parents can sell your boat and your wakeboard gear to me for cheap.
JUST-IN-TIME
Soul Rider
Soul Rider

City: ON YOUR BOAT

PostPosted: Jul 21, 2008 12:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

or get one hell of a life insurance policy
bizzuck
Addict
Addict

PostPosted: Jul 21, 2008 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry about your loss. This is, without a doubt, a real tragedy.

Who knows if online merchants should do a better job a describing the product. My guess is that is something that is going to be argued in motions. I do think those of us who are reasonable agree that the jacket itself contains enough warning.

That being said, I wouldn't be surprised if this thread has been continued purely for use in the lawsuit.

www.atlwake.com
Jensen
Wakeboarder.com Freak
Wakeboarder.com Freak

City: Chico

PostPosted: Jul 21, 2008 8:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would suggest that this thread be stickied so any new 12 year old kids who just got into wakeboarding and think they gotta have vests like the pros can see what kind of risk they are taking.
etang789

PostPosted: Jul 21, 2008 10:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK after reading this thread Im going to throw out vest that are not USCGA approved or its too worn out!

What USCGA approved are the best for wakeboarding? I was thinking to buy some new Helium SWAT series!
flounderbout
Outlaw
Outlaw

City: London

PostPosted: Jul 22, 2008 2:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have JP Core, which is really comfy and gives great impact protection. You can pick them up pretty cheap...
http://www.overstock.com/Sports-Toys/Jet-Pilot-Core-Neoprene-Wakeboard-USCGA-Life-Vest/2343260/product.html
noobie

PostPosted: Jul 22, 2008 3:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Second on the JP core. I got mine from a guy on amazon for like $55.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wakeboarder Forum Index -> General Wakeboarding Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 6 of 7

Add To Favorites

Jump to: