Wakeboarder Forum Index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   StatisticsStats   FavoritesFavorites   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages  Log inLog in 
BlogsBlogs   

What are you trading now?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wakeboarder Forum Index -> Business and Finance
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bsaaron
Outlaw
Outlaw

City: Calgary

PostPosted: Feb 04, 2008 11:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Mario! I bought some on the last dip there a few weeks ago, although I sold a few days later when it popped....They certianly are lining up with a good company with lots of moola to get this operation started! I will definatly give you a PM as questions arise!! Your in a hot sector and must be exciting times watching the demand grow stronger and stronger!!
Ricky V
Outlaw
Outlaw

City: Fort Myers

PostPosted: Feb 21, 2008 7:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

you guys should check into soda ash. its some significant material.
chavez
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

City: Roseville

PostPosted: Feb 21, 2008 8:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah crap. The pog market has taken a sh*t.

I'm going to move in to an equally useful market - carbon offsets. But if pogs start making a run I'm getting back in!

RIP MHL 04/25/1958 - 01/11/2006
Luke
Criminal
Criminal

City: BAY AREA!!!

PostPosted: Mar 28, 2008 7:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Decided to play around with SOLF again as earnings were coming out. Was planning on doing some options for them but it got to close to the expiration date before they even announced earnings.

The night before earnings I checked it out and it dropped decent just before close so I bought in in after hours. Now I am up about 16% after the announcement! Just hoping it decides to run up like last time earnings came out. Then it ran almost to $40 with a lot of zig zagging in between.

I also grabbed some Visa and up about 5% on that. I hadn't done much trading other than watch for the last couple months, so it feels good to get back in and start off in the right direction...

2 Image Dynamics Comp Drivers and 6.5" Drivers facing back
6 Pioneer 6x9's, 4 back/down 2 forward/down
2 Solo 10" Subs
Alter Ego
Wakeboarder.Commie
Wakeboarder.Commie

City: Toronto / Bala

PostPosted: Apr 03, 2008 11:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hello RIM....
ontrider
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

City: Russia

PostPosted: Apr 03, 2008 11:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alter Ego, was right about RIM again.. Go figure. Laughing Good story on them in the paper the other day vs. the US Market...

I'll just base my RIM purchasing on how new your boat is. Laughing
Alter Ego
Wakeboarder.Commie
Wakeboarder.Commie

PostPosted: Apr 03, 2008 11:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hahaha - its all upside. Long term potential to be one of the top 3 device manufacturers in the world.
Alter Ego
Wakeboarder.Commie
Wakeboarder.Commie

PostPosted: Apr 03, 2008 12:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

an excerpt from the earnings call yesterday

Q – Peter Misek>: Good afternoon guys. The big question really is if we could elaborate a little bit on the platform that BlackBerry has become, we had an announcement today from one of your partners on XM Radio on the BlackBerry. What seems fascinating is that this is over cellular. And when you talk to the carriers, they say that this kind of stuff is impossible or very difficult to do. And then you’re rolling out Unite! which seems to be a phenomenal multimedia platform. Can you help us really understand that? How come you guys are able to do it and other people can’t?

<A – Jim Balsillie>: I think what some may or may not know is that we have 20 years in wireless data and that BlackBerry was launched with the evolution of seven or eight generations of wireless protocol stacks that were just broken apart with different interfaces and repurposed elsewhere. We have close to 150,000 or so servers around the world. And then we’ve got – with BlackBerry we’ve got what – eight years in that or so, nine years of BlackBerry hardening in multiple iterations. And you have to remember that carriers operate with very, very hard system tolerances because if something is not simple and intuitive and reliable, the customer sat stats just plummet and their customer call care stuff just soars; and it just collapses all their operational and profitability metrics. And carriers operate on incredibly tight metrics.

And what we realized is there’s an irony in wireless because people thought the door to the B2B was through the B2C. But in fact we found that the door to the B2C was through the B2B because we had all this time to harden the protocols and the processes and the leased lines. And the procedures selling BES – but you didn’t have to have the care metrics just perfect because you had an IT director and a CI in the middle looking after customers. And there was such a high business ROI on it, the keys were obviously security and seamless integration; and of course you build reliability fully and completely over time. And then that, all that hardening did the overwhelming majority of the work to evolve into the B2C in the cloud and the BIS.

And then when you look at Unite!, Unite! is just a port, a BES to a Windows machine. So people are getting the benefits of 20 years in wireless data, a couple dozen revs of protocol architectures, and very hardened and market tested solutions that we migrate to adjacent segments. And I think you wrap all that around the fact that RIM is purpose built for this product, for this market. We are not trying to leverage some other business. This is not about some business of leveraging an app or leveraging a device or leveraging some other media platform or OS or something like that. We’re not trying to leverage anything. This is a purpose-built convergence strategy, which really doesn’t have any strategic compromises that you are trying to leverage. And we also highly focus on inherent realities of wireless, which is a multidimensional scarcity equation where you’re trying to optimize an experience in five or six factors of scarcity.

So, I think it’s a bunch of unique structural reasons why we are where we are, but it’s the scale and early entry and hardening and purpose-builtness and focus I think are really the totality of it. And virtually every strategy I’ve seen in wireless that you really see seriously pushed fundamentally comes from some company trying to do a leverage strategy. They make incursions into wireless as a leverage of their core business, to reinforce and support their core business; and that comes with all kinds of strategic realities and I would also say strategic tradeoffs.

And so I think that’s the core distinction between RIM and others though others that are making big plays into wireless on a leverage basis try to represent that their stuff comes with particular value. But with RIM, you know what you’re getting; you know what the focus is, you know it’s a generic universal enabler with focuses on efficiency and reliability. And our model is making the carrier a platform, not a disintermediation. We have no disintermediation strategy. The carriers, the channel gives us a lot of leverage. So there’s a lot of thought, there is a lot of holisticness in our thinking. It’s not just this one element and I think these natures and ways have always made it difficult for people who try to make incursions into our market because they oversimplify the elements in it and then when they get into it, if you’re missing a couple key ingredients, then you don’t get traction because it’s a multi-variant game. So, I know it’s a long-winded answer, but it’s actually a very good and multi-faceted question.

<Q – Peter Misek>: So Jim, one last thing. As the web goes way more broadband and wireless, do you think the carriers have really started to really appreciate how much more technologically advanced you guys are than everyone else? Have they...

<A – Jim Balsillie>: I think so because what’s happening with a lot of carriers is – you say as the web goes more broadband, you have to remember that Shannon’s Law is fixed in physics that, a bit per unit of hertz and that doesn’t change; so if you 10x the bit rate, you 10x the spectral consumption. And for these license spectrum and global propagation, they’re very expensive to deploy and that’s why things like Wi-Fi and side-loading are very important because they offload the capacity. When you look at somebody saying we do 1 megabit per second, it’s important to understand that voice with a good codec is 5 Kbps; so a 1 megabit stream is using the capacity of 200 concurrent voice channels. Those of you in urban corridors, can you let me know if any of your carriers are sitting around with 200 concurrent channels of latent capacity there to use? And then plus when you release flow the packets, you are using energy and thus you deplete batteries. And if you try to deplete too much energy too quick, you get the very unstable heating and flaming characteristics for batteries. And so you get into thermal dynamic issues; you get into energy storage issues. You get into size issues; you get into capacity issues. You get into cost issues.

So yes, the carriers we deal with are realizing that you’ve got to respect the network and the BlackBerry users. As an example, there have been some multimedia launches that have had high profile in the United States and these high, high profile multimedia devices use on average 20 to 30 times the amount of data that a BlackBerry does, and yet they get the same or less revenue per device. And so the marginal revenue of scarce capacity per unit of capacity consumption is off by using a factor of 20, 30, 40, or 50. So I mean we’ve all done microeconomics and the value of the marginal increment of something scarce. Some do the math; some don’t.

<Q – Peter Misek>: Thanks, Jim. That was fantastic. Have another wonderful year.

Operator: Ladies and gentleman, due to time constraints we have time for one final question. Your last question comes from Michael Urlocker of GMP Securities. Please go ahead.

<Q – Michael Urlocker>: Thank you. Hey, it’s great when you go in alphabetical order. My question, Jim, is if we can step back from the financial modeling and technical stuff and really look at from a customer standpoint; when you think about the telco customers and the consumers, can you describe for me what you think are the new problems or the increasing problems that they have that you’re trying to solve for them?

<A – Jim Balsillie>: Sure and that’s a fair thing. I think the core question for the telco – there are a couple of core questions. But the principal strategic question I believe for the telco is what’s my role in this world of voice/data convergence with lots of contention in the ecosystem. So if you saw at 3GSM and stuff like that where some of tech guys are saying we don’t need the carrier and the carrier doesn’t matter and stuff like that, the most strategic issue for the carrier is what is there relevant to the customer because they have been selling an app, voice, with a little bit of peer-to-peer texting. And that has been their principal business, but that’s shifting and shifting rapidly.

Our strategic offer to the carriers is they become a managed service platform to the market. Others say get out of the way, be a pipe and just make it a really high volume, high coverage, cheap pipe, which we just think in the nature of wireless has very adverse economic consequences to the carrier and actually really questionable possibilities for the consumer. I think that’s the strategic issue for the carriers is how do they play in the platform game as this – and you’ll see all of these tech players and all these service guys playing in it. And you’ve seen how economic fates can shift. I mean think of the music industry. They had a known model and then it shifted to a sinking model on an MP3 player; and all of a sudden their economic fate shifted dramatically and quickly even though they didn’t do anything and the value of the content shifted. So, these things can change when new enablers come into the equation and they know that. So, I think that’s the key thing and obviously ours is make the carrier platform, not a pipe. And there are alternative visions out there and that’s all going to play out and it will all be very, very interesting.

I think – and they always have to do that in a context of respecting customer satisfaction, customer scarcity – sorry, spectral scarcity, CapEx, and their need to interface with all these different players in the ecosystem but not capitulate to them, so you have lots of interesting and uneasy alliances. And now they are getting that strategically, relationship-wise, marketing-wise, technologically-wise. It’s an incredibly complex and essential job for a carrier to do. And our strategy is to OEM the middleware to them and virtualize a bunch of processes and have a partnership plan and implementation that assists them for purposes of BlackBerry to realize that potential. And the results show they have very high ARPU, low churn from BlackBerry and that has become their platform to the customers.

I think the key thing for the customers right now is really one of discovery in an economic model that’s attractive to them. There are lots of things that are being discovered right now and enabling. We’ve seen some exciting multimedia representation where we’ve talked a lot about the PC synchronization model. I think you’re seeing a lot of things like social networking involving some texting. I think we’re going to see a lot of e-commerce and stored value things. So, I think the customer – anyhow what’s the price to the customer and how does UMA – what is the play in the PTP? You’ve seen with Slingbox and TiVo you can time shift and place shift TV content that you paid for to your mobile and watch it later and that’s all very interesting.

So I think the key thing for the customer is what are the enabling possibilities, how are they compelling, how easy and intuitive are they, and how much do they cost. What’s the whole discovery process and viral process there, and I think we are seeing a burgeoning of that happening. I think things like for us Unite! and the GPS and the UMA and the better BIS and the partnerships with Google and Microsoft and Yahoo! and Amazon and eBay and Facebook and MySpace, all the PBX, Sync, Wi-Fi, and all that are very important parts of that discovery thing. So I think there is – I mean we have to play the customer enabling demand generation on the B2C about that whole are we in that positioning or this is what people want to buy and are we helping the carrier be in the spot they want to be and capitalize on that spot. And I think those are generic issues across the industry and we try to insert ourselves nicely in the enabling, discovery, value, intuitive card for users and the strategic platform positioning for the carriers and it’s pretty distinct from other strategies from the tech industry.

So, we’ve doing this for as you know, Mike, for seven or eight years with this kind of strategy. We have got 350 carriers in 135-odd countries and growing. So, I think we’re are in a good spot, a helpful spot, and a distinctive spot. And we have a lot of pressure on operation and execution for us and our carrier partners. It’s a constant but that’s what happens when you are growing so fast quarter over quarter. And we also keep growing and if the sector specific element stays where we think they are, I think we are at the spot where we want to be.

<Q – Michael Urlocker>: Jim, thank you for that. If I look at my own experience as a user of BlackBerry and watching consumers on the commuter trains and at airports, I think the number one issue or challenge consumers have is getting music onto their phones or on their device or on their BlackBerry. Is that something that seems important or am I off in an area that’s unimportant?

<A – Jim Balsillie>: No, I would think that very, very seamless synchronization to your PC, everything on your PC would be a very, very nice start and that is something I completely agree with. And put that in the category of imminent things.

bsaaron
Outlaw
Outlaw

City: Calgary

PostPosted: May 12, 2008 7:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mariognarly wrote:
bsaaron wrote:
Anyone invested in Potash? I think this is a great sector to be in with the increasing demand, especially from our friends China and India. Potash Corp, one of the worlds largest producers has a few mines within Canada with the majority of Potash coming from Saskatchewan. I recently have been following another up and coming Potash company out of Sask. called Anglo Minerals (ALM). They have a 1.5 million acer spread. They are currently focussing in one region where they are completing a seismic study to date. From here they plan a feasibility study for the construction of a mine. They have a joint Venture with BHP Billiton (currently bidding on largest Aluminum producer Rio Tinto). 25% Anglo, 75% BHP

Resource estimate: 460 MM tonnes @ 24.11% K20 (Inferred) which is about 110 MM tonnes potash. Typical price for potash is $150/tonne, so value in ground is about 16 billion bucks. Cant base a valuation off this number but it provides an idea of what is in the ground. Also inferred resources is not the number banks will give money on, so they will have to update their numbers to an indicated value (accuracy).

So far I do not own shares, but have watched the company make great gains in the past few months. It is currently trading at $4.50 on the venture exchange.

Has anyone else come across these guys or any others similar to it. ISX is one other I have found, but have done little research on it.

bsaaron,

I do the IT work for Anglo Minerals. My dad and I are pretty heavily involved in the company, him quite a bit moreso than myself. IMO potash is a great investment right now. It's just increased from 175$ a ton to 305$ a ton. BHP is throwing some major money at the minerals on our properties, and we are likely looking at a takeover situation this summer, pending their results. They have been showing a lot of interest in getting into the potash market, and we're a prime entry point for them.

Stock has been doing really well lately, we just released a Shareholders Rights Plan as well. We are trying to increase our international footprint. There is lots of potash interest from the Brazil/Argentina areas....getting BHP onboard with a project was a big step, but we're trying to get as many bidders as possible Cool.

Stay tuned, even if I wasn't directly involved....I'd be throwing money into Anglo. PM if you are interested in learning more about the company.

$8.15 offer by BHP!! Geez that was easy...haha! Fridays volume was extremely low, they kept this news pretty tight!
bvlaar
Criminal
Criminal

PostPosted: May 17, 2008 6:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Etrade the past week or so, have made a decent gain so far,
if you guys are pretty savvy investors i would recommend a website:
www.hotstockmarket.com, its got some serious day traders there and they make there living (i mean extremely comfortable livings) off day trading.

Also, if any of your guys are into the TSX, I would recommend watching bombardier, they just had a two day surge of over 11%! watch for a dip and check resistance and maybe buy in,
good luck all
NKCrider
Wakeboarder.com Freak
Wakeboarder.com Freak

City: NKC

PostPosted: May 17, 2008 6:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

we are gonna start tradin airtan i think, its really low
Luke
Criminal
Criminal

City: BAY AREA!!!

PostPosted: May 21, 2008 5:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh yes! Up 140% on my Solar stock. This is the second time it has gotten me a money and the first stock I have had double in just a few weeks.
2 Image Dynamics Comp Drivers and 6.5" Drivers facing back
6 Pioneer 6x9's, 4 back/down 2 forward/down
2 Solo 10" Subs
Alter Ego
Wakeboarder.Commie
Wakeboarder.Commie

PostPosted: Aug 01, 2008 6:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.cnbc.com/id/15840232?video=808417260&play=1
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wakeboarder Forum Index -> Business and Finance All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Add To Favorites

Jump to: