Wakeboarder Forum Index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   StatisticsStats   FavoritesFavorites   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages  Log inLog in 
BlogsBlogs   

Perseid meteor shower TONIGHT

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wakeboarder Forum Index -> Technology, Photography, and Media
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tball
Wakeboarder.com Freak
Wakeboarder.com Freak

PostPosted: Aug 12, 2007 5:45 pm    Post subject: Perseid meteor shower TONIGHT Reply with quote

http://news.yahoo.com/s/space/20070811/sc_space/greatshowperseidmeteorshowerpeakssundaynight

some pics from last year's perseid shower at: http://www.space.com/php/multimedia/imagegallery/igviewer.php?imgid=4161&gid=297

Quote:
The annual Perseid meteor shower is expected to be at its best this year, producing one or two meteors per minute during peak hours.

According to the best estimates, in 2007 the Earth is predicted to cut through the densest part of the Perseid stream sometime around 2 a.m. ET on Monday, Aug. 13. That corresponds to 11 p.m. PT on Aug. 12 for those living in the Western United States or Canada. The interval when the meteors will be falling at their highest rates will likely last several hours or more on either side of these times. As a result, it is the late-night hours Sunday, on through the first light of dawn Monday that holds the greatest promise of seeing a very fine Perseid display.

Anybody doing stargazing/photography of this? I wish I had been paying attention to this sooner so I could be set up for some long exposure pictures tonight...my wife took the camera on her trip to see her sister Sad . Anyway, the article says there could be a lot of activity for the next couple of nights as well. Just an FYI, in case there are folks as nerdy as me around here.

chaz28o
Wakeboarder.Commie
Wakeboarder.Commie

City: East Contra Costa County

PostPosted: Aug 12, 2007 6:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wish I was at Shasta Lake, on top of a house boat - watchin the show
scott a
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

PostPosted: Aug 12, 2007 8:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

for sure...shasta would be tops. especially since it's a new moon and the sky will be extra dark!

but the reports ive been reading say the best time to see this on the left coast is around 4am. screw that, i'm gonna be sleeping. Laughing

Jensen
Wakeboarder.com Freak
Wakeboarder.com Freak

City: Chico

PostPosted: Aug 13, 2007 8:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

watched it last night from 11 to midnight and it was really cool, i had never seen a meteor shower before since the sky was way to bright and wierd colors in southern california.
tball
Wakeboarder.com Freak
Wakeboarder.com Freak

PostPosted: Aug 13, 2007 10:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jensen, nice sig. Christina Applegate is officially back on the market, btw. "So you're saying there's a chance!!"
tball
Wakeboarder.com Freak
Wakeboarder.com Freak

PostPosted: Aug 11, 2009 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

THREAD RESURRECTION

The Perseid Meteor shower is back. I started this thread on Aug 11, 2007, Two years ago to the DAY! Leggester posted another thread on Perseid two years to the day before this one (Aug 11, 2005)! http://forums.wakeboarder.com/viewtopic.php?t=47914

http://news.yahoo.com/s/space/20090811/sc_space/strongmeteorshowerexpectedtonight

I'll see you guys in 2011.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wakeboarder Forum Index -> Technology, Photography, and Media All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Add To Favorites

Jump to: