Wakeboarder Forum Index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   StatisticsStats   FavoritesFavorites   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages  Log inLog in 
BlogsBlogs   

Anybody have a Vizsla?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Zack_Attack
Addict
Addict

City: Corbin, Kentucky

PostPosted: Jan 09, 2008 8:51 pm    Post subject: Anybody have a Vizsla? Reply with quote

I am looking at future dog. I know that these are definite pre-requisites:

It must like the water.

Easy to maintain (short hair)

Be a sleek hunting type dog

MUST be easily trained!

I was looking at the Vizsla. I had always wanted a weimaraner but from what I have read they sound like they are a bit needy and I don't know how keen they are of the water. My heart keeps telling me to get a Lab, I love those dogs. But I want to venture off and get something a little different. Plus I love the sleek look of weims and pointers etc....

kmagnuss
Wakeboarder.Commie
Wakeboarder.Commie

City: Sarasota, FL

PostPosted: Jan 09, 2008 8:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My sister has two. They're pretty great dogs. Excellent bird dogs, love the water, and two of the fastest dogs I've ever seen. They listen pretty well, and as they've gotten older, they've become pretty calm...just like most labs after 2-3 years.
ontrider
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

City: Russia

PostPosted: Jan 09, 2008 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Based on your needs I'd stay away from the weimaraner. My friend's neighbour used to have one and he says it was bonkers. Like bouncing off the wall 24/7 like it has been feed a bowl of sugar.

A lab would suit your needs from what you said. Do you have a lot of room for the dog too? You should think of that if you're getting a more active dog.
Chattwake
Wakeboarder.com Freak
Wakeboarder.com Freak

City: Chattanooga

PostPosted: Jan 10, 2008 5:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My friend has three. The youngest, at 1 year old, just ate his couch. I've got a german shorthair pointer, and I've never had any trouble out of mine.
Broccoli B
Wakeboarder.com Freak
Wakeboarder.com Freak

City: Grand Rapids

PostPosted: Jan 10, 2008 6:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a weim vielza mix, best dog I have ever had, loves the water more than food.

She is 6 years old, and still has a lot of play left in her, she will bug the stuff out of me if I come home from work and don't play with her for a while (granted she has been locked in a room for 10 hours.)

Only problem I have is these dogs have long nails and I cringe everytime I let her on the boat. She hasn't ripped anything yet.

lcap wrote:
you assume that i assume that my assuming is wrong and assume your assumption therefore must be correct.
Commodore
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

PostPosted: Jan 10, 2008 6:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, be prepared to be mad at Haugy.

9 out of 10 Vizslas are more of a pain than a joy. Of any Vizsla owner, I have only met one truley happy owner. They require constant attention, they suffer from anxiety seperation which means the house will be destroyed. They can be intelligent if you are a dilligent trainer. But mostly they are dumb as rocks.

Vizslas and Weimie's are right up there with Chihauhuas on my "I will never own one of these dogs" list. Everyone I have met is dumb as bricks and wild and uncontrollable.

I know many Spaniel breeds that love water. Look into the other Pointer groups as well.
Broccoli B
Wakeboarder.com Freak
Wakeboarder.com Freak

City: Grand Rapids

PostPosted: Jan 10, 2008 6:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would fall on the other end of the spectrum from haugy, my weim/viezla is very smart, never had serperation anxiety, and has been a great dog, she is trained to go on walks without a leash, can fetch and return beers to the kitchen, knows all the tricks. She could have been a phenominal hunting dog had a started her training younger.

Also, my cousin does the weimerainer shelter thing and has one of his own. The only bad thing I can say about his weim is that when it is inside it's cage it is mean (will bark and bite if you approach the cage) But once out, it is very nice.

lcap wrote:
you assume that i assume that my assuming is wrong and assume your assumption therefore must be correct.
jumalian
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

City: san diego

PostPosted: Jan 10, 2008 6:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

haugy, i've met quite a few vizla owners that are totally happy with their dogs, 2 of which are good friends of mine. maybe it's just what you've experienced, but vizlas are smart dogs.

ANY dog can be "dumb as rocks" if you don't give them the attention they need, which includes proper training.

most dogs require "constant attention." they're pack animals.

I'm thinking some island. And Alaska is not a choice.

Last edited by jumalian on Jan 10, 2008 6:45 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Blog Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
nmballa
Wakeboarder.com Freak
Wakeboarder.com Freak

City: Milwaukee

PostPosted: Jan 10, 2008 6:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My buddy has a Weimie. Great dog. Listen extremely well, loves the water, overall one of the best dogs I know. But they stink. I think I'm more partial to german shepards. But a Weimaraner is probably one of my favorite dogs.

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=509037985&ref=profile
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
gswake
Wakeboarder.Commie
Wakeboarder.Commie

City: Little Rock

PostPosted: Jan 10, 2008 6:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Years ago, I house-sat for people with a weimaraner and vizsla. The weimaraner was pretty neurotic, but the vizsla was just the sweetest. She was older, probably around 8 years at that point. And maybe not the smartest dog you'd ever meet. But certainly not a breed I would recommend against. If you spend a lot of time with your dog and have some experience with training them, I think a vizsla would be great for you. If you just want another living thing around, and especially if it's your first pet - get a lab. (Or some other breed that's pretty easy.)

(I should note that the vizsla had been "inherited" from an elderly woman who was really beyond being able to take good care of the dog.)

Ladies Man
Ladies Man

City: Wilmington, Delaware

PostPosted: Jan 10, 2008 6:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

They are great dogs, very protective if you end up having kids. Can be very aggressive to anyone outside the family.

weim's are great, but at 6 yrs olds, my friends is still CRAZY active.

I almost bought a vizla, german short hair pointer (gsp) but we ended up with the lab. He has all the traits you mentioned.
One thing about our lab, maybe because we didnt chop his nuts, but if anyone comes close to our property or approach us while he is on a leash, he will warn you.

Commodore
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

PostPosted: Jan 10, 2008 6:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jumalian wrote:
haugy, maybe it's just what you've experienced

Down here it's a very good possibility. People seem to think a dog is a no maintenance toy down here. Drives me nuts.
ontrider
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

City: Russia

PostPosted: Jan 10, 2008 6:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

haugy wrote:
I know many Spaniel breeds that love water. Look into the other Pointer groups as well.

Very true. I've got a brittany spaniel, loooves the water, coat doesn't need to be trimmed, is a hunting dog... and I think some days she's smarter than me. Laughing Oh, they're also the only spaniel breed that points!

Last edited by ontrider on Jan 10, 2008 6:53 am; edited 1 time in total
jumalian
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

PostPosted: Jan 10, 2008 6:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

muckmeister wrote:
They are great dogs, very protective if you end up having kids. Can be very aggressive to anyone outside the family.

any dog can be aggressive to anyone outside the family. but generally speaking, vizlas are loving dogs and welcome others outside the family. they're very gentle dogs.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Blog Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

PostPosted: Jan 10, 2008 6:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jumalian, From my friends with them and also the literature I read they are a bit more extreme than other dogs.

But you are correct, all breeds ( and I think German Sheppards are the most protective) are capable of any trait, training training.

jt09
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

City: Austin

PostPosted: Jan 10, 2008 6:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I only know a couple of visla owners and they love the dogs. Pretty smart/obedient dogs as well. The one across the street is uber Alpha because the owner pretty much lets him roam the neighborhood free all day, but LOVES playing w/ the boxer and lab that live in the other 1/2 of my duplex. Used to bark at me like crazy until I went up to him and made friends, now he comes up to me every time he sees me and wants to play.

I'm in the dog hunting mode right now as well. If boxers would freakin fetch, I'd be all but done w/ my search, but they don't. I gotta have a dog that fetches and is good w/ kids, so it looks like a lab/lab mix (it will be a pound dog). Just not real thrilled about hair everywhere.
Hollywood
PityDaFool Who Posts This Much

City: Door Knob

PostPosted: Jan 10, 2008 6:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

muckmeister wrote:
One thing about our lab, maybe because we didnt chop his nuts, he will hump you.

How can you argue with a Lab? If you have the time sure go with a Viszla but like a lot of people said, they require a ton of attention and excersize.

jumalian
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

PostPosted: Jan 10, 2008 6:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

like i said, generally speaking, vizlas are gentle, loving dogs. but if you don't socialize them (to other dogs and people), don't train 'em properly, then you'll have a dog that misbehaves, doesn't obey, doesn't get along w/ other dogs/people, etc.
kmagnuss
Wakeboarder.Commie
Wakeboarder.Commie

PostPosted: Jan 10, 2008 7:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now that you mention it, my sister's male Vizla is super protective of her when outside together. He won't let any man come near her, much less another dog. The weird thing really is that he seems to be really freaked out by little kids. He goes nuts.
The female is a sweetheart though.

Tough to go wrong with a lab or golden retriever though.

jumalian
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

PostPosted: Jan 10, 2008 7:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

vizlas don't do well w/ toddlers.
wsuwakeboarder
Soul Rider
Soul Rider

City: The state that is shaped like a glove

PostPosted: Jan 10, 2008 8:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zack_Attack, Ever think about an Australian Cattle Dog. they are medium size, short hair, all the ones i have met love water, and I am sure you can train them for hunting.
Zack_Attack
Addict
Addict

PostPosted: Jan 10, 2008 11:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

wsuwakeboarder, Never heard of it. I will check it out though.

I do love Labs, I had a couple growing up but moves created problems and always ended up getting rid of them. I had a minpin for two years up until mid 07. I was working 12 hours a day and was hardly ever home and that is a very very hyper dog. I ended up letting a friend of mine who had a female have him. After that I swore, no more small dogs.

If labs didn't shed as much as they do I would go for one immediately, but they do, and I have black carpet. Sad .

After some mild research I think I need to stay away from the weimi and vizsla for now, I'm not home quite enough and even though I have plenty of space I just don't want a dog that is overly needy.

I also LOVE the doberman pinschers but they aren't much of a water dog from what I have seen. I just want an larger dog that is chill and that I can feel comfortable taking him on the boat with different people. Also, chicks love big playful dogs.haha Wink

ohsix

PostPosted: Jan 10, 2008 2:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zack_Attack, an Australian Cattle Dog is more commonly called a Blue Heeler. From the few that I have known, I would say they're a lot like an Australian Shepherd or Border Collie, personality wise, but not as smart. All 3 of those breeds demand lots of attention, but are some of the smartest, most trainable dogs.

I've wanted a Border Collie since I was in high school, but my fear of commitment has always kept me from getting one.
nmballa
Wakeboarder.com Freak
Wakeboarder.com Freak

City: Milwaukee

PostPosted: Jan 10, 2008 2:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whats the name of those lion hunting dogs. They grow a natural mohawk down the length of their back or head or something. Coolest looking things. A neighbor down the street has one. It's a little skittish but seems cool enough.

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=509037985&ref=profile
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
jt09
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

City: Austin

PostPosted: Jan 10, 2008 2:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rhodesian Ridgebacks. Might as well get a Great Dane.
kmagnuss
Wakeboarder.Commie
Wakeboarder.Commie

PostPosted: Jan 10, 2008 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you have black carpet, get a black lab. Smile
gswake
Wakeboarder.Commie
Wakeboarder.Commie

City: Little Rock

PostPosted: Jan 10, 2008 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kmagnuss, Idea Exclamation
Zack_Attack
Addict
Addict

PostPosted: Jan 10, 2008 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kmagnuss wrote:

hmmmm....

No I would only want the blonde, or fawn or whatever they call it.

Hollywood

PostPosted: Jan 11, 2008 6:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zack_Attack wrote:
kmagnuss wrote:

hmmmm....

No I would only want the blonde, or fawn or whatever they call it.

Mine even gets my jokes!

IMG_1904.jpg

Description:
BWAHAHAHA!
 Filesize:  66.76 KB
 Viewed:  28023 Time(s)

IMG_1899.jpg

Description:
OMG! Who says that?
 Filesize:  63.36 KB

IMG_1894.jpg

Description:
Except this one.
 Filesize:  68.97 KB

Zack_Attack
Addict
Addict

PostPosted: Jan 11, 2008 10:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hollywood, thats a pretty dog. My parents neighbors have three, black, blonde, and chocolate. They are all EXTREMELY overweight, and I really don't know how either because they all stay outside all day long and run through the neighborhood nonstop.
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

PostPosted: Jan 11, 2008 10:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

haugy, LOL
Hollywood

PostPosted: Jan 11, 2008 12:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zack_Attack wrote:
Hollywood, thats a pretty dog. My parents neighbors have three, black, blonde, and chocolate. They are all EXTREMELY overweight, and I really don't know how either because they all stay outside all day long and run through the neighborhood nonstop.

Roscoe fluctuates between 88-90 lbs. My mother's chocolate is fat because she lays around all the time. I gave her long walks for 1 straight month and she looked like a totally different dog.

IMG_1902.jpg

Description:
 Filesize:  72.41 KB
 Viewed:  27965 Time(s)

Lizrd
Addict
Addict

City: Wonder Lake, IL

PostPosted: Jan 12, 2008 3:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We just ran the drug dogs through school and one happened to be a viszla. It had amazing drive and was so smart. Hit on a completely closed-up car. Inside was cocaine residue in a baggie in the center console on a windy day. Very impressive noses!
jlaws
Addict
Addict

City: NC

PostPosted: Jan 13, 2008 8:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

go for the lab :p
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Dragonlady8
Black Widow
Black Widow

PostPosted: Jan 13, 2008 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

But Labs can shed like there's no tomorrow.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wakeboarder Forum Index -> Non-Wakeboarding All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Add To Favorites

Jump to: