Wakeboarder Forum Index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   StatisticsStats   FavoritesFavorites   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages  Log inLog in 
BlogsBlogs   

Making our own gear.

View previous topic :: View next topic  
booby bunny
Wakeboarder.Commie
Wakeboarder.Commie

City: duck central

PostPosted: Jun 24, 2007 1:45 pm    Post subject: Making our own gear. Reply with quote

After talking to girl friends, both in peak physical shape and those that have a physical shape, Wink we have decided to start making our own gear. Even my friends who are a size 2, but want a more reliable are all about having stuff that is functional... without going to the men's section.

You know, board shorts that are longish... but not so long that your knee is in them. Legs that are looser than the average women's board shorts, but not gansta loose.

Water girl board shorts have a feature that I really like, the stretchy fly, they are comfy at all times of the month. (even if they are too short)

Bra like tops that are both supportive AND cute. Rash guards that cover the tatas and the tummy.

I have pattern making experience... thanks mom for forcing me into 4H, another girlfriend is an experienced dress maker. A close family friend that has his own custom made outdoor performance wear company. We even have a close friend that owns her own "premier water sports school" that is ALL on board with this.

At this point, we are only just starting, but what suggestions do you all have for making your favorite gear?
wakeboardin2k4
Soul Rider
Soul Rider

City: Wilmington

PostPosted: Jun 24, 2007 3:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know that my x gf hated any and all CGA approved vests. Once you ladies develop some products and are getting more advanced you should see about making your own vests made for girls with big tatas.

Im not sure if this is an issue for you ladies but maybe a girls oriented handle? With like a smaller diameter cause most girls have smaller hands than us guys?

This would be pretty cool if you really got a company started that could design wake gear for girls. Good luck

Dragonlady8
Black Widow
Black Widow

PostPosted: Jun 24, 2007 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good for you Boobybunny. Too bad all boardshorts are modeled after size 0 stick figures without a personality ..... Laughing
It woud be nice to find a company that makes boardshorts for the bubble butt gals Laughing Laughing that doesn't leave the infamous gap
Not a fan of the stretch fly though.

Dave W
Wakeboarder.com Freak
Wakeboarder.com Freak

City: Rochester

PostPosted: Jun 25, 2007 7:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you need help with any MarComm and Identity stuff give me a holler. The wife and I are both graphic designers and we both ride. I also have some ad agency experience to throw into the mix if you need it. If you don't need any help, then just be sure to let me know what stuff I should buy for my wife. Very Happy
booby bunny
Wakeboarder.Commie
Wakeboarder.Commie

PostPosted: Jun 25, 2007 10:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DL, which fly do you like? I sometimes wear a pair of surf shorts that were my step father's in the early 60's that I LOVE! and they have a lace up fly. I am not a huge fan of the velcro, but I understand why so many of the companies use them.

A vest designed for women... based on bra sizing is in the plan, just have to do more research on how to manufacture it. We were thinking along the lines of doing a SML with cup options.
Dragonlady8
Black Widow
Black Widow

PostPosted: Jun 25, 2007 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

booby bunny, I do like the velcro and lace fly.
You know that SML doesn't work for we ladies Wink gotta be the ABCD sizing Laughing

wakeboardin2k4
Soul Rider
Soul Rider

City: Wilmington

PostPosted: Jun 25, 2007 2:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think that all boardshorts should be lace up fly. As a guy the velcro fly is very uncomfortable when you try to use the bathroom. Can be rough.

Def go with an ABCD.

booby bunny
Wakeboarder.Commie
Wakeboarder.Commie

PostPosted: Jun 25, 2007 3:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SML with ab/cd/DF sizing...
so say you wear a 32D, you would get a "small cd" or "small DF" depending.
If you have a 38DD that would be a "Large DF"
Or a 38 B.. would be a "large ab."

That way tthe waist sizing would fit, with room for the tata's.
Lizrd
Addict
Addict

City: Wonder Lake, IL

PostPosted: Jun 27, 2007 5:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would LOVE a bikini with some support that is stylish and not A) matronly or B) too much "butch" coverage. Why can't suits support AND be cute?? I'm with you on the board shorts, too. I am "average" size and can't fit into junior sized board shorts to save my life. Surely there could be a way to put some tiny sections of hidden elastic in the waist - that would help with the gap in the back, too...and sign me up for a vest with cup room!
wateraddict

City: Pacific NW

PostPosted: Jul 05, 2007 11:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, yes, yes boobybunny, you and your friends have some great ideas!

I love the idea you have for vest sizing. I have the opposite problem, but I still love the idea. I prefer them slighly longer and am flat chested and my ladies vest I use now leaves gaps in the front . Laughing I know many who could use a vest that fits bigger cup sizes.

I undertand why they use velco in shorts, but I really am not a big fan of it and I hate that gap in the back. I agree with the long, but not over the knee and not ghetto style too. I wonder if a lace-up only short would stay tied.

Ditto on the rashguards that cover the tummy.

Dragonlady8
Black Widow
Black Widow

PostPosted: Jul 15, 2007 7:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well it looks like RipCurl is starting to make rashguards with longer bodies.

This was on steepandcheap today:

Grace B.
Wakeboarder.Commie
Wakeboarder.Commie

City: OR/WA

PostPosted: Jul 15, 2007 7:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a pair of boardshorts that lace up on the side that I really, really like. I think they look a lot better on too. And cute bikinis that don't tie around the neck! I have a couple Roxy ones that don't and they are so much more comfy to wear. The ones that tie around the neck start making my neck hurt if I wear them all day.
Dragonlady8
Black Widow
Black Widow

PostPosted: Jul 16, 2007 12:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grace B., I've spoken to several shop owners and bikini companies about make more fashionable tops that DON'T tie around the neck. Obviously they didn't listen.
I have the same problem with a rope around my neck Wink Laughing

goofyboy
Wakeboarder.com Freak
Wakeboarder.com Freak

City: Houston

PostPosted: Aug 06, 2007 4:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Could you do custom clothes? If a lady were to send in her measurments, you could make the clothes fit her body. My wife has the complaint that NOTHING fits just right. I don't know the logistics or the difficulties of doing this, but it is an idea.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wakeboarder Forum Index -> Ladies Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Add To Favorites

Jump to: