Wakeboarder Forum Index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   StatisticsStats   FavoritesFavorites   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages  Log inLog in 
BlogsBlogs   

Thanks for all the help...not
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wakeboarder Forum Index -> General Wakeboarding Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Canucked
Addict
Addict

City: Edmonton

PostPosted: Jun 04, 2007 7:00 am    Post subject: Thanks for all the help...not Reply with quote

So on saturday we went out to wizard early in the morning rode for a few hours and then my freaking boat died!

I think i've nailed it down to bad fuel. (I hope) I drained all of the gas and replaced it and it ran fine.

but, we tried to wave boats down for well over an hour at wizard lake by Edmonton. they all stared until they realized we needed help and then pretended not to see us. Our engine cover was up, we were waving paddles, we had been floating for over an hour in the same spot trying to fix it.

a few brand new malibu's, a baby blue X15, a red and black Xstar, new I/o's (this is a lake with very high end boats on it) the list goes on.

Finally a family in a 14-15 foot vangard (probably from the 80's) with 3 kids and a 70hp outboard comes over and pulls us across the entire lake to the dock we were parked at. When I offer some cash for his trouble he rufuses to take it. The little boat can barely pull ours (01 Air nautique) and by that time was getting swamped left and right from the big wakeboats rollers.

Now I would have completly understood had someone came up to help us and not felt comfortable towing us with there 80K boat but at least frekin offer to give one of us a ride to shore or something.

So just a shout out to the family that pulled us in and a thanks for nothing to everyone else that refused to help.
Tyler T
Wakeboarder.com Freak
Wakeboarder.com Freak

City: Portland

PostPosted: Jun 04, 2007 7:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I feel for ya. I've been in that situation before and gotten extremely frustrated when everyone would pretend not to see us when they realized we needed help. It's really unfortunate, but most people are just fvcktards.

Care to have a listen?
gene3x
Addict
Addict

City: Dallas

PostPosted: Jun 04, 2007 8:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What really sucks is when there is wind and it is blowing you into some rocks or some rigid object that threatens to do some real damage to your rig!
J.M.B
Soul Rider
Soul Rider

City: niagara falls

PostPosted: Jun 04, 2007 9:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks for the heads up, ive never come across that problem yet but i hope i dont anytime soon!

did you get my PM?
gotama176
Soul Rider
Soul Rider

City: Columbus

PostPosted: Jun 04, 2007 9:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Karma.

Been towed in, and I have towed others in.

Sorry to hear it took so long to find a pull, but it looks like the people in the little John Boat had their priorities right! Hopefully you will be able to help ‘em out someday when they need a hand.

J_DOGG
PityDaFool Who Posts This Much

City: New Hampshire

PostPosted: Jun 04, 2007 10:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Karma will get those bitches for sure....

I live on a lake, I see people drive by the broken down guy all the time while I'm mowing my lawn or sitting on my deck smoking a cigar.

What's funny is like what you mentioned, how instantly everyone in the boat is looking the other way or way too engrossed in conversation to notice 4 people waving paddles like they are stuck on a Island some place. No one wants to waste any of their precious and extremely valuable time helping out a fellow boater.
They need to spend a few helpless hours floating around to get a true taste of how much fun it is.

IMO - long gone are the days when every boater was a nice boater and they all helped EVERYONE!
Back when I was a young lad every boater on the lake would wave and everyone would wave back - not any more!

Aubs wrote:
J Dogg - I thought of you last night.

"Everyone wants a bite, it don't happen over night"!
waterdork88
Outlaw
Outlaw

City: lake placid

PostPosted: Jun 04, 2007 10:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i remember one time we broke down. and some kids in a malibu pulled up. they were "hey hows it goin?"

we were like "our boat isnt workin"

"oh well that sucks... (then he says real fast)well my name is yada yada yada. this is my friend blah blah blah and whoever. we saw you guys on the lake a few times. nice boat you got there. alright see ya later" (VROOOM) (he's gone) Mad and to make matters worse they were the only other people on the lake
Canucked
Addict
Addict

PostPosted: Jun 04, 2007 10:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

J.M.B,

I didn't read it until this morning, send me your # and we can meet at the lake for some pulls next time we are out. Although I have to do some "on water" testing to make sure everything is running OK

It was pretty frustrating. at our other lake we ride at its mostly fisherman. Last week we were floating around enjoying the sun and 2 different people came up to make sure we were ok. I guess my tax bracket isn't high enough to be helped at the rich kids lake.
--cresko--
Soul Rider
Soul Rider

PostPosted: Jun 04, 2007 10:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hah dang. yeah wizard is all nice boats. Lots of money there, nice lake though and that does suck, we always help people get pulled in, and last year when we broke down, we got pulled in.
nickl011
Wakeboarder.Commie
Wakeboarder.Commie

City: Fargo

PostPosted: Jun 04, 2007 11:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We've had to tow people in a couple of times. A jet boat got a rope wrapped around the shaft. I've had that happen to me on a neighbors jetski, all you gotta do is pull. Laughing
sabastianunf

City: Hilton Head Island

PostPosted: Jun 04, 2007 12:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stabil will keep your gas from going bad and save you a big repair bill. You may also want to invest in a fuel/water seperator and sea tow so you will never be stranded again. In all it will probably cost you $200 but it can save you lots of $ in the future.
chavez
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

City: Roseville

PostPosted: Jun 04, 2007 12:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've towed people in with a freaking standup jetski. Stranded is stranded and it ain't like they can walk to the next gas station and get help. If I see someone in clear distress I will go out of my way to assist no matter what I am piloting.

I don't believe in karma, but if I did I'd hope she was one mean nasty bitch to those people that went by you.

RIP MHL 04/25/1958 - 01/11/2006
macdaddy07
Criminal
Criminal

City: houston

PostPosted: Jun 04, 2007 12:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

everyone on my lake waves to you or will wave back, but they do not wanna tow in at all. i was stranded out in the bay, we were paddling in because no one would come help us when we waved them down. finally after a hr and half a lil 2 seater sea doo comes buy and offers a tow
HHI Dave
Wakeboarder.com Freak
Wakeboarder.com Freak

City: Hilton Head Island, SC

PostPosted: Jun 04, 2007 1:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its pretty common to see broken down boats around here. Its even more common to see rookies sitting high and dry on the sandbars with the tide going out.

I made the mistake of towing one guy's broken down boat one time. It was a disaster and I swore I'd never do it again.

About 2 weeks ago, we were out in my boat and saw a guy with his little boy stuck on a sandbar in a 24' center console. He waved us down and we went over to help. He repeatedly asked me to give him a tow. I told him in no uncertain terms that I would do anything I could to help him such as giving them a ride or making a phone call etc. but there was no way I was tying my boat to his. Even if I had, there was no way my little boat would have been able to pull him off that sandbar.

He finally got it through his head and we ended up giving them a ride to a dock. So much for wakeboarding the rest of that afternoon. Rolling Eyes
pet575
Wakeboarder.com Freak
Wakeboarder.com Freak

City: Kansas City, MO

PostPosted: Jun 05, 2007 5:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

HHI Dave, I'd rather have a guy come by and refuse to tow me and offer me a ride than ignore me. You're a good man for giving up an afternoon of wakeboarding to help someone else out. Same goes for all the rest of you who help. It doesn't always have to be a tow, especially since it is a really long swim home.
Chad H

City: Atlanta

PostPosted: Jun 05, 2007 7:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been there.

Me and two friends had been fishing on the other side of the river from his dock. We got stuck mid way across, and were slowly going closer to the dam. His big boat wasn't running so no one could tow us in, so we couldn't find anyone around us. I took off my shirt and was waving it. We finally somehow managed to get the motor to start and headed straight upstream away from the dam.
Canucked
Addict
Addict

PostPosted: Jun 05, 2007 8:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

pet575, That was my point, if someone came by but wasn't comfortable towing with their boat then fine, but at least offer some kind of help. Its a small alke and taking me into shore wouldn't have been a big deal

Anyways, i'm over it. took the boat out last night and it ran like a champ
ripperchick
Outlaw
Outlaw

PostPosted: Jun 05, 2007 9:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That happend last summer to a tiny little fishing boat right outside our marina past the no wake zone. It was the kind of fishing boat that doesn't have sides, but just flat with the fishing seats. Water was coming all over the top and the engine was underwater and it was definitely sinking, yet everyone just drove right by while the guys were bailing water out of it.

My friend and I, both on jetskis, tied the boat up and tried to tow it in. Well we learned quickly that two jetskis cant pull a sinking boat, but we were able to bring it back up above the water and keep it there until a pontoon saw the struggle and came and took over.

Its just sad that no one seems to really care about other peoples problems, yet they love to stop and stare! Mad Mad Mad
J.M.B
Soul Rider
Soul Rider

PostPosted: Jun 05, 2007 9:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ripperchick wrote:
That happend last summer to a tiny little fishing boat right outside our marina past the no wake zone. It was the kind of fishing boat that doesn't have sides, but just flat with the fishing seats. Water was coming all over the top and the engine was underwater and it was definitely sinking, yet everyone just drove right by while the guys were bailing water out of it.

My friend and I, both on jetskis, tied the boat up and tried to tow it in. Well we learned quickly that two jetskis cant pull a sinking boat, but we were able to bring it back up above the water and keep it there until a pontoon saw the struggle and came and took over.

Its just sad that no one seems to really care about other peoples problems, yet they love to stop and stare! Mad Mad Mad

i think ur talking about a bass boat?

yeah that would deff be a scary situation, bass boats are like 20,000 +!!
ripperchick
Outlaw
Outlaw

PostPosted: Jun 05, 2007 9:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That might be what it was, im not sure, but it definitely wasn't moving. And with all the cruiser going by creating those huge wakes, yes it was definitely scary.
Wakebrad
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

City: Dallas

PostPosted: Jun 05, 2007 9:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've never had that problem around here. Once we got the rope wrapped around the prop and were floating for over an hour while I tried to untangle it. First person we waved down stopped. Another time I forgot to put the plug in and thought we were going to sink first person we waved at stopped but I ended up getting the plug going and bilge+ballast pumps purging the bilge.
LFADAM

City: New York City

PostPosted: Jun 05, 2007 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One thing to remember that nobody has mentioned, if you are drifting towards rocks/a dam/etc., use your anchor! You should always have one aboard and if you cant get your boat to move itself, you can at least stay where you are...safe from rocks and other hazards.
ripperchick
Outlaw
Outlaw

PostPosted: Jun 05, 2007 5:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LFADAM, That is a good idea. To bad it wouldn't work on my lake, waters too deep.
kind
Outlaw
Outlaw

PostPosted: Jun 05, 2007 5:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

only ever been in a pull or be pulled situation. right outta benicia on the sf bay we were pulling back into 9th street and this little alumiunum boat with a young guy and girl were waving at us. we rolled up .. their engine died. they were lucky cause they woulda been pulled out past alcatrez thats how strong the rip is.
LFADAM

City: New York City

PostPosted: Jun 05, 2007 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ripperchick, our lake is up to 200ft deep. 2 options:
a.) buy more rope/chain.
b.) wait until you are closer to shore (where its shallower) and then drop anchor
ripperchick
Outlaw
Outlaw

PostPosted: Jun 05, 2007 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ahh, the second one would work. smart answer once again. I bet you're that guy who is always prepared for an emergency.

Def wouldn't want that much rope in my boat to drop anchor in 200 ft water tho.
Rhawn
Wakeboarder.com Freak
Wakeboarder.com Freak

City: Richmond, V to the Izzay

PostPosted: Jun 06, 2007 5:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been towed in twice in my old boat, and I'd return the favor if given the chance. Boaters around here are super friendly, luckily.
OuachitaWaker
Addict
Addict

City: Hot Springs

PostPosted: Jun 06, 2007 6:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

one time we just got out ropes and paddles, friends would take turns doggy paddle style with a rope in their hands (rope is tied to the boat) and the others would paddle in the back. I think we went about a mile like that, wind was on our side too and we had a full chest of beer so we actually had fun doing it.

Good times
Hollywood

City: Door Knob

PostPosted: Jun 06, 2007 6:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is why big lakes scare me. I like the comfort of knowing I can float into someones dock and walk on shore to get my pontoon boat, or just walk the boat back to the dock.
Tyler T
Wakeboarder.com Freak
Wakeboarder.com Freak

PostPosted: Jun 06, 2007 7:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ripperchick wrote:
Ahh, the second one would work. smart answer once again. I bet you're that guy who is always prepared for an emergency.

200 ft. of rope isn't that much. It could all fit under 1 seat.

I once paddled a 19' bayliner (-)50 ft upstream on the Columbia in about an hour with a plastic yard rake before someone stopped to help us.

True story.

Care to have a listen?

Last edited by Tyler T on Jun 06, 2007 8:45 am; edited 1 time in total
jjaszkow
Wakeboarder.Commie
Wakeboarder.Commie

City: Some Airport

PostPosted: Jun 06, 2007 7:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The one time I was stranded on water, we had black smoke coming out of the engine compartment due to a melting hose. We had at least 3 boats pass us and just wave. Fortunately we were able to get back to shore eventually, but there's no way that I could notice that and not at least shout over and ask if everything was alright.

End result ... we didn't buy that boat. Sucks to have it happen during a test drive ... but I would imagine it's not nearly as bad as just after the purchase.
J.M.B
Soul Rider
Soul Rider

PostPosted: Jun 06, 2007 7:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tyler T wrote:
ripperchick wrote:

200 ft. of rope isn't that much. It could all fit under 1 seat.

I once paddled a 19' bayliner -50 ft upstream on the Columbia in about an hour with a plastic yard rake before someone stopped to help us.

True story.

when i got stranded i just tied off a rope to the bow, dove in and put it in my teeth the pulled the boat with my powerfull breath stroke all the way to shore!! true story!
Tyler T
Wakeboarder.com Freak
Wakeboarder.com Freak

PostPosted: Jun 06, 2007 8:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

J.M.B. wrote:
true story!

Liar!!!

Care to have a listen?
Commodore
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

PostPosted: Jun 06, 2007 8:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

200ft of anchor line isn't much. I have two anchors with 150 each on them.

As for being towed. If you boat enough, you will need to be towed in. It's a fact. I've been towed in, and I've towed in tons as well. Karma works kiddies. I have never had to wait more than 5 minutes for a tow when I needed it. The good thing is, with more experience comes the need for less and less tows.
J.M.B
Soul Rider
Soul Rider

PostPosted: Jun 06, 2007 9:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tyler T wrote:
J.M.B. wrote:
true story!

Liar!!!

if popeye can do it why cant i!!! Very Happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wakeboarder Forum Index -> General Wakeboarding Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Add To Favorites

Jump to: