Wakeboarder Forum Index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   StatisticsStats   FavoritesFavorites   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages  Log inLog in 
BlogsBlogs   

Horrible Ankle, what bindings

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wakeboarder Forum Index -> General Wakeboarding Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bizzuck
Addict
Addict

PostPosted: Jan 18, 2003 9:31 pm    Post subject: Horrible Ankle, what bindings Reply with quote

sup guys, good to be back here,,,, my ankle is trashed, and has been for a while. i taped it up all of last year, but that got real old and destroyed my bindings.... im a size 10.5 and was thinking about some medium 03 byerly's.... anybody know about the new boa sys? and how about the medium size for my foot? thanks for all the help fellas holla

better a bass boat than a no boat

www.atlwake.com
Jim M
Wakeboarder.com Freak
Wakeboarder.com Freak

PostPosted: Jan 19, 2003 10:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Check out the 02 and 03 OBrien System, I would recommend that over any binding in the Hyperlite line if you need more support. The System has very high and tight ankle support b/c of the high laces. I rolled my ankle last summer and got a new pair of Systems from warranty soon after, they are very solid and seem to keep my ankle much more stable. I wear sz 11 and the XL's fit perfect. You could look at L, the overlays are adjustable. Its an expensive binding but its high-end all the way, huge footbed and great foot support.
Jam
Outlaw
Outlaw

City: Indy

PostPosted: Jan 19, 2003 10:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have very bad ankles also I wear obrien plush pros, with ankle braces, check out the active ankle brace it is pretty nice.
RUSSIAN
Wakeboarder.com Freak
Wakeboarder.com Freak

City: NOR*CAL

PostPosted: Jan 19, 2003 11:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bizzuck, I have wrecked ankles from skating. I ride the 01 byerly with 02 overlay's, they work really well cause there real stiff, I've seen the byerly's with the boa and they look great, real easy to get out of. you should also check out the highbacks, they have real good support also.

K-dub wrote:
DRAGON88, everyone shall now call you Tinkerbu'....
WakeMeUp
Outlaw
Outlaw

City: Sherbrooke, Qc

PostPosted: Jan 19, 2003 3:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

look for something with good support but ease of entry... maybe something with snowboard style ratchet would fit you best cuz they are the easiest to get into and offer some great support... it depends on your budget... maybe the O'brien Plush pro or the Nice PRS1 or Scarecrow... even the new CD binding that may be pretty much what you're looking for... but whatever you buy, try it before and get the feeling...
ghettolake415
Addict
Addict

City: College Location: Orlando / Hometown: Sarasota

PostPosted: Jan 19, 2003 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

if ur ankles r bad then HL Highbacks. they give really good support. danny harf has bad ankles and that's what he uses.

I'm putting Salt in every lake in the world!!!!!!!!!! Except mine....

Representing: UCF Wakeboard Team & Lake Price
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
BR_WB
Wakeboarder.com Freak
Wakeboarder.com Freak

PostPosted: Jan 19, 2003 4:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was at the Memphis Boat Show this past weekend, and I met the new Hyperlite rep, Jeremy Baker, who took over Gary Morrisons position cause he went to Malibu. Anyhow, I talked to Jeremy about the new BOA system, and I was actually quite impressed. I am actually thinking about getting a pair of '03 Byerlys. It has a circular knob on the back that pops in and out that is sort of a rachet system which is connected to what appared to be wire (not sure what it's made out of) that is really strong. Me and my friend were testings it's limits and were trying to see how tight it would go haha and we didn't even come close to breaking it. Also, I was worried that it would pop out while riding, but it's not possible, because it take a good amount of pull to release it (which is good) and it's nice how you can tighten or loosen it while you are riding because it can easily be done with one hand.
Later,
Brad
jjakober
Outlaw
Outlaw

City: Otis Orchards WA

PostPosted: Jan 19, 2003 8:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like the others have said the O'Brien System bindings have a very high wrap that provides great ankle support.

Check them out.

Later,
jjakober
ohsix
PityDaFool Who Posts This Much

PostPosted: Jan 19, 2003 8:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last edited by ohsix on Jul 18, 2012 11:18 am; edited 1 time in total
bizzuck
Addict
Addict

PostPosted: Jan 19, 2003 8:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

has anybody ridden the new byerly bindings.... what about the cwb vibes, how are they? Jam, you wear ankle braces inside of your bindings? that would be cool, other than having two different size bindings... having bad ankles sucks.

thanks for the help guys

www.atlwake.com
jaysunn
Criminal
Criminal

City: ATX

PostPosted: Jan 20, 2003 7:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bizzuck, You said taping your ankles trashed your bindings, how? I just bought the 03' Byerly's, I haven't got to ride them yet. I have a plate and 6 screws in my left ankle. I bought these bindings in hope the would help, and I was gonna start taping my ankle up this season, any suggestions?

Last edited by jaysunn on Jan 20, 2003 4:15 pm; edited 1 time in total
ATLwake
Criminal
Criminal

City: Duluth/Athens

PostPosted: Jan 20, 2003 9:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The BOA is a cool system, you can tighten it with one hand while riding. In order to loosen it you have to pull the knob out which completley loosens binding, then you'll have to tighten it up again. Another problem with the system is that it take 16 turns to take up all that cable. What a hassle, it needs to be more like 2-3 turns. btw the cable is stainless steel according to theHL site.
bizzuck
Addict
Addict

PostPosted: Jan 20, 2003 4:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the tape worked great, but when it rolls up the inside of the tape gets all over the inside of the bindings,,, i got lucky though, on a hard wreck i bent my base plates and hyperlite redid the entire boot.

tape works great, but your gonna have to shave your legs, and it will trash the bindings.... how long before you ride the new byerly's jayson?

www.atlwake.com
jaysunn
Criminal
Criminal

PostPosted: Jan 20, 2003 4:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I won't be rididng on them till March probably, It will take me that long to finish restoring my boat. So the only thing the tape does is get the bindings all gummed up from the adhesive right? Or does it do more damage than that. If that is all it does can't you use some adhesive remover to clean them out. Also what kinda wipeout bent your binding plates?!
Scotty

City: Perth, Western Australia

PostPosted: Jan 21, 2003 1:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

maybe i should get some of those obriens that your talkin about, cos lately ive been trying a backroll (and gettin pretty close i might add Very Happy ) and ive been landing kinda curled over, so putting alot of stress on my ankles, which in turn made me have to miss out on my next ride. currently i have CWB Mobes, how good are they on the ankle safety rankings?
bizzuck
Addict
Addict

PostPosted: Jan 21, 2003 10:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i never thought about adhesive remover, but it would probobly work,,, raley got the base plates... talk about suck, my back hurt for a week.

www.atlwake.com
Jim M
Wakeboarder.com Freak
Wakeboarder.com Freak

PostPosted: Jan 21, 2003 10:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here are the OBrien Systems, I highly recommend them and actually went to them from 2002 Belmonts (ever heard of that!!). They feel like extremely comfortable snowboard boots, you can get the laces real tight for increase heel lock and ankle support, or you can leave them a little loose for more of a freestyle feel, but still you stay very locked in.

[/code]
jaysunn
Criminal
Criminal

PostPosted: Jan 21, 2003 12:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are these boots for a bent knees style of riding like Byerly's or upright style like the Belmonts?
Jim M
Wakeboarder.com Freak
Wakeboarder.com Freak

PostPosted: Jan 21, 2003 1:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very slight forward lean, not as extreme as the Byerly's. Get the laces tight and you don't have as much mobility, but very strong support. They offer a comfortable stance, like I said I think they feel even more form-fitting than the Belmonts.
bizzuck
Addict
Addict

PostPosted: Jan 21, 2003 9:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sweet pic... im gonna have to look into those.

www.atlwake.com
Maestro

City: Markham

PostPosted: Jan 21, 2003 9:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Personally I didn't like the Systems... they definitely have good support though! I just didn't like how extremely tight they were on the lower part of your foot... and if you ride the large or xls on a narrower board the footbed rises up and down which annoyed me... personally I prefer my Belmonts, but that's not saying the systems aren't good... You just have to try them for yourself and see how you like them.
fs04laoaksfny
Soul Rider
Soul Rider

City: Southbridge

PostPosted: Jan 22, 2003 7:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ive got some 3060s 02s that is...and my friend has a bad ankle and hes used them a few times so they cant be too bad...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Fauker
Soul Rider
Soul Rider

City: Charlotte

PostPosted: Jan 22, 2003 7:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

"raley got the base plates... talk about suck, my back hurt for a week."

Yeah, I saw that one live Laughing

WakeMeUp
Outlaw
Outlaw

City: Sherbrooke, Qc

PostPosted: Jan 22, 2003 8:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm riding on LF ultras, and I like those because they are light, confortable, simple(no laces or rachet or velcros), and give great ankle mobility... and when I want support, I just add an old set of pro-suction velcro strap that i slide under the loop strap sewn to the underlay...

simple is better...
bizzuck
Addict
Addict

PostPosted: Jan 22, 2003 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wakemeup... im not looking for ankle mobility, that is what i dont want

www.atlwake.com
Iman
Outlaw
Outlaw

PostPosted: Jan 22, 2003 8:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My ankles have gotten much better the last few years using HL Highbacks. If I was buying new though those Obrien Systems look to go pretty high too, I'd try both those and see which fits best.
B-rad
Wakeboarder.Commie
Wakeboarder.Commie

City: Dallas

PostPosted: Jan 23, 2003 12:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would say anything like the system, exo sucs, highbacks, or byerly's. They all go up decently high and have good support. I would also sugest something with laces that way you can tighten them to support your ankles. I like the exo's and systems the best.

Caretaker of the offical AGB beer mug
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wakeboarder Forum Index -> General Wakeboarding Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Add To Favorites

Jump to: