Wakeboarder Forum Index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   StatisticsStats   FavoritesFavorites   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages  Log inLog in 
BlogsBlogs   

Hours

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wakeboarder Forum Index -> Wakeboard Boat General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jeff
Addict
Addict

City: Long Island

PostPosted: Jan 21, 2003 7:05 pm    Post subject: Hours Reply with quote

How many hours is too many, how maney hours will an engin last before needing a rebuild
hazza_35
Criminal
Criminal

City: kerang

PostPosted: Jan 21, 2003 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

a boat motor will usually last about 400hours before somthing major happens, but little niggles will occur at about 70hour mark and then on occasionaly

RIDE ON BUDDY!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
BMontgomery
Criminal
Criminal

City: Baytown,TX

PostPosted: Jan 21, 2003 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you take care of your engine,you should get far more than 400 hrs.Little things will always need replacing though.Even if your motor does go bad,it doesn't take long to rebuild one, you just need a place to do it.I rebuilt mine over the Christmas holidays and put GT-40 heads,new intake,rings,etc., just because I was bored! I took it out yesterday and it ran great!
msimpson
Soul Rider
Soul Rider

City: Jamestown, Ohio Shawnee Lake

PostPosted: Jan 22, 2003 9:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have 1200 on my 93 nautique. I change the oil every 50hrs. Never a problem!

Don't let yourself get old, and say "I wish I would have...."
fs04laoaksfny
Soul Rider
Soul Rider

City: Southbridge

PostPosted: Jan 22, 2003 10:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yea im looking into a 02 air its got like 375 hours on it and its going for about 34grand 2much or ok?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Breezer
Outlaw
Outlaw

City: Austin

PostPosted: Jan 22, 2003 10:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My boat has about 220 hours and all I have had to do is replace the starter cylinoid.

I change the oil every 50 or so hours, have changed transmision fluid, and replace the impeller every season. ---- all are preventitive maintanence.

Oh yea, I had to tighten the packing once. No big deal though.

Any boat you get will be constant little things. If you learn how to do the stuff by yourself, you will not think of it as any thing at all.
NAW
Wakeboarder.com Freak
Wakeboarder.com Freak

City: Chicago-ish

PostPosted: Jan 22, 2003 10:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

almost 700 hrs on the ole' '99 MC 205. Changed the oil and impellar (once) and never a problem.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
Jeff
Addict
Addict

PostPosted: Jan 22, 2003 2:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BMontgomery how much did it cost for u to rebuild, and whered u get parts from
Alan Whitaker
Outlaw
Outlaw

City: Whiteland

PostPosted: Jan 22, 2003 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That like saying Im 6 foot, white, and right handed NOW what size shoes do i wear? Razz

It's like anything it depends mainly on how well you care for it.
100 hrs. is easy to put on a engine in one year.

George
Addict
Addict

City: Chattanooga

PostPosted: Jan 22, 2003 4:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We put 280 hours on ours and not a problem at all. Change the oil every 50 hours and tranmission fluid every 100.

www.soddyriders.tripod.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
bizzuck
Addict
Addict

PostPosted: Jan 22, 2003 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mine shows 870, but the guy i bought it from says that he left the switch on..... dont know if i buy that stuff. it runs great, but when i bought it i didnt know hardly anything about it....... turns out trailer is a pos the leaf springs were broke on it and i drove it home- about 6 hrs away, what a dick i bet he had no clue........ thx sandy!!!

who would care im just a punk college boy

www.atlwake.com
Partyb
Wakeboarder.Commie
Wakeboarder.Commie

City: Lantana, FL

PostPosted: Jan 22, 2003 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think a properly maintained engine should last way more then 400 hours. this is a better question to ask a mechanic. You just need to maintain it like people are saying, change the oil every 50 hours. I would not have a problem buying a boat with 400 hours on it. I know someone with a 2000 malibu which has 1100 hours on it already. They drive it hard too and the engine is fine. Also, do not drive like a knuckle head. Especially over-reving. Inboards are not meant to drive at full rpm like an outboard or bike is. I personally never drive mine over like 30-35 mph, no need for it.
BMontgomery
Criminal
Criminal

PostPosted: Jan 22, 2003 9:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jeff--I spent about 600 to rebuild mine.That is with high performance parts. There is a place here in Houston called Palmer Power that has everything for inboards at wholesale prices. And their staff is awsome,they'll give you tips and tell you tricks to use when installing.They actually are Boat US's supplier for parts. I was lucky and found two rebuilt gt-40 heads at a trans. rebuild shop here.
bizzuck
Addict
Addict

PostPosted: Jan 24, 2003 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i would like to recant the 'dick' part of my previous post, just sucks when it cost you bunch of money to get something fixed

www.atlwake.com
billm
Soul Rider
Soul Rider

City: TX

PostPosted: Jan 24, 2003 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hazza are you high 400hrs is alot !??I have about 350 on my 2000 Launch and have no engine problems i think you can put 1200 or more before you even have to think about rebuild..If you take care of it it will go beyond that..most harcore riders are putting 150 or more hours a year ...375 isnt much go for it..

Lata

Bill
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
BillJ
Wakeboarder.Commie
Wakeboarder.Commie

City: San Diego

PostPosted: Jan 24, 2003 7:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've put 240 hours on my 2002 Tige 20v in 8 months - not a single problem with the engine. I get it serviced regularly of course - it's still under warranty. I'm expecting it to last WAY more than 400 hours!

I've heard people compare 1,000 on a boat to 100,000 miles on a car. Not really a fair comparison, but there is some truth to it since both indicate relatively high usage.
King of the Tigers
Wakeboarder.Commie
Wakeboarder.Commie

City: Mesa, Az

PostPosted: Jan 25, 2003 7:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think Hazza might have a Mastercraft, then 400 would make sense. My 88 Nautique has about 700 and has never had a big problem.
BMontgomery
Criminal
Criminal

PostPosted: Jan 25, 2003 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah--my 86 nautique has about 1200 hrs and when I recently had it apart, the inside of the engine looked very clean with nothing appearing to be worn. I just replaced the parts I mentioned for preventitive maintenance. One of my heads had to be replaced though because it had two small cracks in it. I think the cracks were a manufacturer defect because it had a thin area in there.
BugHunter

City: Palm Bay

PostPosted: Jan 29, 2003 10:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Depends on how hard you use it... If you slam to throttle to max everytime you go cruising down the lake, the engine will not be happy.

I have put 1000 hours on a Mercruiser V8 engine without any problem (in a 22' cuddy cabin) and 800 hours without problem on a Mercruiser V8 in a Tigé.
Normal 50 hour oil changes and yearly checkup. Had to replace impeller once on each engine.
Cowie
Criminal
Criminal

City: Adelaide, Australia

PostPosted: Jan 29, 2003 4:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jeff, we recently bought a new boat and spoke at length to both a mercruiser and Indmar mechanic about engine life etc. He said that the key to engine life is regular use( he reckoned 3-4 hours a week every week) and regular maintenance. ie oil change every 50 hours. He reckons if you do this a mercruiser/indmar should be good for at least a 1000 hours before needing a top end rebuild and he has seen plenty that have 2000 hours on them that havnt been opened up. He reckoned injected mercruisers were averaging around 1200-1400 hours before needing new rings and that was about it. Obviously items such as water pump impellers etc should be replaced every season as a precaution particulary with mercruisers. The key though is regular use, leaving engines sitting for long periods( 3 -6 months) apparently kills engine life by up to half. Our mechainc suggested at least idling the engine for 1/2 an hour a week if we werent using it just to keep everything going. We were suprised at how ling they should last. Smile
Romi
Outlaw
Outlaw

City: Mission Viejo, Ca

PostPosted: Jan 30, 2003 8:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have always been told that engines should have no problem hitting 2500 when properly maintained.

I know its different but my truck has 1400 hrs and 50000 miles on it.
Breezer
Outlaw
Outlaw

PostPosted: Jan 30, 2003 9:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've never heard of a car/truck with an hour meter. What kind of truck to you have Jeff?
Adam Greer
Addict
Addict

City: Camden, SC (clemson, SC during school)

PostPosted: Jan 30, 2003 9:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hit 1000hr on our 94 sport at the end of the summer
Anything worth doing is worth getting hurt for....
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Blog Visit poster's website AIM Address
Romi
Outlaw
Outlaw

City: Mission Viejo, Ca

PostPosted: Jan 30, 2003 9:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have 2000 GMC Sierra Z71 XLT. I think all Chevy and GMC trucks have hour meters now.
Breezer
Outlaw
Outlaw

PostPosted: Jan 30, 2003 11:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, that's pretty cool. An hour meter in a car would help buyers of used vehicles figure out if the miles were mostly highway or city(stopandgo) miles.
Cyclonecj
Soul Rider
Soul Rider

City: Atlanta

PostPosted: Feb 03, 2003 10:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have 387 on my 00 Toyota Epic (boat), it doesn't even need plugs until 1000 hours. It's still getting broken in, the oil stays cleaner each oil change.
Synthetic oil definitely helps, the service interval is 200 hours for my engine. I change it a bit more frequently.

Jeff
Addict
Addict

PostPosted: Feb 04, 2003 8:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Breezer, i dont drive yet im still in highschool lol, plus ny state law sux i cant drive till im 18
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wakeboarder Forum Index -> Wakeboard Boat General Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Add To Favorites

Jump to: