Wakeboarder Forum Index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   StatisticsStats   FavoritesFavorites   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages  Log inLog in 
BlogsBlogs   

What muscles do u use exactly to wakeboard.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wakeboarder Forum Index -> General Wakeboarding Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Byron

PostPosted: Apr 11, 2007 4:02 pm    Post subject: What muscles do u use exactly to wakeboard. Reply with quote

the title says everything
QNev
Wakeboarder.com Freak
Wakeboarder.com Freak

City: Kamloops, BC

PostPosted: Apr 11, 2007 4:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quads, Biceps, Triceps, Calves, Lats, Hamstrings, Forearms

You'll use more of each muscle group for different edging.

HHI Dave
Wakeboarder.com Freak
Wakeboarder.com Freak

City: Hilton Head Island, SC

PostPosted: Apr 11, 2007 4:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The one between my ears. Laughing
Blindside_137
Wakeboarder.com Freak
Wakeboarder.com Freak

City: Raleigh

PostPosted: Apr 11, 2007 4:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I belive the abdominal muscles are involved as well. And my back shoulders always hurt after riding so them too.
HHI Dave
Wakeboarder.com Freak
Wakeboarder.com Freak

City: Hilton Head Island, SC

PostPosted: Apr 11, 2007 4:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyone get sore neck muscles the day after taking a vicious faceplant?

Laughing Laughing Laughing
matt1808
Wakeboarder.Commie
Wakeboarder.Commie

PostPosted: Apr 11, 2007 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i would say core muscles are strained the most, but all the muscles Qnev mentioned are also used.
QNev
Wakeboarder.com Freak
Wakeboarder.com Freak

PostPosted: Apr 11, 2007 5:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Depends how you ride. Some complain that their lower back hurts after riding. That's just due to posture.

Shoulders, more or less help. If you ride relaxed, your shoulders don't do a lot of the work. If you're fighting a fall, then yes.

Abs - I don't think they're used as much unless you're throwing out raleys all day.

It will depend on what tricks you are doing for what muscles are used but basically for riding, it's more in the ballpark of just legs and arms.

devon
Wakeboarder.Commie
Wakeboarder.Commie

City: Ottawa

PostPosted: Apr 11, 2007 5:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

after standing up for a while my back starts to kill me. my back wasnt like this last year so i am wondering if it will affect my wakeboard and if there is any exrcises i can do to make my back stronger besides situps

Last edited by devon on Feb 28, 2009 1:18 am; edited 1 time in total
Blindside_137
Wakeboarder.com Freak
Wakeboarder.com Freak

City: Raleigh

PostPosted: Apr 11, 2007 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yea i agree QNev, I really think form and posture have a lot to do with it.
matt1808
Wakeboarder.Commie
Wakeboarder.Commie

PostPosted: Apr 11, 2007 6:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

QNev wrote:
Depends how you ride. Some complain that their lower back hurts after riding. That's just due to posture.

Shoulders, more or less help. If you ride relaxed, your shoulders don't do a lot of the work. If you're fighting a fall, then yes.

Abs - I don't think they're used as much unless you're throwing out raleys all day.

It will depend on what tricks you are doing for what muscles are used but basically for riding, it's more in the ballpark of just legs and arms.

I think you really underestimate how import core muscles are. Pretty much anytime muscles are being used the core is involved.

Think about it this way almost all the time when wakeboarding there is resistance and you are being pulled forward. What muscle group provides stability? your core. Especially when cutting into the wake you are going to be straining your core to keep your back straight and resist the pull.
Newake

City: Spa Town

PostPosted: Apr 11, 2007 6:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey about that lower back thing, that happens to me. And wow, sometimes I almost have to stop riding. Its like the lower right part of my back (I ride regular). Is it due to posture, or my binding set up on my board or what? I really have no clue what it is.
matt1808
Wakeboarder.Commie
Wakeboarder.Commie

PostPosted: Apr 11, 2007 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Newake wrote:
Hey about that lower back thing, that happens to me. And wow, sometimes I almost have to stop riding. Its like the lower right part of my back (I ride regular). Is it due to posture, or my binding set up on my board or what? I really have no clue what it is.

It can be both. How do you have your bindings set up?
QNev
Wakeboarder.com Freak
Wakeboarder.com Freak

PostPosted: Apr 11, 2007 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Newake, videotape yourself. If you look like you're bend over that could be the case. Otherwise you should just look relaxed with your bindings set just under shoulder width apart for comfort.

devon, the best thing for your lower back is like doing situps on an incline but instead you face down with your knees on these pads and you lift yourself up. It's like a reverse situp but I'm not sure what it's called. Some gyms also have back presses.

howabouttheiris
Addict
Addict

City: Austin, TX

PostPosted: Apr 12, 2007 5:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

HHIDave..... Folks at work used to know that I was wakeboarding the night before, as I was unable to look to the left for most of the next day. I had the 'W2W 180 + 90 more surface + dip the nose + violent arm swing + whiplash" working very well. We called it W2C (wake to concussion)

I find if you relax your shoulders and keep you hips ahead you end up using a lot less of most of the muscles (abs, back, shoulders, biceps, forearms). Also if you can consistently take your jumps to the downside of the wake (vs casing or flats) it will really help your legs last a long session.
tonality
Soul Rider
Soul Rider

City: DFW

PostPosted: Apr 13, 2007 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you're looking to build a workout that will help your wakeboarding, and keep it as simple as possible...deadlift, deadlift, deadlift...then do some deadlifts Smile If you toss a shrug in at the top of the movement, you'll hit almost all the important muscles used for your riding.

A really good one for your back (lower and upper) is to take an olympic bar and put an end of it in a corner of a wall, and put about 10-25lbs on one side only. Then take a handle and put it around the bar, and use it to do a semi-bent over row. You'll hurt a LOT Smile

pooser
Wakeboarder.com Freak
Wakeboarder.com Freak

PostPosted: Apr 13, 2007 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wow someone who deadlifts. i'm impressed, but if you can do shrugs with the weight you are deadlifting you are either not deadlifting enough weight or your traps are way out of proportion. bent over rows are another good one for riding.

working out in the gym is not the same as the work out you get on a wakeboard. just do some good compound lifts in a gym to maintain an overall fitness, squats, rows, chins, bench and shoulder press, and deadlifts.
Anthony Csogor
Outlaw
Outlaw

City: keswick

PostPosted: Apr 13, 2007 4:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

definetly the quads, and calfs. for the most part. i always sit on my board when i get lazy and tired.
hyperlitewakeboarding
Outlaw
Outlaw

PostPosted: Apr 14, 2007 10:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Squats will help alot. Do free weight squats though avoid using a smith machine or a leg press. Deadlifts will also help to strengthen your lower back and other key muscles. The people who mentioned working your core are also right, deadlifts and squats will help work your core significantly. Almost all muscles play some role in wakeboarding though so it's beneficial to work everything. An example of a solid routine would be:
Mon- Chest/Tri's
Wed- Legs
Friday- Back/Bi's

Sorry if any of this was mentioned before I didn't read every post.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wakeboarder Forum Index -> General Wakeboarding Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Add To Favorites

Jump to: