Wakeboarder Forum Index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   StatisticsStats   FavoritesFavorites   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages  Log inLog in 
BlogsBlogs   

New Speaker Box

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wakeboarder Forum Index -> Wakeboard Boat General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
George
Addict
Addict

City: Chattanooga

PostPosted: Jan 21, 2003 6:09 pm    Post subject: New Speaker Box Reply with quote

Well i just ordered a bunch of new stuff and i have to make new speaker boxes for the tower. I was using 6" PVC but i only had 2 speakers now i'll have 4 so i decided to make 2 boxes that will hold 2 speakers each. I think someone else made one just like this. I am going to fiberglass over the screen but i need something to hold the shape and that what i thought of. If any of you have fiberglassed before do you jsut do little bits at a time or a whole big section. i found o ut if i do a whole big section it sags down. any thoughts?

www.soddyriders.tripod.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
BMontgomery
Criminal
Criminal

City: Baytown,TX

PostPosted: Jan 21, 2003 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Instead of the screen you can use a sheet of light grade aluminum from Lowes or home depot. That will solve the problem with sagging.The boxes are gonna look good.Post some pics when finished.
George
Addict
Addict

PostPosted: Jan 21, 2003 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would have used a sheet of metal but its all really expensive maybe i'll go chack again.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
BMontgomery
Criminal
Criminal

City: Baytown,TX

PostPosted: Jan 21, 2003 8:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

you might try calling around to some metal suppliers and describe what you need. Chances are they'll have some scrap pieces.There is a place near my house that sells all types of metals and they're cheap.I recently built an engine stand from scraps they had for 20 bucks!
Geoff Standish
Addict
Addict

City: Calgary

PostPosted: Jan 22, 2003 7:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You are gonna have to post some pics when you're done...I wanna see how they turn out!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
kschroeder

City: Raleigh, NC

PostPosted: Jan 22, 2003 10:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Use aluminum from lowes like suggested above from BMontgomery. That is what I did. I have written a How To: doc that pretty much describes how to build them. It has pictures from an article by Ray Evans who did the same thing and wrote a doc for wakeboarder.com but I think it is lost now. Fiberglassing is tough if you've never done it before. It would suggest getting the woven cloth and cutting pieces to do the top half and bottom half, then do front and back. Here's pix of mine almost ready for the boat. Still need dynamat, speaker clamps, and wire hardware. I"m going to do the dynamat and speaker plugs tonight. I will be using ryno-gear quick release speaker clamps to attache to my tower.
kschroeder

PostPosted: Jan 22, 2003 10:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only problem with the aluminum and the way yours is designed is how you will attach it to your frame. I used a different frame design that basically has support beams on the top and bottom other than the center like yours. This made it easy to rivet the aluminum through the support beam and hold it firm. You could easily modify your existing frame to accomodate this though. If you or anyone else is interested I can email the doc to you. It is 2.3MB though so, some people may have problems recieving it.
Bo Coppinger
Soul Rider
Soul Rider

City: Chattanooga, TN

PostPosted: Jan 22, 2003 10:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kschroeder - Can you email me the instuctions. My email address is bo.coppinger@transcard.com
kschroeder

PostPosted: Jan 22, 2003 11:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bo, Sent you an email.. If anyone else want's them you can email me at kschroed@cisco.com
George
Addict
Addict

PostPosted: Jan 22, 2003 12:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wouldnt mind seeing you doc. so if you could send it. thanks wakeman3@bellsouth.net

Alan Whitaker
Outlaw
Outlaw

City: Whiteland

PostPosted: Jan 22, 2003 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great looking speakers
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wakeboarder Forum Index -> Wakeboard Boat General Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Add To Favorites

Jump to: