Wakeboarder Forum Index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   StatisticsStats   FavoritesFavorites   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages  Log inLog in 
BlogsBlogs   

Side Businesses

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wakeboarder Forum Index -> Business and Finance
View previous topic :: View next topic  
flatwaterfooter

PostPosted: Feb 26, 2007 12:18 pm    Post subject: Side Businesses Reply with quote

Does anyone have any good side buisness ideas to make a little additional money outside of your regular job. Would like to bring in a little additional money for the kids college funds.
Jeff206
Wakeboarder.Commie
Wakeboarder.Commie

PostPosted: Feb 26, 2007 8:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

drugs?
jhilly8982
Addict
Addict

City: Northville

PostPosted: Mar 13, 2007 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

are you very handy. what i did during my college summers aside from a 9-5 was seal garage floors with epoxy. This is a new trend and service that home depot offers for around $3 usd per square foot and the average two car is around 400-500. what i did was drop off fliers in mailboxes in neighborhoods offering free quotes. I guaranteed to under estimate other companies and usually charged $1-1.50 per sq ft. = $500 profit.

Expenses- 2 gallons of epoxy mix, 45 per gallon = $90
Brushes and extended roller = $20
$30 misc. expenses, gas, painters tape, brooms(reusable) gloves etc...
$30 cost for 500 fliers printed out at staples, kinkos etc...

Time to complete 3 days 2-3 hours per day time spent = 6-9 hours for $500, i made around $4K leisurely doing this in 3 months. Also with elderly couples it led to me doing more handy work around their house...not just handy work but major jobs that they have looked elsewhere to have done.

You need a power washer as well.

If you buy the epoxy kits is tells you step by step how to apply the epoxy.

Also a it is good to do you own garage first, take pics and show customers.
Wakebrad
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

City: Dallas

PostPosted: Mar 14, 2007 5:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I build webpages... but it's got kind of a steep learning curve.
ontrider
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

City: Russia

PostPosted: Mar 14, 2007 6:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wakebrad, are you being serious? I agree with you that 'proper' websites have a steeper learning curve, but it's frustrating because a lot of smaller business pay for $300 hack jobs and no expertise on the other end. They also like to get 'something' for 'nothing'! Confused
Wakebrad
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

PostPosted: Mar 14, 2007 6:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ontrider, yeah. I usually do higher technology websites with people who understand they can't spend a couple hundred bucks to get what they want. I'm not very good at getting the visual appeal right on the first try so the more backend work the better for me. Although I mainly look for sites where I can build some equity. I don't need the extra cash, but I like building things that could pay off in the future.
ontrider
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

City: Russia

PostPosted: Mar 14, 2007 7:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wakebrad, that's cool. I'm pretty much the opposite of you... more front-end and try to avoid the backend stuff... as you know since I've come to your for SQL stuff. Laughing Extra spending cash is not really needed, but is good to have around, but I have been doing a few lately where I've done kind of a trade off for services depending on the company. I also stay away from any low budget stuff now. People with less money to spend want too much and are the most picky about their websites! PITA. You have to add AST (door knob tax) to their bills.
Wakebrad
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

PostPosted: Mar 14, 2007 12:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I come up with a design in my head it always looks good. Then when I put it on the screen it looks like crap. I usually have to revise it at least twice and sometimes have to re-design the whole thing. I've been working with my brother-in-law on some websites and he's really good at the visual stuff so I haven't had to worry about it. So yeah, if you need any backend help let me know. I can always use a new wakeboarding DVD Wink

I do java/DB2 at work and .Net/SQL at home.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wakeboarder Forum Index -> Business and Finance All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Add To Favorites

Jump to: