Wakeboarder Forum Index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   StatisticsStats   FavoritesFavorites   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages  Log inLog in 
BlogsBlogs   

Backroll or Tantrum?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Wakeska89

City: Rockford

PostPosted: Aug 19, 2007 7:23 am    Post subject: Backroll or Tantrum? Reply with quote

I have tried a tantrum quite a bit of times and came pretty close to landing them, but i see alot of posts about people trying backrolls as their first inverts. Which ones easier, a tantrum or a backroll?
michigan boarder
Soul Rider
Soul Rider

City: MI

PostPosted: Aug 19, 2007 8:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

it depends on you. One isn't necessarliy easier than another. If you can do backflips on a tramp or off of something I'd go with a tantrum otherwise try a backroll, but honestly it's all personal preference.
colefooter
Wakeboarder.com Freak
Wakeboarder.com Freak

City: Fairborn, OH.

PostPosted: Aug 19, 2007 3:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try both, neither of them will hurt too badly if you crash so you can't go wrong.
flounderbout
Outlaw
Outlaw

City: London

PostPosted: Nov 14, 2007 7:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hahaha. That last post is such a lie!
I landed a back roll first, and am just starting to get them consistent. Took me a good while though, and some of the crashes were sick. I tried my first tantrum at the weekend though, and landed my second attmept clean. So I am thinking that maybe they are a bit easier. You are less likely to catch a sick front edge landing tantrums too...
dan.smith
Criminal
Criminal

PostPosted: Nov 14, 2007 9:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tried over 60 backrolls until I finally landed my 1st (2 weeks ago, in fact). I tweaked my knee a few times coming around revert (unintentionally), had a few board ejections, but all in all, falls weren't that bad.

I tried a tantrum a few times in the middle of the year when I temporarily gave up on the backroll. While I only tried it 4 times, I felt like I could land one easier that a backroll. However, IMO, the falls hurt more, but only if you under rotate (i.e. fall on face). Why I didn't continue trying them, I don't know. Maybe because I'm a pu$$y.

Also, I know a few people who have blow knees out from a tantrum...not that you can't on a backroll, its just that I don't know anyone who has.
OuachitaWaker
Addict
Addict

City: Hot Springs

PostPosted: Nov 14, 2007 10:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I went with the backroll first, because the pop on a tantrum is tricky to get dialed in

the backroll was very easy for my first invert, just roll off the wake - eventually you will figure out how hard you need to throw it and how long to delay before throwing it.

Just make sure you commit to which ever you try
flounderbout
Outlaw
Outlaw

PostPosted: Nov 14, 2007 10:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's a couple of backrolls and my first tantrum from the weekend. http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=7236258413594982411
The video I wanted to upload is playing up, but is a very good example of how backrolls can really peel your eyelids back... Smile
flounderbout
Outlaw
Outlaw

PostPosted: Nov 15, 2007 6:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-1264262602162528344
The joys of catching a front edge landing a backroll...
OuachitaWaker
Addict
Addict

City: Hot Springs

PostPosted: Nov 18, 2007 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the first one where you start to go to revert sucks, i do that every now and then when i throw a backroll and i dont know why i do it, even if i hold on with 2 hands like you do i will still go to revert every now and then
michigan boarder
Soul Rider
Soul Rider

City: MI

PostPosted: Nov 18, 2007 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used to go to revert even with both hands. Don't open up your body so much. Your arms should make a triangle from your chest. This triangle should never change throughout your rotation. If you let it change you'll most likely go to revert.
colefooter
Wakeboarder.com Freak
Wakeboarder.com Freak

City: Fairborn, OH.

PostPosted: Nov 28, 2007 8:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

flounderbout, unless you half ass your backroll, you shouldn't underrotate. Some people can't figure out the rotation of a tantrum easily, so there is no reason not to try both. Backroll is a very simple rotation to understand, where as a tantrum does involve a certain amount of timing. I too landed a tantrum after two tries, but i also think that is because I had backflips on a trampoline easily.

Either way, try both. It clearly depends on the person as to which one is easier. Typically one is learned right after the other, so it really does not matter.

Also, eye peelers come with every trick.
ph wakeboarder
Criminal
Criminal

City: orlando

PostPosted: Nov 28, 2007 4:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I go to OWC and i was wondering if a back roll or a tantrum is easier of a ramp. I do the big ramp and i have never tried either, i have never even tried a backflip on a tramp but i think i can do it. Which do you think would be a good first invert to learn of a ramp. Or would a raley of the ramp be easier than both?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wakeboarder Forum Index -> Trick Tips All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Add To Favorites

Jump to: