Wakeboarder Forum Index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   StatisticsStats   FavoritesFavorites   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages  Log inLog in 
BlogsBlogs   

help me improve.

View previous topic :: View next topic  
pike1990
Outlaw
Outlaw

City: Paris Texas

PostPosted: May 19, 2003 10:29 am    Post subject: help me improve. Reply with quote

I have included some pics of this weekend. Keep in mind that this is my frist time out this year and I held back a little. These pictures are not in a series, they were taken at differnt jumps. Is there anything that I am doing wrong? What can I do to improve.

sb5.JPG

Description:
 Filesize:  36.69 KB
 Viewed:  9049 Time(s)

sb4.JPG

Description:
 Filesize:  36.56 KB

sb3.JPG

Description:
 Filesize:  36.36 KB

sb2.JPG

Description:
 Filesize:  37.38 KB

sb1.JPG

Description:
 Filesize:  37.43 KB

www.piketech.net
pike1990
Outlaw
Outlaw

PostPosted: May 19, 2003 10:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A few more pics

sb8.JPG

Description:
 Filesize:  35.73 KB
 Viewed:  9048 Time(s)

sb7.JPG

Description:
 Filesize:  37.46 KB

sb6.JPG

Description:
 Filesize:  37.69 KB

www.piketech.net
vance

PostPosted: May 19, 2003 10:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not an instructor by far but i have helped my friends with wakeboarding. One thing i have noticed is that all they want is air. Quick. so i can't tell what your appraoch looks like from the pics BUT what my friends always do is cut out and then just all a sudden haul ass into the wake and lose all control and kill themselves. you look like your under control sometimes. why are your knees sucked into your chests on some of the shots?
pike1990
Outlaw
Outlaw

PostPosted: May 19, 2003 10:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The knee question is a good question. I am not sure what was going on there. I will work on that. I will try to get some shots of my approach.

www.piketech.net
vance

PostPosted: May 19, 2003 11:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

the wake seems nice in those pics what kinda boat you got?
pike1990
Outlaw
Outlaw

PostPosted: May 19, 2003 11:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is a moomba mobius V. It has a neat plate that trims up and down and can change the shape of the wake.

www.piketech.net
vance

PostPosted: May 19, 2003 11:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

damn thats tight i wish i had a ride like that . Also dont know if it matters, but your board is the one chad sharpe used to ride last year i think. your just starting out right? not being a dick so dont take me wrong but sometimes the problems are that you have a begginer riding on a pro board. that usually doesnt mix. but hell my friends all ride my helix sometimes and they have no prob so who knows?
x2xwakegurlx2x

PostPosted: May 19, 2003 11:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

when you are going off the wake, you should be standing tall, you dont want to be bent over when your hitting it, stay on your edge, and on the landings absorb it with your knees, it looks like your bent through the whole jump...get some videos though, that would make it easier to help you though then pictures
toothpick
Wakeboarder.Commie
Wakeboarder.Commie

City: Clermont

PostPosted: May 19, 2003 12:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You land how you take off. So, you're too heavy on your back foot when you are leaving the wake. Come in with weight more even on both feet.
twitch88
Wakeboarder.Commie
Wakeboarder.Commie

City: up the hill, ca

PostPosted: May 19, 2003 12:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

make sure that you pop off of the wake it looks like you are absorbing it. If you don't feel completely comfortable on the board then just spend time riding not just focusing on jumping. If you go right to jumping you will eventually get the tar knocked out of you and you will not progress as quickly trust me i did pretty much that. it just takes time
SupraDave

City: Augusta, GA

PostPosted: May 19, 2003 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your problem is definitely with standing tall Exclamation I have a friend that used to do the same thing. When you jump don't absorb the impact of the wake with your knees. Read up on progressive edging and standing tall. If you can already jump without doing these things properly just think of what you'll be able to do when you learn it the right way!
Good Luck
SanderB
Criminal
Criminal

City: The Netherlands, Loosdrecht

PostPosted: May 19, 2003 1:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Put more weight on your front foot, also when cutting, and try to keep the handle close to your hips, this will improve your stability in the air, and increase your height.
Also what the others mentioned, try to get a progressive edge and pop off the wake (stand tall on top of the wake).
Todd Armstrong
Addict
Addict

City: Battle Ground

PostPosted: May 19, 2003 1:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

toothpick, is right even your weight out you only need to be about only 50-60% on your back foot for w2w jumps. keep the handle at your lead hip and have both your hands grabbing something either the handle or the board, no one likes watching arms flapping.

www.grizzly-sports.com
Industry Leading Sports Equipment at ROCK BOTTOM prices!
Tiffanator
Soul Rider
Soul Rider

City: Hattiesburg

PostPosted: May 19, 2003 1:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, a few tips.
1. Progressive edge, I can't stress this point enough, it is the basis of getting good, controlled height. You don't have to raley cut every jump, if you do, then you are riding with a line that is too long, or are trying too hard. Start off slow and gently build your edge into the wake.
2. Stand tall at the wake, as you are going up the wake, your legs should be going down, your hands should be going down and pulling in slightly, and your chest and shoulders should be rising. Don't "jump" off the wake, just "lift" off the wake, like you are getting out of a chair.
3. Keep both hands on the handle unless you are doing a controlled grab. As soon as your back hand leaves the handle you are off balance. The reason is that when you release with it, it immediately flies up and behind you, pulling your shoulders away from square where they should be. If you get off balance, don't let go, push the handle down towards your hips, that will lower your center of gravity and help you get your balance back.
4. Weight should be nearly equal on both feet. From the looks of your pics you are riding horribly back leg heavy. I bet your back leg aches after you ride. The more centered your weight is, the more level your board will be in the air. If you have too much weight back, you do just like you are in the pictures, pop a wheelie. Too much weight forward, which is less common, you will nose dive.
5. Relax, it looks like you are really stressing to get the air that you are getting. I know its hard, but wakeboarding is a sport of "wet noodle" mentality. You have to be relaxed in your tricks, or they will look, and feel, like its the hardest thing you will ever do.
6. Go watch a wakeboarding video of some good riders, there are plenty on this site I believe. Watch how they move their weight front to back, toe to heel to get the board to do what they want. You will also notice that they are very relaxed, smooth and tend to make everything look easy. Its not just because they have been doing it a long time, its because they are relaxed and flowing.
Ok, that was more than just a few tips. These are more general than just dealing with you, but you get the idea. If you have more questions feel free to email me tiffany@glassandpowder.com
Later

BillJ
Wakeboarder.Commie
Wakeboarder.Commie

City: San Diego

PostPosted: May 19, 2003 4:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great advice Tiffany! That's probably the best explanation I've heard - "like getting out of a chair".
Fredrick Eisenhauer
Wakeboarder.Commie
Wakeboarder.Commie

City: Australia, W.A

PostPosted: May 19, 2003 10:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's also good to have both hands on your handle, I know some of the pics you had your hands on it but it helps me stabalize myself i dunno how much it woyuld help you though... just a thought
Outlaw
Outlaw

PostPosted: May 20, 2003 7:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the pos advice. I totally agree with the fact that I am putting too much weight on my back foot. Thank you Tiffany for the excellent tips. I will try these this weekend.

www.piketech.net
J_DOGG
PityDaFool Who Posts This Much
PityDaFool Who Posts This Much

City: New Hampshire

PostPosted: May 20, 2003 8:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Exactly! relax a bit more and stand tall, all great advice.....
Slow and smooth into the wake gets you the pro type air we all are looking for....
Let the wake come to you don't chase it, get ready for it and meet it nice and relaxed with a strong edge.

Some of the best runs come from working the least....everything should flow smoothly...

Aubs wrote:
J Dogg - I thought of you last night.

"Everyone wants a bite, it don't happen over night"!
BigTimer
Soul Rider
Soul Rider

City: Rockford, MI

PostPosted: May 20, 2003 9:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

1.) Stand Tall As You Leave The Wake.
2.) Distribute Your Weight More Evenly (as stated above)
3.) Keep The Handle In At Your Hip. You Are Letting It Out In Every Picture. You Will Be Amazed At How Much This Helps. (Tension=Air).

Later...
anti-shoobies
Wakeboarder.Commie
Wakeboarder.Commie

City: Ghettoburg

PostPosted: May 20, 2003 6:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can you say Wakeboard camp??
Wake-gymnast-steve

City: Naptown, Maryland, baby!

PostPosted: May 22, 2003 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DAMN. If I had a wake like that I'd be getting like 50 feet in the air! I ride behind a 20' boston whaler. no tower, ballast, or anything. I've found that getting air is all about the approach. Get a good progressive edge in control-you will leave the wake in control. If you leave the wake in control, you will land in control. What I do is I have a bunch of wakeboard vids and I compare the pros riding and approaches to videos of myself. Its the best traing method as far as i can see.
pike1990
Outlaw
Outlaw

PostPosted: Jun 09, 2003 9:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I went to the lake yesterday and got a few pictures. Let me know if there is some improvement or let me know what I need to work on. I have been working on my weight ballance from back foot to front foot. I have been putting too much weight on my back and I did notice a difference when I evened that out. These picture are not in any order and they were all taken on different wake jumps. Also, they are all heel side jumps. I am working on my toe side jumps, but i am weak there. I should have been working on that a long time ago. Thank you

sb5.JPG

Description:
 Filesize:  36.97 KB
 Viewed:  8689 Time(s)

sb4.JPG

Description:
 Filesize:  36.3 KB

sb3.JPG

Description:
 Filesize:  36.81 KB

sb2.JPG

Description:
 Filesize:  36.45 KB

sb1.JPG

Description:
 Filesize:  37.33 KB

www.piketech.net
pike1990
Outlaw
Outlaw

PostPosted: Jun 09, 2003 9:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another picture

sb6.JPG

Description:
 Filesize:  36.15 KB
 Viewed:  8688 Time(s)

www.piketech.net
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wakeboarder Forum Index -> Trick Tips All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Add To Favorites

Jump to: