Wakeboarder Forum Index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   StatisticsStats   FavoritesFavorites   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages  Log inLog in 
BlogsBlogs   

Building a monster rail

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wakeboarder Forum Index -> Cable Parks and Slider Talk
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LakeIolaLuke
Wakeboarder.com Freak
Wakeboarder.com Freak

City: Lake Iola/Orlando

PostPosted: Sep 01, 2006 4:47 am    Post subject: Building a monster rail Reply with quote

I'm planning on building a new rail, like this

I'm worried about the strenght at the joints though

I was thinking that I could weld some angle iron to make a brace to go inside the framing, but I'm worried about rust since I can't weld stainless. I've built rails in the past, but never one this high or with this many joints. I'd appreciate any Ideas to help make these points stronger.

chavonbravo

City: Sunny

PostPosted: Sep 01, 2006 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What about those things that are used to connect joints for roofs??? those metal things you place on both parts of the joint then nail. (don't know the name)
Maestro
PityDaFool Who Posts This Much

City: Markham

PostPosted: Sep 02, 2006 8:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wouldn't be too worried about it. This summer we made a 90' rail - a 24' flat section then an a-frame - not sure about the dimensions of the aframe. Anyways, it was roughly 6' off the water at the top of the a-frame, with about 2.5 feet of post under the water. All we did to make it was get the 4x4 posts in the ground, put a 2x4 outline at the top (on both sides) as a guide for the shape of the rail and throw a 2x8 along the top of the 2x4s. As you can see from the picture we had a couple small 2x4 braces on the flat, but that was it. We rode it for a month and a bit and it was just as solid when we tore it down as when we first hit it. If you have any questions feel free to shoot me a pm. Good luck!
LakeIolaLuke
Wakeboarder.com Freak
Wakeboarder.com Freak

City: Lake Iola/Orlando

PostPosted: Sep 03, 2006 11:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maestro, Looks like you had a pretty slick material on top. What is it? I found UMHW at an airboat shop, but I don't know if theres another material that works better....
Maestro

PostPosted: Sep 04, 2006 8:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, it is pretty slick. It's some kind of PVC sheeting originally used under skatelite to dampen sound at a skatepark. I think it's also pretty much the same stuff as they use for hockey boards at hockey rinks. I was used to hitting rails with trex as the sliding material, so this was pretty tough to get used to at first, but once you get the hang of it it's pretty nice to slide - it lasts and doesn't do much damage to boards.
Pause Game

City: East Aurora

PostPosted: Sep 05, 2006 11:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

maestro- is that year set up year round? If it is How deep is the water cuz where i live i have to remove everything cuz of ice in the winter and my lake gets to deep to fast to build any thing but a floating rail
Maestro

PostPosted: Sep 05, 2006 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pause Game - no, it was only in the water for about a month. It's in about 18" or 2' of water - pretty shallow.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wakeboarder Forum Index -> Cable Parks and Slider Talk All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Add To Favorites

Jump to: