Wakeboarder Forum Index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   StatisticsStats   FavoritesFavorites   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages  Log inLog in 
BlogsBlogs   

riding my husband's board

View previous topic :: View next topic  
mess

PostPosted: Aug 18, 2006 9:43 am    Post subject: riding my husband's board Reply with quote

OK,

I have been wakeboarding about 4 years now, and all this time I've been riding the same board as my husband. He is 220 lbs with size 10.5 feet so that means our board is biggish (140cm) and so are the bindings (my feet come right out most times I fall). I was wondering what kind of differences I will likely notice if I get my own board. I am 5'9" and 150 lbs with size 8 feet.

Also any suggestions on boards or bindings would be great. Right now I love that I don't need to use any lube to get into the board, but from what I've read on the forums for the last week or so (just joined) I might be way better off with a proper sized board and binding. I am also wondering if it's important to go with a ladies board, or if there are good shorter mens/kids boards that are the same? I have 2 boys ages 9 and 11 who are just getting interested in wakeboarding, and I was thinking they might be able to use my board too (their feet are almost my size, but obviously their weight is way less) - but good luck getting them on it if it's pink and girly!!! Wink

manda

City: The Land Down Under

PostPosted: Aug 18, 2006 6:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hey hey
yeah its important that you get a board that is right for you other wise injurys might come thick and fast and progression might be a little slow!! you could try a 134/136 sized board!! the 07 range is pretty good for the girls but in saying that most of the girls boards are the mold of the guys board.... ie cadence is the substance... its personal preferance though!! bindings...well my fave are the shanes but i will be checking out the melissa boots in 07!! the boys will def be against anything pink...you might be able to pick a 2nd/3rd hand board for cheap that will do them nicely...bear in mind though they will grow out of these so heaps expensive stuff for them might be pointless...

hopes this helps...good luck n ride on
manda

mess

PostPosted: Aug 21, 2006 10:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks manda.

Yeah, I was thinking of the same size range for me. Right now we have a hyperlite motive 140 with hyperlite bindings (can't remember the type). Before that we had a CWB board, and it was a 140 too. My husband got some small bindings and put them on our old board, and that's what my 9 year old got up on this summer. But a 9 year old riding on a 140 is pretty crazy. He's not really trying anything yet though, so I guess it's ok for just touring down the center of the wake and getting a feel for things. It looks like my 11 year old might be the mavrick of the family, cuz he wants nothing to do with boarding. He's a skier in the winter and he wants to ski behind the boat too. The only thing is, we don't know many people who ski, and we want to find someone to eventually help him learn to slalom ski. Ah well - it will happen when he's ready, I'm sure - my husband can do the 1 ski thing well enough to get him started.

Thanks for the tips on the bindings. I will check out the shanes - seems like a lot of people like that as an option.

Jess

khill12
Outlaw
Outlaw

City: Madison

PostPosted: Sep 04, 2006 10:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would go with a 136
Grace B.
Wakeboarder.Commie
Wakeboarder.Commie

City: OR/WA

PostPosted: Sep 04, 2006 8:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would reccommend anywhere from a 134-136 as far as board size goes. Its all really a matter of personal perference, if you can a good idea is to demo a couple boards to see which one you like best and what size you like. Like manda said the women's boards are the same shape as the men's board just with girly graphics. So it doesn't really matter if you go with a men's or women's board. As far as bindings go I got a pair of Liquid Force Watsons at the beginning of the summer and I LOVE them. Definitely reccommend them, the most comfy bindings I have owned and so easy to get in and out of. Hope this helps, good luck!
mess

PostPosted: Sep 05, 2006 7:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well over the weekend I was able to demo a 2006 O'Brien Atla (136) and I love it! I probably won't be able to ride it again until next season, but I'm putting it on layaway, and paying over the winter... Now I just have to decide what bindings to get...

The only local store only has a few hyperlite bindings and no ladies bindings at all - so I think I'll be heading out of town to check a few options out in the spring. Saving my dollers I guess!!

wakeopp

City: Concord

PostPosted: Sep 05, 2006 7:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also used my husband's board for a few years. I got used to it and it seemed fine. But one time, my husband tightened up the bindings really hard and it made a huge difference. We realized then I needed bindings that fit me well. So I got my own gear including a smaller board--134. The bindings were immediately great, but the board was an adjustment. The larger one was more stable to land, also his board had better pop. But after a few tries, I got used to it and now it seems normal. I got w2w for the first time with my new board. It helped not to be sliding around in my bindings when I landed.
Hangtime
Outlaw
Outlaw

PostPosted: Sep 06, 2006 1:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

my husband's board

I'm glad we finally got that straightened out. Smile For 3 years you've been calling it "our board." It actually worked out very well sharing a board. No one but you could tell those bindings were WAY TO BIG.
mess

PostPosted: Sep 07, 2006 7:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hangtime, Sharing a board has worked great for us too. It's not that I'm complaining - it's just that I'm finally (after 5 years of basically just coasting behind the boat) I'm trying to learn a few tricks. And I'm finding that trying to spin and play around with our board just isn't working for me. It's huge! And it doesn't offer the 'pop' that I want. ps, my husband is hoping to get himself a new board too, and we've been demoing boards all summer searching for that elusive pop. Wink

I've found the board I want. He's still unsure.

Hangtime
Outlaw
Outlaw

PostPosted: Sep 11, 2006 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now is a great time to buy new equipment. Dealers are motivated to make you a good deal. We lucked out -- if wakeopp had decided she wanted her own board at the beginning of the season, we would have paid full price. When she makes up her mind to do something...
Anthony Csogor
Outlaw
Outlaw

City: keswick

PostPosted: Sep 13, 2006 9:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmm my girlfriend has a pair of states.. i tried them on myself... and there pretty nice, and if you get last years or even this years... there cheap compared to most bindings.. and there quality bindings.
Justin 25
Addict
Addict

PostPosted: Sep 17, 2006 1:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mess, if you really need help with your son slalom skiing you can pm me. My whole family are all hardcore skiers, i'm the only wakeboarder Laughing
wakeboarder07
Soul Rider
Soul Rider

City: chattanooga

PostPosted: Sep 17, 2006 7:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hey, i'm selling my 06 eden with the bindigns here pretty soon. it's an awesome board, and the bindings are already broken in so you don't need lube and they don't dig into your calfs...let me know if your interested
mess

PostPosted: Sep 18, 2006 8:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

wakeboarder07, not sure if I'm interested or not, but could you PM me some pictures and a price? also what size are the board/bindings? and what type of bindings do you have?

Thanks.

Justin 25, Thanks for the offer. I'll try to remember next year. Our season is already over for the year, so we won't have another chance to get him up on a ski till next summer. Sure wish we had a longer season - but what do you do?

Jess

Justin 25
Addict
Addict

PostPosted: Sep 18, 2006 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alright, if you live on the lake then you can circle back by your dock (he has two skis on now) and have him drop one and someone swim out and get it. You drop one by loosening up the ski that has his back foot and he simply kicks that ski off. Then he should balance that foot and slide it into the foothold that should be at the back of the slalom ski. The slalom ski is the one with the bigger fin.

Do you want me to tell you about slalom starts? I'm not going to suggest starting off having him trying out slalom starts rather than having him drop one.

Also, how good is he? Can he consistently get in and out of the wake with on two skis? Can he go over small waves and stay up? etc. How fast are you taking him on two? Slalom skiiers go 30-35.

hyperlite love

PostPosted: Jan 01, 2007 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mess, if u would like a board like ur husbands the hyperlite divine is the same shape as the motive but in a womens size and coler
HHI Dave
Wakeboarder.com Freak
Wakeboarder.com Freak

City: Hilton Head Island, SC

PostPosted: Jan 01, 2007 10:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CWB is making a couple of hinged ladies' model bindings now. They're pretty reasonably priced too at www.buywake.com

The ease of putting hinges on is amazing compared to regular bindings.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wakeboarder Forum Index -> Ladies Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Add To Favorites

Jump to: