Wakeboarder Forum Index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   StatisticsStats   FavoritesFavorites   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages  Log inLog in 
BlogsBlogs   

College Football '06
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 38, 39, 40  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Wakebrad
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

City: Dallas

PostPosted: Jan 10, 2007 9:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jt09, do you know how great that would be? Stoops is a great coach. Have him take over for a team I love and leave a team I hate. It's a win-win situation. And with possible sanctions over the Big Red Sports thing we could watch OU football go the way of the dinosaur. Then we can get our recruits back.
jt09
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

City: Austin

PostPosted: Jan 10, 2007 9:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wakebrad wrote:
Stoops is a great coach.

Really? Good, but not great. Been BLOWN OUT in his last 3 BCS games. Won his MNC w/ someone else's players using a new/gimmick offense no one was used to yet. Yet to do anything of note w/ his own players.

I see NO reason whatsoever that he would succeed at the pro level. Especially the fact that he has very few long term assistants. Venables is pretty much it, and most land thieves are anti. His offensive system has changed at least 3 times since he has been there.

Just don't see anything in his coaching style that would lend itself to the pro game.
Wakebrad
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

PostPosted: Jan 10, 2007 10:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just to get to a BCS game this year was impressive enough with the personnel he lost on the offensive side of the ball. He had no O-line, no QB, and AD out for half the season. That was all coaching.

I wouldn't call getting beat by 1 in OT, blown out. Really, the 2 point conversion shows that OU had the better team because BSU was willing to put it all on 1 play.

He's got to be top 3 coach in the NCAA and if that's not great I don't know what is. The only people I would list definitively higher right now are Carol and Meyer.

jt09
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

PostPosted: Jan 10, 2007 10:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wakebrad wrote:
Just to get to a BCS game this year was impressive enough with the personnel he lost on the offensive side of the ball.

By Texas losing it's last 2 games? OU was the 2nd best team in the B12 until UT melted down. I agree they did a great job w/ that OL and w/ Peterson hurt. Not sure that losing Bomar was all that harmful. I liked Thompson at the beginning of last season.

He may not have been blown out against BSU, but losing to them the way they did (basically getting owned for 48 min or so, w/ 12 min of playing the way they should have) is getting blown out. Just listen to the BSU honks nationwide - they all think that game was a total blowout, not a 1 pt win.

I'd put Carroll on one level and Stoops, Tressell, Meyer, Brown and Tubberville a step below.

Regardless, I see nothing about his style that lends itself to the pro game. Personality or Xs and Os.
Wakebrad
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

PostPosted: Jan 10, 2007 10:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

I liked Thompson at the beginning of last season.

After going 1-2, losing to TCU and UCLA? I thought Thompson stunk it up in '05 and Bomar rescued the season.

jt09
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

PostPosted: Jan 10, 2007 11:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wakebrad wrote:
Then we can get our recruits back.

Can't believe I missed this earlier!!! Who is this "we" you speak of? This "we" is getting all the recruits we want!!!! Laughing

OU is sucking ass (relative to past success) in recruiting this year. Best player, and only 5*, is a JuCo (shocker! ) LB from CA. Just looking at their 4* guys, only one had an offer from y'all, none from Texas. They aren't winning very many H-H battles w/ either of us, but they do have more than normal OOS kids from states other than TX.
jt09
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

PostPosted: Jan 10, 2007 11:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wakebrad wrote:

After going 1-2, losing to TCU and UCLA?

Nah, before that. And after TX-OU. Of course, Paul is an Austin kid (and a real good guy too, by all accounts) and Rhett is a redneck f*ckstick w/ an overbearing daddy who talked sh*t on the recruiting trail. So I might be biased. A bit. But I truly never did like Bomar's style of play.

Last edited by jt09 on Jan 10, 2007 11:19 am; edited 1 time in total
goofyboy
Wakeboarder.com Freak
Wakeboarder.com Freak

City: Houston

PostPosted: Jan 10, 2007 11:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bomar took the wrap for some serious violations that occured at OU. This off season should be interesting.
Wakebrad
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

PostPosted: Jan 10, 2007 11:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

Can't believe I missed this earlier!!! Who is this "we" you speak of? This "we" is getting all the recruits we want!!!!

I meant "we" the Aggies but thanks for rubbing that in. Bastard Laughing

OU has been raiding the Dallas area for years. These were the recruits we were getting in the 90s.

Bomar is definitely a dick, but from a football perspective, in '05, OU was struggling and they finished strong once they switched to Rhett. Damn, we should have beaten those land thieves the last 2 years..

jt09
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

PostPosted: Jan 10, 2007 11:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wakebrad wrote:
OU has been raiding the Dallas area for years. These were the recruits we were getting in the 90s.

Well, FedEx IS still in business, you COULD have Dallas again if you wanted it.

Wink Laughing
Wakebrad
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

PostPosted: Jan 10, 2007 11:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jt09 wrote:
Wakebrad wrote:

Well, FedEx IS still in business, you COULD have Dallas again if you wanted it.

Wink Laughing

Good point. BRING BACK SHERRILL. That guy knew how to get recruits Laughing

senorbueno
Addict
Addict

PostPosted: Jan 11, 2007 9:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

FYI Thompson went 0-1 as a starter last year, he didn't get touches at QB against Tulsa, and if I remember correctly he didn't get any either against UCLA, that was all Bomar (who had like 4 or 5 fumbles in that game).

Against TCU, Thompson played about as good as he did in the first half of the Fiesta Bowl, then we started switching quarterbacks between drives, Bomar couldn't do any better than Thompson, we lose the game, Stoops names Bomar the starter after that, (who really wasn't showing any signs of progressing until the last couple of games, he threw only 10 td's with 10 pics all year.

Bomar really wasn't that big of a loss in terms of level of play, just leaves us with a huge question mark at the qb position in the next couple of years.
jt09
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

PostPosted: Jan 11, 2007 10:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

senorbueno, agreed on Bomar's impact felt more in the future. Thompson did fine this year. I couldn't remember the exact situation at the begining of last year, but I did know that I didn't think Thompson got a fair shake and Bomar started due to 5* potential over actual substance. Somewhat similar to Simms over Applewhite.

I wonder if you'll see a more Texas-like offense w/ Keith Nicholl coming in. What DOES y'alls depth chart look like at QB?

Wakebrad, regarding your recruiting. I'd take your 4 best signees in Austin all day long. Both the Stephens(es?), Williams and Miller are all fully legit.
Wakebrad
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

PostPosted: Jan 11, 2007 10:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jt09, those guys I am excited about, but the over-all lack of depth this class is depressing. We're getting killed in the battle for O-line. And we need some receivers bad. Damn option offense is probably killing those chances. We could really use a Tolliver or Bryant. It is nice to see some talent loaded on the defensive side of the ball. Hopefully we can figure out what to do with it. I thought Darnell had done a great job until the Holiday bowl debacle. He had no answers.
Blake
Wakeboarder.com Freak
Wakeboarder.com Freak

City: Seattle

PostPosted: Jan 12, 2007 10:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

scott a wrote:
blake- Didn't the aggsy beat you guys earlier this year?

Naw... We used strategery in this one. We just wanted to see Fran break his own record for the worse loss in aggsy bowl history. Hopefully next year you guys can pull an upset on U$C... Doubt it though.

Wakebrad wrote:
Blake, you're a quick one. .

Scoreboard: 7-12

Hahaha. Yeah, you got us. I cant make an excuse for the loss. And no, I will not blame it on a hurt Colt. We were simply out played. However, to take a jab here; I think the Cal scoreboard on you was a great way to back up that 12-7 over us.

Anywho, I know you are more then likely a nice guy that has a passion for his school... Thats gravy. Here is to the best rivalry in college football, and hope to see you guys break the top 30 in recruits, and pull off some W's on a tough schedule next year!

scott a
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

PostPosted: Jan 13, 2007 1:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Blake wrote:
Hopefully next year you guys can pull an upset on U$C... Doubt it though.
We'll see. The Tedford vs Caroll battle should be a fun one next year seeing how we're gonna be returning our QB and ALL of our receivers. Cool
Rocko
Old School Freak
Old School Freak

City: Omaha

PostPosted: Jan 13, 2007 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2007/football/ncaa/01/13/bc.fbc.alabama.applewhite.ap/index.html
goofyboy
Wakeboarder.com Freak
Wakeboarder.com Freak

City: Houston

PostPosted: Jan 13, 2007 6:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would have like to have seen him stay at Rice and maybe one day end up back at UT.
jt09
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

PostPosted: Jan 14, 2007 12:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

goofyboy, I think he knew Graham was gone and being the QB coach and get a Co-OC title at a top 20 program your 3rd year in the biz is pretty sweet. He staysw there a couple years and the offense does well, especially because of the QBs and Major will get himself a nice OC job somewhere. Kid is on one seriously fast track.
E.J.
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

City: Mogadishu

PostPosted: Jan 17, 2007 7:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Arkansas fans have to be happy about Mitch Mustain's asking to be released from his scholarship...... Laughing

I apologize in advance if this was already discussed..... I didn't read back from this page..... Confused
wakeboarderdave1
Wakeboarder.com Freak
Wakeboarder.com Freak

City: St. Thomas, MO

PostPosted: Jan 17, 2007 8:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anybody know where Mustain is going? It's kind of surprising he is leaving. I thought he would start next year after playing good in the games he was in this year. Maybe he didn't think he would get to toss the ball around enough with McFadden in the backfield.

"When you've got that many stars on your hat, you're pretty good." - Keith Jackson
jt09
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

PostPosted: Jan 17, 2007 8:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tulsa. Going to follow his HS coach. Bet on a couple more defections for the piglets soon as well.
jt09
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

PostPosted: Jan 17, 2007 10:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm seeing OU as well and that would seem to be a good fit for all. Close enough to home, big time program in a big time conference that needs a big time QB. Bonus that he has played in a spread offense and Stoops is certainly not averse to 1) that offense or 2) changing his offense every year.

Tulsa would suck for a kid w/ his talent. And w/ the things I've heard about Graham as he left Rice, I sure as hell hope he never gets any talent. What a prick. I digress.

This thing was a train wreck from the get go. Mustain certainly didn't really want to go to Arky 100% to begin with and I don't know that Nutt really wanted him. Both were under so much pressure to be together it was like a poorly arranged marriage from the old country.

Funny thing is apparently Mallett really liked the pigs but didn't want to sit behind Mitch.
derrick lenz
Addict
Addict

City: san antonio/ college station

PostPosted: Jan 18, 2007 9:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

OU is sucking ass (relative to past success) in recruiting this year. Best player, and only 5*, is a JuCo (shocker! ) LB from CA. Just looking at their 4* guys, only one had an offer from y'all, none from Texas. They aren't winning very many H-H battles w/ either of us, but they do have more than normal OOS kids from states other than TX.

jt09, how closely do you follow recruiting? OU can only take about 15 people this year due to numbers. looking at their commits its pretty damn good even compared to previous years. there's a couple recruits you wonder what they're thinking but everyschool has those.

that 5 star juco lb you talk of. PLEASE PLEASE go watch his videos. seriously this guy is going to kill someone next year.

and we've offered 3 of the 5 texas players on their commit list. rivals sucks they really don't have good info.
jt09
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

PostPosted: Jan 18, 2007 9:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

derrick lenz, I follow recruiting VERY closely. I said OU was having a bad year compared to previous years. 7 4* guys is nice, but they had 13 the year before w/ a homegrown 5*, and 14 4*s w/ 2 5* the year before.

You may be correct, but I would bet anything that 15 is NOT their limit. They have had plenty of defections, guys kicked off, etc to be able to take more. If Stoops could pull in 6 guys at the last minute I promise you there would be room.

As for who aggy has offered, I only looked at the 4*s, not the 3. aggy only offered 1 of OU's 4*s.
senorbueno
Addict
Addict

PostPosted: Jan 18, 2007 9:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We have not had a good recruiting year as JT has said. Only got one HS all-american commitment and he's from Oklahoma. But we are a relatively young team though, so we'll see how that goes.

QB depth... eh, not so good. We'll see how good Keith Nichol is in the spring game, and Sam Bradford will start to see a lot of snaps.

I'm not liking the Mustain hype, I don't know much about him, but he seems like another Bomar with his parents wanting to run the show. I hope Stoops won't tolerate another situation like that.
jt09
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

PostPosted: Jan 18, 2007 9:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

senorbueno, I don't think it's like that at all. Mustain is a good kid by most all accounts. Nutt is the one who REALLY screwed this situation up. Part of the problem is that Nutt has about as much control over his program as the guy who fills his oil at the Quik E Lube. Seriously, I think everyone in Ark has a say in what happens.

Selfishly I hope he's EXACTLY like Bomar! Laughing
derrick lenz
Addict
Addict

PostPosted: Jan 18, 2007 10:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

derrick lenz, I follow recruiting VERY closely. I said OU was having a bad year compared to previous years. 7 4* guys is nice, but they had 13 the year before w/ a homegrown 5*, and 14 4*s w/ 2 5* the year before.

i figured you followed closely. i know that my site said several times that OU would only take 15 or so. we'll see.

right now 8 out of their commits are 4 star and up. ones a kicker 2 star so really it 8/11. maybe i'm used to fran's recent recruiting to much but that doesn't sound like a drop off.

once again rivals sucks. we offered kirkindol officially and desmond jackson would have been offered but when asked about it he stated he was solid to OU and wasn't changing. so i consider that an "offer". aggies haven't offered any of the 3 stars.
jt09
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

PostPosted: Jan 18, 2007 10:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For some reason I can't pull Kirkendoll up. If Jackson wasn't offered, he wasn't offered - why doesn't really matter. I am suprised to see so few offers from Fran this year. That guy recruits like the Sigma Chis and SAEs did in college - give everyone an offer and see who comes in.

4-5*s for OU over the last 3 years: 14, 16, 8. That's a dropoff. And VERY few battles for guys UT and aggy wanted. They are feeling the ramifications of the Bomar scandal. It will get worse if the NCAA actually comes through w/ some sanctions, but I'm not holding my breath.

What site are you using?
senorbueno
Addict
Addict

PostPosted: Jan 18, 2007 3:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jt09, well that's good to hear about Mustain, like I said, all I've known about him is I've only watched one Arkansas game, and I can tell you that McFadden is pretty good but other than that...// shrugs?
jt09
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

PostPosted: Jan 18, 2007 3:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Check out this email to him:

derrick lenz
Addict
Addict

PostPosted: Jan 18, 2007 5:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

For some reason I can't pull Kirkendoll up. If Jackson wasn't offered, he wasn't offered - why doesn't really matter. I am suprised to see so few offers from Fran this year. That guy recruits like the Sigma Chis and SAEs did in college - give everyone an offer and see who comes in.

kirkendoll doesn't show an offer because he has no interest in A&M on his profile so you'll have to take my word on that one. we offered him in may of 06. got two quick wr commints and shut it down at wr except for dez bryant and terrence tolliver.

Quote:

4-5*s for OU over the last 3 years: 14, 16, 8. That's a dropoff. And VERY few battles for guys UT and aggy wanted. They are feeling the ramifications of the Bomar scandal. It will get worse if the NCAA actually comes through w/ some sanctions, but I'm not holding my breath.

This year still isn't over. they can sign more 4-5 or not so we'll have to wait until signing day but right now they have 8 4-5*s out of 13 commits. one of those commits is a 5.4 2* kicker. the highest rivals rates kickers is a 5.5 3*.

so for arguments sake and the calculations below kickers shouldn't be used when looking at 4-5*s and have been eliminated from the numbers below.

2002 = 16/23 = 69.5%
2003 = 16/23 = 69.5%
2004 = 11/18 = 61.1%
2005 = 16/27 = 59.3%
2006 = 14/28 = 50%
2007 = 8/12 = 66.7%

source: rivals.com

so when you look above OU is actually outperforming the years you quote and is actually one of their best years % wise. they didn't battle UT for recruits becasue Ut locked up their class early...rediculously early. OU has always been somewhat weary of offering juniors and prefers to wait farther into the summer and senior years of recruits. as to why fran didn't offer more? hell you got me. i have no idea.

OU does have a numbers problem this year. some evidence of this is ryan broyels, db/wr from norman and a 4*. all year he's been openly lobbying for an OU offer. finally he gives up, commits to OSU and then magically he gets an OU offer just days later. well OU was slow playing him and it backfired. they were doing this b/c they don't have the numbers for this year, had already gotten enough db's and were using broyels as a back up plan.

sure stopps would find room for stud recruits, every coach can. you've seen it with mac brown this year, i.e. gooch.

Quote:

What site are you using?

i use both texags and rivals. texags is 20 times better than rivals but they complement each other nicely. billy lucci (texags) is always on the money. he called goodson and tellus way before anyone else thought A&M had a chance. also my # quote about OU comes from lucci and confirmed by a poster named planoguy ( o OU grad who posts on texags and i've found to be very accurate and unbiased)
derrick lenz
Addict
Addict

PostPosted: Jan 18, 2007 10:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.miami.com/multimedia/miami/news/archive/audio/ChrisRainey.html

chris rainey, UF commit on the radio. sure wish flordia qould get smacked for this one. they've been coming to texas to often in the past couple of years.
wakeboarderdave1
Wakeboarder.com Freak
Wakeboarder.com Freak

City: St. Thomas, MO

PostPosted: Feb 07, 2007 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yippeeeeee Signing Day Today!!!!!!!!!!!!

"When you've got that many stars on your hat, you're pretty good." - Keith Jackson
Blake
Wakeboarder.com Freak
Wakeboarder.com Freak

City: Seattle

PostPosted: Feb 07, 2007 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Texas # 5 on Rivals... Woot!!!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wakeboarder Forum Index -> Non-Wakeboarding All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 38, 39, 40  Next
Page 39 of 40

Add To Favorites

Jump to: