Wakeboarder Forum Index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   StatisticsStats   FavoritesFavorites   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages  Log inLog in 
BlogsBlogs   

newbie questions

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wakeboarder Forum Index -> Wakesurfing and Surfing
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RC4
Outlaw
Outlaw

City: Central VA

PostPosted: Jul 20, 2006 5:26 am    Post subject: newbie questions Reply with quote

I've surfed the "traditional" way at the beach before, and it looks pretty interesting behind a boat. I was looking at my boat's wake between 8-10 mph and it looked pretty damn big with only 350lbs. of ballast and 2 people with the weight evenly distributed. I just wanted to know some basics about trying it.

1- what mph do you guys usually surf at?
2- do you want as much ballast as possible on the surfing side of the boat?
3- if I ride regular stance, should I setup on the port side of the wake?
4- do most of you start from the swim platform?
5- with deep water starts, what is the process?

Thanks. Not sure I can afford a wakesurf board anytime soon, but maybe I can find one to borrow.

Neognosis
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

City: Webster

PostPosted: Jul 20, 2006 6:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just started, and we haven't weighted the boat down yet, so I've just been casually line riding. But deep water starts are easy. Just put the board face up in the water parallel to the transom, and rest your feet on top of it with you on your back floating in the water. Tell the driver to give you a nice steady accelleration to around 10-13 MPH, and as you are pulled forward put pressure down on your feet and from there, it's just like getting up on a wakeboard, the board will push back against your feet and you stand up.

I'm new at wakesurfing, though, so take that for what it's worth.

CDawg
Outlaw
Outlaw

City: Bellevue

PostPosted: Jul 20, 2006 9:46 am    Post subject: Re: newbie questions Reply with quote

RC4 wrote:

1- what mph do you guys usually surf at?
2- do you want as much ballast as possible on the surfing side of the boat?
3- if I ride regular stance, should I setup on the port side of the wake?
4- do most of you start from the swim platform?
5- with deep water starts, what is the process?

1. We've only been out a handful of times, but between 9 and 10 mph
2. Basically yes, load down the side you plan on surfing, with the weight distributed so it's not all back in one corner. The rule of thumb, as I heard it is, more weight in the back corner makes the wave steeper, and more weight in the bow lengthens the pocket out.
3. Yes, a regular-stance rider usually rides on the port side, unless you want to ride backside with your heels to the wake.
4. No
5. Just like cameraboy said works fine. I like to get my feet on the edge of the board, laying back in the water, have the driver put it in gear which sucks the board to my feet, then have him hit it hard until we're up to surfing speed.

Good luck!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wakeboarder Forum Index -> Wakesurfing and Surfing All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Add To Favorites

Jump to: