Wakeboarder Forum Index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   StatisticsStats   FavoritesFavorites   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages  Log inLog in 
BlogsBlogs   

Changed my own oil

View previous topic :: View next topic  
boobybunny

PostPosted: Jul 19, 2006 11:02 am    Post subject: Changed my own oil Reply with quote

I called the dealer and they wanted 150 bucks to change the oil in the boat. WTF????? So I did a search on this site, figgured out that I should get a pump. I got the filter number off the filter, double checked the oil weight, and headed to the OTHER dealership in town to get my supplies.

Well, I am happy to say that $65 dollars and an hour later I changed the oil on the boat. That included the pump. This was a piece of cake, and I would not have tried it without this site.... so do I now owe Pat money????

And yes, this was the first oil change on our boat.... about 16 hours too late. Embarassed
Wakebrad
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

City: Dallas

PostPosted: Jul 19, 2006 11:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not bad at all. Although you shouldn't have to go to the dealership for the parts. You should be able to get them at any autoparts store. My dealership just told me the part number for the Fram oil filter.
Brit Rider
Wakeboarder.com Freak
Wakeboarder.com Freak

City: Cheshire, England

PostPosted: Jul 20, 2006 1:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

boobybunny, Awesome, and the best bit is now you have the pump and stuff it will be half the price when you next do it Very Happy
wesgardner
Wakeboarder.Commie
Wakeboarder.Commie

City: Severna Park

PostPosted: Jul 20, 2006 5:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ALWAYS make sure the gasket is seated properly on the oil filter.... seems there's been a rash of folks having problems either leaving the gasket off completely, installing the new one while the old one is still partially in place or some such....just make sure it's done correctly or you'll pump all your oil into the bilge - not a biggie, just double check your work

boobybunny, good on you for having taken on the task of learning something about your engine!

boobybunny

PostPosted: Jul 20, 2006 10:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

wesgardner,

I am not sure how you could screw up the gasket, it was very obvious .

I have changed my own oil in the car, but was really nervous about doing it on the boat. There is some great advice on how to on this site. I would not have attempted it without this advice.

(and yes I am proud of myself)
wesgardner
Wakeboarder.Commie
Wakeboarder.Commie

City: Severna Park

PostPosted: Jul 21, 2006 6:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

boobybunny, Just throwing it out there for ya! Like I said, good on you, it DOES provide a sense of accomplishment.

Sometimes folks rush their work and end up either not lubing the gasket before the install or pinching causing a leak...good practice says check your work.

Oh, check your trans fluid as well...

tmbrown
Outlaw
Outlaw

City: East Roseville

PostPosted: Jul 25, 2006 11:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

anyone can buy a car... the privelegded few can afford expensive boat maintenance... I'd like to feel like I earned my right to boat... I built the damned thing myself (not for lack of cash - it cost me more out of stupidity)... my experience has taught me volumes though...

Congrats for knowing enough to know when you're getting screwed.... and knowing where the time=money scale shifts....
supermanotorious
Soul Rider
Soul Rider

City: Phoenix

PostPosted: Jun 10, 2011 7:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm bringing this back up because I just bought a SeaDog pump to change my own oil, that piece of stuff didn't work at all, it just makes alot of noise, the instructions didn't say anything about priming the pump, any suggestions? I ran the tube into a bottle of oil to verify that I was getting it in oil but still nothing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
9DROZD
Outlaw
Outlaw

PostPosted: Jun 10, 2011 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just wait till you go to change the impeller for the first time. Youll feel real proud when your done. lol. But congrats. Its fairly easy changing the oil/filter when you have the right tools. I always use a big ziploc baggy when changing the filter if they are mounted normally. If they have a remote oil filter mounted upside down to the riser, you have to just be quick. But the baggy catches all the oil and filter plus its alot less messy.
supermanotorious
Soul Rider
Soul Rider

City: Phoenix

PostPosted: Jun 13, 2011 7:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

that doesnt really help, I've changed the impeller before but that's nothing to do with getting the old oil out
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
9DROZD
Outlaw
Outlaw

PostPosted: Jun 13, 2011 8:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The impeller thing was meant as a side joke. As far as getting the old oil completely out, Buy yourself a jabsco portable oil changer. Only way to do it in my book. Hop in the boat, lift motor hatch, Pull dipstick and oil cap off, Hook hose up to dipstick tube, connect +/- clamps to battery, Turn switch on and wait till its over.
pet575
Wakeboarder.com Freak
Wakeboarder.com Freak

City: Kansas City, MO

PostPosted: Jun 13, 2011 11:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Those pumps are a LOT more effective with warm oil, BTW. They take forever, and some can't do the job at all, if the oil is cold and thick.
9DROZD
Outlaw
Outlaw

PostPosted: Jun 13, 2011 11:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The one with the 3 gallon bucket and impeller pump is the one i was referring to. IDK if your talking to me or the gentleman above me. But this pump works great regardless of temp.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wakeboarder Forum Index -> DIY Projects All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Add To Favorites

Jump to: