Wakeboarder Forum Index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   StatisticsStats   FavoritesFavorites   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages  Log inLog in 
BlogsBlogs   

What's Up With My Wife??
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
KYScrilla

City: Atlanta

PostPosted: Jul 12, 2006 5:01 am    Post subject: What's Up With My Wife?? Reply with quote

Ok ladies, a little help would be great here.

So my wife introduces me to our friend's boyfriend a few years ago. She wants me to be nice to him and make him feel accepted in our group of friends. We go out on his boat the first time I meet him, and we naturally hit it off. He's a genuinly cool guy, he's also a hard core wakeboarder. I have been a skier all my life (don't hold it against me), but this guy has gotten me hooked. Fast forward to today. I am picking up the sport really fast and am addicted. Now, my wife gives me crap for being into such a "juvenile" sport and says that I am an idiot for being interested in it. WTF? She introduces me to her friend's BF, wants me to be friends with him (he and I are now really close friends) and then gives me crap for finding a new hobby. Can I not win?
criswb
Soul Rider
Soul Rider

City: Guayaquil

PostPosted: Jul 12, 2006 8:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What she probably doesnt like is the fact that you want to spend your free time wakeboarding instead of with her. If i didnt like wakeboarding I would be mad at my boyfriend as well.
Get her to try the sport, and also use some of your free time to do things with her that she likes, that way she'll be more willing to do stuff with you that you like

http://www.myspace.com/cristiamador
tk1482

City: Oslo

PostPosted: Jul 12, 2006 8:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep, like Criswb says!
You know when she asked you to make him feel accepted she probably didn't want you to spend every available minut with him. Laughing She might feel a little left out when you have found a hobby of your one. Straighten up your balance (not on the board) and give the girl some attention.
-Tine
Aubs
Motorboat Queen
Motorboat Queen

PostPosted: Jul 12, 2006 9:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

the best thing to do is get her hooked on wakeboarding. she may think its juvenille, but its an absolute blast. women are kicking @$$ now-a-days and she should really check out some of the top female boarders for some inspiration
mskier01
Criminal
Criminal

City: Dorset

PostPosted: Jul 12, 2006 9:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Even if you get her to try wakeboarding and she doesn't like it invite her on the boat. You do two things get a spotter and also you are including her in what you are doing. Then if I were you, if she spends a day out on the boat with you take her to a movie or something during the week HER choice.

She is probably just feeling left out, maybe all it will take is her on the boat not the movie. Just a thought.

NightAngel
Outlaw
Outlaw

City: Union Grove

PostPosted: Jul 12, 2006 9:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ditto on what everyone else has said. It is all about the time you spend with her. I hope you can get her hooked cause that will make a huge difference and I hardly thing that this is considered a Juvenille sport but thats just me I guess.
KYScrilla

PostPosted: Jul 12, 2006 11:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks ladies. The problem is that she's already on the boat as much as I am (we're very close to this couple). She refuses to try to board, which is odd b/c her friend just started. I don't get it. I am anything but unattentive when it comes to her. I think she's just jealous, but what do I know.
mskier01
Criminal
Criminal

City: Dorset

PostPosted: Jul 12, 2006 12:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, this maybe a long shot but maybe she would try wakeboarding if you werent around. If she was out with her friend and they had another girl driving. I have found that sometimes when it comes to new sports/activities women tend to do better and are more apt to try if they are only around women when starting.

Then she wont feel pressured. I coach alpine skiing and use to coach college lacrosse and found in the skiing the girls tended to do better then the boys werent standing there watching them.

Now I dont know you or your gf so I can't say for sure. But that might be why she is so against trying it. She is afraid to fail infront of you. Maybe if her friend convinces her to go out she will try it. You know from one woman to another sort of thing, not the boys convincing her to try.

I could be way off but thats looking at it from another angle.

Hope you can get her out on the water. I am sure she will have a good time when all 4 of you can enjoy wakeboarding together.

ozwest
Outlaw
Outlaw

PostPosted: Jul 12, 2006 2:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe she misses you skiing. If you've been a skiier most of your life you must be good and perhaps she enjoyed watching you ski...kinda' the package deal when she met you?

Does she ski, tube, or do anything behind the boat?

I like mskier01's advice of having her try it with her other female friends. Of course sometimes there are some things people just don't want to try.

One big positive part is...she may think it juvenile now but the better you become at wakeboarding the more she most likely will take notice of you.

Hope things take a turn for the better.
H20orSnowLetsGo
Soul Rider
Soul Rider

City: Coeur d'Alene

PostPosted: Jul 12, 2006 7:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wakeboarding, juvenile?? Are you sure she's from this planet?
My dream would be to find an unmarried man who's a hardcore wakeboarder.
paolad

City: San Diego

PostPosted: Jul 13, 2006 1:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, maybe she being a stubbon waterskier. Waterskiers tend to be snobbish to wakeboarding. Just like skiers are to snowboarding. As a converted skier, I love knowing both but have definitely thrown out my skis and never looked back.

I think you should let her be and she will come around. The more you bug her to try the longer it will take for her to come around.
criswb
Soul Rider
Soul Rider

PostPosted: Jul 13, 2006 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

H20orSnowLetsGo, sorry but my boyfriends taken! Very Happy
You'll find your own wakeboard addict cutie! Just look for one with a nice boat! Laughing

b_girl
Wakeboarder.Commie
Wakeboarder.Commie

City: Toronto

PostPosted: Jul 25, 2006 12:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with mskier01, maybe get her to just try it out the first couple of times with females only. It'll take a lot of the pressure to succeed off of her and she may find she enjoys it more. You mentioned that you're really close to the other couple, so maybe mention it to her friend and see if she'll help out a bit?

H20orSnowLetsGo, same here... My dream is to find a good looking single guy who's a hardcore wakeboarder (or snowboarder, or both!). Is that too much to ask?? Confused
HHI Dave
Wakeboarder.com Freak
Wakeboarder.com Freak

City: Hilton Head Island, SC

PostPosted: Jul 25, 2006 1:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My girl was definitely happy when I got the boat, but was beginning to get a little "grumbly" about all the time, effort, and money I was putting into wakeboarding. She also was very reluctant to try it herself because she was both concerned about embarrassing herself and also worried about what the other people on the boat would think (yeah, I know, I know Rolling Eyes ) Anyway, the happy ending is that this weekend she finally tried it herself (see my "Chicks Rule" thread) and I think the tide is turning. Hang in there. Cool

Hilton Head Wake Sports on Facebook
Rhawn
Wakeboarder.com Freak
Wakeboarder.com Freak

City: Richmond, V to the Izzay

PostPosted: Jul 26, 2006 7:33 am    Post subject: Re: What's Up With My Wife?? Reply with quote

KYScrilla wrote:
Can I not win?

You are married and you still don't know you cant win? LoL Newbie. Seriously, get her out there. My wife started last august and loves it. Get her on a board and get her up, and it will be a done deal.

criswb
Soul Rider
Soul Rider

PostPosted: Jul 26, 2006 8:36 am    Post subject: Re: What's Up With My Wife?? Reply with quote

Rhawn wrote:

You are married and you still don't know you cant win?

You are so right! LOL And that is the key to a happy marriage! Laughing

jennrumel

City: tampa

PostPosted: Jul 27, 2006 11:25 am    Post subject: Re: What's Up With My Wife?? Reply with quote

KYScrilla wrote:
Ok ladies, a little help would be great here.
She introduces me to her friend's BF, wants me to be friends with him (he and I are now really close friends) and then gives me crap for finding a new hobby. Can I not win?

Have you asked her? That happened to me to, and I have no idea on what I should do. I love the sport, but only know of 2 girls that like to wakeboard and we haven't really become friends yet. It sucks because I really like to wakeboard and it feels like my husband is try to talk me out of liking this sport. I wish, I knew what the h-e double hockey sticks- was going on.
Jenn
Lady Ortunas
Outlaw
Outlaw

PostPosted: Jul 27, 2006 5:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

*Contributes nothing to the discussion*

Did someone say, "hockey"?

Very Happy

aceofdimondz

PostPosted: Aug 05, 2006 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

all you gotta do is bring her out on the lake and get her hooked as well!
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

PostPosted: Aug 09, 2006 11:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you asked her why she thinks it's juvenille?

I am sooooo glad my new lady friend likes wakeboarding. Mr. Green
Kazadhum

PostPosted: Aug 11, 2006 5:46 am    Post subject: dear ladies Reply with quote

listen mate you: a) leave your wife and do wakeboarding b) learn to deal with it SHE DOESNT LIKE WAKEBOARDING c) you stop wakeboarding and die sad.

and you ladies out there.... please accept us as human beeings we are not your personal entertainment-system. I don't know this guy but I know a lot of you, and I know even if we would spent 24hours a day on you it would be to few. WE NEED TIME WITHOUT GIRLS AROUND US.

But don't get me wrong I love girls Wink

(and sorry for my bad english it isnt my mother tongue)

cheers

bigwake77

PostPosted: Aug 30, 2006 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey man I had the same problem with my girlfriend. She couldn't understand why I wanted to get up early on the weekends and go to the lake all the time in the summer. She would want to sleep till noon on days when the lakes were butter and we would fight because she coudn't understand why I wanted to take MY boat out since we just went last weekend. Needless to say she's now my ex-girlfriend. Now I know you're married, so my solution is a little extreme for your situation so try the jealousy approach on her. Start telling her how hot her friend looks when she's boarding, and how much of a turn on it would be for you if she'd try it. Yes I know i'm going to get flamed for this but 95% of women are jealous attention whores. And yes I understand that all the women here fall in that 5% who aren't.
bigwake77

PostPosted: Aug 30, 2006 8:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

oh and I'm unmarried and a wakeboarding addict for 10 years now
Justin 25
Addict
Addict

PostPosted: Sep 02, 2006 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just tell her she needs to at least try it before she can give you a hard time about it. That will *hopefully* shut her up and make her go try it.
khill12
Outlaw
Outlaw

City: Madison

PostPosted: Sep 04, 2006 10:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you can get her to just try it she would probably get hooked. She's probably worried that she's gonna embarass herself.
Tmac1
Soul Rider
Soul Rider

City: West Bloomfield

PostPosted: Sep 05, 2006 10:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In marriage -- you have to pick your battles -- this is a battle I would choose to enter the ring -- these statements by your wife sound like some jealously and insecurity. Juvenile sport and your an idiot? Laughing

You need to decide how important it is. Give her some options:

-- Does she not want you to go out on the boat at all -- or would she prefer you just skip your turn (which is a ridiculous option). I am assuming she is getting out on the water with you (not riding though)and that's her decision. If she is not coming out -- and you are spending a lot of time out there without her -- then she has a case -- and you need to make some choices.

My guess is you haven't been married very long -- less than two years?

These arguments will shape your marriage for years to come! Smile
jpk
Outlaw
Outlaw

City: Redmond

PostPosted: Sep 05, 2006 1:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Man, you just might have hit the tip of the iceberg. This lady sounds deranged, and possibly dangerous. I say dump her and hit the water with your wakeboarding buddy to find someone sane to ride in the boat with you.
shazie
Criminal
Criminal

PostPosted: Sep 05, 2006 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If she doesnt want to ride, then dont let her, unless there is a phobia or something. Like my husband, he is trying to get me to do golf, but I dont enjoy it, and I refuse to hit the greens. Sometimes I would accompany him to the practice grounds and while I enjoy my book and coffee. The more he pushes me, the more I want to stay away from it.

On the other hand, sometime he comes out and sit on the boat with me just to be part of the sport - spectator..

Since you have tried all you can already. Please put it to rest. Its not a woman/ wife issue, it is a normal human preference. Who knows, one day she will come to you and says she wants to participate. Just like my children.. The other day they say no, now they say yes. Everyone has their preference.
lostsparrow
Outlaw
Outlaw

City: Central Coast Cali

PostPosted: Feb 07, 2007 11:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ya know what's weird? In the ladies forum (i was really bored) people actually discuss the topic at hand. The other forums...someone asks a question....1 person answers....50 people flame that one person for being slightly off with the answer.

Anyways...do what i did....throw her in the lake with a wakeboard,ski vest, and rope, and tell her she's not getting back in the boat till she tries it. Very Happy

cadence_131
Outlaw
Outlaw

City: Miami

PostPosted: Feb 08, 2007 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

whoaa blast from the past here.

I wonder how he ended up in his dilema here... poor guy (And this is coming from a girl)
cwbxwakex939

City: plainfield

PostPosted: Feb 11, 2007 8:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

like they said she is probably just feeling left out
tell her how much fun it caan be and if she doesnt buy it then have try it for herself

Spack911

City: San Antonio

PostPosted: Feb 15, 2007 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Remember this......You can be Happy, or you can be right. You can never be both. That is the secret to a happy Marriage. Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing
Dave88LX
Criminal
Criminal

City: Pasadena

PostPosted: Jun 07, 2007 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think you're right about that. I'm always right, but she doesn't like that. Laughing
fuel4me

City: lancaster

PostPosted: Jun 09, 2007 8:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

has this thread really been goin on for a year? Rolling Eyes
KYScrilla

PostPosted: Jun 11, 2007 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No doubt....and I started it! Totally forgot about it. Good news is that the wife does want to try and ride. It took a girls day out on the boat to get her to think about it...but hey, whatever works.

I think I can effectively put this thread to bed. Thanks for all the advice.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wakeboarder Forum Index -> Ladies Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Add To Favorites

Jump to: