Wakeboarder Forum Index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   StatisticsStats   FavoritesFavorites   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages  Log inLog in 
BlogsBlogs   

Budget Wake Boat Breakdown Chart
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Wakeboarder Forum Index -> Wakeboard Boat General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Erik
Old School Freak
Old School Freak

City: Boston MA, Wolfeboro NH, DelRay FL, Montego Bay, Jamaica

PostPosted: Jun 29, 2006 12:36 pm    Post subject: Budget Wake Boat Breakdown Chart Reply with quote

This chart shows what are generally considered to be the best used boats that perform exceptionally well for wakeboarding-specific use. In many cases, these models evolved to become high-end wakeboarding boats. The individual boats' locations, left to right on the chart, show the estimated price range one should expect. The prices are estimated - you may find prices lower and you will find prices higher. This is meant to give you a general idea of what they cost, and how that cost compares to other boats in this small category. Newer branded & wakeboard specific boats were left out on purpose.

I hope this is useful to anyone looking to buy a wakeboard boat, and can not - or will not, buy brand new. I non-scientifically consider "budget" to be approximately half of what the average high-end wake boat costs right now. That figure is reflected in the chart as $30,000 dollars, but that 1/2 figure is the far upper end of the price scale, so don't worry.

I hope this serves as a useful way to visually demonstrate to new participants in the sport, what are considered to be the best boats ever built for wakeboarding, what they cost, and what the price relationship is between each of them. And to show the bevy of boats that can be had if 30k is the upper limit of one's budget.

It is not 100% fully comprehensive, but shows the important boats that we all talk about repeatedly, and for which there is a lot of data to support the assertion that they are excellent choices for individuals who are interested in buying a boat that will be used exclusively for wakeboarding.

And the blog I wrote to support it is here:
http://www.wakeboardreport.com/archives/2006/06/budget_wake_boat_breakdown_gra.html

I hope you find this useful.

Thanks,
Erik

Last edited by Erik on Apr 27, 2007 10:27 am; edited 8 times in total
burntorange77
Soul Rider
Soul Rider

City: Kingwood

PostPosted: Jun 29, 2006 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, that's a great pice of info for those of us looking. Thanks for posting it.
Erik
Old School Freak
Old School Freak

PostPosted: Jun 29, 2006 12:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

burntorange77, it is a topic that comes up a LOT. And just sort of needed to be mapped out visually so that people can get an idea of what they'd be looking at, based on somewhat modest budget. Although by no means do I think 30k is chump change, I think it is relevant when we talk about budget wake boats - I believe that there are tons of boats that will serve their users for decades, that can be had for considerably less than 30k (lightly used too).

I also wanted to give people an idea of how the different boats' price points overlap - and where they sit in terms of how long certian models have been around (Sunsetter, Sport Nautique, Prostar - the ole' veterans). I think the chart is helpful, but shouldnt be read with TOO much sophistication (x-axis and y-axis etc...) Thats why I didnt call it a graph.

Thanks for the remarks. I had been meaning to do this for awhile but since it came up so many times on here over the last few weeks, it became a priority for me - to help the users of this site.
acurtis_ttu
Soul Rider
Soul Rider

City: Houston

PostPosted: Jun 29, 2006 1:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

you left off the PS 190 , it was right behind the CC 2001 on wakeboarder mag's list as budget wakeboat
Erik
Old School Freak
Old School Freak

PostPosted: Jun 29, 2006 1:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No - I wholeheartedly disagree that the Prostar 190 should be on that list. Not even a close contender. We have a Prostar 190 in my family. It is a phenomenal slalom boat but the wake is nothing compared to what is on that chart. The 190 is NOT to be confused with, or thought of like the 205. The 205 is among the best boats I have ever been behind. The Prostar 190 and Malibu Skier - are among the worst - for wakeboarding. This is meant to be a solid reference for people who are interested in a wakeboarding boat - and not every 80's and early 90's inboard makes the list. That is also a common misconception I want to word toward fixing. Another reason for the chart.

I listed the boats that have a lot of data and aftermarket support as a good wakeboarding platform.

acurtis_ttu, what issue was that though? I'd love to read about it. That is funny - I actually talked to WBM a few months ago about writing an article about that very topic, but - then I managed to piss off Matt Hickman by making comments about their "scientific" wake-measuring issue. I was actually pretty pissed about that and it got back to Matt. And was contacted by him directly and - we patched it up but they may not be interested in printing my stuff for a little while Smile

Last edited by Erik on Jun 29, 2006 2:30 pm; edited 1 time in total
Wakebrad
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

City: Dallas

PostPosted: Jun 29, 2006 1:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FYI they started making the Sport Nautique in '89 (same hull as the '90-'92)

Agree with you on the PS190.

Thug Hunter
Outlaw
Outlaw

City: Austin

PostPosted: Jun 29, 2006 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is a great post. It should be a sticky thread for sure.
Erik
Old School Freak
Old School Freak

PostPosted: Jun 29, 2006 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Brad - I appreciate it. And it is fixed.
kzlucas

PostPosted: Jun 29, 2006 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm looking at a 88' Ski Supreme. Anyone know where it would fall in place on this chart or would it even have a place on the chart. I like the 2001 wake how would it compare to the Supreme? thanks
Erik
Old School Freak
Old School Freak

PostPosted: Jun 29, 2006 5:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is not on par with wake characteristics and reliability record of the boats shown in the chart. Which is why it isnt on the chart at all. I'm not trying to sound biased - its just that the 80/90's era Supreme's dont share the same reputation as the Supra, Master Craft and Correct Crafts mentioned in the chart.
kzlucas

PostPosted: Jun 29, 2006 8:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

right... i agree 100%... especially with 2001's. I was just wondering what the wake behind a Supreme is like. Thought you just might not hear about them because there arn't as many out there or they where not an elite slalom boat or something like that.
Brit Rider
Wakeboarder.com Freak
Wakeboarder.com Freak

City: Cheshire, England

PostPosted: Jun 30, 2006 1:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seems like a sensible thing to have done.

I still think more boats could be added and really it would be cool to show how decent they are on another axis of the chart.

wesgardner
Wakeboarder.Commie
Wakeboarder.Commie

City: Severna Park

PostPosted: Jun 30, 2006 5:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Erik,

Can you make it a sticky, great chart...

Neognosis
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

City: Webster

PostPosted: Jun 30, 2006 5:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You left off the direct drive wakesetters that are now called the "i-ride."

You can get one with balast and a wedge for well under 30K, and the wake is great. Years up to 2003 or so.

Sbt3
Soul Rider
Soul Rider

City: Okauchee

PostPosted: Jun 30, 2006 5:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I personally think the late 80's-early 90's (not sure the exact years) mastercraft tristar should be on the list. With the right weighting I would take it over a 2001 hull and for reference I have a supersport currently. And yes I have ridden a weighted 2001 before, I liked it but liked the tristar a little more because of the transition on the wake.
ttuclint
Addict
Addict

City: Lubbock, TX

PostPosted: Jun 30, 2006 5:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cameraboy wrote:
You left off the direct drive wakesetters that are now called the "i-ride."

He said he did not inluded anything labeled for wakeboarding, for example, a wakesetter.

But I would differentiate that an 89 sunsetter has a different hull from I think 95 and on and were available in direct and v-drives starting in 96.
Erik
Old School Freak
Old School Freak

PostPosted: Jun 30, 2006 5:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cameraboy, I did not want to use any branded, marketed wake boats - but you raise a good point.

ttuclint, I am not a Malibu expert so I appreciate the information.

Stan Tanner, Excellent point. I didn't really want to get into the "runners up" too much but the Maristar and Tristars were definitely on my mind but did not make the chart because I have never been behind one so I didn't want to list anything I didn't have personal experience with. But really good point. I totally agree that the Tristar and Maristar deserves representation. I am working on the next iteration of the chart, and will include that boat for sure.

Thanks,
Erik
Neognosis
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

City: Webster

PostPosted: Jun 30, 2006 6:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

He said he did not inluded anything labeled for wakeboarding, for example, a wakesetter.

My mistake.....

Sbt3
Soul Rider
Soul Rider

PostPosted: Jun 30, 2006 6:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Erik Jernberg, sounds good, I think it is definitely a helpful chart and should be put as a sticky which may help with alot of the same "is this boat good" posts. Also getting people to use the search feature would be helpful, but I doubt that will happen.
Wakebrad
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

City: Dallas

PostPosted: Jun 30, 2006 7:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The funny thing is in 5 years the boat values will probably all be about the same as they are now. Almost no depreciation.
Scooby
Outlaw
Outlaw

City: Hoffman Estates

PostPosted: Jun 30, 2006 8:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another Strong consideration would be the 93 - 97 Malibu Echelon LX. 90 inch Beam with the Sv 23 Hull (not diamond).
vette74
Wakeboarder.Commie
Wakeboarder.Commie

PostPosted: Jun 30, 2006 11:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eric, you forgot the Sanger 210
Erik
Old School Freak
Old School Freak

PostPosted: Jun 30, 2006 11:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

vette74, I did not forget the Sanger 210. How long has that even been around for anyway? I could not find that information in the quick search that I did. It looked like 2000 was the first year of ther Sanger 210.

I was somewhat afraid this would happen - that people would come out of the woodwork to nominate boats for which there is not enough data to support their inclusion in this list, or that were hard to find. The reason why the Sanger is not on the chart is the same reason you don't see Calabrias, or Supremes on there. It is not that the Sanger 210 isn't a good boat, but it is quite rare - and there just aren't enough of them around. People don't talk about them in reverent terms like they do about the Sunsetter, Sport Nautique, Sunsport, 2001, and the 205. Look - the point of this is to help facilitate a search. Not to send people off on a goose chase for a rare boat that has not ben vetted enough, or is affordable enough, for the people I wanted to benefit from the chart.

So - I did not forget any boat really. There has been a good case made for adding the Maristar and Tristar Master Crafts, and potentially the Correct Craft Excel, but apart from that, I am convinced that the list is just how I intended it, and provides a good visual summary of what many on here have confirmed, and what I have been behind and can myself confirm, are affordable, solid & long lasting boats for specific wakeboarding use.

Last edited by Erik on Jun 30, 2006 11:37 am; edited 1 time in total
Sbt3
Soul Rider
Soul Rider

PostPosted: Jun 30, 2006 11:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would also agree with Scooby on the echelons. I have ridden many of those and the wakes kill it, the double ups are some of my favorites.
vette74
Wakeboarder.Commie
Wakeboarder.Commie

PostPosted: Jun 30, 2006 11:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Erik Jernberg, I think the v-drive came out about 96 or 97 and I have seen them for sale for less than 20K that is the reason I am nominating them. I concur that they are hard to find in most areas. And if you need someone to talk about them ask Chavez Laughing
Erik
Old School Freak
Old School Freak

PostPosted: Jun 30, 2006 11:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have been behind the Echelon too. If I am not mistaken, the closed bow and open bow variations both have the same hull. I was not a fan. But I am not a fan of the some of those 90's Malibus, due to general reliability issues with the electrical systems on those boats. Again, not to discredit it, but it is just not a boat I would send someone off looking for immediately. The ones on the chart - are.
Ian_82
Addict
Addict

City: Longview, WA

PostPosted: Jun 30, 2006 11:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

vette74, i was wondering when the V-drive came around. for any boat. it seems the only older V-drives ive seen for sale start around 2000 or so. this could be due to a couple reasons, either A: they just werent made, or B: nobody that has one wants to sell them.

what is the oldest boat out there with a V-drive? excluding those 454 powered ski/jet hotrod boats...

http://www.newagerecords.com/shows.html
vette74
Wakeboarder.Commie
Wakeboarder.Commie

PostPosted: Jun 30, 2006 11:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ian_82, I think Nautique had one built in ~92 it is somewhere on this site and it might have been closed bow. But if you search Nautique V-drive you will be searching for a while Laughing
bremsen
Outlaw
Outlaw

City: Charlotte

PostPosted: Jun 30, 2006 12:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ian, the drag/jet boats would be the oldest....starting in the early-mid 70s when all the hotrodders moved to the water b/c of emissions. The first v-drive inboards started in the early 90's AFAIK. CC with the barefoot/excel and later the supersport, MC started with the maristar in 93 or 94 IIRC. The v-drive craze goes hand in hand with the increase in popularity of wakeboarding. Even in the 90's I bet DDs out sold VDs 5:1 or more. Now its probably 10:1 the other way.

Erik, I see what you were trying to accomplish with your graph. All of the boats on your graph are identical or very similar hulls to the later "wakeboard" boats. I think if you add add other models it should stay true to the original design. Otherwise it will just add confusion. my .02.

Erik
Old School Freak
Old School Freak

PostPosted: Jun 30, 2006 12:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks bremsen.

Ian_82 there was a boat called the Nautique Excel made in the early 90's. But Centurion had a closed bow v-drive in the early 90's timeframe as well called the Falcon, I think. I am not sure which was first.
kzlucas

PostPosted: Jun 30, 2006 4:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is a 98' Mastercraft Sportstar the same hull as the 94'-02'prostar listed on the chart. I've searched but can't find a lot of info. There is one for sale in my area for $15k has 480 hours, Samson tower, 1500lb automated ballast.
Deez

PostPosted: Jul 02, 2006 10:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great post! I'm looking at a 1991 Malibu Mystere 215 LX Open bow (rare boat by my understanding) would thins make a good wakeboard boat? I'm thinking that it is closer to a Malibu sunsetter then to a Malibu skier. Any one have info on ths boat. I have search for hours but have found very little on this particular boat. Anyone?
powdrhound
Criminal
Criminal

City: Wellington New Zealand

PostPosted: Jul 02, 2006 1:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Earliest V210 I have found is 1995
but agreed they are rare and given Eriks reasoning I would say he made the right choice in leaving it off the list
The_fng
Criminal
Criminal

PostPosted: Jul 02, 2006 8:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My first boat was a 98 PS190. It had a great wakeboard wake because MC screwed up the hull in redesign for the 98 model year. The sponsons (chines) were very long, deep and poorly placed. This allowed the transom to sit low in the water for a nice trick wake, but really messed up the slalom wake. MC's loyal slalom enthusiats threw a fit and MC reworked the hull prior to 99. They also offered retrofit kits (under warranty!!) for all the 98s they sold. If you can find a 98 PS190 that has not been reworked, it can be made to throw an excellent wake.

Did they use this hull for the Sportstars? IIRC, they actually pulled the 95ish PS190 mold out of mothballs for the Sportstars. Can anyone confirm the heritage of the Sportstar hull?
kzlucas

PostPosted: Jul 02, 2006 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I pulled this off boatinglife.com. So you don't have to read it all, in short it says the '98 Sportstar was modeled after the '97 Prostar 190.

Sure, lots of companies offer entry-level ski boats for under $20,000, but none with MasterCraft's reputation and 30 years' experience building world-class tournament ski boats. The SportStar 19, is a true competition ski boat, backed by the Master Craft reputation at with an entry level price.
"MasterCraft has been known for three decades as the builder of the world's best ski boat," says John Dorton, MasterCraft's marketing director. "However, many enthusiasts who wanted a MasterCraft often had to settle for a lower-priced boat and all the compromises that entailed."
Modeled after the 1997 ProStar 190, the SportStar 19 has a proven hull design that has towed several world record-holding skiers. Equipped with a fuel-injected 260-hp Vortec V-8, the SportStar features 100-percent hand-laid fiberglass construction with integral steel mounting plates for the engine, tow pylon and lifting rings. The engine is warranted for three years, and the hull is warranted for life.
Other features include a 31-gallon fuel tank, seating for eight, side ski lockers, an insulated engine box, rotocast seating, tilt steering and an adjustable driver's seat. And at 2,400 pounds, the SportStar is relatively easy to tow.
But if you're interested in a 1998 SportStar 19, see your MasterCraft dealer early. The entire production run was sold out to dealers, so when your dealership runs out of '98 SportStars, chances are it won't be getting any more.
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Wakeboarder Forum Index -> Wakeboard Boat General Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Add To Favorites

Jump to: