Wakeboarder Forum Index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   StatisticsStats   FavoritesFavorites   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages  Log inLog in 
BlogsBlogs   

Carribean, Mexico or Bahamas
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
NAW
Wakeboarder.com Freak
Wakeboarder.com Freak

City: Chicago-ish

PostPosted: Jun 07, 2006 11:22 am    Post subject: Carribean, Mexico or Bahamas Reply with quote

Which would you rather go to in the month of September?

I'm looking to go somewhere with the wife. We've done timeshares in Cancun and I'm thinking about giving an all-inclusive a shot. So, I'm looking at doing one through Apple vacations and wanted to hear about your guys' travels to these areas.

Requirements:

Sun, beach, great nightlife.

Suggestions?

wkebrd3
Wakeboarder.Commie
Wakeboarder.Commie

City: Algonquin

PostPosted: Jun 07, 2006 11:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

NAW, my girl is a travel agent. PM me with an email address and I'll get you in contact with her if you want...
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

City: Mogadishu

PostPosted: Jun 07, 2006 11:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Isn't September still hurricane season? If so, I would shy away from the Caribbean and the Bahamas... I could be wrong though????

We are all about all-inclusive and are heading to PV, Mexico in Nov for a week. However, our night life consists of hanging with the friends we are going with(and whoever we may meet) at the resort bars or beach. We don't really do the in-town clubbing thing.

Friends of ours that are much more into hitting the nightlife hotspots recently did an all-inclusive and were disappointed as they felt they didn't use it.
jryoung
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

City: Man Jose

PostPosted: Jun 07, 2006 11:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've done an all-inclusive through Apple a couple of times. If you're looking to hang out on a beach for a week and do minimal exploring they work great. All essentials are taken care of and all you have to focus on is getting a good spot on the beach for the day.

I was in Playa Del Carmen two years ago, it's really nice, but I'm not sure sure of the nightlife outside the discotechs on each of the properties. Cancun is definately better for that.

If you're going in September, get travel insurance. You should get it anyway when traveling out of the country, but you don't want to risk losing out on your trip. Check out Travelex.

89comp
Wakeboarder.Commie
Wakeboarder.Commie

City: Austin, TX! thank GOD!

PostPosted: Jun 07, 2006 12:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jryoung, through Apple...? as in computers or am I really missing something?

Winter is quite possibly the worst invention ever.

Bro Boat = Sausage Fest on water.
chavez
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

City: Roseville

PostPosted: Jun 07, 2006 12:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

E.J., which one? We just got back from RIU down there. Not much for late-nightlife, but it was great not worrying about anything for a week.

If you are bringing the kids it is way easier this way too. The RIU had a bunch of kids stuff, but they kept it seperated from the adults stuff (different pools, etc.).

The one cool thing they did for nightlife is every night they loaded up the hotel van/bus with people and the entertainment staff and went clubbing. EVERY night! So if you are in to that stuff, you could easily get your fix.

I booked us through Funjet (www.funjet.com). They were $200 cheaper than everyone else, even after travel insurance. They even had a rep onsite, as did Apple, and Sunterra, and a few others.

RIP MHL 04/25/1958 - 01/11/2006
chavez
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

PostPosted: Jun 07, 2006 12:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NAW, Cabo would be a good bet for you. Same with Cancun.

Try to stay near the city, otherwise expect to shell out for cabs.

E.J.
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

PostPosted: Jun 07, 2006 1:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chavez We are staying at the Golden Crown, or Crown Royal as I have now started calling it. 7 couples(and counting)...adults only trip, all kids staying with grandparents.

THANK GOD FOR GRANDPARENTS!
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

City: Wilmington, Delaware

PostPosted: Jun 07, 2006 1:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JAMAICA

Mr. Green

chavez
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

PostPosted: Jun 07, 2006 1:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

E.J., we almost booked at the Crown! Then the RIU came up a whole lot cheaper so I bit.

Please tell me you chose the Golden Crown Paradise (adults-only) over the Club (family). Plus, you can use the buffet at the Club if the GCP's restaurants don't have anything you want.

The location of that hotel is good. Right next to the port (cruise terminal) and there are a bunch of little shops right there and when the boats are not in you can score some good deals - "Almost Free" Laughing

There is also a little tienda at the front that has a beer cooler - in case you get sick of the beer selection at the resort.

It will be about a $7 cab ride to the Malecon (centro).

Always request your liquor by name - even in mixed drinks. If you don't you will most likely get XYZ booze and you may not like it. They should have some middle-shelf stuff there like Cuervo, Bacardi, and Smirnoff. Much better than the generic Mexican stuff you would get otherwise.

chavez
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

PostPosted: Jun 07, 2006 1:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I forgot to mention - you are only about 1/2 mile to the Wal-Mart and Sams Club if you should get desperate for necessities.

E.J.
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

PostPosted: Jun 07, 2006 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, the Paradise(adults only).....and hopefully they will confirm my Honeymoon Suite. Though we have our deposit, for some reason they will not confirm the H.S. until September..... Rolling Eyes

Actually I am happy that Sams/Wal Mart is close, we were going to get a iPod dock stereo for the room and carry on, but maybe we can just purchase something there.......

Do you by chance know who has the beer contract with the Golden Crown? Dos Equis had it at the Moon Palace in Cancun and that was great. But if I could get Pacifico or Modelo.....that would put a huge smile on my face.
chavez
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

PostPosted: Jun 07, 2006 1:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

E.J., filter through the TripAdvisor reviews. Someone is bound to mention it.

We had Corona and N. Modelo. Neither were kept all that cold. So I drank mostly hard liquor.

If Modelo has the contract (which would not surprise as they have a very large facility in PV) you would likely have Corona and N. Modelo. Corona sucks, but N Modelo is damn good if cold. Pacifico would be the sh*t, but I doubt you will get it at the resort.

chavez
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

PostPosted: Jun 07, 2006 1:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just checked it for you - looks like they have "Sol" only, which is not bad, but I would be pretty sick of it after a week.

Bring lots of 1's for tipping. Trust me, it will help with service.

E.J.
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

PostPosted: Jun 07, 2006 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sol is not bad....but you had me excited with the N. Modelo.

Yes, agree 100% with the liberal passing out of $1 bills. Amazing what that does and good to see that there is still an appreciation for the $1 bill somewhere.

If Modelo has a large plant/distributor there...sure we can buy as much as we want for relatively cheap and stock our room and coolers for late night poker games.
jryoung
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

City: Man Jose

PostPosted: Jun 07, 2006 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tipping goes a long way in Mexico, a greenback here and there really helps with the service. We tipped out dive guide $40 after 2 different days of diving, and left another $20 for the maids.

My friends father was dropping $20's like they were burning a hole in his pocket. He pulled one out and asked me "Is this a good tip", "considering is probably more than they make all month, yes". He was well liquored for the entire week, they loved the big white bearded gringo. Laughing

chavez
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

PostPosted: Jun 07, 2006 2:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

E.J., that was one cool ass thing about the Riu - the in-room minibar. 4 hard liquors, Corona, Pepsi, 7-up, tonic water and water.

For you though, just go to Wal-Mart and get a styrofoam cooler.

Oh yeah, bring an insulated mug!!! I got 2 24oz insulated mugs at Target for $9.99 and packed them. Much better than constant waiter trips or you making constant bar trips.

Buergday

PostPosted: Jun 08, 2006 9:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My wife and I are headed for the RIU Palace in Playa Del Carmen next week. Can't wait - I'm so stoked to get away for a week!
chavez
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

PostPosted: Jun 08, 2006 9:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Buergday, my pops stayed at the Palace in Cancun last year. He loved it.

Definitely bring those mugs, and lots of 1's.

NAW
Wakeboarder.com Freak
Wakeboarder.com Freak

PostPosted: Jun 08, 2006 9:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting you guys bring up Riu. wkebrd3's girl has been very helpful in narrowing stuff down.

One offering in Cancun is the Riu Cancun and it looks like a great/fun place. Price is very reasonable, almost too reasonable!

Anyone been to the Riu in Cancun?

We're almost narrowed down to Cancun, again. Something about that place I just love...at least while I'm young enough to enjoy it.

chavez
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

PostPosted: Jun 08, 2006 9:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

NAW, that's the one my father has been to. He loved it.

They even had WiFi at the pool - just in case you feel like posting from your lounge chair. Laughing

Buergday

PostPosted: Jun 08, 2006 9:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

Definitely bring those mugs, and lots of 1's.

My lady's on her way to Target to pick up the mugs as we, uh... "speak"
Bought our own snorkel gear too this time.

Quote:

We're almost narrowed down to Cancun, again. Something about that place I just love...at least while I'm young enough to enjoy it.

I read that there's some sort of wakeboarding school that you can ride at - somewhere right in town. It's in like a lake or lagoon or something. I think they have an hourly rate too, so you could get a pull while your there!
NAW
Wakeboarder.com Freak
Wakeboarder.com Freak

PostPosted: Jun 08, 2006 10:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, probably Club Med in the lagoon.....Crocs or Gators in that lagoon!

I think there's the Riu palace and then the Riu Cancun, but they're right next to each other.

Buergday

PostPosted: Jun 08, 2006 10:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's a few pics of where we'll be. My wife scored a 7 night all-inclusive trip, including roundtrip airfare from San Francisco and transfers for just over $2k. She's the ultimate bargain shopper Very Happy

Images-g150812-d219633-b1073130S-Courtyard-Riu_Palace_Mexico-Playa_del_Carmen_Yucatan_Peninsula.jpg

Description:
 Filesize:  61.82 KB
 Viewed:  13458 Time(s)

Images-g150812-d219633-b1182440S-The_Beach_at_RIU-Riu_Palace_Mexico-Playa_del_Carmen_Yucatan_Peninsula.jpg

Description:
 Filesize:  48.72 KB

Images-g150812-d219633-b1287712S-Awesome_beach-Riu_Palace_Mexico-Playa_del_Carmen_Yucatan_Peninsula.jpg

Description:
 Filesize:  57.14 KB

NAW
Wakeboarder.com Freak
Wakeboarder.com Freak

PostPosted: Jun 08, 2006 10:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That looks awesome! I wonder if they'd let you 'winch' across that fountain? Laughing
Tmac1
Soul Rider
Soul Rider

City: West Bloomfield

PostPosted: Jun 08, 2006 10:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

forget the Bahamas -- we were there in February -- it's basically Florida for a whole lot more $. $5,000 for 6 nights (air, food, lodging, everything)-- that's not even at the Atlantis! That's gonna run you $700+ per night for a regular room. Frankly -- from what I saw at that place -- you are not getting pampered for that price either. The bahamas are where people from NY and NJ go -- it's basically their Hawaii -- and it aint no Hawaii Rolling Eyes

I have been to Bermuda and St Thomas. Bermuda doesn't have much of a night life scene as it caters more to honeymooners. The beaches are great though. It's also an island that you can explore most of in a week.

St Thomas -- Some good night life here -- but more so in the "you better be careful kind"

St. Johns is only a ferry boat ride away and has one of the top 20 beaches in the world in Trunk Bay --

WHat about Grand Cayman? Haven't been there but I have heard a lot of good things.

If you have done Mexico -- isn't it time to try something new?

Back to Hawaii -- went there in 97 and it was great. Maui. Night life is avialable -- and you will never run out of stuff to do -- you just need 7 days at least as the flights from the midwest -- you have two full days of travel -- one on each end of the trip.

Atlantis

Atlantis Acquarium
NAW
Wakeboarder.com Freak
Wakeboarder.com Freak

PostPosted: Jun 08, 2006 10:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tmac1, Good points.

But we're going to Hawaii for two weeks in March on a cruise with some family.

Viva la Mexico!!

Tmac1
Soul Rider
Soul Rider

City: West Bloomfield

PostPosted: Jun 08, 2006 10:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

so you have already made up your mind Cool

ok -- but someday you should try this

Trunk Bay -- ST. Johns US VI

http://www.hillcreststjohn.com/TrunkBay.jpg

Shocked
E.J.
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

PostPosted: Jun 08, 2006 11:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

NAW….have you looked at the Palace Resorts in Cancun? I thought the ones in the hotel district(downtown or whatever they call it) were kind of dumpy….maybe dumpy is a little strong, but not near as nice as the Xpu-Ha and Moon.

Nice thing is that you can go to any of the Palace Resorts in Cancun and eat/drink…. So you can travel into downtown and hang, go into one of the other resorts and eat… hang at the beach there and drink. Then go back to the seclusion of your resort(Moon is about 20 minutes away, Xpu-Ha is over an hour)….which I like.

Anyway….if you have decided on Cancun, maybe worth a look.
chavez
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

PostPosted: Jun 08, 2006 11:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

NAW, he stayed at Riu Palace.

Buergday, not surprisingly that looks very much like the Riu we stayed at, just smaller.

Lop
Wakeboarder.com Freak
Wakeboarder.com Freak

City: St Louis MO

PostPosted: Jun 08, 2006 11:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm doing an all inclusive at Playa del Carmen next week, I'll let you n=know how it goes.

After you do that, help me find me leprechaun..... Rolling Eyes
E.J.
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

PostPosted: Jun 08, 2006 11:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chavez, is the Riu part of the Palace Resorts in Cancun?
chavez
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

PostPosted: Jun 08, 2006 11:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

E.J., not that I am aware of. Different company.

E.J.
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

PostPosted: Jun 08, 2006 11:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just looked at some photos, that place is impressive!
NAW
Wakeboarder.com Freak
Wakeboarder.com Freak

PostPosted: Jun 08, 2006 11:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I get confused on the names too.

There's two Riu's in Playa, and two in Cancun (maybe more?)

If you stay at the Riu Palace, you can go into the Riu Cancun and go to the 'disco', but not sure if you can go to the Palace if you stay at Riu Cancun. Either way....I could stay in a tiki hut on the beach and be happy as hell! Laughing

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wakeboarder Forum Index -> Non-Wakeboarding All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Add To Favorites

Jump to: