Wakeboarder Forum Index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   StatisticsStats   FavoritesFavorites   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages  Log inLog in 
BlogsBlogs   

think i've decided on a bow

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Wallrat
Soul Rider
Soul Rider

City: Huntington Beach

PostPosted: Jun 10, 2006 6:25 am    Post subject: think i've decided on a bow Reply with quote

I guess this is more for JasonSSR...

I'm thinking bout getting a bow. I'm 6', 210lbs. My quiver now consists of an 8 fuel, 12 yarga, 16 V4, and 20 X2. Normally my 16 is my bread and butter kite around here, with the 20 getting used about 30% of the time. The 8 & 12 are "vacation use only". All this is on a North Dragon L (134x43).

So anyway, the Waroo is looking pretty good right now but I've been reading that the 16 is really sluggish compared to the 14 and 12. Do you think I should try to go with the 14? I'm not a small guy. I'd like to have 1 kite to cover the range of both the 16 and the 20. I never bother going out if its less than about 14mph cuz the x2 really sucks on the low end. At the top I've managed to hold onto my 16 in about 28mph.

jason_ssr
Wakeboarder.com Freak
Wakeboarder.com Freak

City: Dallas, Tx

PostPosted: Jun 12, 2006 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good question.

I havent ridden them so I cant say from personal experience. However, I can say that Ive seen alot of guys riding 14m when Im on my 21BFK, but everyone is smaller than me (6'6" 210lbs) so its hard for me to say.

Do you use more than one board? Ive always been a 1 board guy, but I got a great lightwind board from Waterboards.net and Ive enjoyed being out on 13m and the bigger board more so than my 21m and smaller board.

If 2 boards is out of the queston (sux to try to travel with 2) I would go with the larger kite. In fact, if you got the cash to use, buy both, try them and return one!!! I hear the 9m is unreal, so I bet the 14m is plenty.

My avatar is NOT a pic of me! HAHA!
Wallrat
Soul Rider
Soul Rider

City: Huntington Beach

PostPosted: Jun 16, 2006 8:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And here I thought you'd be the go-to guy! Hehe. I'm a one board guy at the moment - just a North Dragon L (137). I'd like to get another, slightly larger board (probably a directional) for lighter wind and surf, but then I also want a little 115 or something for when its nuking. Mo'money, mo'problems. I guess I could always just order the 14, and if its not enough I'll return it for the 16. Gotta love Best's return policy!
jason_ssr
Wakeboarder.com Freak
Wakeboarder.com Freak

PostPosted: Jun 18, 2006 10:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I not convinced of the bows just yet. The theory behind what they can do is awesome but I dont like the other difficulties more. I ride unhooked alot, so the bow doesnt give me much more range since unhooking takes away that long depower throw. Also, unspinning the bar seems to take some skill now.

Alot of the guys are converting and doing well on them, so ill probably try next years and see. I recently heard from Andre Phillip that he is on Switchblades non-stop and getting the unhooked wakestyle stuff dialed on it. So, its moving that direction for sure.

IlliniBoarder
Criminal
Criminal

PostPosted: Jul 24, 2006 7:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey, maybe check out the new Cabrinha Contra Bow style for more light wind days, or a switchblade...I was thinking of trying one of those, but decided to just get a couple of good C kites instead, as I'd rather just stick to what's proven for now until the new technology becomes more "standard"...

Hope you guys are getting to ride this summer, so far I haven't...have only been able to wakeboard once, and no kiting since spring break. We were in sarasota, florida over break on longboat key and I had a couple good days of practice out in the gulf. Was the first time I've gone since last summer unfortunately, and I'm still working on staying up and planing, but the wind on those days in florida wasn't quite enough to make it easy. Then on the last windy day, it ended up going nuclear, and I had to make the call to just take the kite down for fear of getting killed out there!

We'll be up in michigan for a couple weeks pretty soon, and I'm looking to get a lot of water time. I think if I could just get a good few solid windy days of riding while we're there, it would really help my improvement, as I have yet to have gone out on my own in optimal conditions. Might take another lesson while I'm up there as well!

Hope you all are catching some wind!
jason_ssr
Wakeboarder.com Freak
Wakeboarder.com Freak

PostPosted: Jul 26, 2006 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TX is dead for most of the summer. however, there might be some freak day tomorrow, so Im packing the car for wind and will head to the lake after work. Ill let ya know what I get!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wakeboarder Forum Index -> Kiteboarding All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Add To Favorites

Jump to: