Wakeboarder Forum Index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   StatisticsStats   FavoritesFavorites   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages  Log inLog in 
BlogsBlogs   

BMX helmets to practice on sliders

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wakeboarder Forum Index -> Cable Parks and Slider Talk
View previous topic :: View next topic  
qnz_78

City: Manila

PostPosted: Jun 03, 2006 8:33 pm    Post subject: BMX helmets to practice on sliders Reply with quote

Anyone tried using BMX helmets (like the Pro-tec Ace Spade or the Shovelhead fullface http://www.pro-tec.net/bike.html) to use to practice on sliders, like 360s on the flatbox or bs boardslides on the slider/gap. My friend had a bad fall and lost a tooth on the flatbox so I was thinking of getting one of these to practice with.

Thing is wont it cause some sort of whiplash on a bad fall in the water because of the drag from the helmet?

Has anyone tried using this?

Last edited by qnz_78 on Jun 11, 2006 8:08 am; edited 1 time in total
JeffR
Addict
Addict

City: Victoria, BC

PostPosted: Jun 03, 2006 9:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gnz, you should use a wakeboarding helemet. Pro tec manufactures one, its called Ace Wake, and I use it when I am trying new tricks. It is specifically designed for wakeboarding, so it doesnt cause any whiplash when you hit the water, and it almost eliminates the headaches you get from faceplants
qnz_78

PostPosted: Jun 04, 2006 6:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yup I actually use the ace wake although it doesnt give any protection to the face. I mean I dont want to sound like a sissy, im sure most riders learned backside boardslides and 360s on the slider without even using a helmet but it'd give me much more confidence to try more crazy stuff if I knew my nose and teeth were safe.

I guess there should be whiplash but I guess it cant be that bad. I'm just wondering if someone has tried this method already Cool

Ctipping
Wakeboarder.com Freak
Wakeboarder.com Freak

City: Vancouver

PostPosted: Jun 04, 2006 10:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

qnz_78, the whiplash may kill you with the full face helmet, but the fact that you will probably never ever ever get laid again if you wakeboard in a full face helmet is the scariest part.
WattsBarRiDr
Outlaw
Outlaw

City: knoxville

PostPosted: Jun 07, 2006 6:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey bra... What i say is that if u got balls enough to hit a rail.. u should have balls enough to be able to take sum hard falls.... yeah i would stick with just the helment u got and dnt fall on ur face
qnz_78

PostPosted: Jun 07, 2006 9:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got a friend who's lost a tooth, another one ripped his face so bad on a rail gap so bad that it gave him a second mouth. Anyway I know they're freak accidents but if you can avoid them then all the better. I used to hit all obstacles (even rail gaps) without a helmet after I had a pretty bad fall on the a-frame so I got myself the ace-wake but I do get a bit paranoid after seeing what happened to my friends.

Thanks for the replies though, looks like sticking to the regular helmet and watching my face is the way to go I guess.

qnz_78

PostPosted: Jun 07, 2006 10:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

just a note however, I know how silly those fullface helmets look like so I was intending just for practice till I get the trick dialed in. No intentions of wearing them everytime I ride hehe
Ian_82
Addict
Addict

City: Longview, WA

PostPosted: Jun 07, 2006 10:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wont the pads in a regular bike helmet get waterlogged and lose their functionality?

i believe that is why they make specific helmets. i read somewhere that is the case with snowboarding helmets too.

http://www.newagerecords.com/shows.html
beau_bushnell
Outlaw
Outlaw

City: GP

PostPosted: Jul 16, 2006 2:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ya I would just got with a wakeboarding helmet and dont fall on your face. and if you arnt willing to take that chance then dont try the trick. I think I am going to get a hlemet because I hate getting headaches.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
$$$B52v23$$$

City: beaverton/scapoose

PostPosted: Jul 20, 2006 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bubb Rubb helmets and life jacket.... stuff happens

hit me up if you live in p-town
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wakeboarder Forum Index -> Cable Parks and Slider Talk All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Add To Favorites

Jump to: