Wakeboarder Forum Index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   StatisticsStats   FavoritesFavorites   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages  Log inLog in 
BlogsBlogs   

SOLOrider
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Crazy_Constructor

City: Kungälv

PostPosted: Dec 28, 2005 3:03 am    Post subject: SOLOrider Reply with quote

Hi!

I`m building a Solorider Razz

All information is on this site:
http://www.bierbower.net/diytower/solorider/

I would be really thankful for all thoughts, ideas or questions! Since I believe there are alot of people here who knows what they`re talking about!

Thank you!

Chad H
PityDaFool Who Posts This Much

City: Atlanta

PostPosted: Dec 31, 2005 4:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

what do these do?
Crazy_Constructor

PostPosted: Jan 02, 2006 11:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It´s a personal wakeboard boat, you can ride alone. Wink
extremeisaac
Criminal
Criminal

City: Bay Area

PostPosted: Jan 02, 2006 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

what kind of power and weight do you plan on this solorider to put out?
vawakemonster
Wakeboarder.Commie
Wakeboarder.Commie

City: fredericksburg

PostPosted: Jan 02, 2006 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DAMN that is so cool. you've got some talent....

K-dub wrote:
......hell, even borrowing your mom's lotion and rubbing one out would be a good idea to pass some time.
Chad H

City: Atlanta

PostPosted: Jan 02, 2006 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

can you explain how steering and all that works please, i am very interested.
Brit Rider
Wakeboarder.com Freak
Wakeboarder.com Freak

City: Cheshire, England

PostPosted: Jan 03, 2006 3:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Crazy_Constructor, Great project!

a big issue will be the tracking of the hull.... with such a small weight and size it will have trouble going in a straight line so some type of fins or tracking device would be useful.

What engine will be going in? I'd really reccommend over 1000cc, anything less and you could be short on power...

Also how will you control it? I take it you will use some kind of remote control mounted on the ski rope/handle?

ace__05

City: Milton

PostPosted: Jan 06, 2006 11:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How do you plan on getting a large enough wake to make it useful?
thatkidchris19

City: Stephens

PostPosted: Jan 06, 2006 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

what happens when you wipe out. Even if it has an automatic shutoff youll have to swim a good bit to catch up to it.
Crazy_Constructor

PostPosted: Jan 08, 2006 5:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you!

Well here`s the plan!

Engine: We will use a Kawasaki 650cc waterjet engine, which means we basicly take everything from a jetski and put in our boat. But we will have to rebuild the turbine because it´s suppose to be placed outside the hull and we will place it on the inside. So a new intake has to be welded.

Steering: We will use a Basic Stamp 2 PIC-processor that we can programme in PBasic. This one is almost done. With this unit we can take digital inputs from waterproof buttons that is placed on the handle. And we can control serverals servos. One servo will be placed at the carburator to be our throttle.
But a servo in this size cannot control the jetski-nozzle. So we`ve got a large electrical actuator, it got enough power but it can`t be directly controlled by our control-unit. Our plan is to take the small servo and turn it into our actutor. We will try to "scale" the power and trick the control-unit.

Tracking: We have realized just as you say that it might be to light, the rider could pull over the boat. Since there is a chance of this we have done everything waterproofed for the nightmare scenario. By using fins just as on a real wakeboardboat we should get a better grip in the water and maintain control. Though I have constructed the hull, I can`t give any garanties Very Happy

Rider falls: You will always have to wear a killswitch attached to your body. The same that is used to jetskies and small outboards. When you "brake" the switch, it will send signals to the control-unit and it will idle the egine and turn the boat full portside. The boat will slowly come back to you in a circle.

Any more ideas?

Check the site because there will soon be more pictures! Very Happy

Liquid*Force*Rider
Wakeboarder.com Freak
Wakeboarder.com Freak

City: Okanagan Valley, B.C Canada

PostPosted: Jan 08, 2006 11:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The P0-P0 is going to hate you for that. Rolling Eyes
Crazy_Constructor

PostPosted: Jan 09, 2006 1:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Liquid*Force*Rider wrote:
The P0-P0 is going to hate you for that. Rolling Eyes

You mean the police? Yeah they probably will Razz

Crazy_Constructor

PostPosted: Jan 16, 2006 10:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Made a update on the boat, check it out! Very Happy

http://www.bierbower.net/diytower/solorider/Stage%204%20Files/

Northeast
Criminal
Criminal

PostPosted: Jan 17, 2006 1:46 pm    Post subject: Will there be a torque problem? Reply with quote

I think it is great you are taking on this project, and thank you for keeping us posted with updates and pictures. With the input you have received from other people on the project, have you considered the torque of the engine and the effect it will have on the "boat?" (Or I guess I should call it the solorider.) With the engine spinning, there will be a tendency for it to tip to one side. Since the hull appears narrower than a waverunner, will this be a problem? I know it will be less than if there were a propeller, but I wonder if the engine itself will be a problem. Any thoughts, anyone?
Crazy_Constructor

PostPosted: Jan 17, 2006 3:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Will there be a torque problem? Reply with quote

There will probably be a force to tip the boat as you say, but I have really no idea of the strength of it. What makes it`s even more interesting is that this hull is newer used, it`s the first of it kind. I`m thinking about mounting sternplanes so I can compensate any leaning.

I`m mostly worried for the pull point for the wakeboarder to the boat. Since it`s placed far back, it should be possible to pull the stern out of course. which will cause problems. I should try to get it at the center of the boat. But the top of the boat can`t hold that weight so it will brake. I`m thinking abour building a tower, any suggestions?

jason608

PostPosted: Jan 17, 2006 8:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hey, nevermind the feif, or swimming back to it IF it stops. This is dangerous. I'd test it in a pond and use it where theres no boats, people, docks, birds, fish, water etc ha ha!.....but look for insight in these three examples. Sailboats, inboard ski boats, and jetskis with a pylon on the stern. Sailboats have very tall masts. Imagine the mast as just really tall pylon pulling dozens or hundreds of wakeboarders pulling sideways. The reason they dont tip over constantly is much because of a very large keelfin. The mast is directly atop the keelfin. In your scenerio I would look into making the pylon/towpoint and keelfin a 1 piece unit. It might hinge or be removeable for transport. Towboats are the same way. Pylon directly above or slightly in front of keelfins. Jetskis with the towpoint on the stern have the weight of 1 or 2 riders fore to counterweight the pull on the stern, without it the bow would just constantly be pulled upward and it would never plane. Have fun, and please be careful.
Crazy_Constructor

PostPosted: Jan 18, 2006 12:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I won`t do a testrun in places people can get hurt. There are also a few safetyfunctions so that you don`t get hurt.

It will be possible to shutdown the boat by calling a mobilephone, that sends signal to kill the engine

If you don´t grab the handle after you fell in 90 seconds, it shuts down the boat.

We have a good program which will minimize any bugs, and you can still turn off the engine without using the control-unit.

As I see it, the best solution would be a small tower in the boat center, with the tracking fins right under the tower? Right?

miked
Soul Rider
Soul Rider

City: nor cal

PostPosted: Jan 18, 2006 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We saw one pulling a water skier last summer at folsom. He was getting it on. We never saw him fall so we dont know what it did without a person being towed.
jason608

PostPosted: Jan 18, 2006 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would suggest welding the pylon straight to the tracking fin. about a 4' tracking fin. Why not it dosent need to turn sharp. 1 piece. It would need some serious reinforcement but then putting some steel in there will just put more weight in to make the wake better. You might find an inexpensive keelfin from a sunfish sailboat. Good luck finding a waterproof cell phone! haha.
matt1808
Wakeboarder.Commie
Wakeboarder.Commie

PostPosted: Jan 18, 2006 4:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Crazy_Constructor, you are probably going to want a low tow point, so you won't tip it on hard cuts. I have been thinking about building one for about a year, but I don't have the time or money right now. I already have a friend that said he would be interested in doing the programming.
Crazy_Constructor

PostPosted: Jan 19, 2006 3:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

matt1808 wrote:
Crazy_Constructor, you are probably going to want a low tow point, so you won't tip it on hard cuts. I have been thinking about building one for about a year, but I don't have the time or money right now. I already have a friend that said he would be interested in doing the programming.

That`s good, then you can avoid all our misstakes Smile
Well, I don`t have a waterproof cellphone but neither do I have a waterproof control-unit. We`ve built a waterproof liquid cooling box for all electronics. Besides we don`t want the engine under water neither so the whole boat is built waterproof. Water should not be able to reach inside, just like a jetskie. Which give no need of a waterproof cellphone.

I`ve been thinking of using wakeboard fins but I`m not sure of the length. 4" sounds a little much don`t you think? I could do it out a alumium piece to solve construction problems.

Northeast
Criminal
Criminal

PostPosted: Jan 19, 2006 7:04 am    Post subject: Fins Reply with quote

More is more. You WANT deeper fins. You need something to help it track straight and also resist the pull of the rope from side to side.

Also, if you do build a small tower/cage, keep it just above the fiberglass. In this case the lower the tow point the better for stability.
Brit Rider
Wakeboarder.com Freak
Wakeboarder.com Freak

PostPosted: Jan 20, 2006 6:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

what do people think about tracking fins at the bow and stern? set in a little....
this would offer maximum 'straightline' pull but would be tricky on the corners.. unless the tracking fins are also used as a rudder... this would probably work best and offer great steering - stability in the turns will be an issue to take into consideration.

We deal with small boats and towers on a regular basis... don't do anything more than 2 feet.. the boat just won't take it. it will roll unfortunaty.

I would really just keep this as a tow device for wakeskating and skiing. the wake will never be big enough for boarding, but for skiing and skating this will be perfect!

Any news on the progress? This really is a great project! Very Happy

Natman
Addict
Addict

City: Eddy TOWN

PostPosted: Jan 20, 2006 10:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yo , sick ass sh*t, in a good way. yeah, on hard cuts. u might tip it to one side. what might interest you is to almost, run two stabalizing pontoons from each side to prevent any tiping movement. just an idea Colorful
Crazy_Constructor

PostPosted: Jan 21, 2006 9:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Natman wrote:
yo , sick ass sh*t, in a good way. yeah, on hard cuts. u might tip it to one side. what might interest you is to almost, run two stabalizing pontoons from each side to prevent any tiping movement. just an idea Colorful

That was my first idea actullay! But after doing a little thinking, I realized that if the boat started to lean on one pontoon, this pontoon would try to slow the boat which would make it turn, it would be hard trying to get the boat to go in a straight line, and you don`t want to keep adjust it all the time.

As you say brit rider it will decrease steering, what do you think about this Northeast? Question
I would like both steering and traction, but I don`t want to turn the fin. Steering will be important since there is no reverse....
Making a turning fin will give me too much more work to finish this project.

Anyone has a suggestion of fin design? what should it look like to give me ultimate steering and traction? should it be really thin?

Thanks for you help guys! I really appreciate it! Smile

vawakemonster
Wakeboarder.Commie
Wakeboarder.Commie

PostPosted: Jan 21, 2006 10:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hoow about a smaller fin and a bigggg rudder?

K-dub wrote:
......hell, even borrowing your mom's lotion and rubbing one out would be a good idea to pass some time.
Crazy_Constructor

PostPosted: Jan 21, 2006 10:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

vawakemonster wrote:
hoow about a smaller fin and a bigggg rudder?

Problem is that using a jetski turbine you don`t really have a ruder, you steer the whole nozzle instead. But I believe this should give much better steering compared to a rudder?

Brit Rider
Wakeboarder.com Freak
Wakeboarder.com Freak

PostPosted: Jan 22, 2006 4:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

Problem is that using a jetski turbine you don`t really have a ruder, you steer the whole nozzle instead. But I believe this should give much better steering compared to a rudder?

totally correct.. but it will do nothing for stability (the jet alone). if you could hook a linkage up to a rudder off the jet steering linkage this would give better cornering stability and help with straightline tracking too...

it not just the straight runs that need stability... when cornering you will need even more! Very Happy

Crazy_Constructor

PostPosted: Jan 22, 2006 12:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How about a fin attached to the jetnozzle? that would increase steering and tracking? Confused
vawakemonster
Wakeboarder.Commie
Wakeboarder.Commie

PostPosted: Jan 22, 2006 2:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was thinking that but turning a fin is alot harder then turning a nozel. so it may damage the turning motor...

-Erik

K-dub wrote:
matt1808
Wakeboarder.Commie
Wakeboarder.Commie

PostPosted: Jan 22, 2006 5:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wouldn't think turning would be a problem, so maybe just some tracking fins. As long as you keep a low center of gravity in it I think a couple tracking fins would be enough.
Crazy_Constructor

PostPosted: Jan 23, 2006 12:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

matt1808 wrote:
I wouldn't think turning would be a problem, so maybe just some tracking fins. As long as you keep a low center of gravity in it I think a couple tracking fins would be enough.

You`re right about the steering engine, it might not take the extra force. But since jetnoozle gives superior steering, it should be engough just to place fins at the center of the boat just as you are saying?

But should I place the pulling point in a very small tower or at the stern?

Northeast
Criminal
Criminal

PostPosted: Jan 24, 2006 7:56 am    Post subject: Fins Reply with quote

Greetings Constructor,

I've been thinking about your fin configuration and I can't quite decide. One idea would be having two fins in line along the center (keel). One would be toward the stern (back) and another in front of it about 1/2 way between the bow & stern. The other option (and this could be added if that idea does not provide enough tracking and stability) is to have fins on either side of the keel, perhaps one to two feet from the stern (perhaps 1/2 meter in your case). Some small flat-bottomed boats have used these to help turn and keeping the boat from sliding out. I am picturing fins about the size of a slalom waterski. My idea would be to start with two, test, and then considering adding more if necessary. I would avoid having one in the front, though. One roughly in the center will be more effective I think.
Brit Rider
Wakeboarder.com Freak
Wakeboarder.com Freak

PostPosted: Jan 24, 2006 10:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

matt1808, its not turning that the issue. its stability while turning...
when turning with a rider on the back the boat will want to roll.

matt1808
Wakeboarder.Commie
Wakeboarder.Commie

PostPosted: Jan 24, 2006 11:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brit Rider, thats what I was saying, stability all the time. Wouldn't tracking fins help when turning too?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wakeboarder Forum Index -> DIY Projects All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Add To Favorites

Jump to: