Wakeboarder Forum Index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   StatisticsStats   FavoritesFavorites   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages  Log inLog in 
BlogsBlogs   

Painting Trailer

View previous topic :: View next topic  
swilly
Soul Rider
Soul Rider

City: Eugene

PostPosted: Feb 05, 2006 8:24 pm    Post subject: Painting Trailer Reply with quote

I'm wanting to paint my trailer but my boat currently sits on it. I've heard of people masking and papering the boat while its on the trailer, then sanding and rattle can the trailer. I have a white trailer so color matching will be easy.

Just want to know if I take my time, will rattle can look ok? Is it necessary to sand a bunch if you use that rust type paint?
Jensen
Wakeboarder.com Freak
Wakeboarder.com Freak

City: Chico

PostPosted: Feb 05, 2006 8:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

swilly, i think it could turn out decent as long as you use multiple coats of the color and then a couple of the clear. but you don't want to use too many coats of clear cuz it will start to yellow. I think its very important to wet sand inbetween coats with 600 grit and above sandpaper. theres probably a few tutorials out there on google, check them out.
tmbrown
Outlaw
Outlaw

City: East Roseville

PostPosted: Feb 06, 2006 6:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

swilly - let us know how that comes out... I just recently bought a new trailer for my boat - got a good deal taking one off a dealer's hands rather than ordering to match the boat... but it's green, and my boat is read (looks christmasy)... I'm really thinking about repainting it... though rather than rattle-can it, I'd spray it with single-stage automotive paint with a compressor (I've been looking for an excuse to buy one)... also, I'd personally use the single-stage that doesn't require the clear because it'd be much easier to touch up...

As far as what to do with the boat, I've been kicking that one around... I had to do temporary repairs on my old trailer which required that the boat not be on it... what I did was use 2 6ft. 4x4's and ran them along-side the bunks, then using 2 jacks and 4 jackstands, I jacked the boat up off of the trailer. I considered doing something very similar, but basically pulling the trailer slowly out from under the boat (using enuf jackstands to where I could move them out of the way as the trailer moves past). a little iffy, but might work. Other thought was to leave the boat up at my aunt's lake tied to her dock for a week while I bring the trailer home to paint it... but that requires waiting 'till boating season.
wakessories
Soul Rider
Soul Rider

PostPosted: Feb 08, 2006 10:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't use your typical spray paint from say Walmart! Use Implement paint. I actually took my boat to the local marine shop and had them hoist the boat onto one of their spare old trailers. They charged me $75 for four days! Then I disassembled the trailer (fenders, etc.) and hung in my garage and sprayed away. (DONT FORGET TO HANG PLASTIC) otherwise your entire garage will be whatever color your new trailer is.

I would try to sand, grind down as much rust as possible! I found that a sanding disc drill attachment worked better then a wire drill attachment. You change the sand paper more, but it's faster and kills two birds with one stone.

This is the type paint I used! Awesome stuff that does NOT chip or crack unless severly abused.

`` Forgot to mention that a clear coat is not necessary with this stuff ``

http://www.mytscstore.com/detail.asp?pcID=4&paID=1032&sonID=456&productID=52

http://www.mytscstore.com/detail.asp?pcID=4&paID=1032&sonID=456&productID=9172
swilly
Soul Rider
Soul Rider

PostPosted: Feb 08, 2006 11:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

wakessories, how many cans of paint did you go through?
ttuclint
Addict
Addict

City: Lubbock, TX

PostPosted: Feb 08, 2006 12:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pretty much ignore everything tj said, nothing personal.

We painted our last trailer with dupli-color engine enamel and it turned out great. Sand down everything you can, wash it with dish soap, and paint away. No need for sanding between coats or clear coat, it's a trailer.

also - get a spray can gun if you don't have one. Makes things alot easier and smoother.
wakessories
Soul Rider
Soul Rider

PostPosted: Feb 08, 2006 1:17 pm    Post subject: reply Reply with quote

I actually opt'd to use an air compress sprayer instead of the cans! Made the process faster. Same paint though! Used a full quart and one can of paint for touch ups. If I had to guess, you'd probably be looking at 8-12 cans because of all the waste the cans produce.
bremsen
Outlaw
Outlaw

City: Charlotte

PostPosted: Feb 08, 2006 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wakessories, did you have to thin the paint for the gun? I have access to a large compressor at work and can buy a cheap gun at Northern. Boat is gonna get a few weeks in a slip this summer so I thought I'd use the time and get the trailer back into shape.
wakessories
Soul Rider
Soul Rider

PostPosted: Feb 08, 2006 2:42 pm    Post subject: reply Reply with quote

I believe I did thin it a little. Can't remember the proportions though. I was actually going to use regular car paint and a hardner before using this Implement paint recommended by a guy that swore by it. I'm pretty sure it says exactly how to get the best results on the can/quart/gallon. If you have access to a gun, that's the way to go! You'll get a better coverage (less chance of drip) and if you enjoy doing that kind of stuff, you'll have a blast. I don't regret doing it at all, well except for the clean up afterwards! If you do it in your garage, wet the concrete prior to painting! This will save your floor! And if you want to get real creative you could buy a can or two of the Line-x type stuff (3M makes a good one) and do the inside of your wheel wells and your trailer step pads.

The name of the paint says it all. BEST PAINT SOLD!
swilly
Soul Rider
Soul Rider

PostPosted: Feb 08, 2006 4:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So when is one of you guys gonna come paint my boat?
jonsmith2340
Soul Rider
Soul Rider

PostPosted: Feb 14, 2006 12:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've done my fair share of painting on metal surfaces from race cars to rotary mowers. My advice is as follows: clean the surfaces as much as you can, the more old paint and rust you can get rid of the better your paint job will turn out. I would avoid rattle cans like the plague, things painted with rattle cans typically don't look uniform and the finish doesn't last as long. Also if you spray the trailor from a spray gun you can add hardener to the paint. I typically get use automotive quality paints, they cost more but are worth it in the long run, espeically if you spend much time in prep!

I start by spraying a very thin coat of primer (depending on how bare I get the metal). I like to let that stand overnight. I mix paint with a good thinner about 2 parts paint to one part thinner. Once you think you have it mixed get a large piece of cardboard and start to paint that. Adjust your flow on the gun and figure out what works for you as far as settings and arm speed. If the paint runs you may have it too thin or too much air. If doesn't cover uniformly it may be too thick or you need more air. It could take half of one mix of paint to get this set but it will help to make sure you don't have runs on your final project.

Once you have the feel for painting put a real thin coat of color over the primer. If you are happy with how that looks wait until the first coat of color is tacky and then spray with the same mixture of thinner and paint except add one cap full of automotive paint hardener to the mixture. This will really help the paint last. But make sure you don't leave any of this in the gun for more then a hour! I usually end up with three to four thin coats of color for a nice finish. If you like what you have and want to make it really shine you can put a clear coat over the top with about twice the dose of hardener. I usually don't wet sand in between coats but that is a personal preference.

Good luck and let us see some pics of the progress!!
swilly
Soul Rider
Soul Rider

PostPosted: Feb 14, 2006 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for all the info guys but I've never painted anything before and I'm not going to try on my boat trailer. I think I'm gonna have to take this in to get painted!
kmagnuss
Wakeboarder.Commie
Wakeboarder.Commie

City: Sarasota, FL

PostPosted: Feb 18, 2006 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just use spray on truck liner and forget it.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wakeboarder Forum Index -> DIY Projects All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Add To Favorites

Jump to: