Wakeboarder Forum Index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   StatisticsStats   FavoritesFavorites   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages  Log inLog in 
BlogsBlogs   

Fins? whats the deal?!?!?!

View previous topic :: View next topic  
pipi D

City: London, ENGLAND

PostPosted: May 01, 2003 12:08 pm    Post subject: Fins? whats the deal?!?!?! Reply with quote

Im some what confused with fins? ive seen loads advertised but dont know how much of a differnce they will make? i have basic fins on there and was just wandering do they really make that much of a difference?
Thank ya
Pip

Krashr31
Outlaw
Outlaw

City: Florida

PostPosted: May 01, 2003 12:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Go to cdifins.com and click on engineering. that may answer some of your questions.
Nathan Newman
Addict
Addict

City: Baylor

PostPosted: May 01, 2003 2:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fins make all the difference in the world. They determine the tracking of the board, the edge, the pop, how loose it feels, etc...
fins can drastically change the way a board rides/feels

An eye for an eye will make the world blind.
-Gandhi

It is better to die standing than to live on your knees.
-Che Guevera
pooser
Wakeboarder.com Freak
Wakeboarder.com Freak

PostPosted: May 01, 2003 5:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you dont know what difference the fins will make you are probably doing fine with just the fins the board comes with. As you get more experienced you may want to get different fins to give you a grippier feel or a looser feel depending on your preferences.
x2xwakegurlx2x

PostPosted: May 01, 2003 7:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nathan Newman wrote:
fins make all the difference in the world. They determine the tracking of the board, the edge, the pop, how loose it feels, etc...
fins can drastically change the way a board rides/feels

he's got it right, thats a really good way of putting it in short terms too, well done Nathan, couldnt have said it better my self

find make a BIG difference, you can try experimenting with different ones to see which fell you like best
tdes
Soul Rider
Soul Rider

City: Orlando

PostPosted: May 07, 2003 2:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

But when you're doing a progressive edge or cutting really hard or whatever, do the fins still make a difference? I've always thought that it's the edge of the board that's doing all the work in that case, and fins pretty much just help you keep the board straight.

Granted I'm no expert, but I've tried the no-fins approach a few times and found that I can cut in just as hard as with fins - but it gets a little squirly sometimes and I find myself doing some unintentional 180s or getting off balance. I figure that I'm just a crappy wakeboarder still and with a little practice I wouldn't really rely on fins anymore. Am I way off the mark here or what?
x2xwakegurlx2x

PostPosted: May 07, 2003 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tdes wrote:
But when you're doing a progressive edge or cutting really hard or whatever, do the fins still make a difference?

but it gets a little squirly sometimes and I find myself doing some unintentional 180s or getting off balance.

The fins do make a difference in your edge, and they make a big difference with your pop off the wake.....it gets squirly like that becasue there are no fins, or too small of fins, if ya had fins, that wouldnt happen, and you would do unintentional 180's....if fins werent important, and served no purpose, then there probably wouldnt be so many different ones to choose from, fins are important
Josh R
Wakeboarder.com Freak
Wakeboarder.com Freak

City: Melbourne, Australia

PostPosted: May 07, 2003 11:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, fins make a huge difference. It's best to play around and see what you like, but the general trend is moving towards smaller fins for many reasons.

Like Krashr31 said, check out the CDIfins.com website, there is a link in my sig.

tdes
Soul Rider
Soul Rider

PostPosted: May 08, 2003 7:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah...nice site. I'll play around and see what fits me best. I've tried the double-on-each-side small fins and really liked it for doing surface 180s. See, I used to kneeboard a lot when I was younger and I always took the fins off because I could cut just as hard without them and had more freedom to rotate.
Nathan Newman
Addict
Addict

PostPosted: May 08, 2003 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My subjekt has small cupped fins. They are ideal because when just cruising, yo get that nice, buttery, loose feel. But when you edge in, the cupped action makes it edge and pop like a mofo Cool

-Gandhi

-Che Guevera
J_DOGG
PityDaFool Who Posts This Much
PityDaFool Who Posts This Much

City: New Hampshire

PostPosted: May 09, 2003 11:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tdes----when you get squirly that means you are not riding the edge of the board.... that's why most pro's don't use fins or have molded in fins at the most....they truly use the edge of the board....

Us regular guys need the extra grip when cutting hard..cuz we are more like half and half....

changing fins will change the way the board rides like mentioned above....On my Helix I was always changing fins, depending on the day....

Aubs wrote:
J Dogg - I thought of you last night.

"Everyone wants a bite, it don't happen over night"!
tdes
Soul Rider
Soul Rider

PostPosted: May 09, 2003 12:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, it's not like I'm trying to go pro or anything, just trying to get a nice smooth style riding and improve my balance for now - riding switch and doing all the 180s is my focus.

So if most of the pros don't use fins or use the molded in ones, why would I want to use fins and start to rely on them? I mean, it's not like I'm doing anything cool anyway and will disappoint anyone that watches me (actually I've been told it's really funny when I get all out of whack with no fins). It would seem that the no-fins approach would force me to learn better balance, thus giving me a better base for when I start gettin really ballsy.

I've improved quite a bit since trying no-fins, I'm gonna try it out this weekend, if I can still cut hard enough to go W2W, I'll be leaving them in the boat from now on.
Liprider
Criminal
Criminal

City: Loudon TN-Tellico Lake!

PostPosted: May 09, 2003 12:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

good call tdes Very Happy
Nathan Newman
Addict
Addict

PostPosted: May 09, 2003 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah, tdes, that's a good idea. develop your own style, learn the basics rock solid, don't try to get ahead of yourself, leave the fins in the boat and be liberated from the restrictions of being locked in all the time...

I've pretty much figured out my style, I like to slide around and stuff in between tricks, I try to hit both wakes, ts or hs, reg or switch... I'm trying to go big on everything and grab everything too. I am going to strive to make all my grabs legit and tweak 'em and stuff.
yup. that's my goal by the end of summer. that's my riding style. smoooooth Cool

-Gandhi

-Che Guevera
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wakeboarder Forum Index -> Trick Tips All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Add To Favorites

Jump to: