Wakeboarder Forum Index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   StatisticsStats   FavoritesFavorites   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages  Log inLog in 
BlogsBlogs   

Gear Suggestions (little help please)

View previous topic :: View next topic  
dyost
Criminal
Criminal

City: Peoria

PostPosted: Nov 30, 2005 11:27 am    Post subject: Gear Suggestions (little help please) Reply with quote

Can anyone recommend a brand of snowboard/boots/bindings for me. I probably only snowboard 5-7 days a year but am tired of renting and want my own set-up (might make me go more).

I am not advanced but not beginner either. I can ride about any hill with confidence and do grabs, some 180's and simple rails in the park. Looking for an all mountain board I can progress into but don't want to break the bank dollar wise.

I would need a board in the 165-167 range, something wide as my feet are 12.5. Of all my rentals I liked a Burton Floater the best. I also hate step in or cliker bindings.

Any advice as to what brands are good, board stiffness, etc. I just really don't know all the brands that well like I do in wake. I would hate to think I'm getting a deal and end up with snowboard equivalent to Hydroslide.

Thanks!

jryoung
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

City: Man Jose

PostPosted: Nov 30, 2005 11:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You need it dive into the brands to find what is best for you, as each make a variety of products that will suit you.

Brand specific:
Boards: Burton, Lib Tech, Gnu, Never Summer (burton and Mervin make many wide boards)
Bindings: Burton, Bent Metal, Drake, Technine
Boots: Burton, Salomon, Northwave, DC, 32

How much do you weigh a 165-167 is a big stick. Also, try on every boot possible, each is different and will make or break your day on the hill. Don't pay attention to boot price until you have found a great fit. If it costs you $300 go for it, if it cost you $120 go for it as well, focus on fit.

In the end you can most likely find the best deals on Burton, because they are the largest company and there is plenty of equipment in the market. There are other deals out there of course, but they are usually more difficult to find.

Here are a few boards to start with: Lib Tech Pacifier 164 Wide, Lib Tech Pheonix Series 160 Wide, Gnu Carbon High Beam 161W, 164W, 167W, Burton Cruzer Wide, Burton Baron, there are many many others out there just start hitting some websites.

AOliver
Wakeboarder.Commie
Wakeboarder.Commie

City: Knoxville

PostPosted: Nov 30, 2005 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dyost, what jryoung said.
Damon
Wakeboarder.Commie
Wakeboarder.Commie

City: Federal Way / Bellingham

PostPosted: Nov 30, 2005 5:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jryoung, I was talking to a friend up at crystal, he said Lib Tech's boards are made with less fiberglass, making them lighter, but it takes the pop out of them quicker, so they are good 1 season boards, but not too good if you plan on keepin them for a while. Think there is any truth to this?
jryoung
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

City: Man Jose

PostPosted: Nov 30, 2005 5:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laugh Damon, I've heard of people saying that libs don't last as long, but never the reason why. I'm sure Jay Dutton could confirm or deny that info. [/list]
Damon
Wakeboarder.Commie
Wakeboarder.Commie

City: Federal Way / Bellingham

PostPosted: Nov 30, 2005 5:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

eh, even if it is true, think anyone can actually feel a difference?
juiced4ever
Outlaw
Outlaw

City: Truckee

PostPosted: Nov 30, 2005 8:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try Option snowboards as well they have the second largest line up of snowboards next to Burton. Option GT wide is a good quality board for the buck.

Black Flys
dyost
Criminal
Criminal

City: Peoria

PostPosted: Dec 10, 2005 9:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I did it. Bought my setup a couple days ago. I got a Sims FSR 150 board (165cm), and bought a package deal with Airwalk boots and Lamar MX30 binings. How did I do?

Found all of this on Ebay buy it now, got the board for $109 (last year's model) and the boots/bindings for $100. I don't think the board is specifically a "wide" board but I checked the measurements with a lot of companies wides and this was less than 1 cm narrower. That shouldn't be enough to make a difference for someone at my level right?

Anyways if anyone's used any of this stuff or brands and had problems let me know, I could still send back before I use it.

Thanks
-Yost

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wakeboarder Forum Index -> Snowboarding All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Add To Favorites

Jump to: