Wakeboarder Forum Index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   StatisticsStats   FavoritesFavorites   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages  Log inLog in 
BlogsBlogs   

Rebuilding? an old banana board

View previous topic :: View next topic  
LFADAM
PityDaFool Who Posts This Much

City: New York City

PostPosted: Nov 24, 2005 4:13 pm    Post subject: Rebuilding? an old banana board Reply with quote

So a few years ago my neighbor just gave me this rad old banana board. I didnt use it too much until I got inspired by "Lords of Dogtown" Ive been using it alot lately but the deck cracked. (Its too small anyways) The trucks and wheels are great so I want to build my own deck. Ive sketched it out and stuff...Itll be something like 2.5 feet long and 9 inches wide...what kind of wood should I use thatll be strong enough for a deck?
Jester
Wakeboarder.com Freak
Wakeboarder.com Freak

City: Boston

PostPosted: Nov 24, 2005 11:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ummm, you know that if you just go buy wood at a hardware store you're probably not gonna get a good skateboard outta that, right? Skate decks consist of multiple layers of wood pressed flat. A single layer is gonna break/wear out pretty fast.
wake_quake
Wakeboarder.Commie
Wakeboarder.Commie

City: Brisbane

PostPosted: Nov 25, 2005 12:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i made a skate deck in manual arts at school... it lasted for one 180 Sad
vette74
Wakeboarder.Commie
Wakeboarder.Commie

City: Houston

PostPosted: Nov 25, 2005 7:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Call around to a few lumber yards and ask if they have any "hardwood plywood" it is going to cost you though they probably only sell it in 4'x8' sheets.
LFADAM

PostPosted: Nov 25, 2005 7:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jester, yea I know...thats why I thought it was weird that the original deck was one piece of wood. So your saying I should use hard plywood?
LFADAM

PostPosted: Dec 09, 2005 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I got ambitious a few days ago and just rebuilt the current deck. I got a blade screwdriver out and began to take the old orange paint off like I did with my wakeskate when I realized I had an electric sander. Never used it before, picked it up and within 3 minutes it was completely paintless and the edges were silky smooth. Looked great. So I go out and buy some grip tape at the local skate/snow shop for 5 bucks. Ive read up on re gripping wakeskates so I had an idea of what I was doing. I layed it out and pressed it to the deck. I know your supposed to cut it with a razor blade and I tried to and it was NOT working, it was just making white marks on it so I got a little worried but I got a box cutter out (yea basically the same thing) and it sliced through it like a hot knife through butter. I realize now that I shoulda cut the shape before I attached it. (Some of my razor blade cutting lines were not perfectly straight, oh well, first time around) The grip tape is an awesome addition! I test drove it a little yesterday and today and I love it. I still have that huge chip on the kicktail so I didnt grip it but besides looking bad it gives your foot a little grip. (its a clean but jagged chip)

So overall, Im satisfied. For taking a total of less than 1 hour and 5 dollars, I may end up regripping it with some nicer cooler designs soon. If anyone wants, Ill get some pics on here.
Ctipping
Wakeboarder.com Freak
Wakeboarder.com Freak

City: Vancouver

PostPosted: Dec 27, 2005 10:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes please
pooser
Wakeboarder.com Freak
Wakeboarder.com Freak

PostPosted: Dec 27, 2005 11:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LFADAM, gripping is a fine art but its really easy. dont cut the shape out before hand. you need a file, some type of razor(box cutter will work fine just needs to be sharp), and a sheet of grip. Take off the grip and lay it on. ive seen many different ways off doing it, just be careful not to get air bubbles. now heres the magic. use the file to trace the shape of your deck on the grip. just run it around the edge a couple times and youll get a nice light grey line. now take your razor and try and follow the line as close to the deck ass possible. itll be messy at first but you get better.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wakeboarder Forum Index -> Skateboarding All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Add To Favorites

Jump to: