Wakeboarder Forum Index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   StatisticsStats   FavoritesFavorites   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages  Log inLog in 
BlogsBlogs   

Pad Nazi's

View previous topic :: View next topic  
pooser
Wakeboarder.com Freak
Wakeboarder.com Freak

PostPosted: Nov 04, 2005 8:35 pm    Post subject: Pad Nazi's Reply with quote

I can live with pad rules but this is Bubb Rubbing ridiculous. A friend and I got kicked out of the local park today cuz apparently our pads arent regulation. Ive got soft volleyball style kneepads instead of skate pads with plastic shells cuz they are more comfortable. Sure ive been skating there for years with the same pads and was even there last friday but apparently their no good anymore. It wouldnt even be that big of a deal if they specified in the park rules somewhere but to roll up with everything you need and be turned away is Bubb Rubb away is complete stuff. They want to keep skaters of the streets so they give you this dinky ass park on the outskirts of town that you have to pay for. Bubb Rubb YOU. well to keep this from just being pointless ravings does anyone know if the plastic shell actually helps prevent injury? if anyone knows of any scientific evidence so we could change this lame ass rule. ill probably go back next friday with some pvc duct taped onto my pads so i can skate.

at least the day wasnt a total loss. at a wallride we found we came across a pump, pumping a large a mount of water out of someones backyard of an abandoned house. Twisted Evil going back on monday when its finished. Left hand kidneys are sick.
abovethewake
Addict
Addict

City: sarasota

PostPosted: Nov 05, 2005 7:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Headless Chicken, i hate pads. they just built a new park downtown lke... 2-3 years ago and it was sick, full pads but you got used to it, it was ALL tranny. the whole reason it was proposed was so kids wouldnt skate downtown and get in all the old peoples way. now they charge money, soooo strict and noone goes there

Last edited by abovethewake on Nov 06, 2005 1:48 pm; edited 1 time in total
pooser
Wakeboarder.com Freak
Wakeboarder.com Freak

PostPosted: Nov 05, 2005 9:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

eh. jesters still around, i havent seen frederick eisenhauer in a while. this isnt really the place to talk about skateboarding. theres always skateboard sity(little preteen wanna be badass skaters) and concretedisciples and poolrider(sites for those old carvers, tranny dawgs and people genuinely dedicated to skating) even wakeskating.com has a better skate forum.
Jester
Wakeboarder.com Freak
Wakeboarder.com Freak

City: Boston

PostPosted: Nov 05, 2005 12:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I don't know of any studies that have been done comparing pad efficiency, but I wouldn't bank on volleyball pads saving your knees, that's for sure. When I was in high school I wore volleyball pads for wrestling and I STILL blew out my knee. And that's on a mat, I can't imagine how bad my knee woulda been if I had taken a slam on concrete.

I'm not into the whole pad thing either, that's kinda weird that they're enforcing full pads. Usually helmets are the only thing parks will really enforce hardcore.

Not sure how national this news went, but a Santa Cruz skater died at a local park a couple weeks ago. Took a big spill on his head and never woke up. The cops have always made casual drive-bys to make sure people are wearing their gear, but if you're not they usually just tell you to make sure you do. Today I saw tickets going out for the first time in a while. I'm lucky I saw 'em driving up & ran to my car to grab my helmet. Tried to warn a few kids, but they were too slow on the draw, I guess they thought they were just gonna get warned again.
pooser
Wakeboarder.com Freak
Wakeboarder.com Freak

PostPosted: Nov 05, 2005 12:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i dont wear pads for protection i wear them cuz i have too. the guys at the park were saying that theyve seen kids break their elbows wearing hard pads so we didnt really see it doesnt really make sense to me as to why they require hard pads if they know your gonna get injured either way. the plastic isnt going to give you any impact protection is it? it just helps you slide and keeps the fabric underneath from getting worn down. I think im more mad that skaters arent running the park. i couldnt stop laughing after the guy told my friend to watch his language when he muttered Bubb Rubb under his breath cuz they werent letting us in. he had to be kidding this is skating.
wake_quake
Wakeboarder.Commie
Wakeboarder.Commie

City: Brisbane

PostPosted: Nov 05, 2005 8:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

solution = buy smaller wheels and take up street sk8ing
pooser
Wakeboarder.com Freak
Wakeboarder.com Freak

PostPosted: Nov 05, 2005 8:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wake_quake, holy crap, ive never thought of that before. all these years that ive been going to the park i could have been out in the streets getting hassled by cops, store owners, and pedestrians. I never knew that ollieing down sets and grinding ledges was fun. Thank you so much, an entire new world of skating has opened up to me. Rolling Eyes
abovethewake
Addict
Addict

City: sarasota

PostPosted: Nov 06, 2005 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Headless Chicken, aaahhahaha

Quote:

at least the day wasnt a total loss. at a wallride

hmm and he doesnt skate street?

aceyx
Addict
Addict

City: dirty

PostPosted: Nov 07, 2005 12:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The hard plastic shell dissapates the impact. The foam absorbs.

Take a kitchen sponge and push your finger into it. See how easy your finger reaches the other side? Now lay a piece of plastic or even a piece of cardboard over top. Now try to push your finger through, and note how much more effort it takes, because you have to compress the entire sponge, not just the surface under your fingertip.

Obviously, it's not impossible since it's a kitchen sponge, but I hope you can see the principle at work.
pooser
Wakeboarder.com Freak
Wakeboarder.com Freak

PostPosted: Nov 08, 2005 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

aceyx, makes sense. whatever ill probably end up pickin up some really cheapass pads from sport chalet for like $20.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wakeboarder Forum Index -> Skateboarding All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Add To Favorites

Jump to: