Wakeboarder Forum Index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   StatisticsStats   FavoritesFavorites   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages  Log inLog in 
BlogsBlogs   

Another X mas Trip (Need help)
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
K-wood Kid
Wakeboarder.Commie
Wakeboarder.Commie

City: Dallas

PostPosted: Oct 18, 2005 6:36 pm    Post subject: Another X mas Trip (Need help) Reply with quote

Well me and a buddy want to road trip from Houston to Angel Fire New Mexico for some snowboarding. Here is the backbone of our plans, but we need help with details. Get together 5 guys includign us and leave Dec 26th morning. Head up and check into some hotel late that night. Get one room. Bring sleeping bags and just crash the room. Ride the 27th-Jan 2nd and check out early morning of Jan 3rd to drive home. Lift tickets and rental gear are going to cost enough, so we would save by all pitching in for gas and hotel room. Any other plans, keep in mind we are all between 16-18.

www.ridecwb.com
Blake
Wakeboarder.com Freak
Wakeboarder.com Freak

City: Seattle

PostPosted: Oct 18, 2005 7:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Plan to have reliable transportation man. I do ask this though; why not fly? Its going to be cheaper in the long run dude. South West would get you young broke ass nuggas there cheap enough. Thats just FYI though.
K-wood Kid
Wakeboarder.Commie
Wakeboarder.Commie

PostPosted: Oct 18, 2005 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Blake, we aren't old enough to rent a car though. Also splitting gas between 5 guys and trading off driving shifts shouldn't be bad at all.

www.ridecwb.com
Blake
Wakeboarder.com Freak
Wakeboarder.com Freak

PostPosted: Oct 18, 2005 8:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

K-wood Kid, until you get pulled over and get some gay ticket and or the car breaks down. And the 18 year old can rent a car. They just tack on 30 extra a day. Dude, fly it, have the hotel pick you up at the airport, and be done with it. It will cut down on the headache dude. I know you went to feel all old by road tripping, but it isnt worth it.
K-wood Kid
Wakeboarder.Commie
Wakeboarder.Commie

PostPosted: Oct 18, 2005 9:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Blake, I dont think like 2 of the kids parents will pay for air fare.

www.ridecwb.com
Blake
Wakeboarder.com Freak
Wakeboarder.com Freak

PostPosted: Oct 18, 2005 9:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

K-wood Kid, well i dont think i would have 2 of my friends there. From a safety stand point, its a hell of a ton safer too. Quit making excuses, and tell them to go mow some lawns.
Damon
Wakeboarder.Commie
Wakeboarder.Commie

City: Federal Way / Bellingham

PostPosted: Oct 18, 2005 9:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How far of a drive is it, and how old are you guys?

Everyone has to have a roadtrip before they get out of highschool.

Blake
Wakeboarder.com Freak
Wakeboarder.com Freak

PostPosted: Oct 18, 2005 11:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laugh Damon, that is hands down the most retarded thing I have heard in a while. You should go stick a fork into an electical socket.
Damon
Wakeboarder.Commie
Wakeboarder.Commie

PostPosted: Oct 19, 2005 10:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

oh sad
K-wood Kid
Wakeboarder.Commie
Wakeboarder.Commie

PostPosted: Oct 19, 2005 4:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Blake I'm pretty sure you have to be 25 to rent a car now.

www.ridecwb.com
Blake
Wakeboarder.com Freak
Wakeboarder.com Freak

PostPosted: Oct 19, 2005 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

K-wood Kid, No you dont. I am 20 and rent one every year when I fly into Reno, and drive up to Tahoe. Well, since I was 18. They charge something like 30 dollars more a day. It is such a moot point though, eff the car rentel, fly to where you are going, and call the hotel or lodge and tell them to pick your ass up. They do that for free you know.If it is a mountain town, you can easily walk to where you need to go. Beaver Creek, Lake Tahoe, and Aspin are all that way, so I dont know what makes this place any different.
robby j
Outlaw
Outlaw

City: Galena, Nevada

PostPosted: Oct 20, 2005 12:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

New Mexico is only one state away from Texas and you are trying to convince the kid to fly? Its only like an 11 hour drive. Seriously, me and my college buddies took 2 snowboarding trips a year that were a minimum 15 hour drive from Minnesota. The ride is the best part. Pack the car with your gear, buy a case of red bull, an ipod full of tunes and head out. You never know what sort of sweet stuff is going to happen on the road. Plus its not like he's planning on going to Aspen or Deer Valley. This is Angelfire we are talking about, it's not a destination resort. It'd be an extreme hassle getting from the airport (i dont even know where you'd fly into Albequerque?) to the resort with out a car. I dont even know if they'd even pick him up. So take my advice Kwood, have your moms bake you up some snacks and pack up your ford tempo with all your boys. If you guys were in Nevada i'd totally buy the beer.
Blake
Wakeboarder.com Freak
Wakeboarder.com Freak

PostPosted: Oct 20, 2005 1:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

robby j, Shut up... Texas, is a rather large state. Try 12 hours to El Paso.
robby j
Outlaw
Outlaw

PostPosted: Oct 20, 2005 2:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why is that relevant? he's not even going to el paso...i admit i underestimated the drive... its 888 miles from houston to angelfire.... average 75 miles an hour and the trip takes 11 hours and 45 minutes....am i the only one who feels as if this isnt a far road trip at all?.... that it'll be way way cheaper, more fun, and less of a hassle than flying if he can find some buddies to drive with him?........i'd like to hear everyone elses thoughts
jryoung
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

City: Man Jose

PostPosted: Oct 20, 2005 2:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

robby j wrote:
its 888 miles from houston to angelfire.... average 75 miles an hour and the trip takes 11 hours and 45 minutes....am i the only one who feels as if this isnt a far road trip at all?....

While I don't think is it too far and love the idea of a road trip, 75mph avg is unrealistic. For trips of that length, a 60-65 mph is about the best you'll get. Trust me, I've driven coast to coast before (twice) and was all about making good time, it's not possible unless you are driving triple digits the whole way.

robby j
Outlaw
Outlaw

PostPosted: Oct 20, 2005 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So then we say its a 15 hour drive....I still say road trip it
Blake
Wakeboarder.com Freak
Wakeboarder.com Freak

PostPosted: Oct 20, 2005 3:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

robby j, then you spend to much time driving, and not enough time relaxing. I dont know about you, but I wouldnt trust any person to drive that strait, without feeling tired. You can say shifts all you want, but it just wont happen man. Then, you run the risk of car troubles, and police officers. The DPS says that every mile you put on your car, you are doing 50 cents worth of damage to it. Explain to me, how driving would be any cheaper. One can fly round trip for about 150 south west airlines. I have logged more hours driving than many other people well up into age, and I say that flying is a better way to go. Is driving fun? It certainly is not in my opinion. I dont know what is fun about piling way to many people into a vehicle, having luggage present, smelling farts, and everything else for 15 to 17 hours. Then, it is pretty easy to get lost, so you might just tack on 2 more hours of drive time.
jryoung
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

City: Man Jose

PostPosted: Oct 20, 2005 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Blake, You've obviously never been on a road trip. Two of my most memoriable trips in college were road trips, it's a good time. Music, scenery (although there ain't much in TX), philosphical conversations, smelly farts, and stories to tell.

Why are you so adamantly opposed to someone else's trip, when your suggestion won't work anyway (they can't rent a car).

Blake
Wakeboarder.com Freak
Wakeboarder.com Freak

PostPosted: Oct 20, 2005 3:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jryoung, Its not about a Bubb Rubbing rental car dude. I am apposed to them because when I was 18 when drove to NY and on the way back an 18 wheeler smached my buddies Suburban killing two of my friends. That was one great road trip right there. We did Florida when we were 16, Cali when we were 17, and lost two of my dearest friends when I was 18.
K-wood Kid
Wakeboarder.Commie
Wakeboarder.Commie

PostPosted: Oct 24, 2005 6:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well despite Blake's voice against the road trip I have compiled a cost list and this is what she looks like. Leave dec 26th night get back morning of January 3rd, 9 days overall. 6 nights in the hotel 6 days on the mountain. (leave on 26th get there the day of the 27th check in and check out the surroundings, board it up 28th-2nd and leave sometime that night returning sometime in the day on the 3rd) Including :
Lodging (one 2 queen size bed room bring your sleeping bags crash fest)
Food
Lift tickets
Rental Gear
Gas
and 200 bucks for leisure or random sh*t (always need some cushion)

4 people: 1165.01 5 people: 1097.61 6 people: 1052.68 per person

www.ridecwb.com
Blake
Wakeboarder.com Freak
Wakeboarder.com Freak

PostPosted: Oct 24, 2005 8:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

K-wood Kid, Travel safe and I mean that. Dont do anything stupid, and be a defencive driver.
Damon
Wakeboarder.Commie
Wakeboarder.Commie

PostPosted: Oct 24, 2005 8:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Blake, Well said.

K-wood Kid, what kind of car are you guys taking? Can it handle the mtns? Snow, ice? 6 people?

K-wood Kid
Wakeboarder.Commie
Wakeboarder.Commie

PostPosted: Oct 25, 2005 12:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hopefully I'll have my Z71 by then and we will take that. Its 4 wheel drive. Also We will probably take two cars so if one gets whacked we aren't stuck. Blake I'll be driving as much as possible to ensure safety because actually I'm a very safe driver. I drove to school in 9th grade and am now getting my liscense on December 20th so its all good. (dont take that as cocky either)

www.ridecwb.com
Damon
Wakeboarder.Commie
Wakeboarder.Commie

PostPosted: Oct 25, 2005 4:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Funny thing about 4WD.. It gives you a false sense of confidence. I always see AWD/4WD cars sliding off the road, and 2wd cars doing just fine. The reason being the AWD/4WD drivers will push the limits because they think their drivetrain will pull them out of it.
K-wood Kid
Wakeboarder.Commie
Wakeboarder.Commie

PostPosted: Oct 25, 2005 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laugh Damon, it will be like my first week with my first owned car I'm not taking any risks with my baby.

www.ridecwb.com
Blake
Wakeboarder.com Freak
Wakeboarder.com Freak

PostPosted: Oct 25, 2005 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

K-wood Kid wrote:
Hopefully I'll have my Z71 by then and we will take that. Its 4 wheel drive.

Z71 usally means 4X4 you baffoon. Laughing

K-wood Kid wrote:
I drove to school in 9th grade and am now getting my liscense on December 20th so its all good. (dont take that as cocky either)

Wrecks happen in the blink of an eye. Again. BE SAFE.

Laugh Damon, agreed. On top of that, adding a rear locking differential or rear limited slip differential to ice, makes the rear end slide like crazy, and with the front of the truck enguaged into 4wd, it actually will pull you off the road.

Bethany
Wakeboarder.Commie
Wakeboarder.Commie

City: Bend

PostPosted: Oct 25, 2005 7:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only accident I have had while in the snow was in a 4x4. It was clearly not my fault but know that the DO NOT prevent you from sliding...
K-wood Kid
Wakeboarder.Commie
Wakeboarder.Commie

PostPosted: Oct 27, 2005 1:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well hopefully I wont have too many problems wth driving. The hotel we are crashing at is on the mountain so I hope I can just drive there park and drive home.

www.ridecwb.com
Blake
Wakeboarder.com Freak
Wakeboarder.com Freak

PostPosted: Oct 27, 2005 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

K-wood Kid, if not, they should (hotel) offer a shuttle bus to and from the different mountains.
K-wood Kid
Wakeboarder.Commie
Wakeboarder.Commie

PostPosted: Oct 27, 2005 9:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Man I'm definately looking forward to this trip. My cousin from Albequrque(butchered) told me to buy a bunch of food and stuff from walmart or randalls because the on site stuff is very very expensive. Any other helpful hints?

www.ridecwb.com
Damon
Wakeboarder.Commie
Wakeboarder.Commie

PostPosted: Oct 27, 2005 10:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is your room going to have a fridge though?

Your cousin is right though, markup on food around a ski resort is rediculous.

Try and get some dry food, stuff that won't go bad. Or take a cooler? Of course you will be surrounded by snow, so you could just take a cooler, fill it up with snow every once in a while, and there ya go, you've got a fridge! Genius!

K-wood Kid
Wakeboarder.Commie
Wakeboarder.Commie

PostPosted: Oct 27, 2005 10:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well its a regular two bed hotel room so I bet it has some ghetto mini fridge I can clean out to put my stuff in and then just put their stuff back when I leave.

www.ridecwb.com
Damon
Wakeboarder.Commie
Wakeboarder.Commie

PostPosted: Oct 27, 2005 10:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You guys stayin in a higher end hotel? I thought you guys were going like motel 6 style or something... thats what I woulda done. That is if I decided not to just sleep in the back of the car.
K-wood Kid
Wakeboarder.Commie
Wakeboarder.Commie

PostPosted: Oct 29, 2005 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We are staying on location. I just went to www.angelfireresort.com

www.ridecwb.com
Damon
Wakeboarder.Commie
Wakeboarder.Commie

PostPosted: Oct 29, 2005 11:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can you guys afford the condos?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wakeboarder Forum Index -> Snowboarding All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Add To Favorites

Jump to: