Wakeboarder Forum Index

 
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   StatisticsStats   FavoritesFavorites   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages  Log inLog in 
BlogsBlogs   

subjekt or substance
Goto page 1, 2  Next
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wakeboarder Forum Index -> General Wakeboarding Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
classik5onit
Criminal
Criminal


Joined: 07 Jun 2005
Posts: 87
City: Arnold

PostPosted: Oct 07, 2005 3:53 pm    Post subject: subjekt or substance Reply with quote

im lookin to buy one of these boards. the thing is people say the subjekt is really loose. ive ridin a hyperlite 3DS and it has the same fin configuration and i dint have a prob with it . rode a fusion this week and liked it. it seems similar to the substance. dint get to try my friends fish after i strained a ligament in my ankle. if anyone has ridin one or these two boards put in your 2 cents
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
shagman
Criminal
Criminal


Joined: 11 Sep 2003
Posts: 92

PostPosted: Oct 07, 2005 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Search it man, tons of threads on this.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Sinkoumn
Wakeboarder.Commie
Wakeboarder.Commie


Joined: 26 Jun 2003
Posts: 1706
City: Side Lake, MN - Long Beach, CA

PostPosted: Oct 07, 2005 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've ridden both, and wasn't at all impressed with the substance. The substance just seemed way too slow, and felt like you had to really dig for a decent cut because of the drag of the board in the water. The pop of the Subjekt throws you more for a vertical, and the substance just throws you farther into the flats. So it's basically you need to figure out what you're looking for in a board.

Arrow I'd say ride them both, just to get the idea for the feel.

_________________
Neuston Boards
Nautiques
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
thane_dogg
Outlaw
Outlaw


Joined: 24 Jan 2003
Posts: 187
City: Corona

PostPosted: Oct 07, 2005 11:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm gonna have to disagree with Sinkoumn. With my experience, I love the substance. I liked the subjekt also but I couldn't get used to the abrupt switch from locked in, to not locked when the fins would break loose. With the substance, there's a broader range between locked and sliding. If you liked the fusion, you will love the substance. The substance is just an easier to ride fusion.
_________________
I've found out that there's a fine line between being brilliant, and plum loco. -DJ Quik

Don't be a gymnastic, put your own steez in it. -Mikey Ennen
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address MSN Messenger
classik5onit
Criminal
Criminal


Joined: 07 Jun 2005
Posts: 87
City: Arnold

PostPosted: Oct 08, 2005 6:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

only thing im worried about the subjekt is it being too loose and me not liking it. ive ridin the hyperlite 3DS and that has the same fin configuration and i liked it
_________________
CLASSIK WAKESKATES
www.classikwake.com
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Enzoborder230
Wakeboarder.Commie
Wakeboarder.Commie


Joined: 01 Jun 2004
Posts: 1316
City: lake anna,va

PostPosted: Oct 08, 2005 6:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

get the fish, it will be well worth it
the fish is incredible

_________________
06' watson 138
06' watson bindings
04 centurion enzo
Used to be ar230border
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Blog AIM Address
shaggyboarder
Wakeboarder.Commie
Wakeboarder.Commie


Joined: 09 Nov 2004
Posts: 1631
City: ft. laud.... hook me up with a pull

PostPosted: Oct 08, 2005 7:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was riding the substance and I just recently got a subjekt id say if your worried about a board being to loose dont get the subjekt... with the substance if you want a looser feel take the middle fin out and, if its to loose keep the fin in.
_________________
Random Acts Of Dumbness Will Always Be Rewarded.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Blindside_137
Wakeboarder.com Freak
Wakeboarder.com Freak


Joined: 05 Jun 2004
Posts: 3059
City: Raleigh

PostPosted: Oct 08, 2005 9:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Enzoborder230, but i've heard the fish is a love it or hate board and due to its different features it can be hard to get used to. but it would be fun to carve the **** out of the board though Very Happy Twisted Evil
_________________
Wake Forest University
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address
classik5onit
Criminal
Criminal


Joined: 07 Jun 2005
Posts: 87
City: Arnold

PostPosted: Oct 08, 2005 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cept im 6' 3" so i duno bout the fish... might be too small. although i wakeskate too and i ride that finless so i prob like a loose feeling board. ive just never rode a loose wakeboard so i duno
_________________
CLASSIK WAKESKATES
www.classikwake.com
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Ocean Rider
Wakeboarder.Commie
Wakeboarder.Commie


Joined: 24 Jun 2003
Posts: 1597

PostPosted: Oct 08, 2005 7:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm 6'3'' and have no problem with a 129 fish...

both of those boards have lots of pop, but have totally different styles... the subjekt is very aggressive, fast edge into the wake... the substance is mellow, lots of straight up pop, slow/tail heavy/bent knee riding...

I personally like both, they both have pros and cons but I would have to say i liked the substance the most...


Last edited by Ocean Rider on Oct 16, 2005 5:12 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Blog
seedickride
Criminal
Criminal


Joined: 12 Jan 2003
Posts: 97
City: Munich, ND

PostPosted: Oct 09, 2005 12:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Personal preference is so different from one person to another, along with the way a board is described. I rode the Subjekt for the first half of the summer, as I like the more aggressive/faster cut vs. the Substance. The last half of the summer, I rode the Fish, which I like even better because of the kick off the wake and easy spinning. I really haven't felt that the Subjekt is very loose. When you get it on edge, it cuts hard. The Substance without the center fin, though, for me, seems pretty loose in comparison to both the Subjekt and the Fish. The Fish actually seems slightly easier to break free on the water than the Subjekt does. The only downside of the Fish in my opinion is it can be a bit difficult to handle in choppy water conditions.
_________________
Mike Dick
See Dick Ride Wakeboards
www.seedickride.com
(701)682-5515
mike@seedickride.com
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
classik5onit
Criminal
Criminal


Joined: 07 Jun 2005
Posts: 87
City: Arnold

PostPosted: Oct 09, 2005 1:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i would get a fish but... ive only been riding for a year now and just started to throw inverts. the fish short length might be a little too advanced for me and could gimme a hard time on some landings.
_________________
CLASSIK WAKESKATES
www.classikwake.com
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
seedickride
Criminal
Criminal


Joined: 12 Jan 2003
Posts: 97
City: Munich, ND

PostPosted: Oct 09, 2005 3:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you're starting to throw inverts, the Fish isn't beyond your riding capabilities. Keep in mind that the Fish is intended to be ridden 10 cm shorter than what you'd normally ride due to the extra width of the board. I'm 6'2", and first rode the 129, and really noticed how short it was, and felt like I was having a little trouble with my landings, but when I switched over to the 133, I didn't have that feeling anymore. There's also the 137 available for '06 now, too. I'm 195lbs. on the 133, and feel it's the right size for me, if that helps you any.
_________________
Mike Dick
See Dick Ride Wakeboards
www.seedickride.com
(701)682-5515
mike@seedickride.com
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
DavidHoff
Wakeboarder.Commie
Wakeboarder.Commie


Joined: 03 May 2004
Posts: 1855
City: Dallas

PostPosted: Oct 09, 2005 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If your just learning, you'll have a much easier time on Substance or Subjekt. Alot of people I know ride the Fish and like it, but they say it's one of those boards that amazing If you are throwing tricks consistent, but not a great board to learn new stuff on.
_________________
www.Tigeowners.com
www.dallaswakeboarding.com
www.tbks.us
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Blog Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Thomas P.
Addict
Addict


Joined: 16 Feb 2003
Posts: 717

PostPosted: Oct 09, 2005 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the speed of boards on the water is relative and preference. if you think the substance is slow, try riding the fusion or the cwb transcend. that will give you a new meaning of slow. if youre used to the subjekt or trip, yes, then the substance might be a little slower. once again it all comes down to personal preference. i dont think the change from a 3ds will be that drastic in either direction. just make sure you like these new rides first.
_________________
Mark Kenney, 1983-2002

www.hyperlite.com

www.byerlywakeboards.com
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
Ocean Rider
Wakeboarder.Commie
Wakeboarder.Commie


Joined: 24 Jun 2003
Posts: 1597

PostPosted: Oct 09, 2005 4:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The fish is a fun board to mess with but I dont belive its the best choice to use as a full time riding board
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Blog
seedickride
Criminal
Criminal


Joined: 12 Jan 2003
Posts: 97
City: Munich, ND

PostPosted: Oct 10, 2005 3:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ocean Rider- I have to disagree with you. Why do you say that? Yes, it has a different feel to it from a "standard" board design, but it doesn't do anything funky that is detrimental to someone's riding experience on a daily basis once you get used to it after a couple rides. Are you saying that based on your personal experience with the board? I'm curious to hear why...
_________________
Mike Dick
See Dick Ride Wakeboards
www.seedickride.com
(701)682-5515
mike@seedickride.com
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
classik5onit
Criminal
Criminal


Joined: 07 Jun 2005
Posts: 87
City: Arnold

PostPosted: Oct 10, 2005 5:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeha i like a fast board and a loose feel. sounds like the subjekt will be good. ive rode the fusion and was killin it on that but i want a faster board.
_________________
CLASSIK WAKESKATES
www.classikwake.com
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
seedickride
Criminal
Criminal


Joined: 12 Jan 2003
Posts: 97
City: Munich, ND

PostPosted: Oct 10, 2005 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

From what you describe, I think you'd really like the Subjekt. I've got my 04 Subjekt 141 that's in really good condition available, if you're interested (I sold my Fish 133 already).
_________________
Mike Dick
See Dick Ride Wakeboards
www.seedickride.com
(701)682-5515
mike@seedickride.com
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
shaggyboarder
Wakeboarder.Commie
Wakeboarder.Commie


Joined: 09 Nov 2004
Posts: 1631
City: ft. laud.... hook me up with a pull

PostPosted: Oct 10, 2005 5:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ive been getting used to the subjekt lately and i have to say the landings are much softer than the substance imo
_________________
Random Acts Of Dumbness Will Always Be Rewarded.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Ocean Rider
Wakeboarder.Commie
Wakeboarder.Commie


Joined: 24 Jun 2003
Posts: 1597

PostPosted: Oct 10, 2005 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

seedickride, ok let me re-phase my statement... for me, the fish isn't good to use as my regular riding board...

my style is different and I need different features from a board than what the fish offers... maybe the fish fits everything someone else wants... I know 3 people who ride the fish as there main board and they love it...

dont get me wrong... the fish is fun, but I would rather be riding a team or substance as a main board than the fish
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Blog
classik5onit
Criminal
Criminal


Joined: 07 Jun 2005
Posts: 87
City: Arnold

PostPosted: Oct 10, 2005 6:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

seedickride, so why did you sell your fish?. i can get a subjekt 133 for $250 brand new. i would ride a 137. but if i were to get that i dont see why i wouldnt get a fish 133. would the 4 cm really be that big ofa difference?

i ride a hyperlite state 140. it cracked so i got a brand new one im trying to sell. i like the board but it seems to have too wide ofa skill level range and im looking for a more strictly advanced board. its also doesnt have the speed im looking for ina board
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
seedickride
Criminal
Criminal


Joined: 12 Jan 2003
Posts: 97
City: Munich, ND

PostPosted: Oct 10, 2005 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

classik5onit- I sold my Fish since my season is over up here in North Dakota (had a foot of snow last week!), and I'll just be getting new equipment for next year. That's one benefit of having your own wakeboard shop. The thing you have to keep in mind is the width of the board, and not just the length. The Fish 133 is 18.2 inches wide, while the Subjekt 133 is 16.6 inches wide. The Fish has quite a bit more surface area to support your weight than the Subjekt with the same length. I'm sure you could ride the Subjekt 133, but I'd have to guess that you'd notice the landings would feel pretty hard, and it might not pop as well as you'd like, all due to a lack of surface area keeping you up on top of the water.

Ocean Rider- OK, now I understand. That's why, if at all possible, everyone needs to demo before they buy if they can. Different strokes for different folks, as they say.

_________________
Mike Dick
See Dick Ride Wakeboards
www.seedickride.com
(701)682-5515
mike@seedickride.com
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
classik5onit
Criminal
Criminal


Joined: 07 Jun 2005
Posts: 87
City: Arnold

PostPosted: Oct 11, 2005 6:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

seedickride, ive narrowed it down to the fish 133 or subjekt 137. gotta sleep on it. both aggressive boards with alot of straight up pop cept ones 4 cm shorter but wider. you think the 4cm will make that big ofa difference?
_________________
CLASSIK WAKESKATES
www.classikwake.com
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
seedickride
Criminal
Criminal


Joined: 12 Jan 2003
Posts: 97
City: Munich, ND

PostPosted: Oct 11, 2005 6:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Fish will definitely have the most explosive straight up pop between the two. In fact, it might take a couple rides to get used to it. The first time I rode it, my heelside backroll turned into a 1 1/2 heelside backroll, which I've never done before. Shocked I rode the Subjekt 141, so it was definitely noticeable when I was spinning how much easier it was on the Fish. I stomped my toeside 540 on my first try on the Fish, while I really struggled to land that trick on the Subjekt. You'd probably notice the difference in length more if you went with the Fish 129 instead of the 133. If you think that the Subjekt 137 is the right size for you, you really could go with the Fish 129. I guess it depends a bit on what your riding goals are for the board that you end up buying. If you want a board that's really aggressive on edge, then I'd say the Subjekt is the better choice. If you want massive vertical kick off the wake, then the Fish would be the best (but the Subjekt has excellent kick, too). If you ride in choppy water a lot, then I'd say to go with the Subjekt. Hopefully this helps...
_________________
Mike Dick
See Dick Ride Wakeboards
www.seedickride.com
(701)682-5515
mike@seedickride.com
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Ocean Rider
Wakeboarder.Commie
Wakeboarder.Commie


Joined: 24 Jun 2003
Posts: 1597

PostPosted: Oct 11, 2005 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

classik5onit, the 133 is way to big for you... if your looking into the subjekt 137 then you should also be looking into the 129 fish

10 cm shorter than a regular board
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Blog
classik5onit
Criminal
Criminal


Joined: 07 Jun 2005
Posts: 87
City: Arnold

PostPosted: Oct 12, 2005 10:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ocean Rider, i dont see how that is possible? im guessing your saying that becuase of the width of the fish.
_________________
CLASSIK WAKESKATES
www.classikwake.com
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Ocean Rider
Wakeboarder.Commie
Wakeboarder.Commie


Joined: 24 Jun 2003
Posts: 1597

PostPosted: Oct 12, 2005 11:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

classik5onit, what dont you see possible.... the fish should be sized 10 cm. SHORTER than a normal riding board

I ride a 138 substance, hense I would ride a 129 fish...

the 133 is made for really big dudes... ive riden it and the 129 is much better
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Blog
AbsoluteRida
Outlaw
Outlaw


Joined: 24 May 2004
Posts: 156
City: Atl

PostPosted: Oct 12, 2005 2:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How does the absolute without a center fin compare to the subjekt and Substance????Speed/pop I hear great things about these boards but i also want to look into the new watson and (shane)bonifay boards
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
classik5onit
Criminal
Criminal


Joined: 07 Jun 2005
Posts: 87
City: Arnold

PostPosted: Oct 12, 2005 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ocean Rider, yeah i get it now i was confused fora sec then my buddy explained it to me.
_________________
CLASSIK WAKESKATES
www.classikwake.com
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
classik5onit
Criminal
Criminal


Joined: 07 Jun 2005
Posts: 87
City: Arnold

PostPosted: Oct 13, 2005 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

now i just need to sell one of my other boards so i can buy it. im selling a brand new never used still in the wrapping 05 hyperlite state for $300 O.B.O. and a hardly used 04 hyperlite motive 140 for $100.
_________________
CLASSIK WAKESKATES
www.classikwake.com
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
WakeCEO
Newbie
Newbie


Joined: 05 Oct 2005
Posts: 18

PostPosted: Oct 14, 2005 12:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Man go with the Substance 138. I think it'd be perfect for your size and the way you describe what you like.

With a center fin the Substance tracks well. I dont agree with the people that say the Substance is slow. It rides quicker than many of the other similar 3-stage boards I've been on.

I have heard bad things from other people on the Subjekt but I have never ridden it so I cannot really comment on that. I'd go with the Subtance before the Fish . Like someone stated above...many either love or hate the Fish because of how different it rides and it is a little bit harder to get used to in rough water conditions IMO.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
classik5onit
Criminal
Criminal


Joined: 07 Jun 2005
Posts: 87
City: Arnold

PostPosted: Oct 14, 2005 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WakeCEO, well i currently ride a hyperlite state which is sorta similar to the substance( 3 stage and center fin) and i have also ridin a hyperlite 3DS which is similar to the subjekt ( 4 channel fins no center fin) and i noticed a big difference in speed between the two. i liked the speed of the 3DS which in turn gave me a better pop.
_________________
CLASSIK WAKESKATES
www.classikwake.com
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
WakeCEO
Newbie
Newbie


Joined: 05 Oct 2005
Posts: 18

PostPosted: Oct 15, 2005 12:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The State is actually a hybrif. It is continuous and 3-stage. Different heel to toe edge. It will feel a little faster and have less pop on the continuous side.

The 3DS is the fastest Hype board (but still relatively slow). I actually really like the 3DS. I honestly think the Substance is just as fast as the 3DS but could just be me.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
wtbamoomba
Addict
Addict


Joined: 10 Sep 2003
Posts: 808
City: raleigh

PostPosted: Oct 15, 2005 3:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

im going to disagree with the statement that the substance is just as fast as the subjekt... i have ridden both, and i chose the subjekt because it was just so unbelievably fast, while the substance seemed like it was just crawling through the water even without the center fin... i think you should go with the subjekt... incredible pop and loads of speed on edge.. its really the best board i have ever ridden
_________________
finally got my boat!!!
http://www.oakwakeskates.com/

big ups to my sponsor Monster Energy Drinks!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wakeboarder Forum Index -> General Wakeboarding Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Add To Favorites

Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You can download files in this forum
             


Copyright © 2012 - Wakeboarding - Wakeboarder.com - All Right Reserved
Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group