Wakeboarder Forum Index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   StatisticsStats   FavoritesFavorites   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages  Log inLog in 
BlogsBlogs   

Speakers and amp... Right choice?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
QNev
Wakeboarder.com Freak
Wakeboarder.com Freak

City: Kamloops, BC

PostPosted: Oct 08, 2005 2:37 pm    Post subject: Speakers and amp... Right choice? Reply with quote

Okay. We have an idea on what speakers we're getting for the tower. We also have an amp picked out.

Neither of them are marine.. Just car stuff.
LINKS:
Amp-> http://www.futureshop.ca/catalog/proddetail.asp?sku_id=0665000FS10059649&catid=11031&logon=&langid=EN#
Speakers-> http://www.futureshop.ca/catalog/proddetail.asp?logon=&langid=EN&sku_id=0665000FS10059947&catid=11043

So what does anyone think of these? Any other recommendations on amps or speakers.

Thanks so much for your help Razz We're almost ready to start on these Very Happy

Last edited by QNev on Oct 08, 2005 3:25 pm; edited 1 time in total
Vampyre
Addict
Addict

City: Ooltewah, TN

PostPosted: Oct 08, 2005 3:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, the page for the amp does not list the RMS power output.
I would check the manufacturer's web site for accurate specs
I have always been leary of amps that only advertise their MAX power. This is really meaningless, because this is distorted sound.
Always look at RMS values. Something like 40-60 RMS watts would be decent.

QNev
Wakeboarder.com Freak
Wakeboarder.com Freak

PostPosted: Oct 08, 2005 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, on their website they I'm they listed them at 60w x 2 @ 4 OHMS and 120wx 2 @ 2 OHMS. Vampyre, Is that what you mean? I'm pretty new to this whole sound thing Razz
Vampyre
Addict
Addict

City: Ooltewah, TN

PostPosted: Oct 08, 2005 8:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, that is correct. Looks like a nice setup for the money. Are you putting the speakers in cans, or in the boat?
QNev
Wakeboarder.com Freak
Wakeboarder.com Freak

PostPosted: Oct 08, 2005 8:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cans, for sure Razz But would 60 watts be strong enough to power these and will they be loud enough to hear while riding?
secretarial

PostPosted: Oct 14, 2005 11:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

soma - http://www.bestrxpills.com
onomado

PostPosted: Oct 18, 2005 8:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

QNev wrote:
Cans, for sure Razz But would 60 watts be strong enough to power these and will they be loud enough to hear while riding?

Hey I just ran across this, but I would stay away from Bazooka "anything". The pioneer speakers are okay, but you are going to need a kick ass amp to push them all the way out to you at the back of the boat. 60 watts will not give you much volume at 60 feet, and my recommendation for amps would be MTX, Fosgate, or Hi-fonics....all three of those have big power for the money, and they will give you REAL numbers of what their amps make.
QNev
Wakeboarder.com Freak
Wakeboarder.com Freak

PostPosted: Oct 18, 2005 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

onomado, thanks Smile. I may be able to get my hands on a Hi-Fonix, but the two I can really find are Bazooka, and Infinity. There are a few Rockfords, but they're all over $500 at the local FutureShop

I was also looking at an Infinity One which can run them at 92w for about $50 more Very Happy

onomado

PostPosted: Oct 20, 2005 9:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Infinity is ok, I would really try hard to stay away from bazooka...I am VERY familiar with their circuitry inside, and they suck balls...sorry. I would spend the $500 and get a real amp personally, keeping in mind that you are not going to be very happy with a "bargain" when it comes to stereo equipment. I know several of the guys at fosgate here in Phoenix, and they build some bad ass stuff. If you cant swing that kind of coin, get the hi-fonics...they are also good guys and build a helluva strong amp for not a decent price. Best of luck.
QNev
Wakeboarder.com Freak
Wakeboarder.com Freak

PostPosted: Oct 22, 2005 12:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alright, so here it is.... We got the store to order some Kicker speakers because they were out of stock, and when they come in, we're also picking up a 2x70 watt Alpine amp. Very Happy We just need to find a place to supply materials for the enclosure Very Happy

We got a hell of a deal too! The speakers are $230 and the amp is $200, but we got a deal worked out to about $330 for everything!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wakeboarder Forum Index -> DIY Projects All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Add To Favorites

Jump to: