Wakeboarder Forum Index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   StatisticsStats   FavoritesFavorites   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages  Log inLog in 
BlogsBlogs   

Need board brand opinions

View previous topic :: View next topic  
CHiLi DaWg
Wakeboarder.Commie
Wakeboarder.Commie

City: Huntington, IN

PostPosted: Oct 07, 2005 5:58 pm    Post subject: Need board brand opinions Reply with quote

I don't know if I will spend it this year, but I may look into another board. Last spring I almost bought a Burton Dominant that was on clearance. Not real sure what I should be looking for in a board. This will sound funny to some of you, but I'm 2.5-3 hrs away from the nearest ski place, so when we get snow here, we hit the local hill. We have a short rail slide and a launch ramp that we haul out with us. I do get to go to Bittersweet resort a couple times a year. I prefer to ride in the terrain park, although I'm not real good. My Oxygen board rides nice, but I think it's a little stiff on the flex. It's hard to nose press ( and keep control ) and so on.

Anyways, there must be a hundred different companies out there. I hear a lot about Forum, Burton, Ride, and Lib Tech and others. What should I be looking for, and what company? What's the advantages and dis-advantages of a freestyle board vs a free ride board?

JohnD
Outlaw
Outlaw

City: San Diego

PostPosted: Oct 07, 2005 6:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Need board brand opinions Reply with quote

CHiLi DaWg wrote:
What's the advantages and dis-advantages of a freestyle board vs a free ride board?

In a nutshell... a freestyle board is going to be lighter and have more flex, a freeriding board is going to be stiffer. A flexible board is like riding a wet noodle when you are going high speeds.

From your description it sounds like you need a freestyle board.

~J.
CHiLi DaWg
Wakeboarder.Commie
Wakeboarder.Commie

PostPosted: Oct 11, 2005 5:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyone else want to weigh in?

I've been looking at freestyle boards on the web, and there's a ton of them out there.

I know some about Burton b/c I kind of got on their band wagon in 87 when I got my 1st taste of boarding. Gnu, k2, Kemper and some others were around back then also.

Anyways, Iv'e been out for nearly 15 years and could use some advice from people who ride the product, vs the people in the store trying to sell me one.

There is a Saloman/ Rossignal dealer and dealers for Burton, Ride, and maybe Forum. These are the ones I know of.

luonthesnake
Criminal
Criminal

PostPosted: Oct 11, 2005 5:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

is there a particular price range your looking at? had an Oxygen board once but I had the same prob, was too stiff. got me a mid-range Atomic board and made manuals or pesses a lot easier. a board with more flex makes it easier to get a butter effect if your into doing spins off of jumps. boards out there with a 2-3 degree bevel makes it nicer on the rails, don't have worry so much about catching an edge. you could knock out what boards don't have good flex and a bevel edge out first, then look more into what ya found and check out constuction, base(sintered),twin tip, effective edge, etc.
CHiLi DaWg
Wakeboarder.Commie
Wakeboarder.Commie

PostPosted: Oct 11, 2005 6:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

luonthesnake, about 350$ at the most. You seem to know a bit about it. I should look for 2-3 degree edge bevel. Soft flex? I know I have trouble feeling the pop off the tail of my Oxygen, and I feel more like I'm leaping to get a big ollie. I was wondering if more flex would help me a little there.

What are some other construction things to look for?

Liquidmx
Addict
Addict

City: San Jose

PostPosted: Oct 11, 2005 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love my Dominant, but alas I am mostly a park rat. Good luck.
CHiLi DaWg
Wakeboarder.Commie
Wakeboarder.Commie

PostPosted: Oct 12, 2005 8:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was looking into the Dominant. It seems to run about $380. I could go for that. Is it pretty flexy? What size do you run and what is your weight?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wakeboarder Forum Index -> Snowboarding All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Add To Favorites

Jump to: