Wakeboarder Forum Index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   StatisticsStats   FavoritesFavorites   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages  Log inLog in 
BlogsBlogs   

Car speakers in enclosure?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
QNev
Wakeboarder.com Freak
Wakeboarder.com Freak

City: Kamloops, BC

PostPosted: Sep 10, 2005 3:51 pm    Post subject: Car speakers in enclosure? Reply with quote

Hey, can I just use car speakers for the tower speakers or do I have to throw Marine speakers in there? Laughing It's a stupid question but I don't want the water to ruin the speakers. I was looking at some Pioneer TS-164P's and some TS-G650M's.[/b]

http://www.futureshop.ca/multimedia/products/large/10040460.jpg

http://www.futureshop.ca/multimedia/products/large/10040459.jpg

kmagnuss
Wakeboarder.Commie
Wakeboarder.Commie

City: Sarasota, FL

PostPosted: Sep 12, 2005 6:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

car speakers will work fine. They may not last as long...just make sure you don't get foam surrounds as they will usually only last a season or two.
guedo8

City: Austin

PostPosted: Sep 13, 2005 10:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought my speakers at Best Buy and for an additional 20 bucks you can get a 4 year warranty through Best Buy. If the speakers become defective for any reason they will replace them. I told the guy what I was doing with them and he said it wouldn't matter.
onomado

PostPosted: Sep 13, 2005 10:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would personally probably go for a kicker or an MTX speaker if I had it to do over again..I have a prety high end pair of Rockford Fosgate's now, and I am not all that happy with them. Teh Kicker's are a little more durable and louder in my opinion. The Best Buy thing is the way to go as far as wrranty goes though...get the warranty and replace them every 4 years...lol. Your car speakers will last a long time as long as you are covering them when not in use and not exposing them to salt water air.
onomado
QNev
Wakeboarder.com Freak
Wakeboarder.com Freak

PostPosted: Sep 13, 2005 9:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, the closest thing we have to best-buy here is future shop and radio shack. Nothing too fancy...
onomado

PostPosted: Sep 14, 2005 8:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

www.bestbuy.com ...it is usually 2 day shipping, and I am telling you that the warranty is worth ANY INCONVENIENCE!!! i cannot suggest it strongly enough...good luck bro!
QNev
Wakeboarder.com Freak
Wakeboarder.com Freak

PostPosted: Sep 14, 2005 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any recommendations? We have an amp in mind-a 200x2 watt amp just for the tower speakers, but any recommendations on what speaker? I was looking at those sony's but yeah... Laughing Help?
onomado

PostPosted: Sep 15, 2005 9:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well to be honest, I got the fosgate 6.5" punch series, and I am not all that happy with them...I think that the biggest reason is that I have them underpowered for what we need to use the speakers for. They say that they run at 70 watts RMS, and 120 peak, but I think i am only putting about 40-50 to them RMS with the Alpine amp pushing them. I tried bridging it, and it helped a little with sound quality, so that tells me that the amp is underpowered and the speakers are not that efficient. The speakers are probably a good choice, but if I had it to do over again I would probably get some kickers, but from best buy i would get the sony's or the alpines the second time around, even though my fosgates are not all that bad... I am pretty picky about sound quality, and they just dont live up to my standards...
Jensen
Wakeboarder.com Freak
Wakeboarder.com Freak

City: Chico

PostPosted: Sep 17, 2005 4:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

alpine over sony for 6.5 speakers hands down
Sinkoumn
Wakeboarder.Commie
Wakeboarder.Commie

City: Side Lake, MN - Long Beach, CA

PostPosted: Sep 18, 2005 10:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use 6.5 Infinity's and they sound awesome, plus I got them off of eBay for 35$ a pair. Been going strong now for two and a half years. (also got an infinity 12" sub for $10, also still going strong) Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wakeboarder Forum Index -> DIY Projects All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Add To Favorites

Jump to: