Wakeboarder Forum Index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   StatisticsStats   FavoritesFavorites   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages  Log inLog in 
BlogsBlogs   

Switch?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Fauker
Soul Rider
Soul Rider

City: Charlotte

PostPosted: Apr 21, 2003 8:57 am    Post subject: Switch? Reply with quote

Ive just begun to ride switch some... What all can some of you more experienced folks do switch?
Jim M
Wakeboarder.com Freak
Wakeboarder.com Freak

PostPosted: Apr 21, 2003 9:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I look pretty much like a girl throwing a baseball with the opposite hand.
Jim M
Wakeboarder.com Freak
Wakeboarder.com Freak

PostPosted: Apr 21, 2003 9:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

..thats falls down a lot when she is running, yeah thats more accurate

But seriously who can charge it switch hs and ts and duplicate some inverts? Thats one of the coolest things to see in sets. Any mobes??? Anyone that can throw a whirly then charge it again with a switch whirly gets a hi-five from me.
Want2ride
Outlaw
Outlaw

City: Layton, Utah

PostPosted: Apr 21, 2003 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tried a switch tantrum and switch 180s but I know that is not much at all. But I have only been out twice this year.
x2xwakegurlx2x

PostPosted: Apr 21, 2003 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the only things i can do switch is edge a little, and when i do ollie 180's, and land switch i can ollie 180 it back, but nothing big, i need to practice switch more often
Nathan Newman
Addict
Addict

City: Baylor

PostPosted: Apr 21, 2003 8:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm learning all my tricks switch, working on the switch backroll
i can do switch wake jumps way out in the flats hs and ts, big half cab 180's, and grabs and whatnot. I just want to be able to do everything Reg or Goofy, Heelside or Toeside...
and make legitimate grabs on EVERYTHING
Cool Cool Cool Cool Cool Cool Cool Cool Cool Cool Cool Cool Cool Cool Cool Cool Cool Cool Cool Cool

An eye for an eye will make the world blind.
-Gandhi

It is better to die standing than to live on your knees.
-Che Guevera
Mister C
Wakeboarder.com Freak
Wakeboarder.com Freak

City: Burbank, SO-CAL

PostPosted: Apr 21, 2003 9:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just started working on riding switch this year when I realized that was the reason why I was eating water on all my 180s and 540s. I look like a guy on his first time up when I ride switch. Kind of like an old grandma with my back hunched over.
toothpick
Wakeboarder.Commie
Wakeboarder.Commie

City: Clermont

PostPosted: Apr 22, 2003 8:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I almost cheat with my switch stuff. As in, I spin regular frontside easier than backside, so I found that it's pretty easy to spin switch backside, so like switch hs bs 180s and 3s aren't too bad. If you can do a normal hs bs 180, then a switch ts fs 3 shouldn't be too hard once you learn to do a ts half cab.

Like I always say, if you start small with learning new moves/stances, you will learn much easier and quicker. A lot of people will try to go big switch right away and just crash, get frustrated and go back to regular. If you just dink around on the wake switch for a run or two, then do little one-wake grabs and just practice on your pop and body position, you can easily learn to jump switch wake to wake in one day. Then once you do that, no one can stop you!!! Mr. Green
J_DOGG
PityDaFool Who Posts This Much

City: New Hampshire

PostPosted: Apr 22, 2003 8:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Practice, Practice, Practice. I have spent entire sets riding around switch, not the best or most fun thing to watch but it helps me and that's all that matters.

Un-like Nathan I can't hit all my tricks switch yet but do have people that I don't ride with all the time ask me what way is my normal stance. Having the ability to ride as smooth switch as you can regular will set you apart from the average Joe. Not that the average Joe isn't having fun and ripping it up it's just they are not as well rounded as you would be. note: well rounded does not mean better.

It's more important than people want to realize, specifically when landing big spins switch like mentioned above. Nothing worse than going for the 540 and not being able to ride away from it cuz you have no ability to ride switch, nice handle pass though... LOL...

PEACE

Aubs wrote:
J Dogg - I thought of you last night.

"Everyone wants a bite, it don't happen over night"!
Nathan Newman
Addict
Addict

PostPosted: Apr 22, 2003 10:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I've got a friend who is good, but he just won't go back to the basics. This guy, he learned a mexican backroll before a w2w! Yeah, needless to say, he can barely even get up switch, though he can throw raleys and Krypts, (which he of course can not land since they are switch). He needs to learn 180s but won't go back to the basics, and he wonders why he can't land his roll to revert or his krypts...

basically, what I'm saying is to learn progressively and don't allow yourself to get so caught up with stomping something new that you don't know the basics and are inconsistent on your stuff

-Gandhi

-Che Guevera
bizzuck
Addict
Addict

PostPosted: Apr 22, 2003 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

J-Dogg, well rounded doesnt mean better.... so if i can do everything in the world, and you can do it and the do it switch we are equal? hmmm.... sounds like some left wing thinking.

www.atlwake.com
toothpick
Wakeboarder.Commie
Wakeboarder.Commie

PostPosted: Apr 22, 2003 7:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Haha, so are there wakeboarding repubs and demos? Reactionaries and Radicals?

But I do agree with you on the well roundedness not equalling a better rider bizzuck. Perfect example: Shaun Murray. I think I've seen him do a total of 5 switch moves in videos (one of which is a Hasselhoff in Six Pack). I read in an interview that he figures that he doesn't need to waste time learning the same move again switch, just work on newer and better moves regular. That approach works for him.

Personally, I have a strong urge to equal up my switch riding with my regular riding. It's another one of those personal opinion things. I think Parks Bonifay and Randy Harris can do just about all of their moves regular and switch. Does that make them better than Murray or Harf? I don't think so, it just keeps variety alive and well in this great sport, which is how it should be.
pooser
Wakeboarder.com Freak
Wakeboarder.com Freak

PostPosted: Apr 22, 2003 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

practicing riding switch on your skate board and or snow board a lot it helps.
Nathan Newman
Addict
Addict

PostPosted: Apr 22, 2003 8:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah, and visualization helps too, but really it's practice, practice, practice

-Gandhi

-Che Guevera
MinnDizzyG
Addict
Addict

City: I can see Mystic Lake

PostPosted: Apr 23, 2003 6:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can't say I'm "experienced" - I'm hoping to land my first hs 3 this summer - but I ride switch half the time - it's cheezy but I alternate starts reg/goofy cause the board came with a video & that's what they suggested. Smile Honestly, the switch ts 180 was the easiest of the four w2w 180s for me to do, because the landing is so stable.

"I'd like to do now a sort of a gut-bucket bolero, in a primitive rhythm, executed in a pre-primitive manner."
- Edward Kennedy "Duke" Ellington, Paris, 1963
J_DOGG

PostPosted: Apr 23, 2003 8:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BIZZUCK -learn to read bro, cuz I mention that exact thing in my post..you will see it right after the word NOTE:

CHUMP!!!

Once again people need to read more an post less.....
PEACE

Aubs wrote:

J_DOGG

PostPosted: Apr 23, 2003 8:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BIZZUCK-I think I should call you a CHUMP again in case you didn't read it right the first time...

CHUMP!!!!

PEACE

Aubs wrote:

Annq42

PostPosted: Apr 23, 2003 12:42 pm    Post subject: Switch Reply with quote

Being someone who can do everything with both hands, and feet, I have found that riding switch is easy for me. I think it is important not to learn every trick switch but the basics especially spins, like 180's and 360. I think the spins are important, because a switch spin is the same as a normal BS spin. You will find that sometimes instead of learning a whole new trick, just by altering old ones you can come up with your own style of the same trick. I can do alot of basic inverts switch too, I have won a couple local tournys by doing a set of 360's switch 360, followed by switch scarecrow to scarecrow, its fun and it always takes people by surprise.
MoButta

PostPosted: Apr 24, 2003 4:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just wondering, which foot do you guys use to lead?
toothpick
Wakeboarder.Commie
Wakeboarder.Commie

PostPosted: Apr 24, 2003 4:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I naturally ride regular (left foot forward). I do have one friend though who wakeboards and snowboards regular, but skates goofy, and he's not that great at any of them switch...pretty weird Confused
x2xwakegurlx2x

PostPosted: Apr 24, 2003 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i ride left foot foward, but everyone is different, some are left foot foward, some are right, and some do both just the same
MoButta

PostPosted: Apr 24, 2003 5:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I ride right food forward and my friend rides left... i guess im the goofy one in the bunch Smile
tyybo
Soul Rider
Soul Rider

City: Fargo

PostPosted: Apr 25, 2003 6:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hahah ya im the same way, i can get the 180 flawlessly but then when i try to hold it i feel like im writing with the opposite hand or somethin, but after you practice it some it feels a little more natural
BigTimer
Soul Rider
Soul Rider

City: Rockford, MI

PostPosted: Apr 25, 2003 10:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

J DOGG- Isn't it great how we have trained ourselves to use footnotes to justify which phrases and words we use as precautionary measures to avoid being held under a microscope and critiqued because we said someone is more well-rounded, AND STILL SOMEONE HAS TO CRITIQUE YOU. ha ha. You can't even type how you would normally speak because someone will misinterpret what you said and take your head off. So you clarify your statements and still someone has to point it out and critique you. Amazing.

I hope that made sense...

BTW, I learned a switch Scarecrow before I learned it regular.
Want2ride
Outlaw
Outlaw

City: Layton, Utah

PostPosted: Apr 26, 2003 10:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Switch my not look as cool to someone who doesnt know much about the sport but if you pull off a smooth looking trick switch someone who know what it is will think that is sicker than some regular invert.

I hope you can understand that.
bizzuck
Addict
Addict

PostPosted: Apr 26, 2003 6:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

J-Dogg, i think you need to reread your post and my post. because you just sounded like a total moron.

speaking of "reading more and posting less"... is that why you post 2 messages back to back that were nearly identical

www.atlwake.com
Nathan Newman
Addict
Addict

PostPosted: Apr 26, 2003 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

you sound like a moron
j/k

c'mon guys, stop this stuff and chill out

-Gandhi

-Che Guevera
bizzuck
Addict
Addict

PostPosted: Apr 27, 2003 6:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dude called me a chump twice, what a loser so enough of this,,, i cant do jack switch other than 180s ive tried a switch crow before, but it was pretty ugly

www.atlwake.com
Fauker
Soul Rider
Soul Rider

PostPosted: Apr 27, 2003 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

it's funny because I can see how some of you misinterpreted what bizzy said, in fact I did after having first read it. Unfortunately it's easy to take things out of context on the internet. I personally know him and know that he gives major props to those that can throw switch tricks, while we all know - others could care less whether the w2w 9 so-and-so booted was switch or not...

He was saying (in his opinion and mine as well) that if rider A can do every trick in the world and rider B can do every trick regular and switch, we would consider B a better rider - that was the implied meaning. Mr. Green

I agree with bigtimer its funny how jdogg was covering himself from the flak he might have caught from the people who would likely jump on him for implying that those that do switch tricks might be more skilled

bizzuck
Addict
Addict

PostPosted: Apr 27, 2003 6:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thankyou fauker. i didnt realize that my sentence construction was so complex... hahahah

www.atlwake.com
tdes
Soul Rider
Soul Rider

City: Orlando

PostPosted: Apr 28, 2003 7:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm just starting really. Can clear the wake FS and HS, maybe a 180 here or there. But I've been spending a lot of my time learning this simple stuff riding switch, figuring that learning it now while I stink will keep me from getting too comfortable. What do you think? Should I work on some other types of tricks before I learn my switch wake jumps?
J_DOGG

PostPosted: Apr 28, 2003 8:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok I read it again- I still get the same thing out of it.

I guess if your post wasn't contrived with incomplete/incorrect words I might have been able to pick up on your sarcasm. but the first sentence in your post clearly reads and I quote "J-Dogg, well rounded doesnt mean better...."

I think my post clearly states my position on that right after the word NOTE:

Reading is fundamental, typing should be too.

PEACE

Aubs wrote:

madCat
Outlaw
Outlaw

PostPosted: Apr 28, 2003 10:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

J Dogg, I think you need to chill dude. Not everyone can be as cool as the mighty J Dogg. If you continued reading his sentence after the ... he explains his position more clearly. You don't need to continue to heap insults on the guy by ripping on his grammer.

I for one agree with his point. I think a well-rounded rider by definition is a better rider because he is more enjoyable to watch.

Just my 2 cents, but also feel free to rip on me for some lame reason.

By the way since you like to end your posts with PEACE, I figured you should understand the definition of PEACE ...

peace ( P ) Pronunciation Key (ps)
n.
The absence of war or other hostilities.
An agreement or a treaty to end hostilities.
Freedom from quarrels and disagreement; harmonious relations: roommates living in peace with each other.
Public security and order: was arrested for disturbing the peace.
Inner contentment; serenity: peace of mind.
tdes
Soul Rider
Soul Rider

City: Orlando

PostPosted: Apr 28, 2003 10:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Even though I can't do that much, I noticed that getting comfortable riding switch is helping my ability to recover from potential falls and is increasing my overall confidence. People who are comfortable with both positions also seem to just have a smoother style riding. Imagine watching a point guard in the NBA that can't dribble with his left hand. It would just look weird. To me it's one of the best parts of wakeboarding, as you can double the amount of tricks you know. Very few of my friends agree, however, and roll their eyes when I do a full set riding switch.

I've faced the facts, I'm not going to be a pro wakeboarder. I won't be doing any double 360 inverted ho-ho's or anything crazy like that. So for someone like myself, a smooth and unique riding style and some nice air on all 4 jumps (FS,HS, and SFS, SHS) is all I'm shooting for. From there I'll take the next step, which would be the eight possible combinations of jumps and rotations.
bizzuck
Addict
Addict

PostPosted: Apr 28, 2003 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

okay. here we go. let me see if can put this into words that idiots like J-Dogg can understand Razz J-Dogg, "well rounded doesnt mean better"-------what are you talking about... so you are saying that if i can do everything in the world, and you can do it (everything in the world) and then do it switch, that we are equal? (NO, because your doing 2x as many tricks as me) ... does this make sense now that i have used twice as many words to explain the same thing?

hahahaahha

www.atlwake.com
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wakeboarder Forum Index -> Trick Tips All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Add To Favorites

Jump to: