Wakeboarder Forum Index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   StatisticsStats   FavoritesFavorites   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages  Log inLog in 
BlogsBlogs   

Speaker Plans-> Would it work?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
QNev
Wakeboarder.com Freak
Wakeboarder.com Freak

City: Kamloops, BC

PostPosted: Sep 01, 2005 3:24 pm    Post subject: Speaker Plans-> Would it work? Reply with quote

A'ight so here are my plans for the speakers. Here's what I did with illustrator for my plans.
QNev
Wakeboarder.com Freak
Wakeboarder.com Freak

PostPosted: Sep 01, 2005 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh one more thing... FYI we have a Sony XR-CA330 amp/cassette player with a 6 Disk CD Stacker and two 4"x4" speakers connected
Cyclonecj
Soul Rider
Soul Rider

City: Atlanta

PostPosted: Sep 01, 2005 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep, it will work fine, but it puts the speakers in series. That won't hurt anything but the amp will put out about 1/2 the power into that load. That would be OK if you are running it from just a head unit but it won't be loud.

You would be better off running an amp and running two channels, one speaker per channel. Or, if you could bridge the amp, run mono into two speakers in parallel. THat way you would have the most power but it would be in mono. You don't get stereo separation 75' behind a boat anyway, you might be able to hear it that way.

QNev
Wakeboarder.com Freak
Wakeboarder.com Freak

PostPosted: Sep 01, 2005 8:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mono it is! I'm not too picky with sound unless it's from headphones, but how would you physically do that (what Cyclonecj said)? I mean, I'm not an expert with sound systems and our amp is pretty basic. What the 6 Disc Changer is plugged into is Audio In and right beside that is Audio Out which i'm guessing i'd wire into?

Also, my dad isn't too comfortable with this whole idea of having to wire on the outside of the tower Confused. Is there something that would either blend in or wouldn't look so shabby on the chrome of the tower rather than the PVC coated copper wire i'm going to use?

Thanks!

bighitbiker3
Soul Rider
Soul Rider

City: Seattle

PostPosted: Sep 01, 2005 10:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

drill into the tower and run it through the tower into the boat.
joedirt00
Wakeboarder.com Freak
Wakeboarder.com Freak

City: Baker City

PostPosted: Sep 02, 2005 3:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What kind of amp are you using?

If you are planning on using just one side of a 2 channel amp, it will sound like crap with some music. If the song has different things going on between left and right you are going to completely miss one side. You would need an amp that can be bridged to one channel at full range.

IMO run 2 sets of wires, you will be happier with the sound ove trying to do it mono.

-If you grab a girls hair, and it comes off in your hand, don't laugh, that could have been the best sex ever.
Cyclonecj
Soul Rider
Soul Rider

PostPosted: Sep 02, 2005 7:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can hear it behind the boat a lot better if it's mono. If you want to have the best sound in the boat, wire them stereo. If you are not running an amp, you won't hear them behind the boat anyway.
QNev
Wakeboarder.com Freak
Wakeboarder.com Freak

PostPosted: Sep 02, 2005 7:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sorry, but what does bridge mean? The audio out thing has a L and an R similar to the cables you use with like dvd players and game systems. Haha sorry.. i'm kind of new to this whole sound thing..
Wallrat
Soul Rider
Soul Rider

City: Huntington Beach

PostPosted: Sep 02, 2005 8:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bridged just means running 1 ch instead of 2. Amps will have it labeled one em which posts to wire to for bridged. When you get to the speakers, you can either run them in series or in parallel. In series you increase the resistance, thereby cutting the amp output in half. In parallel you lower the resistance, doubling the amps output, but the amp has to be able to handle the lower resistance.
QNev
Wakeboarder.com Freak
Wakeboarder.com Freak

PostPosted: Sep 02, 2005 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, sorry i'm still lost Razz Can someone make a diagram of how this would work?

I'll get a pic of the amp as soon as possible.

Haha thanks.

QNev
Wakeboarder.com Freak
Wakeboarder.com Freak

PostPosted: Sep 02, 2005 4:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's a pic. It's a bad pic.. can't turn the flash off Confused If anyone needs a better pic of where the speakers are wired into give me a shout!
Cyclonecj
Soul Rider
Soul Rider

PostPosted: Sep 02, 2005 8:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is not the speaker level out, that is the line level out. That is the right and left low level output to the big ass bridgeable amp you need to drive your tower speakers.

Break Out Another Thousand = BOAT

Go buy a power amp. I recommend Hifonics, they are sturdy and dirt cheap and they put out their advertised power. Get a two channel, bridge it mono for two tower speakers. DO NOT buy a class D amp, they are only for subs.

QNev
Wakeboarder.com Freak
Wakeboarder.com Freak

PostPosted: Sep 02, 2005 8:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A'ight... So this won't work unless I have an actual factual power amp? Razz There's no other way to cheap out and wire this into what the boat has with the power I'd need to hear this while riding?
onomado

PostPosted: Sep 08, 2005 10:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, you are going to need an amp to power 6.5' speakers to the SPL level needed to throw 75' behind the boat, and over the noise of the boat and the water and the wind. The amp is a pretty straightforward installation though. If you are antign to hear the speakers, you are going to have to suck it up and amp the tower speakers. f you have a small but bridgeable amp, then you can run the tower in mono and bridge the amp by running the speakers in parallel. I cant draw you a diagram, but the stereo shop employees are usually pretty good at explaining how to bridge and wire a couple of speakers...it will also depend on your amp which terminals to usefrom the amp to the speakers...usually its the left positive and the right negative on the amp itself. On the speakers, you will want to run a wire from the left speaker negative terminal to the right positive speaker terminal, another wire between the two negative speaker terminals, and then attach another potitive and negative pair of leads to the bridged portion of the amp outputs. HOpe this helps... Confused
Wallrat
Soul Rider
Soul Rider

City: Huntington Beach

PostPosted: Sep 08, 2005 12:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

J-Ro
PityDaFool Who Posts This Much
PityDaFool Who Posts This Much

City: Rocklin

PostPosted: Sep 08, 2005 12:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think you need to suck it up and go to a shop before you waste a bunch of money and piss off your Dad who is obviously already skeptical of this project.

Read My Blog

RIP Leggester
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wakeboarder Forum Index -> DIY Projects All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Add To Favorites

Jump to: