Wakeboarder Forum Index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   StatisticsStats   FavoritesFavorites   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages  Log inLog in 
BlogsBlogs   

Help with Fiberglass Speaker box

View previous topic :: View next topic  
kyle f
Addict
Addict

City: Norris Lake

PostPosted: Apr 12, 2009 8:50 pm    Post subject: Help with Fiberglass Speaker box Reply with quote

I have a set of 10" Audiobahn subs sitting here and I thought about putting one or both in my boat. My current sub is mounted behind the drivers chair and sounds nice in the cockpit. However those sitting in the bow really don’t get any of it, especially while moving. So, I had this thought to put one under the passenger side windshield area. Where the swing out cushion door is, except that I want to shove it up under where the front seat start to contour in. I want to face it forward to fill the area under the bow with bass to give the entire boat a more even sound.

As you know, this area has some nice contours. The deck to the floor, the bow seat coming down, etc. So, I thought to get a form I might use some "Great Stuff" expanding spray in insulation inside a garbage bag, stick it in there, let it expand to form, pull it out and use it as my template.

With this template, here are my thoughts. Trim the foam to the size I want in the from... think more depth wise here... the form would be for diameter or "sides". Put it on a board to get a pattern, trace it, and make a cut out pattern for the front. Cut it out, and cut hole in it for the sub mount.

Then after removing the bag and all, hollow out the insulating material a bit, then use some fleece or fiberglass matte to form around the insulation, attaching it to the wood so it makes a complete enclosure. Then coat it in resin. After it forms up, dig all the insulation material out, lay some matte and resin to the inside to add strength. Coat the outside with a thin layer of body filler, Sand, and Paint grey to match my carpet.

Add hole for speaker wire terminal puck, wire the inside to the sub, install sub, and place in boat.

Will this plan work, or is there another easier way?

After putting one here, I am thinking of putting another one in the back lockers possibly where i have more room to build a wood box and can build it to size to tune the encolsure to where the rest of the bass response seems to be lacking.

I am not about big heavy bass the drowns out the rest of the music, but I like a good solid punch. My musical taste seem to be mostly into heavy drum rock like Tool, Avenge Sevenfold, or going back a bit, Rush.

MB Sports B52 V23 with 2750lbs of Ballast Capable Smile
Crookcatchr

PostPosted: Apr 13, 2009 5:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think that it would work. I think that your major problem will be getting rid of all of the insulation once you have had the resin stick to it. I say try it and see how it goes. If that does not work try, try again.
kyle f
Addict
Addict

City: Norris Lake

PostPosted: Apr 13, 2009 8:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think it would be a major issue to have some of the insulation remaining inside the fiberglass.

MB Sports B52 V23 with 2750lbs of Ballast Capable Smile
Jenne Mathew

PostPosted: May 31, 2009 10:22 am    Post subject: I think it will work Reply with quote

I think your Fiberglasss Speaker box will work. But be careful with the insulating material. It would be better if you clear the insulating material before putting on the resin coat otherwise it might become a bit messy. You have a perfect idea so go ahead with it.
the fat kid

PostPosted: Jun 02, 2009 9:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

use a trash bag or similar plastic sheeting, like a drop cloth, betweent the fiberglass and the great stuff, it shouldnt stick. unless i just read that wrong and you already have that figuredd out...

and as far as the puck goes, id skip it, just leave a small hole for the wire to go through, good luck. post pics.
Wakeboarder3780
Wakeboarder.Commie
Wakeboarder.Commie

City: Wausau

PostPosted: Jun 02, 2009 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tinfoil my friend. Lay that over the foam form before matting. VOILA! instant release with no foam picking. Cheers.
the fat kid

PostPosted: Jun 02, 2009 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

same principal, the ones ive seen done use plastic cause i contours easier. but whatever works.
wrenchmonkey

PostPosted: Jul 08, 2009 2:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You could also do your box in two halves, on the form (for easy removal). Then just fiberglass the two halves together, once they're removed from the form...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wakeboarder Forum Index -> DIY Projects All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Add To Favorites

Jump to: